Start by marking “Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender” as Want to Read:
Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Are two-year-olds really so terrible, or does the world have a slightly skewed view of this sometimes difficult, sometimes adorable lot? Drs. Ames and Ilg, recognized worldwide as authorities on child behavior and development, offer parents practical advice and enlightening psychological insights on children this age.

What are two-year-old girls and boys thinking and feel
Published January 18th 2012 by Dell (first published August 15th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Your Two-Year-Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Two-Year-Old

Susan
I really enjoyed this--albeit somewhat outdated--series. There's nothing revolutionary in here, but it's a reassuring voice that tells you what your irrational little critter is going through. Unlike other parenting books that are packed with more information than you need (thorough lists of equipment, possible meals, etc.), this one focuses solely on your two yo's mental and emotional life and how it affects you. A quick read that gave me an extra dose of empathy.
Beth A.
Apr 09, 2009 Beth A. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth A. by: Laura
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
This book was written in 1976. I was 4. But I haven't seen a more recent book that so specifically describes approximate age related behaviors and how they relate to discipline issues.
Ames' writing is easy to read. It's gentle, kind, and compassionate, reminding me to be, too.

I laughed when Ames described that one of two year olds favorite games is putting their dolls or stuffed animals to bed. I often see my daughter spreading a favorite blanket over her stuffed animal babies.

She describes so
Becky
It took me almost two months to read this because it was non-fiction and not terribly insightful.
I did enjoy the things that were totally backwards from today like when she suggested buckling your toddler up in the backseat because some toddlers can be distracting to the driver but on the other hand the front seat allows the child to see more. I learned some things like typical children go through a phase about 18 months and then the "terrible twos" are typically at two and a half years old. The
Elizabeth
I really appreciate that this book exists. I can't stand books that tell me how to raise my child and what methods are best. This book is not that. This book does tell you how your child may be acting at the age of two and two and a half (the book actually separates the two ages). It gives advice on potential ways to help you along with raising a two year old, but also mentions alternatives that might be better depending on your child. More than anything, it has helped me be a little more sympat ...more
Kryptique
This book was written in the 1970s and I found some of it very dated. For instance, some techinques involve giving "licks" or tying your child into their room. There is a LOT of very sexist advice about what mothers and fathers should do and very rigid roles, as well as some other pretty out of date notions.
That said, I was reading for advice about my daughter's behavior and how I can react. I did like the specific points that had me nodding in agreement---how giving choices can be great sometim
This was a really great read on the developmental normalities of a 2-year-old. It was very helpful and informative, regardless of the fact that it is out of date in places. Many times I felt like I was reading about my son, and it was nice to confirm that his behavior is typical. It was not so much for practical use, but to understand their mental and physical states at this age.

The last chapter is questions that were written to the author by parents. I found them to be totally useless. Many ti
Alison
I found this book, first published in the 80s, through a recommendation in The Blessing of a Skinned Knee. As promised, it's a good resource for parents who wonder if the oppositional behavior of a toddler is "normal." The authors present a comprehensive portrait of a two-year-old's physical, mental, emotional, and social development, including possible variations that may occur with different children. They give practical, common-sense tips for making life easier with a small tyrant. The only d ...more
Sure, this is dated but it is extremely helpful and written in an engaging manner. Very reassuring for a first time mother, with excellent tips on dealing with issues and also comfort about what really is developmentally normal.
Paul
If you can get past some of the outdated thinking this series of books really are a helpful guide to parents. Found a lot of behaviors I recognize already and it helps me to think ahead for the coming year.
Chase
while written in the 1970s it is still a good explanation of normal childhood development. I found the suggestions very helpful and aspects of each of my children described in various aspects of 2.
Kristi
As it turns out, 2.5-year-olds today are not that different than they were 35 years ago. I thought this book offered helpful perspective, and the old-fashioned tone at times made me giggle.
Kim
A good summary of average toddler behavior. I could certainly relate to many things mentioned, but I didn't have any "aha!" moments while reading. I appreciated its brevity.
Joe Silber
Easy to read, wryly amusing, and sometimes very dated book that none the less provides a good overview of "normal" 2 year old behavior. I occasionally laughed out loud at reading a description of toddler behavior that was all too familiar, such as this: "The person he wants [to help him] is whatever person is not available at the moment, and if everyone is available, his demand may change to 'Me do it myself.'" Don't expect miracle cures here, just common sense and reassurance that your struggle ...more
Mike
It was uncanny how accurate this book was. A great resource for understanding difficult behavior, but also for contextualizing the seemingly "random" behavior of 2-year-olds so that you can understand the milestones that are happening and encourage them in development.
Hannah Notess
Great helpful descriptions of the developmental stage and what kids this age like to do and are interested in. Some things are hilariously dated ("A boy may like to have his own phonograph...") but the descriptions of how 2 year olds act are very useful.

