Start by marking “Behind Jane Austen's Door” as Want to Read:
Behind Jane Austen's Door

Behind Jane Austen's Door

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Need to escape the modern world? Step back into Jane Austen's world with Behind Jane Austen's Door. Join the author, Jennifer Forest, as she takes you on an easy to read, non-academic tour of a Regency house.

Jane Austen did not place her stories in palaces or on the battlefields, but in that one building so important, then and now: the home. The house, and lack of a home a
Published January 16th 2012 by Kindle

To ask other readers questions about Behind Jane Austen's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Jane Austen's Door

Mary Ronan Drew
Houses were different from ours today, and were used differently in the late 18th and early 19th centuy. Life was very different then (and not just dentistry and transportation.) In Behind Jane Austen's Door Jennifer Forest introduces the reader to the typical layout of a Georgian house and tells us what various rooms were used for. The breakfast room, for example, was often used all day as a place for the ladies of the family to sit by the fire (which might be the only one in the house) and do ...more
IndieJane
If I could ask for just one Regency reference, I would want a solid explanation of home life. I can gain a reasonable understanding of Society by reading history books, but none of the volumes on the Prince Regent or Waterloo tell me anything about what a normal family did on a normal day. Since Jane’s books are all about “three or four families in a country village,” it seems understanding that life is essential to understanding and writing about Jane.

You can imagine then how excited I was when
aobibliophile™
"And at that moment, she felt that to be mistress of Pemberley might be something!" - Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)

author Jennifer Forest invites the reader to step back in time and explore the interior of an imaginary Regency home. as its occupants' guest and friend, one begins the social call at the Entrance Hall. this is followed by a visit to the Drawing Room, then the Dining Room and Breakfast Room. later, one is allowed to enter the Dressing Room and the Bedroom. a glimpse inside
Elizabeth
This was a wonderful wonderful book!

The author takes us in to the Regency era home and we go room by room and learn about many aspects of life in the Regency era. The focus in this book is on Regency era women but of course, there is mention of men and at the end of the book is a snapshot of the Regency era.

We learn all about social customs, how to be an accomplished young woman, clothing and fashion, interior design, friendship & acquaintances, household management, the purpose of each room
Arleigh
You can read scores of Regency novels and never quite know the proper etiquette for visiting, or the hierarchy of social classes and what is expected of each. You see the romantic and gentlemanly side of the characters, but never the societal rules governing who can speak to whom, and who you should (or shouldn’t) want to make a connection with.

Each room of the house has its purpose and uses; Each has a set of tasks, if any, that are acceptable within that sphere. With quotes from Jane Austen’s
Ella Belakovska
This was a fascinating little insight into a Regency era home and I loved the many nuggets of information it provided. The only thing that jarred was the author's liberal use of exclamation marks! After almost every sentence! I also struggled with the overly intimate language e.g. 'Now you have been invited to dinner, what will you wear?' I get what the author was trying to do but it just felt a bit too twee. However, it didn't take away from the fact that I learned a lot of interesting stuff an ...more
A.
A nice introduction to the Regency period and a quick read, but I was looking for something a little more in depth.
Michele
Interesting although this book was very short and light. I would love to see a meatier book on this subject.
Nidia
A quick and interesting read - Loved the behind the scenes look at the home life during the Regency period.
As seen on The Everyday Reader

In this short kindle-only title Jennifer Forest goes behind the door of a regency era household to explore not only the home itself, but why the home was so important to women of the period and what that meant for Jane Austen's heroines. As Forest rightly explains, the marriages of Elizabeth, Elinor, Anne or any of the others are not only romantic alliances but a chance for each woman to become mistress of their own household (the importance of which, to woman at th
Janine Zachariae
I like the way the author speaks to her readers. I like the idea totally like a trip to the past. How was the life in the time of Jane Austen?
Would you like to drink a cup of tea with the Bennet girls? Sit in the drawing room with the Dashwoods or have a dance with Mr Knightley?
Are you ready for this? Are you smart enough to talk with a man like Mr Darcy?

Anyway. It's full of quotes and Janes letters to Cassandra. And at the with some fact far away from the sweet and harmoney side of her life.
Kate
This is a quick, snappy little book. Forest gives a good overview of what happens in a Regency household: location, decoration, use, dress and decorum. Personally, I'd read a lot of this before in books that cover some of these topics more deeply. Forest has such a charming and engaging style, though, I really wish this book went into more detail. She mixes in appropriate quotes from the Austen canon (and not in an annoying way like other books that are trying to cover the factual side of Regenc ...more
Tanya Marie
A thorough, yet short, tour through a Regency house! Author, Jennifer Forest, gives well-described purposes of rooms in a manor or cottage home during Jane Austen's time. Passages from Jane Austen's novels and letters to her sister, Cassandra, are abundant throughout which are wonderful supportive parts to the background.

