Start by marking “Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing” as Want to Read:
Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing

Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The eight-year-old child is an exuberant,outgoing bundle of energy; he meets every challengehead-on, willing to try almost anything. Sometimesparents are amazed at the enthusiasm and excitementwith which their child greets theworld.

However, eight is also a time when the childbegins to do a great deal of analyzing andevaluating, finding fault in himself andothers--especiall
Published January 18th 2012 by Dell (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Your Eight Year Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Eight Year Old

Not the best in this series, but every time I read one of these I realize I have not failed parenting and what my kids are doing is developmentally appropriate. Happy to read age 8 is a long equilibrium phase.
Angela
Another great book in the series of parenting books for all ages. I am always amazed that even though these books were written a while ago and are understandably a little outdated in research (in this case I think the book if written today would include discussions of dyslexia, autism, Asperger's and ADHD), its fundamental observations of children still apply. It is reassuring to me to read about certain behaviors I see from my children and know that they are normal.
Monique
You just can't beat this series of books for the simple, direct and immediately usable information they impart. Every time I read one I have several "aha!" moments where I feel I have just been vindicated or learn that my daughter's behavior is not such a mystery after all -it's totally normal.
Melissa
These books are always helpful, although they seem less so the older the kids get. I picked up a couple good tips about what's going in my eight-year-old's head so it was definitely worth the time.
Amalia
What a quick and enlightening read this was! So glad it was recommended to me. It has really given me a peek into what may be going on inside my son's mind and how he is experiencing life right now…and I think I will be a better parent to him for it. Off to read the next book in the series to prepare for the nines!
Dolly
May 29, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to learn more about their children's developmental stages
This is a short book that outlines the typical personality characteristics and quirks that defines the eight-year-old child. So far, in my limited experience, it's fairly spot on and it highlighted to me the cyclical nature of child development, where children drift in and out of inwardized behavior and outwardized behavior as well as shifts in disequilibrium and equilibrium.

While not all situations or behaviors will fit every child, it is still a good guide for what to expect. As it was first
Sara
This is a great series of books. If you can overlook some of the old-fashioned things in the book, you can really gain a lot of information about what to expect from your child at each age. The funny thing that surprised me in this book was a letter where a mom complained about her daughter's lack of neatness but admitted that she didn't expect her son to be neat and cleaned up after him all the time. So, not the way of the 21st century! I'd love to see an addition on computer and video games si ...more
Jill
I enjoy this quit hit reminder/intro to what I'm about to walk into with my new 8 year old. While the context and many of the tips/techniques seem somewhat outdated, I still find a helpful nugget or two. And it doesn't hurt that this is only 100 + pages!
ayesha Akhtar
excellent, as usual. i wish the educators at my children's school would read this. eight year old's struggle for independence and the balance between self-reliance and letting go of mom. The author states 8's have the most difficult relationship with mom ever, and that a smooth relationship with dad can help get to 9. i always refer to this series, as my children have demonstrated behavior, attitudes and habits that are spot on with Dr Ames' research! only reason why it's not 5 stars is that it ...more
Jen
Some good insights.... Even though i could have told you *before* I read this that my eight year old is needy, dramatic, struggling to be independent and all those things, it does help to feel like those things are normal. I did find myself having a bit more patience after reading it. It helped me to realize that our relationship is undergoing vast changes and i need to be listening to her as we go along, otherwise I am going to be ill-attuned to her needs in a very short while....
Carolyn
This book was pretty good, though sort of out of date (written back in the 70/80's and my illustrations were original to the book). But it does prove that children are the same, whether it's the 1980's or the 2000's. Interesting reading, though slightly dull - glad I never decided to be a child development major! I did find out that much of what my son is doing is perfectly normal to his age. I would recommend this series to any parent.
Amy
I remember liking this series of books years ago as an education student but looking at them again as a parent I see they are so generalized and stereotypical that I have a hard time believing they can be of use to anyone in specific. I can find nothing in them that remotely describes my child and even if I could I don't think I'd follow this one-size fits all advice.
Cynthia
I just love this series. If nothing else it helps me to step back, take a breath and remember that what my children are doing is (mostly) normal and age appropriate. These are books are super quick reads so even if you only gain one or two insights, it's worth it. They help keep things in perspective and remind you "this too shall pass" when you are feeling frustrated!
Lee Anne
Another in the series of age-based parenting books. Much like when I read Your Seven Year Old last year, I found the facts interesting--apparently, my eight year old will both cling to and fight with me, while doting on her father, this year--and the book itself desperately in need of an update for the 2000s.
Brenda
This book explained to me why my eight-year-old son is doing the things he is doing and it helped me to understand that he is right where he is supposed to be and he's doing the "normal" things 8-year old boys do.
Jen
Convenient that I finished this one up right as P turned 9, right? I wish, I'm just moving on to Your 9 Year Old. Great books though, even if they are dated.
Nomi
A great resource about typically developing kids. A bit outdated and no mention of anyone with special needs, but fast, easy, and pretty accurate.
Berit
Some sound advice, though often quite dated; it can be fun to compare parenting practices from 20+ years ago to ours now!
Jaclyn
Sep 09, 2009 Jaclyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of children getting ready to or just turned 8
A fast read and good resource for parents of children getting ready to turn or just turned 8.
Stacy
As with all these books in the series - they are dated but they are interesting and quick reads.
Stacy
Really not as insightful or useful as the others in the series up to this point.
nia
nia is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Shala Howell
Shala Howell marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious He Hit Me First: When Brothers and Sisters Fight Your Seven-Year-Old: Life in a Minor Key Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing