Start by marking “Zombies Hate Stuff” as Want to Read:
Zombies Hate Stuff

Zombies Hate Stuff

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Zombies hate kittens.

Zombies don't mind babysitting.

Zombies really hate sharing.

Zombies love one thing...
Published March 21st 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published March 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Zombies Hate Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies Hate Stuff

Becky
Jul 20, 2012 Becky rated it it was ok
Last weekend, I was visiting my brother and I saw that he had a copy of this book. He mentioned having another copy that was signed so I asked for one, and he gave me the unsigned copy. The cheapskate. I am the elder child, therefore I should have all the prime goodies, dammit!

*sigh*

Although... It was free and has zombies I won't complain TOO much. Maybe.

Anyway, so, even though it was the obviously less desirable copy, I read it. "Read" being mostly figurative, since there are only 80 words in
Aug 03, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie

This book may not have many words, but there is a story living in every picture. Every page is a giggle or puzzle or question. Why do zombies hate cliffs and soccer? Why do they like outhouses and celery? The celery page is brilliant! *grins*

But my favorite image was the roving bands of ninja. I mean come on! Ninjas and zombies! How could you not smile at that?! :)

A clever, morbid book filled with zombie humor. A must for zombie fans. A MUST!

Peter Derk
Aug 06, 2012 Peter Derk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm confused. Not so much by the book but more as to why there are so many reviews of the book.

Not to mention one that's hidden because it contains spoilers.

People, let's calm down with the use of "spoiler alerts" on everything. There's a difference between a spoiler and saying something that happens in the book.

If you'll indulge me for a second, this book lets you know that zombies hate roving bands of ninja. Okay, so that's a thing that happens in the book. But we already knew that zombies ha
Emily
Jul 03, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very naughty person told me that reading graphic novels is cheating to accumulate books for my reading challenge. I say not. But this book? This is definitely cheating.
This book can be read in 2 minutes. A literal 2 minutes.
But it was 2 minutes of giggling, and I call that a win. I must spread the jocularity.
Therefore, despite the vile accusations that will come my way, I will face them bravely to recommend this book. This very short book.
Kate
Feb 27, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: age-adult, zombies, 2015
Someone donated this cute little book to the library. It's basically a list of things zombies hate and a handful of things zombies love, illustrated. It's fairly amusing if you enjoy zombies...
Arielle Walker
Feb 05, 2016 Arielle Walker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: visual
Cute, with some funny moments. Not really "book-worthy" though...
Beth
Meh. I think Stones could have done a lot better with this. It seemed to be a collection of things that the author despised, and he just stuck a zombie in the picture. Some were kind of funny, like dodgeball and mannequins, but most of them were puzzling. I mean, regifting? Seriously?! And there were some I plain didn't get, such as "naked." Why wouldn't zombies like naked people? Doesn't that mean dinner is easier to get? Some just don't seem very well thought out.

On the plus side, this book to
Courtney
Aug 13, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-book, zombies
Did you know that Zombies hate hippies? And kittens? They do. They don't seem to mind Canadians or teddy bears. But they really hate trees. And they love you.
This is a hilarious little book that can be read in about 2 minutes. So if you have a couple minutes to spare, find out what else Zombies hate. It could mean the difference between life and death during the Zombie Apocalypse. Or not.
Laszlo
Nov 20, 2012 Laszlo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
This book is basically telling us about the emotions of zombies, who, until now, most of us have thought of as emotionless. We follow one zombie around for a while and we investigate its Psychology: What it likes, hates, etc. We also, at the end of the book, learn about the one thing that it loves: You!

Some people may say that this book is simple and made for entertainment, but lo, analyze the material and find out that in fact its Philosophical resonances are one of the main things within the b
Karen
Sep 05, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
I have to agree with Zombie that sock monkeys and mannequins ARE creepy while ice-fishing Canadians (with hockey sticks) are a-OK. This short, funny graphic novel made YALSA's Quick Picks list and I already handed it off to a reluctant reader who gave it two thumbs up for the moon penguins alone. Each page places Zombie in a full-color, minimalistic yet evocative setting with a one or two word caption. Could inspire a "Stuff Zombies Hate" guessing game (charades or drawing) at a library zombie p ...more
Dave
Nov 17, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONE MINUTE REVIEW

What’s it about?
Charming, absurdist picture book. Kind of a novelty gift for zombie geeks.

