Start by marking “Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography” as Want to Read:
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In this book, Tony Northrup (award-winning author of more than 30 how-to books and a professional portrait, wildlife, and landscape photographer) teaches you both the art and science of creating stunning pictures. First, you will master these basic concepts:

* Composition
* Flash
* Posing
* Troubleshooting
Published December 11th 2011 by Mason Press

To ask other readers questions about Tony Northrup's DSLR Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tony Northrup's DSLR Book

Chelsea
Oct 11, 2012 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Hello fellow Goodreads pals! I'm so happy to see that so many of you enjoyed our book. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the book or want some feedback on your photography come chat with Tony Northrup and me on facebook. facebook.com/northrupPhotography
Happy snapping!
Chelsea Knowles
Eduardo Romero
Jun 20, 2014 Eduardo Romero rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: amateur photographers
This is one of the best books on Photography I've seen. It's full of practical advice , exercises , good theory and examples . It's one of the go-to books for amateur photographers, and afterwards you can interact with the online community. Tony and Chelsea also have reviews and news in a kind of podcast on YouTube.

It comes with videos and a thriving community on Facebook. You don't really have to follow it from cover to cover, you can jump in to the chapters you need more help with. They
Yonathan Zarkovian
Sep 15, 2013 Yonathan Zarkovian rated it it was amazing
I bought the ebook version and read it on the iPad. The iPad version contains all the videos inside so they play instantly. The videos are a great help and compliment the text very well.

The book is written in a simple style which is easy to understand. The info in the book applies to DSLRs of all manufacturers.

I've read a few books for beginner photographers and this one is at the top. Even today, September 2013, the book is still updated. There is now an official forum for the book: sdpcommuni
Simon Gianoutsos
Apr 09, 2012 Simon Gianoutsos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This is a superb book that has been great to refresh my photography knowledge. I last read a photography book about 10 years ago and technology has moved on a lot since then. This book is up-to-date and very pragmatic. Thoroughly recommended.
John
Apr 11, 2012 John rated it liked it
If you could absorb everything in this book in one read, you would suddenly be a master photographer, perhaps one who never took pictures because he didn't know where to start.

Most of the info in here I have already learned over 30 years of amateur photography. Some are common sense. Some are specific to Nikon and Canon DSLRs (I learned a few things about the settings on my D50). Some are debatable, such as use of a UV filter vs. a hood to protect your lens. I still haven't figured out the expos
Sylvia
May 08, 2012 Sylvia rated it really liked it

This is a great book, for a reasonable price. I was lucky enough to get it while it was on the free list, but will recommend it to my friends as well. This is a very clear and comprehensive book on photography. My father was a professional photographer and gave me my first lessons on an old box camera before he'd let me near his more expensive ones. Over the years I had forgotten many of the lessons he taught me, but this book brought them back. Now that we live in a digital age, being a good p
Chris
Apr 12, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-design
I was disappointed in this book. It has good information, but it also has a lot of sell: go to their site, join their facebook group, pick up their other book - did I even see a link to buy their t-shirt or am I imagining that? I thought the videos would be a way of driving home points they make in the book, but they have supplemental information that isn't in the book. I picked up a book to read a book, not to hop on the computer every other page. And to have to go online in order to get a simp ...more
Austin Storm
Mar 11, 2012 Austin Storm rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-2012
Decent beginner's guide / reference.
Nenad
Mar 22, 2017 Nenad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very useful, especially for beginners, with loads of additional online material.
Andreea Lucau
Mar 17, 2017 Andreea Lucau rated it it was amazing
I learn so much from this book! The videos and examples are great. I felt inspired to practice myself and this helped me a lot.
Beth Winterholler
May 10, 2016 Beth Winterholler rated it it was amazing
Stunning Digital Photography by Tony Northup is a great book to enhance your photography skills. When I decided that I wanted to learn photography, I knew the easiest way would be to find a book and take notes. So I searched the itunes store when I found this book. Understanding the book was easy and very clear. Each chapter has a different topic and covers everything! Not only does it include the mechanics of a camera, but he also includes how to interact with the people who you are taking pict ...more
Donner Wetter
Nov 11, 2016 Donner Wetter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Disclaimer: this is the first book on photography I've read so I cannot compare it to others.

