Start by marking “Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender” as Want to Read:
Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

Are two-year-olds really so terrible, or does the world have a slightly skewed view of this sometimes difficult, sometimes adorable lot? Drs. Ames and Ilg, recognized worldwide as authorities on child behavior and development, offer parents practical advice and enlightening psychological insights on children this age.

What are two-year-old girls and boys thinking and feel
Published January 18th 2012 by Dell (first published August 15th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Your Two-Year-Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Two-Year-Old

Mar 17, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this--albeit somewhat outdated--series. There's nothing revolutionary in here, but it's a reassuring voice that tells you what your irrational little critter is going through. Unlike other parenting books that are packed with more information than you need (thorough lists of equipment, possible meals, etc.), this one focuses solely on your two yo's mental and emotional life and how it affects you. A quick read that gave me an extra dose of empathy.
Beth A.
Apr 09, 2009 Beth A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth A. by: Laura
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
This book was written in 1976. I was 4. But I haven't seen a more recent book that so specifically describes approximate age related behaviors and how they relate to discipline issues.
Ames' writing is easy to read. It's gentle, kind, and compassionate, reminding me to be, too.

I laughed when Ames described that one of two year olds favorite games is putting their dolls or stuffed animals to bed. I often see my daughter spreading a favorite blanket over her stuffed animal babies.

She describes so
Apr 11, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me almost two months to read this because it was non-fiction and not terribly insightful.
I did enjoy the things that were totally backwards from today like when she suggested buckling your toddler up in the backseat because some toddlers can be distracting to the driver but on the other hand the front seat allows the child to see more. I learned some things like typical children go through a phase about 18 months and then the "terrible twos" are typically at two and a half years old. The
This book was written in the 1970s and I found some of it very dated. For instance, some techinques involve giving "licks" or tying your child into their room. There is a LOT of very sexist advice about what mothers and fathers should do and very rigid roles, as well as some other pretty out of date notions.
That said, I was reading for advice about my daughter's behavior and how I can react. I did like the specific points that had me nodding in agreement---how giving choices can be great sometim
My favorite line is: "Do not be surprised if you are unduly fatigued at the end of day." I was also entertained by: "domestic play also includes having dolls or animals be sick, asleep, cold, warm, or nice," and "Even when nothing else is accepted most will eat crispy, circus-type foods such as popcorn, peanuts, or crackers."
This book was helpful as an overview but could use a good editor—the same idea is conveyed several times each page without any additional depth.
Also the 1976-ness of it sh
Mar 16, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's a classic, but this book REALLY needs updating. I suspect most of us don't have to worry about whether or not to put our 2 year old child in the front seat or the back seat of the car (honestly, even in the late 70s when I was 2, car seats were the norm), I don't think most Americans consider spanking their children (I found it disturbing that according to this book the most common story 2 year old girls told was about being spanked), not that the book supported spanking, it just off ...more
Feb 16, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate that this book exists. I can't stand books that tell me how to raise my child and what methods are best. This book is not that. This book does tell you how your child may be acting at the age of two and two and a half (the book actually separates the two ages). It gives advice on potential ways to help you along with raising a two year old, but also mentions alternatives that might be better depending on your child. More than anything, it has helped me be a little more sympat ...more
This was a really great read on the developmental normalities of a 2-year-old. It was very helpful and informative, regardless of the fact that it is out of date in places. Many times I felt like I was reading about my son, and it was nice to confirm that his behavior is typical. It was not so much for practical use, but to understand their mental and physical states at this age.

