Start by marking “Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat: Cookin' With Mother Nature” as Want to Read:
Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat: Cookin' With Mother Nature

Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat: Cookin' With Mother Nature

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"An introduction to natural foods written with an eye to good health and an ear for the witty line. Even for those not ready to replace sirloin with soy bean, Gregory's discourse on the typical mistreatment of the digestive tract should be informative- it certainly is amusing. There are sections on Gregory's various fasts, suggested diets for putting on and taking off weig ...more
Published January 1st 1974 by Harper and Row Publishers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat

Harley
I saw Dick Gregory live in Peoria, Illinois in the fall of 1973. I bought and read an earlier version of this book. The book changed my life. I went on the Dick Gregory diet and in 2 months lost 40 pounds which I kept off for 15 years.
Alex
Jun 18, 2011 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interesting in natural, healthy lifestyles, black people, open minded people
Recommended to Alex by: an artist
I really like this book. It's mainly about eating a raw foods diet. I would say that if you are not familiar with the lifestyle, this book could be life changing. The topic at hand may seem boring and some may find the idea of eating only a raw food diet impossible, but Dick Gregory is amazing and you will thoroughly enjoy the way he discusses the topic at hand. It's not a recipe book, though there are recipes included. I would think of it more of as a inspirational, self-help type of book. It's ...more
Stella Blue
A wealth of information on how the body works during the fasting/cleansing period and how to re-establish a nutritional connection with Mama Nature. Dick Gregory has a great sense of humor, and it is infused within the pages. This is one of the pioneer books on how to conduct a safe fast and then incorporate a raw-food diet into your lifestyle. This book is out-of-print and not easy to find. If you see a copy, don't hesitate to grab it.
Karen Barker
Apr 01, 2014 Karen Barker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to improve their over all well -being
I have finally decided to change my eating habits without "purchasing" another man made product. Thanks Dick for confirming what is "common sense" knowledge concerning the choices we make when it comes to feeding our temples. Great book!
Sophia
Feb 25, 2008 Sophia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Raw Food, Veganism, Health, and Laughing
This book is incredibly hilarious! I learned a lot and even though it's old, it still holds true on most every account. He is such a great story teller and educator and I laughed while my brain gained a few creases.
erin
I'm suggesting you read this if you love food and want to laugh like a mad hatter. Quote "I've lost so much weight that nonviolence is no longer a tactic, it's a necessity!" This man is C-C-C-Crazy.
Andrew
I read this book some years ago and it changed my eating habits. Definitely recommended for those who are interested in alternative diets (and presented in a very humorous way)!
Victoria Joyce
Good food book from back in the day. Before it was cool.
Renedarwin
Dick Gregory is a great man. He is also a kook.
NanaOkani Asiedu-Odei
NanaOkani Asiedu-Odei marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Overwest29
Overwest29 marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Sykhu Striggles
Sykhu Striggles marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Elijah Joy
Elijah Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Marie Lott
Marie Lott marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Tungu
Tungu is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Mweera Edmund
Mweera Edmund marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Dalylah Love
Dalylah Love marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Zaneta
Zaneta marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Loretta Wickman
Loretta Wickman marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Trin Lewis
Trin Lewis marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Prophessorelect
Prophessorelect marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Darline
Darline marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Gavgav
Gavgav marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Sam Harris
Sam Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Angelina Bennett
Angelina Bennett marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Shatya Johnson
Shatya Johnson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • Shantung Compound
  • The Portable Karl Marx
  • The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
  • The Writings of John Lennon
  • From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life
  • Euthyphro/Apology/Crito
Gregory, Richard Claxton "Dick" , African American comedian and civil rights activist whose social satire changed the way white Americans perceived African American comedians since he first performed in public.

Dick Gregory entered the national comedy scene in 1961 when Chicago’s Playboy Club (as a direct request from publisher Hugh Hefner) booked him as a replacement for white comedian, "Professor
More about Dick Gregory...
Nigger Callus on My Soul From the Back of the Bus The Shadow That Scares Me No More Lies