I got into photography 2 months ago and went on a binge, reading all the blogs and sites and watched all the videos I could find. Then I read this book and didn't learn anything new but I did get a reference book that saves me from having to go through all those bookmarks.

If I had to start over I'd first read this book and keep it handy as a reference. It covers a very wide range of topics. If I had read
Jim
Jul 30, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I'm impressed with this book. It's effectively a "how too" book that tries to teach you about photography. It starts with the basic (how to compose and image) and build up to "what works" in certain situations (weddings and photographing buildings for example). With many of the things he tries to explain, he has a video tutorial, which can be found on-line that helps support the concepts he's discussing.

The thing I'm most with though, is the fact that he gets the tone about right. It doesn't as
Roberto Macias
Nov 19, 2015 Roberto Macias rated it it was amazing
The book is fantastic if you're starting into the world of photography. The videos and tutorials are also a great help. I really recommend this book specially since one of the main reasons people don't immediately start post-processing, shooting raw, or with DSLRs is because they might seem intimidating. The work-through in the book and videos make it so much simpler.

It also helped me get the right lenses for what I shoot, and a few compositional tips which have helped improve my pictures.

In th
Matty McG
Mar 14, 2015 Matty McG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book exceeded my expectations in every way. Well written and full of helpful instruction. I found the use of embedded QR codes that link to video instruction not only innovative, but extremely useful. More guidebooks need to use this technique. I am new to DSLR photography and I've spent these past several months learning my camera and teaching myself techniques. Without a doubt, this book helped me more than any other in that effort. Tony and Chelsea are great teachers! My highest recommen ...more
Charlie
Nov 24, 2014 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Truly a great instructional book! Best I''ve seen in reading other instructional books of other types. Will now go buy the hard copy book as a reference.o

Very easy to read & understand.
Simple to follow with great examples & videos throughout.
Lessons were well planned & laid out.
A lot of everyday examples & how-to tackle them best.
Explanations were in depth & easy to follow.
Teachers understood the challenges faced by all level users.
Under water section interesting, but not rea
Vaughn Bender
Feb 11, 2015 Vaughn Bender rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book teaches you how to create stunning pictures. You learn the basics, how shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash impact your photos. The book takes you through how to compose pictures, identify and use both natural and artificial light and how to add flash to your photo.The book covers chapters to portraits, weddings, animals and nature, landscapes and cityscapes, night and HDR and macro closeup.

A great book if you have a real interest in some form of photography.
Sergio
Jan 07, 2016 Sergio rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginner photographers
There is no better book to start with. As a newbie to photography, I didn't know what to do or where to start. This book changed everything for me. It goes over all of the basics, from how to use your camera to composition to very simple photo editing. It also includes links to some great videos of the author demonstrating what he's published in his book AND access to a great community where you can ask questions and get feedback.

I can't recommend this book enough!
Victoria Vivian
Jul 26, 2013 Victoria Vivian rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for beginners. It starts at the basics and works it way up. The author is continuously updating the materials in the book and you receive emails to let you know about them.
There are videos imbedded in the ebook where Tony demonstrates products and techniques. Additionally he has a Facebook group that is kind of like a photographers club for trading techniques, information, and photos. I imagine this is what textbooks will be like very soon.
Tonya
Mar 03, 2015 Tonya rated it really liked it
I don't know if I will ever really finish this book. Being a self taught, amateur, hobbyist, photographer, this is a book I still go back and refer too from time to time and there are also free videos that you are given access to once you purchase the book. I have yet to finish all of the videos.
bella
Feb 14, 2014 bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is soooooo good! At first I thought that it might not be the kind of advice I was looking for but it was perfect!!!! It had some great tips and is perfect for anyone looking to find out more about photography. Wether your a beginner, novice, or maybe even advanced, I think this books has something to teach you.
Jeff
Aug 02, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Excellent book for anyone interested in becoming a better photographer. The associated videos and quizzes reinforce what you're learning.

