Start by marking “The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be” as Want to Read:
The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be

The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  25 reviews
“An in-depth, scientific—yet hopeful and positive—look at how the brain and body work together . . . [Dr. Martha Herbert] has developed a new way of seeing autism.”—Library Journal

After years of treating patients and analyzing scientific data, Harvard Medical School researcher and clinician Dr. Martha Herbert offers a revolutionary new view of autism and a transformativ
Published March 27th 2012 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Autism Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autism Revolution

Apr 25, 2012 Jim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is impacted by autism, or wants a better understanding of it
Recommended to Jim by: my knowledge of the author's work
I am going to recommend this now because I am quite familiar with the author's work, and I regard her as a hero in the campaign to understand and treat autism from a whole-body perspective. Martha Herbert is a pediatric neurologist at Harvard, and an incredibly gifted thinker and doer in the autism research and treatment community. This book is new and current, and I just learned about it today.

I have started reading it, and will have more to say soon. It appears to be very well-written - in the
"If you know one kid with autism, then you know one kid with autism." This is essential reading if your child has autism or you think he might. I wish I would have read this years ago. I'll be reading this a few more times for sure. A chunk of this book involves a bunch of science that when right over my head.

The autism spectrum is diverse. It is great to read about children who were diagnosed with autism and had extreme behavioral and social issues/delays and with some changes in diet and appr
Rachel Woodruff
Dr. Herbert has some valid points, she writes from a common sense perspective. What we eat is important, diet determines a lot when it comes to health and so it makes perfect sense that the right kind of diet can help improve a child's health. That being said while a lot of what she put in her book was common sense there was a lot of irritating points also. Her term "neurotypical" comes to mind. For me as a reader I hate the notion that everyone has to be labeled, and Dr. Herbert breaks it down ...more
A must read for anyone with a child on the spectrum. Refreshing to hear a Harvard pediatric neurologist say that diet/nutrition does make a difference and that people can recover. She is very knowledgable, and covers everything from why it's important to eat grass-fed beef to why you shouldn't give a child tylenol after immunizations.
Stef Leanne
best book ever!!!! omg I have learnt so much about Autism in this book alone it's not even funny! I can't wait to work with special needs children and help them!!
Justin Tapp
I think it's inappropriate to use "revolution" or "miracle" in a book title unless one is writing about historical and supernatural events. This title wasn't even the publisher's choice, it was the author's-- she repeats the word often. I am disappointed to see how highly this book is rated on Amazon.

This book's main idea in one paragraph:
Whatever problem your child has, try changing his or her diet in small ways and see what happens. Keep a log of the changes and try to do it systematically-- t
Dr. Herbert is a pediatric neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital and director of the TRANSCEND Research Program. She is an assistant professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and a correspondent to the Boston Globe.

For many years, scientists have said that autism is a genetic condition that requires a cure. During her career, Dr. Herbert has worked with many autistic children during her neurology research. During this time, she started noticing that autistic children seemed to hav
Alan Bates
The Autism Revolution is an extraordinary book. It is a book written by a Martha Herbert, MD, PhD a Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School and Karen Weintraub, a journalist. The book is extraordinary because the authors step beyond the research to talk about what they see and what they think about autism and how to treat it. They discusses the research into the causes of autism and how inconclusive they are. Yes there is a genetic component but it is much more complicated tha ...more
Gilmara Mendes
I have previously read about food allergies and their effect on the human brain, but this book presents an interesting view about what bad food can do, not only to the autistic brain, but to a neurotypical brain, too.
The whole body perspective should be read at least three times, so that all its information could be absorbed. It is very enlightening and informative.
The narrator had a good, not great performance. Sometimes I felt like sleeping while listening, and you should be very alert in ord
Very informative book on Autism. Whether you have a child with Autism or just want to know more about this mysterious diagnosis this is a must read. There is also information that you can apply to your own personal life in order to just live healthier.
Douglas Tatelman
What a disapointment. You see "professor at Harvard" and you expect exciting new information. Instead it's like another Jenny McCarthy.
Though this book contains some fairly innovative (or at least unorthodox) ideas regarding how autism should be viewed and treated, and though said ideas display much potential for application, it is hampered at every step by its own amateurish writing. The prose is lumpy and misshapen, alternately redundant and contradictory, and carries a patronizing tone throughout that runs counter to its purported message of compassion. That, in addition to rather lazy argumentation, makes this a book of nob ...more
The author has some interesting ideas about autism. In general, she believes that inflammation of brain cells can cause autism. Her suggestions include dietary controls, avoiding toxins (don't live next to heavy industry, etc.), and reducing stress.

There are certainly some merits to this argument, but the presentation is flawed. This would make a really good 10-page pamphlet. Instead, the author repeats herself over and over to increase the page count. I'm glad I borrowed this from a library.
3.5 stars... full review soon *yawn*
Nothing too earth shattering I certainly agree with the possibility of "overload" being responsible for the rise in Autism diagnosis. We are certainly exposing our kids to alot more toxins at earlier ages than ever before. I found the information on Mitochondria function interesting, might delve into this a little more...couldn't finish, too repetitive, and I kept falling asleep...
Jean Brazil
This book presents the idea that a lot of things may work together to cause autism, and therefore, a lot of things may need to be tried to help improve the condition for individuals with autism. I am glad that it didn't jump on the immunization theory, but I still wonder if the emphasis on gluten free casein free diet is proven. Not as much to apply in the classroom as I had hoped.
D. Herbert's instruction on how cellular activity contributes to the health of both our mind and our body seems a logical way to research autism. Dr. Herbert provides sensible approaches that we can employ. She is optimistic about the positive outcomes for many who have the autism diagnosis and encourages us to share what we are learning in our individual families.
Jane Lebak
I'm too burnt out to think enough about this book to give it a fair review. I ended it feeling overwhelmed by all the potential areas she suggested for change and not knowing even where to start.
Very good and informative. I really liked it.
Kathy Blair
A well researched book with long term solutions to such a serious issue. I think all parents and professionals who work with people with autism would benefit from reading this book.
more advanced book based on mix of author's observation and some studies. it has the harvard medical school pub. stamp.

A bit disappointing. The strategies outlined were more general than I would have liked.
Gives hope to parents going through the maze of autism.
interesting read about autism, nutrition and the brain!
Christy Harrill
So much great information. I learned a lot.
Shelley marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Fela Dales
Fela Dales marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Patricia D.
Patricia D. is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2015
Melissa is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2015
Trish marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • The Golden Hat: Talking Back to Autism
  • Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Strange Son
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Thorn in My Pocket: Temple Grandin's Mother Tells the Family Story
  • Osler's Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic
  • How to Talk to an Autistic Kid
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
  • Different, Not Less: Ultimate Success Stories from People with Autism and Asperger's
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • Alignment Matters: The First Five Years of Katy Says
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • Neuroscience