Start by marking “Heart 411: The Only Guide to Heart Health You'll Ever Need” as Want to Read:
Heart 411: The Only Guide to Heart Health You'll Ever Need

Heart 411: The Only Guide to Heart Health You'll Ever Need

The definitive guide to heart health from two of America's most respected doctors at Cleveland Clinic, the #1 hospital for heart health in America.

Are you one of the eighty-two million Americans currently diagnosed with cardiovascular disease—or one of the millions more whothink they are healthy but are at risk?Whether your goal is to get the best treatment or stay out of
Published January 31st 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Heart 411, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart 411

A.
May 13, 2012 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative book about taking care of your cardio health. Written in an easy to read style. Covers everything you need to know to take care of your heart. I learned quite a bit from this book and am recommending it to everyone. One interesting part of the book includes the exact medical history of Jim Fixx, the famous runner. So now there is no excuse not to run!
Kenneth Cook
Feb 15, 2016 Kenneth Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kenneth by: Jim Morford
Shelves: owned
Everyone should read and/or own this one. My cardiologist looked it over at my last appointment and wants it for himself and will recommend it to others. Learned a great deal.
Wells Lindsay
Nov 26, 2016 Wells Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best guide to heart health I have read

Since being diagnosed with heart disease I have read several books and this is by far the best. Easy to read and understand but very informative with solid information on what to do and why. After reading this book I talked to my cardiologist and devise a plan to improve my risks.
William
Oct 02, 2016 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cardiac concerns
Shelves: health
Read this if you have any concerns about heart problems or heart health.
Marian Deegan
Jan 31, 2015 Marian Deegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a medical writer, I have an enormous amount of empathy for anyone attempting online research to identify reliable, science-based information about medical issues and accurate data about nutrition, exercise, and other preventative healthcare measures. The internet is a rich source of information, but there's no concise reliable source, and much of the advice that surfaces is misinformed or downright wrong. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is no easy task.

That online maze is what makes Heart 4
Kaa
Oct 14, 2016 Kaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
[-Diabetis 1 -10%
-Hypertension -> stroke.
-Heart attacks in general are more frequent in the morning, in the winter, on Mondays.
-If the patient does not recover after 3-4 months normal functioning after the stroke, most likely can't recover further.
-Alcohol: lowers HDL, reduces blood clotting
-Big six: 1. Statin -lower cholesterol level, 2. Aspirin - prevents blood clots, 3. Clopidogrel - prevents blood clots, 4. Warfarin - prevents blood clots, 5. Beta-blockers - heart attack, to lower blo
Ruth Howell
Mar 01, 2014 Ruth Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, let me say that Dr. Gillinov performed heart valve surgery on me. So, I'm kind of partial. But I do consider my self a very honest. The book is a wealth of important information for anyone who has a heart problem, atherosclerosis, etc. or for anyone who wants to live a healthy lifestyle. He debunks some common myths and gives realistic advice about heart health and getting and staying healthy. My husband also read it and loved it and has put Dr. Gillinov's advice into action in his own li ...more
Lesley
Jul 21, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-heart
This is an excellent, comprehensive guide to heart disease. It is easy to read and not too overwhelming but covers everything from surgery to medications to psychosocial issues. Unfortunately, it didn't cover less common events or heart attacks that result from very few risk factors but it was still very helpful.
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Kimberly A. Catanzarite
Kimberly A. Catanzarite rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Stu
Stu rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Marilyn Mann
Marilyn Mann rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Kathleen Budacki
Kathleen Budacki rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Ron Schmitz
Ron Schmitz rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Jason Voegele
Jason Voegele rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Ellen Chow Yan Yi
Ellen Chow Yan Yi rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Alexei
Alexei rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2015
Bill Erosh
Bill Erosh rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Jennie McCarthy
Jennie McCarthy rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Frances
Frances rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Jane Gunn
Jan 23, 2016 Jane Gunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accurate heart information
Sally Stevenson
Sally Stevenson rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Alexander Midence
Alexander Midence rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Christopher Prosser
Christopher Prosser rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Shawn Phillips
Shawn Phillips rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Jim Hendrickx
Jim Hendrickx rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Cleveland Clinic cardiac surgeon Dr. Marc Gillinov is one of the world’s premier heart doctors. With patients ranging from Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams to his barber, Vince, Dr. Gillinov has performed open-heart surgery on more than 5000 people.

A graduate of Yale University (summa cum laude), Dr. Gillinov was first in his class at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He complete
More about Marc Gillinov...

“Drinking just one can of regular soda per day could lead to an annual weight gain of fifteen pounds.” 0 likes