Start by marking “Unexpected Daddy” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Daddy

Unexpected Daddy

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  42 reviews
After a car accident destroys his family, Joey is left the sole caretaker of his newborn niece, Abby. The overprotective UNEXPECTED DADDY needs childcare. When bigots set their sights on Joey, in walks the answer to his prayers, Geoff.

When twenty-six-year-old Joey Beirs is summoned to the emergency room one evening, the last thing he expects to find is that his twin broth
Published March 17th 2012 by Silver Publishing (first published March 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Daddy

Having My Baby by Theresa RaganNever Let You Go by Sabrina DevonshireSmooth Talking Stranger by Lisa KleypasSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
19th out of 98 books — 70 voters
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
261st out of 340 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I am pained here. I REALLY debated about the 1 star. I'd really rate this 1.5 stars - there were parts I liked though and I fervently wish GR had 1/2 stars!

This one had such promise but it just never went anywhere. It was confusing - for example there is a point where Joey tells Geoff why doesn't he do the nanny thing because Geoff is on unemployment and it is about to run out -- the problem? There is no conversation anywhere that indicates they talked about this and they JUST MET. When did this
Serena Yates
This is a great feel-good book that left me smiling and reassured that sometimes stories that start with an awful shock can end well. Joey and Geoff are both white knights – each in their own way – and what I really liked was that they got to rescue each other. True teamwork requires the partners to work together, to use their individual strengths to make sure the relationship works; these two took a while to figure out the details, but they did so in a loving and sometimes even humorous way.

Firstly, I have to give major kudos to whoever designed this cover. It's moody and sexy and sweet all at the same time (just look at their hands entwined in the lower right corner!) and I just friggin' adore it! This cover promised me a fabulous story.

However, it didn't take me long to realize that the story was not going to live up to this cover.

I mean, it was okay, but everything about it was kinda middle of the road. It wasn't particularly sweet, or funny, or angsty, or dramatic (though it
Too rushed. I never connected with any character. Hell, I don't even know what Joey did for a living. We barely saw Joey and Geoff together. Then it was "The End". Really?

Where was the grieving? Whatever happened with the (view spoiler) house? These are things I wanted to see. To know about.

Serena Yates

Wow I'm totally baffled about the low ratings for this book!
I think it was super adorable! I'm usually very wary about kids in stories, but here Abby was a nice addition and not overused at all. I really liked Geoff and Joey and I'm a huge fan of age difference, so I enjoyed the book a great deal! Very satisfying HEA and overall very pleasant and sweet read!
Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I picked up "Unexpected Daddy" on a lark. The blurb grabbed my attention. I love Manlove stories, especially if they seem like they'll be romantic and touch my heart. Brenna Lyons delivered that and more.

Joey gets heartbreaking news and, even as he's had the shock of his life, it gets even more shocking when he finds himself becoming, as the title suggests, an unexpected Daddy to his newborn niece, Abby. He loves her with all his heart, but he's going to have to put her in daycare
Ericka Walden
A short, HEA...... What where people expecting?? Felt good....made me smile.... Kindle closed..... Cooked dinner.... Lookin up more works from the author.
Leigh Ellwood
Following a tragic accident, Joey assumes guardianship of his infant niece. A fruitless search for daycare leads him to Geoff, an unemployed blue-collar man who appears gruff yet has a soft spot for children. The arrangement, first borne out of necessity on both parts (one needs a sitter, one needs a job) grows into a relationship one tries to fight but cannot.

Daddy is short, just under 15,000 and offers a peek into a sweet, budding relationship between a man unexpectedly in charge of a family a
Unexpected Daddy was a cute and enjoyable read. The relationship between Joey and Geoff is wonderful and unhurried. It’s not instant love or even instant lust. The author shows their growing relationship, from stranger, to friend, to helper, than to lover. You see their love and feelings as they develop and you see how they cope with their different hardships and become better people because of them. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good story. Yes, it does have sex ...more
ARe Cafe
Kat's pick for the week of 12.29.14.