I enjoy travel and I'll keep this book with me on my trips as it answers many questions and fixes many problems faced in the field. You really can't go wrong with this... Highly recommended.
Sean Halpin
Jun 08, 2014 Sean Halpin rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to learn more about photography. Where this book really excels is the varied teaching methods--not just reading but also through videos and the option for direct feedback from Tony and Chelsea. Additionally the Kindle version of the book comes with free updates for life!!! I expect to continually refer back to this great resource.
The Mole
Feb 26, 2015 The Mole rated it it was amazing
Practical, Insightful, and Honest

I really like and appreciate this book and its author. While maintaining a simple and friendly tone, the author explains every possible issue while giving a plethora of practical advice.

I can tell this will be a definite "to go to" book when I want to challenge a new subject area or technique.

Thank you, Tony!
Angie Swearingen
Aug 04, 2015 Angie Swearingen rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful introduction to photography! There were definitely more sophisticated sections that I will have to go back to later when I have a better grasp of the key concepts this book introduced. But this book gives me a really good feel for aperture and shutter speed, and helps me feel comfortable trying different things on my own camera.
Cary Dan
May 10, 2014 Cary Dan rated it it was amazing
Easy to watch. Great read.

Easy to watch. Great read.

great read and video. explanations were thorough and in simple . highly recommended. beginners and intermediate photographers will enjoyment and over.
Kristian
Feb 26, 2013 Kristian rated it it was amazing
Lot's of good information. I felt the author talked about himself more than I would have prefered, but I give an extra star for updating his Kindle book. Twice I have received notification from Amazon that it was ready to update. Thank you for that.
Rob
Dec 12, 2016 Rob rated it liked it
After reading a lot about manual mode and getting exposures via using the camera settings for ISO, aperature and shutter speed, this books seemed much more for beginners. Just wasn't really feeling it.
Arturo  Castaños
Feb 05, 2014 Arturo Castaños rated it really liked it
This is more than a book a companion for the amateur photographer, it is a book to keep on handy and keep in consulting as I plan to do so.

Este, más que un libro es un manual de consulta, debe de tener se a la mano para usarlo como guía para el fotógrafo aficionado.
Jessica Nguyen
Mar 31, 2015 Jessica Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Some easy takeaways but when it got technical, I mostly skipped. Might re-read when my skill is more developed.
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image
  • Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Images Wherever You Are
  • 50 Keys To Better Photography!
  • The Tylenol Mafia: Marketing, Murder, and Johnson & Johnson
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • 8 Types Of Natural Light That Will Add Drama To Your Photographs
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • A Little Book of Mormon (and Not So Mormon) Stories
  • The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg: Accutane - The Truth That Had to Be Told
  • National Geographic Complete Photography
  • Food Drying: Food Dehydration and Safe Storage
  • Inside the Giant Machine: An Amazon.com Story - Optimized for Kindle on Android Devices
Award-winning author and photographer Tony Northrup has published more than 30 how-to books and sold more than a million copies around the world. His photos have been featured on magazine covers, book covers, CD covers, TV shows, calendars, and much more. Tony studied photography at the New England School of Photography and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. He runs a stock and portrait ...more
More about Tony Northrup...

“The most important lesson in photography is learning to photograph what you love.” 0 likes
“When you include angled lines, choose a perspective that allows the angles to be at least 20 degrees off-level. Anything less doesn’t look deliberate and isn’t as appealing. To control the angle of lines, change your perspective. For example, in a landscape with a straight fence through it, you could hold your camera perpendicular to the fence so that it was perfectly straight across your picture. Or, you could move close to the fence and turn left or right so that the fence drew an attractive 20 to 30 degree angled line through the landscape. However, you wouldn’t want to be somewhere in-between; a 5 degree angle would look careless and unattractive.” 0 likes