As a lover of all things Jane, I truly enjoyed the idea of this book! The detail given to each place in the house including who the room(s) were intended to occupy, what discuss
Marcie
Behind Jane Asuten's Door by Jennifer Forest is a great book for Jane Austen fans to read. It's a really quick read at about 54 pages. Jennifer Frost takes you into a regency style house and explains the importance of the rooms from the decorations to the social standings, a room would convey it all. The author goes from room to room giving you an imaginary tour of the rooms and their uses. I really enjoyed reading this book. It helped me understand more about this time period and the characters ...more
Damona
Short, basic, easy to read description of what upper-middle class women's homes and lives were like in the Regency period. If half stars were possible, I'd have given this 3 1/2.
Amy
This is a wonderful Regency primer that focuses on the social aspects within Jane Austen's time and novels. The author is "touring" us through a Regency house (and it reminds me of "The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England" by Ian Mortimer). I only wish this book was longer! It was very interesting and adds a little better understanding to Austen's time and manners in context of the texts. Everything I know about the Regency time period is from reading Jane Austen's works: This book both re ...more
Casey
Jun 04, 2014 Casey added it
This was a free Kindle book so I took advantage, loving all things Jane Austen. It's a really lovely little book that blends Austen and social history with a little architecture. If you like Austen, British Lit and old homes, this is probably a win for you.
Amanda
This was a quick, easy read. The information in the book was interesting, and very helpful to better understanding Austen (and other Regency authors work). For instance, did you know that "morning" visits were done between noon and 3? Or that there were four meals in the day--breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper? I didn't.

The author's tone was a little too chipper and cutesy for me but it was tolerable for a short book. Much of what she is saying is referenced back to quotes in Austen's books, w
Genean
This illustration of daily life for the average Regency period household is a thankful anchor for all lovers of this period.
The role of expectations and subsequent measure of manners among society of the day were steadfast in a hierarchy that was to become challenged by many external forces - War in the Colonies and France and with the new rich born out of the Industrial Revolution. Home was the sanctuary for all. The author has provided good references and some really useful links. We'll done.
Mary
When I purchased this book I was excited because I love Jane Austen and was interested in her life. I was disappointed that the majority of the book seemed to be about the books Jane had written rather than her life. I admire the passion that Ms. Frost must have that compelled her to write this story it might have been better to just continue to enjoy the stories and research into the regency period.
Ashley
This was a nice short read. As a fan of Austen, I liked the idea of being placed in her time period. This author takes you on a tour of houses Austen wrote about in her books as well as lived in during her life. The author lets you pretend you are a guest of Austen and you learn about the visiting process. To only be 54 pages, it was quite informative. It was nice living in the early 1800s even if only for a short time.
Mara
I enjoyed this "behind the scenes" book. While I already knew much of the information, I found it helpful as I just started to visit and tour Virginia old homes (Arlington House, Monticello, homes around Williamsburg/Yorktown) from the time period, which was not quite the same, but it definitely gave me more insight. I would re-read this if/when I go back to the UK so I have some more perspective.
Cary
A very short, quick but interesting piece that goes through the Regency home and describes items, etiquette, manners and ideas for those people. Nice if you read lots of Regency novels and want to know what everything it.
Tntexas
An easy-to-read, informative book about the houses in Regency England - the rooms that were usually included, the functions of the rooms, and who was allowed where. A good companion for Jane Austen's books.
James Allen
Behind Jane Austen's Door takes a reader through a Regency era house and gives interesting background information on the time. Well worth the read for any fan of Jane Austen or any author of that period.
Maria Claudia
A very, very good book about the regency period. I was so satisfaid to finally understand the rules and the meanings of this period! It added meaning to Jane Austen"s book that I love so much.
Samantha
Quick, easy, fun read about the daily life of a house during the Regency period. Didn't really learn anything new and wish it was a little more in depth but I still enjoyed it!
Quinn
Easy to read, simple, charming little work. It answered a number of questions I had about Regency behavior, class divides, wardrobe, home life, and relationships. :-)
Noninuna
It's a very informative for a person who wants to know more about a household in the regency era. A companion read for all Austen's books.
Kilian Metcalf
A good resource for understanding the world that JA lived in. Considerable biobliographical material for further research.
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Tea with Jane Austen
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • My Dear Charlotte
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Why Jane Austen?
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Bitch In a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen From the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps and the Saps, Volume 1
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Becoming Elizabeth Darcy
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
  • Mr. Darcy's Letter: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Charlotte
  • The List Lover's Guide to Jane Austen
Jennifer Forest is an author and freelance heritage consultant. She has also traded shares, started and closed a small business and written four other books. A few years ago, Jennifer had a life that involved suits and office towers. She worked as a project manager for government and in various roles in museums.

Work Women Want: Work at Home or go Part-Time is Jennifer's fifth book. She is on a que
More about Jennifer Forest...
Jane Austen's Sewing Box: Craft Projects & Stories from Jane Austen's Novels Crafty Girls Talk Work Women Want