Plus the line "Dear Doctor, my child is a combination of all the naughty children who ever were..." gives us some good laugh mileage.
Stefanie
I thought this was a terrible book. If you have a two year old you know what they do, but this book provides a play by play of them just in case you don't actually have a kid. There's nothing insightful about their behavior and the section of questions is filled with outdated housewife problems and normalcy in spanking. Worse than the What to Expect series!
Ginger Clausen
This is the best series of books for parenting children aged 1-8! These books have helped me countless times in raising my four kids! The books show the stages of learning that chidren go through so you can understand why your child is behaving the way they are- what they are learning and how that affects their behavior. Kids are pretty predictable as they go through the basic stages such as self awareness and attachment to parents, learning, etc.
Katie Casey
I previously read Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old and now that Micah has turned 2 had to read this one too! These are great (though a little out-dated) books that help parents know what developmental milestones to expect and how to deal with typical problems that may come up.
Reianna Cambridge
I loved this book! It mostly explains why a two-year-old does what they do. I felt like this book was just like opening my two-year-old's brain and telling me what's inside. My absolute favorite part was at the very end. The book gives you a list of toys that are perfect for this age and a list of books that are really good to read to your two-year-old. I will definitly read the other ones they have as he gets older.
Anne
This book saved me from daily tears and my oldest from daily spankings. I have turned to it over and over again through the years, for each of my own children, and for countless nieces, nephews, neighbors, and friends. Even though it was written years ago, it's insight into what is normal and what can be expected from your 2 year old is timeless. This book started me on the series.
langa
A bit dated, but still enlightening. I appreciated getting a sense of the normal range of behaviours for the age and also techniques that can be helpful when working with a 2 year old. It was interesting to understand how a 2 year old views their world. Also, always helpful is the reminder about the approximate ages when a child will experience disequilibrium and equilibrium.
Great book that describes the two year old in terms of pshyical, emotional, moral development, typical behaviors, problems, language development, sex differneces - and more! It helped me to place Catherine in context and to relax about some of her more challenging moments and to savor the sweeter ones.
Jenn
The second book in a great series about childhood development. Informative, straightforward, and reassuring that your child is "normal". Recommends a relaxed approach to undesired behavior rather than encouraging attempts to force your child into something developmentally beyond their ability.
Leslie
I but the corresponding number to my childs age every year on their birthday and read it cover to cover. SOme of the info is dates but most of it is pretty relevant. My kdis love to hear me read aloud some sections to tell them what they can expect over the next year.
Katie
Interesting stuff about how kids this age see the world, and how they act in it. Very helpful for those of us who never spent a lot of time around kids. It's charmingly (or offensively, depending on your perspective) out of date in spots, but worth the read, and super short.
Jannie
It was good until the authors explained that the best way to potty train a child is to put newspaper on the ground and let your child run around nude until they go on the paper. That, and all hyper kids should be medicated. Are they writing about kids or dogs?
Kristen
This book is dated (from 1976), but it still has enough useful bits to render it useful. I would still like a "Wonder Weeks" for every year of a child's life, but this at least gave us something to read. This duo has books that apply to kids all the way up to age 14.
Kathryn
Some things are definitely outdated (the book was published in 1976) but it has good descriptions of normal behaviour for and characteristics of two-year-olds. I wouldn't take discipline advice from it but is good for finding out what is typical for two-year-olds.
Kathy
I really like this series. Good info on what is age-appropriate behavior and tips on how to deal with less desirable behaviors. The authors are a bit traditional though, addressing their good advice to mothers (dad seems to be a secondary figure in these books).
Jacki
A little outdated as it was written back in the 80s, but I still found a lot of really useful information. It was great to come to understand what to expect and what was normal as well as getting some tips on the best ways to approach problematic behavior.
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Playful Parenting
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • Positive Discipline
  • Toddlers and Preschoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood, 6 Months to Five Years
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful Your Seven-Year-Old: Life in a Minor Key Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious