Start by marking “Selling Water by the River: A Book about the Life Jesus Promised and the Religion That Gets in the Way” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Work, sex, ice cream, religion-they all promise fulfillment. But what they deliver is fleeting.

Jesus knew about this quest. He came to show us that peace is possible in this life, not just the next one. Yet Christianity, the very religion that claims Jesus as its own, has often built the biggest barriers to him and the life he promised.

Celebrated speaker and pastor Shane...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Jericho Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Selling Water by the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selling Water by the River

Taylor Storey
If someone wants a book that describes a Christianity that is accessible and has integrity when it comes to scholarly criticism and the recent American trend of church disenchantment, I'll recommend this book.

I thought it would be about church (god is the river, "christian institutions" are the people who bottle the water) but it's not. That is a metaphor the author uses, but instead of focusing on those bottling the water, he instead chooses to talk about the river and how it is accessible to...more
Gene
Buy this book when it comes into circulation in October 2012. I read an advance copy courtesy of Jericho Books. Trust me, it will breathe life into your belief and reduce the neurotic tendencies so prevalent in Christian faith as practiced in much today's churches in North America!
Kyle
The NEW Blue Like Jazz.

I read Blue Like Jazz and it changed my life. It helped me organize my frustrations with the Church in ways I hadn't done before. Since then I have read more books and been frustrated with different things about the Church, but true to my narrative, BLJ helped me wrestle with the Idolatry of Christianity that I had once experienced.

I call it the NEW BLJ for a reason.

It's better. The writing style is similar, but instead of just writing about how the church has hurt him, H...more
Melinda
I read this book because Peter Rollins recommended it. Here's the excerpt that caught my attention and made me want to read it:

"The desire begins with the first breath.
The moment life first dances in the body, a longing is born in the human heart.
A desire so simple and powerful that it drives a singular quest. This longing is baked into our being whether we want it or not. The longing is as innate to us as our thirst for water.
The object of our thirst goes by many names. Some call it love, ot...more
Mason Wren
Excellent use of metaphor and word-pictures...ones that have stayed with me and I continue to use in counseling. This booked gave me language and pictures for ideas I was wrestling with, and I am very thankful for that. The first half of it was better for me than the last, but still very good. Great book on the bigness of Jesus beyond the institutions we try to limit Him to, and His availability to meet the deep thirst of everyone who is willing to open to Him.
Ryan
What is it about former marketing executives having a way to relate the Christian faith in a way that is fresh and appealing? Was I just sold something?

I think I must have highlighted about half of this book. Good illustrations of God, religion, and faith. A bit too loose with theology for my taste (and I'm pretty loose) but a quick, enjoyable read nonetheless. Like his former fellow pastor at Mars Hill, Hipps is a great communicator.
Marty Solomon
As many of the reviews and endorsements state, this book will be an incredible journey through images that communicate the heart of the conversation about Jesus. Hipps has a gift with the ability to use picture, image and metaphor to bring ideas into the light. Time and time again, Shane takes a complex idea, puts in a metaphor, and the reader walks away with a whole lot more clarity of thought.

The book is based on the premise that the Christian "religion" is like a merchant selling water by a r...more
Phil Aud
This review contains spoilers.

Shane brilliantly uses metaphor. This book is packed full of metaphor all of which are his own. There are no end notes and no bibliography. These are Shane’s thoughts on scripture. I found many of these metaphors to be stunning and well thought through.

I have seen the typical ugly reactions to Shane’s promo video online. While I wasn’t a fan of his promo video (at all), I think it brings up an important point that Hipps makes regarding the lenses through which we vi...more
Rielly Mclaren
I love Shane's analogies. He has a brilliant way of putting grace into perspective. He reminds me of Henri Nouwen, possibly the Henri Nouwen for this generation? His book reminded me of the importance of the inner journey, and discovering you already have what you seek. He has a calming way of writing, which expands your mind and helps you see God in ever nook and crevice of life.

I gave it three stars because it lacked a significant component, a larger cosmological understanding of the Gospel. I...more
Robert Rosenthal
"Selling Water by the River" is a wonderful book. I suspected it would be from the title alone. Could there be a better metaphor for the relationship between spirituality and formal religion--the felt experience of Spirit and God as opposed to the formulaic system of beliefs that constitute religion--than this? Among the many current authors who try to pry the original message of Jesus free from the twisted tangle of dogma and misunderstanding that have sadly come to characterize much of mainstr...more
Tosha Sisler
Jul 20, 2014 Tosha Sisler is currently reading it
Shelves: spiritual, christian
This book is being reviewed at Chautauqua this year. It has a great prose style and the sample touched on many of my innate yearnings and questions. As someone who has tried to maintain a sense of Christianity while searching beyond its religious borders, into other faiths and spiritual practices, in order to compensate for what I find lacking within its religious dogma and to feed that deep need within myself, I am very intrigued to explore this book more.
Leslie
I read this for a church discussion group, and I thought that it was a great read. The author shows how multi-layered Jesus' parables are and uses concrete stories and comparisons to explain his points. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to understand the New Testament better, who feels stymied by church structure, or skeptical of the concept of heaven.
Michael Oliver
Hipps is plugged in, man. He sees spiritual metaphors and analogies in everyday life that he uses to create easily digestible morsels. I enjoyed watching the woman sawed in half - knowing full well she would later bow on stage unscathed... so it was watching Hipps work magic on our churchy ways.
Shawn Skaggs

