Start by marking “Humblebrag: The Art of False Modesty” as Want to Read:
Humblebrag: The Art of False Modesty

Humblebrag: The Art of False Modesty

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From comedian and writer (Parks and Recreation, Eastbound & Down) Harris Wittels comes a hysterical breakdown of boasts, brags, and self-adulation disguised as humble comments and complaints-based on his popular @humblebrag Twitter feed.

Something immediately annoyed Harris Wittels about Twitter. All of a sudden it was acceptable to brag, so long as those brags were eve...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Humblebrag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humblebrag

Matt
While I congratulate Harris Wittels on popularizing the term "humblebrag" and making it a thing to be observed and mocked because so many of us do use them, it seems a little like even he misses the point. Don't get the audiobook because him reading and commenting on hundreds of tweets is not so great a pop-culture mockery as you might imagine. Some of the tweets responded to and the responses are pretty funny, but many are off base and there's a whole chapter that seems to miss the point. His c...more
Nette
I'm familiar with Harris Wittels from the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, so I know how funny he is, but I wasn't sure how he could talk about fake-ly modest tweets for a whole book. But he did! And it's very funny, perfect for a quiet night or long a plane trip. You know, like when you're flying home (first class) from the Oscars, and you end up sitting next to Beyonce, and she recognizes you! #weird #cantbelievethisismylife
Adam
So, Harris Wittels wrote a book, and it's not a Deep Thoughts-style Foam Corner collection? Because that would be the proverbial shit. That would be like getting sprung off that Molly while "Harry Hood" played over the speakers at my favorite restaurant, Tapas the Mornin' to Jah. Instead, this collection of Humblebrags just doesn't have enough Wittels. Still pretty fun, though.
Amanda
This is a really fun easy read. The concept is hilarious and fresh. Humble brags are a type of statement that allows the perpetrator to boast “without shame or guilt” because they have included something "faux-humble" and often self-deprecating. Most of the book is made up of statements made by celebrities (and people that think they are celebrities) on twitter. No one is safe from being called out on their humblebrags. Harris Wittels calls out everyone from Barak Obama to Taylor Swift, even Opr...more
Wes Young
Harris Wittels is a funny guy. That's not a loaded statement or anything other than an opinion. In interviews, he comes off as a little shy, maybe even a tad uncomfortable, and yet I wonder if it's not just for show (He is known to whip out his dick in the writer's rooms of the various television show's he works on, as referenced in Sarah Silverman's "The Bedwetter"). But he is a comedy writer, not a performer, and behind his Twitter account, he becomes like so many other "anonymous" internet vo...more
Erin
Good concept, poor execution. This book was also five times too long. The only reason I finished it was because my power was out and I was stuck under the covers, hugging my dog and resigning myself to a frigid death.
Paul
I originally put off the book because although it seemed like an easy read, I didn't know if I wanted to waste my time on it. Only after I started, I found myself reading further not for the humblebrags them-self but for the snarky responses he added after each individual tweet. I will say not all were funny but every now and then, you would come across a comment and laugh. I also liked that not all the tweets were from famous celebrities and that he included a few non-celebrities. All in all th...more
Deborah
I won this through the goodreads first reads program.

This is funnier than some other tweet based books I've read. The snarky author comments on the original tweets are good and make the book.

Over all it's better to read small bits at a time, rather than all at once, even though it's a short book.

Sometimes it might have been better to have them in a random order rather than grouped into chapters. Some of the chapters seemed to be the same joke over and over.

Jackie
The non-celebrity tweets are a lot funnier than celebrity tweets (apparently celebrities saying they met with other celebrities or won an award is hilarious humblebragging?), but the book is 90% celebrity tweets. If the entire book was like the Totes McGotes chapter, it'd be great. As it is, it's pretty much acting like celebrities talking about their lives is inherently hilarious.
Lauren
"Humblebrag" is hilarious! Even better than the self-aggrandizing tweets is Wittels' clever rejoinders, they are what make the book a truly funny, laugh out loud read. In the spirit of the book, I shall compose my own humblebrag: I wish I didn't read so quickly so that I could enjoy books like "Humblebrag" for longer! #awkward
Janet
Sep 25, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
the author writes a very fine line! It is a true art to mask a brag. Congratulations to his innovative thinking and sharing this all with us. Wish I would of thought of this but then again I was focused in other directions. Would truely love to win this book!
Dennis Diehl
Sickening, but in a good way. These types of books are always hard to rate or review so I'll lean on Sarah Silverman: "... an amazing assembly of hilariousness and an anthology of heartbreaking insecurity. Enjoy it—but don't forget how sad it was." Well put.
Maryellen
It is what it is: a book to read in small bites, when you're distracted and just for a laugh here and there. The laughs were really kind of few and far between for me - the author just seemed combative for no reason.
Alanna R
Quick but funny read. It's more of a coffee table book and Wittels admits that, so it's there to pick up, browse through and laugh whenever you've got the time. But I read it all in one sitting and laughed a lot.
Emily Boivin
i won this book on goodreads and am so glad i did as i have not laughed so much in a long time. i highly recomend this read if you are looking for something to amuse you. and i garentee this book will do just that.
Abdul Kassamali
Those of you who enjoy the comedy of Harris Wittels will find this book very entertaining. It's a very easy read. Feels more like a series of blog post than an actual book (which it essentially is).
Colby Allen

I am pretty much predetermined to like anything associated with Grantland and humblebrag is no exception. It doesn't hurt that it only takes a few hours to read and is exceptionally funny.
Harris Wittels is one of my favorite funny people (and he did make me laugh here), but even Steve Martin couldn't make me enjoy an entire book of tweets. I am parting ways with this genre forever.
Joy
Oct 01, 2012 Joy marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Humblebrag - When you, usually consciously, try to get away with bragging about yourself by couching it in a phony show of humility.

- from www.urbandictionary.com
Erin
Sep 15, 2012 Erin marked it as to-read
Caught the tail end of CBC's (Canada's NPR) interview with the author. I liked what little I heard from Wittels and now I want to read his book.
Calixta
Jul 24, 2012 Calixta marked it as to-read
An entire chapter about someone on twitter who goes by @TotesMcGotes, whos twitter feed is full of Humblebrags. Absolutely hilarious.
Kace
Laughed more at the tweets, than the commentary, but I still laughed.
Keegan
Hilarious in a humble way ;)
Stephen Oxman