Is it any good?
It is! See zombies terrified and perplexed by the things they hate - sock monkeys, weddings, dog poop, and more - as rendered in a quirky, watercolor style that uses repetition of proscenium staging for its humor. Bonus sections on things zombies "Don't Mind" (like Canadians) or "Really Hate" (like Moon Penguins) bring the book to a fun wrap.

Any problems?
Nope.

Who would like i
Cheryl
Feb 11, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for a friend who is a little zombie obsessed - ok, a LOT zombie obsessed (he even has a gun where the safety says "zombies"). What makes this little gem of a book funny is the absurd choices of things Zombies hate, really hate and don't mind. I guess I will go to Canada in the event of the zombie apocalypse because Zombies apparently don't mind Canadians. I also enjoyed the illustrations, which some made me laugh out loud. My husband even thought this book was funny and he couldn't ca ...more
Arminzerella
I don’t know what “moon penguins” are, but zombies really hate them. And also unicorns, roving bands of ninja, and llamas (aw.) This collection of things zombies hate (complete with illustrations of a particular zombie hating them) is bizarre, but you’ll likely crack a smile after a page or two. I’m not sure how zombies’ tastes were tested or if they were polled, but who cares? It hits my funny bone in ALL the right places.

There's something about this book. It makes me laugh more every time I lo
Cat
Mar 25, 2014 Cat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Great illustrations.
Susan
Sep 12, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am confused by all the terrible ratings of this book. What were you all expecting, fine art or enlightenment? It looks like some guys drank a couple beers and for laughs made a list, illustrated the list and then convinced a publisher it was a good idea. When we found this at the library we had to be shushed we were laughing so much.

This book is a novelty, it is not literature. Lighten up and have fun. I hate sharing too!
Beth Wood
Jul 13, 2012 Beth Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, funny
This adult comedy book is basically a picture book of single-page drawings. The selection of things zombies hate is fairly random, which adds to the humor. The zombie drawings are excellent, especially the ones where the hapless zombie is missing a body part. Good for a few laughs, probably a must-have for the zombie aficionado in your life.
Brandy Shark
Dec 26, 2013 Brandy Shark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a super cute and funny book. I don't know why there are negative comments; what are people expecting from a book like this?

It's meant to be fun and enjoyable, and I laughed out loud.
Paul  Hankins
Hey. . .sometimes you just need a little "mental floss" reading. This is a fun "list" of items that zombies hate, don't mind, really hate. . .and one thing they love.

Good fun, but the illustration accompanying, "disrespect" may prove troublesome for classroom usage.

Elizabeth
I was hoping for sentences, for stories or jokes, and I was surprised to find only one word on each page. The book is profusely illustrated, and it is funny enough for what it is. Quirky and slightly cute. I think my review is longer than the book.
Thomas Shaw
Mar 22, 2012 Thomas Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
In a rare turn, I was wondering through a B&N when I came across this gem. It took me all of three minutes to read it but it enhanced my day 100 times over. Read if you want a good laugh.
Jan 01, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Best coffee table book I could ever have.
Shanda Kinkade
Sep 28, 2012 Shanda Kinkade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute and clever. The sheer randomness of just what Zombies hate, really hate and don't hate had me and my friends giggling with every turn of the page.
R
Sep 13, 2012 R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously--too funny! I loved the juxtaposition between things that zombies hate (such as kittens and hippes). It just cracked me up how this was put together.
Anelis
Sep 20, 2013 Anelis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies really hate disrespect.

description
Mark
Apr 06, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fictions
Zombies hate clowns. They also hate hippies, not to mention zip lines, penguins, moon penguins, nudists, weddings, sharing, and kittens. They really hate unicorns, strangely don’t mind Canadians, and love YOU. Each of Greg Stones’s ghoulishly colorful paintings reveal funny and unexpected scenes of zombie disgruntlement, cataloging the stuff that really riles up the walking dead (astronauts, rain, bagpipes, re-gifting, and more) with wit, humor, and, of course, brains. Zombies Hate Stuff offers ...more
Eli Poteet
Dec 25, 2013 Eli Poteet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
A present from my big bro, this is a fantastic book! Highly recommended.
Alexis Winning
Aug 11, 2013 Alexis Winning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew! Thank goodness zombies don't mind Canadians.

I also hate moon penguins.
Briony
I didn't get it whatsoever. Barely any of it made sense to me.
Megan
Jul 10, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Zombies and I have something in common. We BOTH hate moon penguins.
Zim
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The New Deadwardians
  • Deep Dark Fears
  • Marvel Zombies Supreme
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World (Simon's Cat #4)
  • Unshelved (Unshelved, #1)
  • Brief Thief
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice