Start by marking “Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography” as Want to Read:
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this book, Tony Northrup (award-winning author of more than 30 how-to books and a professional portrait, wildlife, and landscape photographer) teaches you both the art and science of creating stunning pictures. First, you will master these basic concepts:

* Composition
* Flash
* Posing
* Troubleshooting
Published December 11th 2011 by Mason Press

To ask other readers questions about Tony Northrup's DSLR Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tony Northrup's DSLR Book

Chelsea
Hello fellow Goodreads pals! I'm so happy to see that so many of you enjoyed our book. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the book or want some feedback on your photography come chat with Tony Northrup and me on facebook. facebook.com/northrupPhotography
Happy snapping!
Chelsea Knowles
Eduardo Romero
Jun 20, 2014 Eduardo Romero rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: amateur photographers
This is one of the best books on Photography I've seen. It's full of practical advice , exercises , good theory and examples . It's one of the go-to books for amateur photographers, and afterwards you can interact with the online community. Tony and Chelsea also have reviews and news in a kind of podcast on YouTube.

It comes with videos and a thriving community on Facebook. You don't really have to follow it from cover to cover, you can jump in to the chapters you need more help with. They
John
If you could absorb everything in this book in one read, you would suddenly be a master photographer, perhaps one who never took pictures because he didn't know where to start.

Most of the info in here I have already learned over 30 years of amateur photography. Some are common sense. Some are specific to Nikon and Canon DSLRs (I learned a few things about the settings on my D50). Some are debatable, such as use of a UV filter vs. a hood to protect your lens. I still haven't figured out the expos
Yonathan Zarkovian
I bought the ebook version and read it on the iPad. The iPad version contains all the videos inside so they play instantly. The videos are a great help and compliment the text very well.

The book is written in a simple style which is easy to understand. The info in the book applies to DSLRs of all manufacturers.

I've read a few books for beginner photographers and this one is at the top. Even today, September 2013, the book is still updated. There is now an official forum for the book: sdpcommuni
Sylvia

This is a great book, for a reasonable price. I was lucky enough to get it while it was on the free list, but will recommend it to my friends as well. This is a very clear and comprehensive book on photography. My father was a professional photographer and gave me my first lessons on an old box camera before he'd let me near his more expensive ones. Over the years I had forgotten many of the lessons he taught me, but this book brought them back. Now that we live in a digital age, being a good p
Simon Gianoutsos
This is a superb book that has been great to refresh my photography knowledge. I last read a photography book about 10 years ago and technology has moved on a lot since then. This book is up-to-date and very pragmatic. Thoroughly recommended.
Chris
I was disappointed in this book. It has good information, but it also has a lot of sell: go to their site, join their facebook group, pick up their other book - did I even see a link to buy their t-shirt or am I imagining that? I thought the videos would be a way of driving home points they make in the book, but they have supplemental information that isn't in the book. I picked up a book to read a book, not to hop on the computer every other page. And to have to go online in order to get a simp ...more
Charlie
Truly a great instructional book! Best I''ve seen in reading other instructional books of other types. Will now go buy the hard copy book as a reference.o

Very easy to read & understand.
Simple to follow with great examples & videos throughout.
Lessons were well planned & laid out.
A lot of everyday examples & how-to tackle them best.
Explanations were in depth & easy to follow.
Teachers understood the challenges faced by all level users.
Under water section interesting, but not rea
Matty McG
This book exceeded my expectations in every way. Well written and full of helpful instruction. I found the use of embedded QR codes that link to video instruction not only innovative, but extremely useful. More guidebooks need to use this technique. I am new to DSLR photography and I've spent these past several months learning my camera and teaching myself techniques. Without a doubt, this book helped me more than any other in that effort. Tony and Chelsea are great teachers! My highest recommen ...more
Cary Dan
Easy to watch. Great read.

Easy to watch. Great read.

great read and video. explanations were thorough and in simple . highly recommended. beginners and intermediate photographers will enjoyment and over.
Sean Halpin
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to learn more about photography. Where this book really excels is the varied teaching methods--not just reading but also through videos and the option for direct feedback from Tony and Chelsea. Additionally the Kindle version of the book comes with free updates for life!!! I expect to continually refer back to this great resource.
Fred Rose
Definitely get the e book version of this, with the embedded videos. Used this book before a recent trip and definitely helped me with techniques and such.
The Mole
Practical, Insightful, and Honest

I really like and appreciate this book and its author. While maintaining a simple and friendly tone, the author explains every possible issue while giving a plethora of practical advice.

I can tell this will be a definite "to go to" book when I want to challenge a new subject area or technique.

Thank you, Tony!
Vaughn Bender
This book teaches you how to create stunning pictures. You learn the basics, how shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash impact your photos. The book takes you through how to compose pictures, identify and use both natural and artificial light and how to add flash to your photo.The book covers chapters to portraits, weddings, animals and nature, landscapes and cityscapes, night and HDR and macro closeup.

A great book if you have a real interest in some form of photography.
Victoria Vivian
This is a great book for beginners. It starts at the basics and works it way up. The author is continuously updating the materials in the book and you receive emails to let you know about them.
There are videos imbedded in the ebook where Tony demonstrates products and techniques. Additionally he has a Facebook group that is kind of like a photographers club for trading techniques, information, and photos. I imagine this is what textbooks will be like very soon.
Eddie
The best way to change your photography perspective, this book contains everything you need to change your way of doing photography in a practical and fun way.
b e l l a
This is soooooo good! At first I thought that it might not be the kind of advice I was looking for but it was perfect!!!! It had some great tips and is perfect for anyone looking to find out more about photography. Wether your a beginner, novice, or maybe even advanced, I think this books has something to teach you.
Arturo  Castaños
This is more than a book a companion for the amateur photographer, it is a book to keep on handy and keep in consulting as I plan to do so.

Este, más que un libro es un manual de consulta, debe de tener se a la mano para usarlo como guía para el fotógrafo aficionado.
Kristian
Lot's of good information. I felt the author talked about himself more than I would have prefered, but I give an extra star for updating his Kindle book. Twice I have received notification from Amazon that it was ready to update. Thank you for that.
Sean
One of the best books on photography that I have read and implemented. Using suggestions in this book helped me produce a photo that won a first place ribbon at the local fair (thanks).
Nicole Stillwell
A must have for a DSL read!
Austin Storm
Decent beginner's guide / reference.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Caio Everton
Caio Everton marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Monica L Yokes
Monica L Yokes is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Sheryl Checkman
Sheryl Checkman is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • 50 Keys To Better Photography!
  • Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Images Wherever You Are
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • 8 Types Of Natural Light That Will Add Drama To Your Photographs
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image
  • Men-ipulation (The Men Wars, #1)
  • Power of Vitamin D
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • The Third Floor
  • Why Trust Jesus?: An Honest Look at Doubts, Plans, Hurts, Desires, Gripes, Questions, and Pleasures
  • The Book of Rules: The Right Way to Do Everything
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft® .NET Framework 2.0�Application Development Foundation: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0--Application Development Foundation MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-515): Web Applications Development with Microsoft® .NET Framework 4 Tony Northrup's Photography Buying Guide: How to Choose a Camera, Lens, Tripod, Flash, & More (Tony Northrup's Photography Books) Tony Northrup's Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Video Book: Training for Photographers MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-685): Windows® 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician