Start by marking “Holmes Inspection: The Essential Guide for Every Homeowner, Buyer and Seller” as Want to Read:
Holmes Inspection: The Essential Guide for Every Homeowner, Buyer and Seller

Holmes Inspection: The Essential Guide for Every Homeowner, Buyer and Seller

In his new book, Mike Holmes is on a mission. The star of the incredibly popular Holmes Inspection program, Mike shows you how to spot problems that could be expensive or even catastrophic, giving you the information you need to judge a house wisely. From the mechanicals (furnace, electrical and plumbing) to the "envelope" (floors, walls, doors and windows) to issues of lo ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Liberty Street (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Holmes Inspection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holmes Inspection

Ailene Hert
Jan 31, 2013 Ailene Hert rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Home Inspectors, Home Owners, Home Buyers, Home Sellers
Shelves: the-house
Content Advisory: This book contains a couple instances of profanity.

Mike Holmes says that the "lipstick and mascara" of a house doesn't mean you have a good house! You can have granite countertops, brand new appliances, new carpet, and new paint, but it's what is under the surface that counts. Under the surface is the inner workings of your house--the foundation, the ventilation, the electrical, and plumbing. If what's under the surface is crap, than the house is crap, no matter how good it loo
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Content - Educational not just for people looking for a new home but for homeowners as well. I now understand why my first set of window replacements need replacing again and why the second set are holding up so well. I now understand why it took 4 different HVAC companies to 'fix' our HVAC system before it really worked! I understand so many things about home maintenance and repair that I didn't understand before. I've got a much better grasp of the responsibilities of home ownership and of wha ...more
Winifred
Mar 24, 2014 Winifred rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any current or future homeowner
This was SO helpful to read before/during our home inspection. It gave me plenty of great questions to ask both our realtor and our inspector, and I almost wish I had read the book earlier in my home-buying process. The inspector pooh-poohed some stuff that really could become an issue down the line, so I'm glad I had another source of information. We also plan to tackle a lot of projects on our own, and this will be a great reference. It gives guidance on things like when to pull a permit, when ...more
Becks
Jul 13, 2013 Becks rated it really liked it
So obviously I picked this up at the library because of the pun.

Nice conversational tone and taught me a lot of things to look for. I liked the book's organization: first, it walks you through what to look for in each room and the house's exterior and then it has four case studies showing what problems you might encounter in a house that's been flipped, new construction, a fixer-upper, or a 100 year old house.

Would recommend this not only to someone looking to buy but to someone looking to ren
L
Jun 26, 2013 L rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The glossy, full color photos were incredibly helpful. The book covers interior and exterior of the home, focusing on the important but not so glamorous topics such as foundation, eavesdrop, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing. I found Holmes attitude towards home renovation to be refreshing, "Do it right the first time". The complex issues are explained fairly well to a complete beginner such as myself. The book is by no means a complete guide to owning a home but it is a good introduction to future ...more
Collette
Sep 03, 2014 Collette rated it it was ok
Shelves: home-inspections
As a professional associated with historic homes, I'm unimpressed. Holmes does his best to denigrate the intelligence of his readers and use client/reader comments to amplify the potential problems associated with buying any kind of property. Really interesting photographs are included, but with little to no captioning or detailing as to how the problem portrayed should look if correct and done well.
Kimber
Apr 08, 2011 Kimber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Holmes certainly knows his shit, and I love watching his numerous television series'. This book gave great advice on what to look for/at when buying or selling a home. I wish I had known about it BEFORE buying my first home last summer, but I was still able to walk around the house and yard to look for warnings signs.
Greg
Aug 16, 2012 Greg rated it it was amazing
Mike Holmes methodically evaluates what every current and future homeowner needs to know about evaluating a house (owner, seller and buyer). It includes detailed information on what to look for and what to look out for. There are great checklists and tools to use. Every family who has a house or is looking to buy one should own this book.
Deodand
This is an excellent book for the first-time home buyer, especially one without handy parents, or for people who are not handy themselves. Some of the items addressed in the book seemed a bit obvious to me, but I have home-buying and renovating experience to draw upon.

This book will help me finish the small projects I need to do to prepare my house for sale.
Brianna
Oct 04, 2012 Brianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012, bcpl
I now know a lot more about home inspections than I did before I finished this book - I'm also more wary of pretty much every inspector out there who isn't Mike Holmes. Still, this is a useful guidebook on what to look for in four different representative types of houses on the market. Definitely worth a read if you're buying or selling a house for the first time.
Allison
Dec 21, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Despite the title, this book is aimed much more at buyers than sellers. Once I realized that I kind of skimmed it. It does appear to provide a really good primer on anything that might be wrong with a house you're thinking of buying.
Mkb
He does his best to make having your future home inspected sound like a manageable thing--but it sure is scary to get an idea of all the things that can go wrong. But since I grew up in a fixer-upper, I guess it wasn't really news.
Annmarie
May 29, 2009 Annmarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever the nerd.... this is a book on how to do home inspections. I'm learning how not to get screwed when I buy a house someday.

Honestly, after reading this, living in a van down by the river doesn't sound so bad.
Adina
Feb 02, 2010 Adina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for buyers, especially first-time buyers. I learned a lot by reading this book. You've gotta love Mike Holmes. The guy knows what he's talking about.
Ian
Sep 29, 2013 Ian rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I didn't read it so much as skim through it before getting an inspection on our new home. Lots of good pointers and photos, but I can't honestly say I read it in depth enough to review it.
Ryan
May 08, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
Good book about home inspection and in general how to look at a home and judge the quality of the building.

Also had good advise for finishing a basement.
Stephanie Drilling
Stephanie Drilling rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Christopher Land
Christopher Land rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Sean Smith
Sean Smith rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2013
Allyn
Allyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Traci
Traci rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Ginger D
Ginger D rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Justin Gerhardstein
Justin Gerhardstein rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015