Kat says: This is a sweet romance between two men given a second chance at happiness.
Shelley Chastagner
Heart warming story. I really liked Joey's determination to make a a wonderful life for his baby niece Abby. Geoff's longing for the family he no longer had was tangible. I loved his inner monologue. He's a man who's lived a life and his desire for something real with Joey is beautifully played out.
Adult read
Remembered I read this a long time ago when I saw Phanney's review so I read it again. In general I liked this though it was too short and didn't have enough depth into the characters lives. I also felt it left a lot of loose ends. A bit more length and a little fleshing out and it would be a good story.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
A manny, a newborn baby and a daddy who needs someone to come to his daycare rescue. 6 more days!! Let the countdown begin!!!
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rated: 3 hearts

Check out the review on
This story had potential, however there were just too many unbelievable things in this short story to work for me.

The story was sweet short novella. The romance between Joey and Geoff was easy and warm, but nothing special.
Very sweet love story. Thought there still could have been so much more to this story.
Short, sweet and sexy - May to December romance. A great afternoon read.
Sweet, short and Happy Ever After...
Shona Kimi
I really enjoyed this short story
A quick, enjoyable story.
3.5 stars.

Unexpected Daddy was an unexpected treat. After his brother and his sister-in-law are killed by a drunk driver, Joey is left as the guardian for his newborn niece, Abby. This new dad is more nervous than a virgin bride on her wedding night, and seeks the help of an experienced nanny. When none can be found before he has to go back to work, enter Geoff, who’s unemployed, and willing to take on Abby – and Joey – until he can find a “regular” job.

Now, I love m/m books that feature childr
Reviewed for

Okay, definitely had some niggles with this story. The biggest one was that while I liked the story once it got going, it is all based on the fact that Joey, who is completely and utterly overprotective and overthinks everything, trusts leaving his new niece Abby to a veritable stranger, someone he has just met. That was difficult to overcome, since for the rest of the story there are numerous examples of Joey being so overprotective (clamping the baby seat to
2.5 stars.
This was an OK read, it didn't reach the potential I felt it had as I was reading. It felt rushed, if some of the story had been more filled in it would've been a 3 or better for me. I would still try more from this author.
I enjoyed this story but I thought it was missing some important parts. Joey's only family dies yet he doesn't ask to see them, then he just employ's a man he's just met on the street no references, getting to know him or anything. Like I said I enjoyed the story and characters it just moved fast with little details.

This was a short story. I like how it started to include how the two main characters met. However after the two main characters met the rest of the story bored me.
Eran O'Donnal
Had the potential to be a great book but to many holes left open and everything just seemed rushed

This book is a cute quick read. Being a short story, everything happened pretty quickly but it was enjoyable
Dec 29, 2013 Phaney rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Weak little story.

The premise as such is nothing new (which I don’t mind), but the execution simply falls flat on all counts.
For one thing, there’s a surprising lack of, well, shock and grief in that first chapter when Joey is told the news. Altogether the story feels very short. What emotions are provided center around sex – in stark contradiction to the baby plot.

No happy fuzzy feelings for me. I guess I need more… more of everything.
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1)
  • A Taste of Love (Of Love, #1)
  • Adore (Sam & Cody #3)
  • A Gentleman's Gentleman
  • Pack Business (Pine Hollow Wolves, #2)
  • Demons and Lullabies (The Demons Age #2)
  • That One Thing (Alex and Jared - The College Years, #1)
  • Two Silent Cries
  • A Heart for Robbie
  • Count Your Blessings
  • King's Conquest (Mending the Rift #1)
  • Temptation of the Incubus
  • Darius (Moon Lake Wolves #1)
  • Naughty by Design (Sexually Awkward #2)
  • The Broken Road
  • The Lord's Tale
  • Her Pregnancy Surprise
Brenna Lyons wears many hats, sometimes all on the same day: former president of EPIC, author of more than 95 published works, Administrator for Silver Publishing, columnist, special needs teacher, wife, mother...and member in good standing of more than 60 writing advocacy groups. In her first eight years published in novel-length, she's won 3 EPIC e-Book Awards (out of 15 finalists) and finaled f ...more
More about Brenna Lyons...