Start by marking “Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing” as Want to Read:
Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing

Your Eight Year Old: Lively and Outgoing

The eight-year-old child is an exuberant,outgoing bundle of energy; he meets every challengehead-on, willing to try almost anything. Sometimesparents are amazed at the enthusiasm and excitementwith which their child greets theworld.

However, eight is also a time when the childbegins to do a great deal of analyzing andevaluating, finding fault in himself andothers--especiall
Published January 18th 2012 by Dell (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Your Eight Year Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Eight Year Old

Jun 26, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Not the best in this series, but every time I read one of these I realize I have not failed parenting and what my kids are doing is developmentally appropriate. Happy to read age 8 is a long equilibrium phase.
Angela
Jun 08, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series of parenting books for all ages. I am always amazed that even though these books were written a while ago and are understandably a little outdated in research (in this case I think the book if written today would include discussions of dyslexia, autism, Asperger's and ADHD), its fundamental observations of children still apply. It is reassuring to me to read about certain behaviors I see from my children and know that they are normal.
Lee Anne
May 01, 2013 Lee Anne rated it it was ok
Another in the series of age-based parenting books. Much like when I read Your Seven Year Old last year, I found the facts interesting--apparently, my eight year old will both cling to and fight with me, while doting on her father, this year--and the book itself desperately in need of an update for the 2000s.
Monique
Jan 27, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You just can't beat this series of books for the simple, direct and immediately usable information they impart. Every time I read one I have several "aha!" moments where I feel I have just been vindicated or learn that my daughter's behavior is not such a mystery after all -it's totally normal.
Melissa
These books are always helpful, although they seem less so the older the kids get. I picked up a couple good tips about what's going in my eight-year-old's head so it was definitely worth the time.
Shayla
Nov 11, 2014 Shayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out dated, dumbed down, and sexist; but ultimately worth the read for some good info on typical 8 year olds, especially in regards to coping behavior.
Lisa
Dec 27, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series really needs an update, but still helpful info. And some nice insights to why my daughter was has become my shadow.
Macy Michele
Sep 24, 2016 Macy Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are still my reference to understand what is going on with my children developmentally.
Dolly
May 29, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to learn more about their children's developmental stages
This is a short book that outlines the typical personality characteristics and quirks that defines the eight-year-old child. So far, in my limited experience, it's fairly spot on and it highlighted to me the cyclical nature of child development, where children drift in and out of inwardized behavior and outwardized behavior as well as shifts in disequilibrium and equilibrium.

While not all situations or behaviors will fit every child, it is still a good guide for what to expect. As it was first
Sara
Jul 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This is a great series of books. If you can overlook some of the old-fashioned things in the book, you can really gain a lot of information about what to expect from your child at each age. The funny thing that surprised me in this book was a letter where a mom complained about her daughter's lack of neatness but admitted that she didn't expect her son to be neat and cleaned up after him all the time. So, not the way of the 21st century! I'd love to see an addition on computer and video games si ...more
Martha
May 14, 2016 Martha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martha by: Jeanhee (via Cathy)
I didn't finish this book, so take the review with a grain of salt, but it seemed to me to be largely made up of generalizations that probably don't apply to a large percentage of kids--for instance, saying that kids at a certain age will be outgoing. I suppose even shy kids might be a little more outgoing at certain ages than others, but I'm not sure I buy this. Also, there's some quasi-scientific stuff about how different body types--endomorph, ectomorph, and mesomorph--will act. A bit dated a ...more
ayesha Akhtar
Nov 22, 2010 ayesha Akhtar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent, as usual. i wish the educators at my children's school would read this. eight year old's struggle for independence and the balance between self-reliance and letting go of mom. The author states 8's have the most difficult relationship with mom ever, and that a smooth relationship with dad can help get to 9. i always refer to this series, as my children have demonstrated behavior, attitudes and habits that are spot on with Dr Ames' research! only reason why it's not 5 stars is that it ...more
Jen Holman
Some good insights.... Even though i could have told you *before* I read this that my eight year old is needy, dramatic, struggling to be independent and all those things, it does help to feel like those things are normal. I did find myself having a bit more patience after reading it. It helped me to realize that our relationship is undergoing vast changes and i need to be listening to her as we go along, otherwise I am going to be ill-attuned to her needs in a very short while....
Carolyn
Feb 16, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good, though sort of out of date (written back in the 70/80's and my illustrations were original to the book). But it does prove that children are the same, whether it's the 1980's or the 2000's. Interesting reading, though slightly dull - glad I never decided to be a child development major! I did find out that much of what my son is doing is perfectly normal to his age. I would recommend this series to any parent.
Cynthia
Aug 13, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads, parenting
I just love this series. If nothing else it helps me to step back, take a breath and remember that what my children are doing is (mostly) normal and age appropriate. These are books are super quick reads so even if you only gain one or two insights, it's worth it. They help keep things in perspective and remind you "this too shall pass" when you are feeling frustrated!
Amalia
Feb 20, 2014 Amalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a quick and enlightening read this was! So glad it was recommended to me. It has really given me a peek into what may be going on inside my son's mind and how he is experiencing life right now…and I think I will be a better parent to him for it. Off to read the next book in the series to prepare for the nines!
Amy
Mar 10, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember liking this series of books years ago as an education student but looking at them again as a parent I see they are so generalized and stereotypical that I have a hard time believing they can be of use to anyone in specific. I can find nothing in them that remotely describes my child and even if I could I don't think I'd follow this one-size fits all advice.
Brenda
May 20, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explained to me why my eight-year-old son is doing the things he is doing and it helped me to understand that he is right where he is supposed to be and he's doing the "normal" things 8-year old boys do.
Jill
May 11, 2014 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this quit hit reminder/intro to what I'm about to walk into with my new 8 year old. While the context and many of the tips/techniques seem somewhat outdated, I still find a helpful nugget or two. And it doesn't hurt that this is only 100 + pages!
Jan 04, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spot on developmentally and dated as always. Always a nice way a knowing what to watch out for in the year ahead.
Nomi
Jan 27, 2010 Nomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource about typically developing kids. A bit outdated and no mention of anyone with special needs, but fast, easy, and pretty accurate.
Jen
Convenient that I finished this one up right as P turned 9, right? I wish, I'm just moving on to Your 9 Year Old. Great books though, even if they are dated.
Suzanne Freeland
As others have said, parts of it are outdated and sexist, but it does have a good overview of typical 8 year old behavior and motivations.
Berit
Feb 10, 2008 Berit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some sound advice, though often quite dated; it can be fun to compare parenting practices from 20+ years ago to ours now!
Dana Jennings
Dana Jennings rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
Denise (TeenBookLook)
Denise (TeenBookLook) rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Katie Newton
Katie Newton rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
Eva Sippel
Eva Sippel rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Inside Transracial Adoption
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family (Sears Parenting Library)
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • Sleep Is for the Weak: The Best of the Mommybloggers Including Amalah, Finslippy, Fussy, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Mom-101, and More! (BlogHer Books)
  • How Weaning Happens
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
  • Festivals, Family, and Food: A Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family

“Eight-year-olds are quite normally all mixed up with their mothers. The mother-child relationship at this age is one of the strongest, deepest, most demanding, and yet most tangled to date.” 0 likes