Start by marking “Shadowbosses: Government Unions Control America and Rob Taxpayers Blind” as Want to Read:
Shadowbosses: Government Unions Control America and Rob Taxpayers Blind

Shadowbosses: Government Unions Control America and Rob Taxpayers Blind

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The labor union movement is now firmly entrenched in American government--federal, state, and local--and is hell-bent on expanding its sway over the nation's political and economic life. This densely researched, compellingly argued book exposes how public-sector unions and their leaders--the "shadowbosses" of the title--are destroying the rule of law, stealing elections, d ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowbosses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowbosses

Naomi
Oct 09, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing
I can tell the reader of this review that the FAR left and union leadership are going to HATE this book so watch for reviews, such as one that is already on Goodreads, that PAN this book or simply hide under a rock and give it one star. The author is bringing information on a topic that is critical for the American public to understand, as it effects every nook and cranny of Americans lives. Told in concise, well documented and researched points, as well as easy to grasp concepts, this book will ...more
Audrey Hammer
Apr 01, 2016 Audrey Hammer rated it really liked it
If you need higher blood pressure, here you go!

The writing style is very conversational and easy to read quickly. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, you can read the intro and conclusion and the handy summary at the end of each chapter. It's very skimmable that way.

This book exposes the cronyism of government employee unions. These are not the unions that fought for safe working conditions and things like that -- these are giant unions that use members' dues to elect, er, buy polit
David Griffiths
May 18, 2013 David Griffiths rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
This is the scarriest book I have ever read. It should be required reading for all Americans that do not believe in the "Right-to-Work." It reads like a crime story. Millions of Americans are forced to pay union dues that are then used by unions to support the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party then Provides all-out support for unions. It gives the democrats a huge advantage.

An example: One of the Presidents stated agenda items is to provide federal money to increase the number of teachers t
Malin Friess
Feb 05, 2013 Malin Friess rated it liked it
I practice as a dentist for the VA in New Mexico. I am a federal worker but I did not join the Union (despite them giving out pizza and a fresh fifty dollar bill to anyone who would join during our first week of orientation). The facts about Unions cited by Mallory Factor are interesting:

1/3 of federal workers are unionized
2/3 teachers are unionized
Federal workers earn 30-40 percent more in salary and benefits (not true in dentistry) than private workers
Federal workers earn up to 10 weeks paid v
Manny
Sep 12, 2012 Manny rated it really liked it
This book is a very well written book. Although it is a bit partisan, you can read it and make your own conclusions as to the the benefits or hindrance of public sector unions. This book is controversial in the sense that it covers a subject that is considered a third rail by many folks in this country. I know I will get flack for my comments but will try to be as non-partisan as is possible.

Mr. Factor takes on the idea of public sector unions and the harm they have done and are in-line to do. I
Joseph Serwach
Jan 06, 2013 Joseph Serwach rated it it was amazing
Bring up labor unions and we tend to think of the kind of union I voted to join in 1990: a voluntary guild of workers at a private company. We had an open shop so both management and guild members made cases to me and I joined on the first day I was eligible to do do, ultimately becoming a committeeman for our local.

Such unions work in a free market, Mallory Factor notes, because of the free market: both the workers and the employers recognize they need to compete in a global market, providing c
Waven
Oct 05, 2012 Waven rated it liked it
I have to admit, I was disappointed when I first saw a Fox News personality’s blurb across the top of the book’s cover. But though it is quite partisan, this book still offers a substantial (and sometimes provocative) look at labor unions, past and present. (I found it especially interesting in light of the Chicago teacher's strike in September.) Questionable references are present but not frequent enough to undermine the basic points covered in the writing. There is also a lot of repetition – a ...more
Jim
May 21, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
This is a scary book and very enlightening. It reads like an organized crime novel but it is terrifyingly true, and it's happening now. "Government employee unions and politicians have been working on growing our government for decades. The growth of our government may be in the unions' interest, but it endangers us as a nation."
This is a chilling and well documented expose on how these government employee unions threaten workers' freedoms, free and fair elections, our children's educations, and
Paul Whitten
Sep 05, 2012 Paul Whitten rated it it was amazing
Shadowbosses is a wonderfully written book that reads like a crime novel. The crazy thing is that it is all true! It tells how government unions have manipulated our government and used dues from its members to control elections as well as politicians themselves. Mallory Factor did a great job with this book and it deserved to be on the New York Times Bestseller!
Elizabeth
Jan 26, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is the only book I have seen critical of government unions. The information is frightening and, in my experience with unions in a non-forced union state, very true. It is not the most interesting read and probably a little confusing for those who have no experience in this area, but it is very, very informative, and all taxpayers should know about this.
Gary Jannarone
Apr 04, 2014 Gary Jannarone rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I regret taking my head out of the sand. This is not a happy book. The corruption of the union leadership is astounding and frightening. The billions of dollars siphoned from the arteries of the taxpayers and transfused to corrupt politicians is incredible. Makes "Big Oil" and Wall Street seem like amateurs.
Cinnamon
Feb 27, 2015 Cinnamon rated it it was ok
It was a decent book for a required reading source.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
George Hood
George Hood marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Caleb
Caleb rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Tabitha Reimer
Tabitha Reimer marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
John
John added it
Mar 11, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Erickscott
Erickscott rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Geoffrey Hazelton
Geoffrey Hazelton marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Pete
Pete added it
Jan 17, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Josh Turner
Josh Turner rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Leo Knepper
Leo Knepper rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Ali Ghuneim
Ali Ghuneim marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Green Hell: How Environmentalists Plan to Control Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • The Tea Party Goes to Washington
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • Intellectuals and Race
  • Breakthrough: Our Guerilla War to Expose Fraud and Save Democracy
  • No, They Can't: Why Government Fails-But Individuals Succeed
  • Vaclav Havel: Or Living in Truth
  • Che: A Memoir
  • Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White
  • Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost Its Mind and the Other Lost Its Nerve
  • Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate
  • A Capitalism for the People: Recapturing the Lost Genius of American Prosperity
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power