The last chapter is questions that were written to the author by parents. I found them to be totally useless. Many ti
Oct 03, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book, first published in the 80s, through a recommendation in The Blessing of a Skinned Knee. As promised, it's a good resource for parents who wonder if the oppositional behavior of a toddler is "normal." The authors present a comprehensive portrait of a two-year-old's physical, mental, emotional, and social development, including possible variations that may occur with different children. They give practical, common-sense tips for making life easier with a small tyrant. The only d ...more
Jess Dollar
I read these books when my older kids were little. Now I have another toddler and need some reminding of what's normal so I found this and read it. It's hilariously sexist and outdated but still on point with normal 2 year old behavior. Just ignore the parts about giving toddlers tranquilizers and putting them in the front seat of the car!
Keith Peters
Scattered and incomplete. There's some decent suggestions to be patient and loving with your kid but they're not explicit. There's also a frightful amount of condoning corporal punishment as well as a distinct lack of responsibility for training your children.
Dec 04, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure, this is dated but it is extremely helpful and written in an engaging manner. Very reassuring for a first time mother, with excellent tips on dealing with issues and also comfort about what really is developmentally normal.
Brenda Ricker
Being the grandparent of a 2 1/2 year old this book helped me understand why and where my grandson is, although he seems to be ahead in most of the areas especially language. Helpful info for first time parents.
Aug 06, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you can get past some of the outdated thinking this series of books really are a helpful guide to parents. Found a lot of behaviors I recognize already and it helps me to think ahead for the coming year.
Mar 09, 2014 Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
while written in the 1970s it is still a good explanation of normal childhood development. I found the suggestions very helpful and aspects of each of my children described in various aspects of 2.
Aug 22, 2014 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it turns out, 2.5-year-olds today are not that different than they were 35 years ago. I thought this book offered helpful perspective, and the old-fashioned tone at times made me giggle.
Joe Silber
Nov 03, 2013 Joe Silber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, wryly amusing, and sometimes very dated book that none the less provides a good overview of "normal" 2 year old behavior. I occasionally laughed out loud at reading a description of toddler behavior that was all too familiar, such as this: "The person he wants [to help him] is whatever person is not available at the moment, and if everyone is available, his demand may change to 'Me do it myself.'" Don't expect miracle cures here, just common sense and reassurance that your struggle ...more
Jan 13, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was uncanny how accurate this book was. A great resource for understanding difficult behavior, but also for contextualizing the seemingly "random" behavior of 2-year-olds so that you can understand the milestones that are happening and encourage them in development.
Hannah Notess
Great helpful descriptions of the developmental stage and what kids this age like to do and are interested in. Some things are hilariously dated ("A boy may like to have his own phonograph...") but the descriptions of how 2 year olds act are very useful.

Plus the line "Dear Doctor, my child is a combination of all the naughty children who ever were..." gives us some good laugh mileage.
Jan 12, 2014 Stefanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a terrible book. If you have a two year old you know what they do, but this book provides a play by play of them just in case you don't actually have a kid. There's nothing insightful about their behavior and the section of questions is filled with outdated housewife problems and normalcy in spanking. Worse than the What to Expect series!
Ginger Clausen
Oct 13, 2012 Ginger Clausen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best series of books for parenting children aged 1-8! These books have helped me countless times in raising my four kids! The books show the stages of learning that chidren go through so you can understand why your child is behaving the way they are- what they are learning and how that affects their behavior. Kids are pretty predictable as they go through the basic stages such as self awareness and attachment to parents, learning, etc.
Katie Casey
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I previously read Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old and now that Micah has turned 2 had to read this one too! These are great (though a little out-dated) books that help parents know what developmental milestones to expect and how to deal with typical problems that may come up.
Reianna Cambridge
I loved this book! It mostly explains why a two-year-old does what they do. I felt like this book was just like opening my two-year-old's brain and telling me what's inside. My absolute favorite part was at the very end. The book gives you a list of toys that are perfect for this age and a list of books that are really good to read to your two-year-old. I will definitly read the other ones they have as he gets older.
May 30, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved me from daily tears and my oldest from daily spankings. I have turned to it over and over again through the years, for each of my own children, and for countless nieces, nephews, neighbors, and friends. Even though it was written years ago, it's insight into what is normal and what can be expected from your 2 year old is timeless. This book started me on the series.
Sep 21, 2012 langa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2012
A bit dated, but still enlightening. I appreciated getting a sense of the normal range of behaviours for the age and also techniques that can be helpful when working with a 2 year old. It was interesting to understand how a 2 year old views their world. Also, always helpful is the reminder about the approximate ages when a child will experience disequilibrium and equilibrium.
Nov 18, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that describes the two year old in terms of pshyical, emotional, moral development, typical behaviors, problems, language development, sex differneces - and more! It helped me to place Catherine in context and to relax about some of her more challenging moments and to savor the sweeter ones.
Apr 27, 2009 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in a great series about childhood development. Informative, straightforward, and reassuring that your child is "normal". Recommends a relaxed approach to undesired behavior rather than encouraging attempts to force your child into something developmentally beyond their ability.
Oct 06, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I but the corresponding number to my childs age every year on their birthday and read it cover to cover. SOme of the info is dates but most of it is pretty relevant. My kdis love to hear me read aloud some sections to tell them what they can expect over the next year.
May 13, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting stuff about how kids this age see the world, and how they act in it. Very helpful for those of us who never spent a lot of time around kids. It's charmingly (or offensively, depending on your perspective) out of date in spots, but worth the read, and super short.
Aug 13, 2010 Jannie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was good until the authors explained that the best way to potty train a child is to put newspaper on the ground and let your child run around nude until they go on the paper. That, and all hyper kids should be medicated. Are they writing about kids or dogs?
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • The Irreducible Needs Of Children: What Every Child Must Have To Grow, Learn, And Flourish
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed)
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • The Christian Parenting Handbook: 50 Heart-Based Strategies for All the Stages of Your Child's Life
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Sensory Integration and the Child: 25th Anniversary Edition
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Playful Parenting