Phipps does a great job of teaching people what it is to follow Jesus without the constraints or added dogma that come along with religion. One of the most important things is that he does so in a way that does not come off as offensive or patronizing.
Mariam
Refreshing and freeing of so much of the religious guilt many of us are brought up with. Shane creatively reminds the reader of the gift of life Jesus offers and he starkly points out how often we miss out on the river because we buying from vendors standing next to it. My favourite quote: 'He (#Jesus) didn't come that we would become more religious or even more spiritual. Jesus came to show us what it truly means to be human - to live life conscious of the exquisite gift we've been given. He ca...more
Kevin Clementson
A thoughtful reflection on faith and religion. Hipps does an admirable job of helping the reader reflect upon Jesus as one who helps us discover the intimate and immediate qualities of God's presence in our lives. Painfully missing is any real sense of the community aspect of life. One could easily 'assume' that community is that which gets in the way. Still this is a book that can be helpful in sorting out that which can be helpful or harmful to ones personal walk.
Wendy
Shane Hipps is an incredibly talented writer, teacher and thinker. I am so grateful for this book and for what Shane is sharing. As he so eloquently illustrates, the church can sometimes get in the way of our faith in Jesus. Shane takes it back to the source and starts from there. This is a great book to give to your friends -those who might have walked away from 'religion' but still hold out hope for Jesus.
Sarah Nagy
I liked Hipps' message overall. Something more people need to hear I think. I thought his writing was very accessible, but I personally found it a little boring. I could only read a chapter or two a night.
Charles Dean
I liked the central metaphor - God is the river, religion a merchant that sells water by the river. The merchant isn't the river.

Some good stuff here, but I got a little bored towards the end. I felt like I wanted more about the metaphor - how does religion get in the way? How do we DO religion in a way that leads people to the river and doesn't get in the way?
This book will make you rethink several things about Christianity, but I think in a good way. The gist of it is that we should be focusing more on bringing heaven to earth as much as we can rather than the heaven after we die. That is important, but not the end all be all. I am probably not doing it justice because it is a wonderfully complex book.
Jeremy
Amazing book on living for Jesus and how it can be very different than the Christianity we are taught to believe in. Rarely have I read a Christian book that I agree with on so many different levels. highly recommended. I was blessed to have Shane Hipps as my pastor for a few years in the past at Trinity Mennonite Church in Glendale, Az.
Joel Cox
Full of beautiful metaphoric descriptions of the Kingdom of God. Shane Hipps has a well articulated and imaginative way explaining God and what God is all about. Highly recommended.
Jon Mills
Shane has a wonderful gift of being able to take simple stories from daily life and use them to clearly expound a deep truth. I was taught and inspired. This is one of those books I plan on reading again.
Harley Mathews
wonderful. enlightenin. challenging. I'm already looking at ways to share with my own church these great gems of scripture prose and interpretation. looking forward to reading it again!
Melissa
Breathtaking. I learn best through story telling and analogies, and Hipps has a gold mine of them to offer. My heart will be churning around these gems for awhile.
Josh
Nice, fun book that I would recommend if I had a friend struggling with shedding his received Christian identity and trying to figure out what may come next.
Leanne
This book does a good job of simplifying who Jesus is and what He is all about. Gives one much to think about.
Bianca
An inspring book for followers of The Way and those who are curious. Easy read.
Lillian Daniel
Beautiful writing and imagery from a gifted teacher.
Kim
Really enjoyed this book. Great perspective and thoughts.
  • Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World
  • When "Spiritual but Not Religious" Is Not Enough: Seeing God in Surprising Places, Even the Church
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers (Spiritual Theology #4)
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
  • Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate
  • Follow Me to Freedom: Leading and Following As an Ordinary Radical
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure
  • The Idolatry of God: Breaking Our Addiction to Certainty and Satisfaction
  • The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows
  • Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus
  • Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture Cats Don't Bark: How to Find Your Purpose

“Truth without love, isn't.” 2 likes
“Some, in an effort to protect and preserve the gospel message, have become like the guards in that museum, fueled by fear that it could be damaged or stolen if they are not vigilant in their watch. They have mistaken the good news for an ancient artifact that needs to be protected. But that is not its nature. This kingdom is a lot more like a tree. God is looking for gardeners, not guards. A guard is trained in a defensive stance of fear and suspicion. A gardener is motivated by love and creativity.” 1 likes