Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Hawkeye” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Hawkeye

Ultimate Comics Hawkeye (Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #1.5)

Hawkeye's back in a bad way. Armed and dangerous, Clint Barton is tasked with his most perilous mission yet. And what he discovers will revererate across the entire Ultimate Universe. Tasked on a covert and dangerous mission, Hawkeye finds himself in the middle of an international arms race--but on the brink of obtaining a serum that will change the course of mutant histor ...more
Published August 8th 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Hawkeye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Hawkeye

Mike
Dec 22, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Well, technically I finished it. I finished the comic portion of it. I didn't read the script for issue #1 that was included in the back of the collection.

In the Ultimate Universe, the nations we know as (I think) Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam have been united for some time into the Southeast Asian Republic* -- the SEAR. A couple of SEAR scientists invent a mild cold virus with a twist -- it spreads within hours and rewrites human DNA, making it incredibly resistant to change by t
Nikki
Dec 31, 2013 Nikki rated it it was ok
Ultimate Hawkeye seems to be the jumping off point for a larger plot about "the People", who are like mutants and are staging a revolution. It isn't really about Hawkeye being a badass, but nor is it like Matt Fraction's take on Hawkeye where he's more like an ordinary guy. Hickman's Hawkeye is... kinda badass, kinda snarky, definitely Fury's right hand man.

It's okay, but I'm not that interested in reading more. I was most interested by the part Bruce Banner/Hulk played in this, I think, the way
Sam Quixote
There’s trouble a-brewing in South East Asia as some kind of supervillains wreak havoc in the major cities, and Nick Fury dispatches Hawkeye to deal with it. I think Hawkeye is really the weakest of the Avengers, take away his bow and arrows and he’s basically Bullseye only not as crazy.

The book’s villains have to be among the blandest created yet. They’re imaginatively called “the People” and the serum that turned them into eternal gods from regular humans is called “the Serum” and the source
SA
May 05, 2012 SA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
Dear Ultimates,

HAWKEYE DOES NOT HAVE SPECIAL POWERS.

But thanks for making a book about just him anyway.

Always 50-50 on your titles,
me.
Garrett
Mar 02, 2017 Garrett rated it liked it
It's easy to dismiss Marvel's Ultimate Universe as a mixed-use experiment, but some good stuff came out of there - Miles Morales Spider-Man, Nick Fury's new incarnation, and so on - and it's important to remember that the cinematic characterization of Hawkeye, his attitude and looks, are a kind of fusion of the Ultimate universe and what used to be 616. I'm not sure what it is now. Further, Jonathan Hickman can write the fuck out of some dialogue, and so while many elements of this are placehold ...more
Shannon
Dec 31, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
I like the Hawkeye character. In the Ultimate Universe he is a soldier, not a carny turned superhero. His abilities have been enhanced, and he is more like Bullseye than the regular Hawkeye, but in the Ultimte Universe normal human heroes do not live very long. This darker, deadlier Hawkeye fits better, but the story he is thrown into still seems too big for his character. The villians are numerous, and their powers are Thor or Hulk level, so Hawkeye is not the hero you really want confronting t ...more
Martin
Oct 01, 2012 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"There's an urgent mission only one man can handle." Hey, is this a comic book or this year's Die Hard? Lines like that usually guarantee I walk away and pick something else. But, y'know, I'm just getting back into the whole Ultimate line and I thought maybe this book might be relevant to the over-arching storyline. I guess we'll find out down the line if and when Hickman ties up all the eventual loose ends of his run when he leaves the title...

First thing that came to mind while reading this bo
Mike
Feb 09, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, moves along at a quick pace, gets us interested in a whole new piece to the Ultimate Universe puzzle. Hickman gives us a Clint Barton with a chip on his shoulder, focused and determined but a little wild too. Sexy 21st century Hawkeye.

Gets off to a quick start - action movie style. And some fun battles and villains. Felt like it was over too soon.

I've tried to think of something more to write about the book in this review for three days now after finishing the book. I finally realised that
Justin
Nov 24, 2016 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was never a fan of Hawkeye, at least not in the "regular" Marvel Universe, but I loved Mark Millar's interpretation of the character in The Ultimates: Ultimate Collection, so of course I had to check out the Ultimate Comics Hawkeye trade, which collects the full 4-issue limited series by Jonathan Hickman and Rafa Sandoval.

I was hoping this would be more of an origin story like Ultimate Comics Thor, and while there are some flashback scenes that clue us into Clint Barton's past, the story is mo
David
Jun 13, 2014 David rated it liked it
This isn't one of the stronger books in the Ultimates universe, but it's fairly entertaining. The story is short and the pace is quick, so anyone with half an hour to kill could read this and move on with their lives.

The story is the biggest weak point. While it's nothing too terribly boring or clichéd (it's not original, but a cool idea nonetheless), my biggest problem is that the story seems designed solely to set up a race of man-made mutants, which then only appear in a few books after this
Gayle Francis Moffet
Hickman writes a strong story, as always, and gives us plenty of action and moments of Hawkeye being the known, hard-working person he is. His relationship with Fury, one of mutual respect and trust, is interesting and nice to see. Hawkeye's past is possibly even darker than it is in 616, but this is the Ultimates universe, so that's not really a surprise.

The problem with this book rests on one very small detail: In 616 Marvel, Hawkeye is a perfectly average human being with an extraordinary ski
Aaron
Aug 09, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some pretty cool ideas in this book, but they don't quite pay off in the end. In fact, they straight up tell you to keep reading Hickman's Ultimates to find out what happens. I'm planning on reading the rest of Hickman's Ultimate stuff, but still, as a standalone book, this one leaves a lot to be desired.

Hawkeye is called in to the SEAR (Southeast Asian Republic, which I guess is a fun way for the Ultimate universe to dump all the East Asian countries into one without having to worry about actua
Terry Collins
Interesting thriller that cherry picks from what was once known as "the Marvel Universe" to set up the pulse-pounding pending big-ass senses-shattering, hot new superstar artist, you must not miss because in this issue - somebody dies! etc. caravan of hype Marvel presents to their readership these days. Confusing storytelling had me rereading pages several times to figure out what was going on exactly. As far as I can tell, according to this story-line, Hawkeye is a mutant - which is why he's st ...more
Alan
Aug 06, 2012 Alan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With The Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars and FF I really thought writer Jonathan Hickman was a comer. If this hadn't been so short I would have tossed it completely aside. The usual attractiuon for me with character mini-series is a chance to have a story where depth is added to the character.

Here, zero, a complete zero as to adding to the reader's understanding of who Clint Barton is and why he ended up part of The Program (nor are we told what the program is). In addition, I am growing more irrita
Jeff
Jul 20, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
The man with the deadliest aim in the Ultimate universe goes on a solo mission that has a serious impact on his universe in this collection by Jonathan Hickman.

This story not only gives us some of Clint Barton's back story, but also gives us the Ultimate's version of both Xorn and the phrase "No more mutants." Clint is called into a grave situation in southeast Asia, as tensions are erupting with the results of a deadly arms race reaching a fever pitch.

A fast paced read, nothing ground breaking
Anchorpete
Nov 04, 2013 Anchorpete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first few issues of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates, By Jonathan Hickman, I was slightly confused, but I was able to decipher what was going on. My main question was "Is Hickman so bold that he would throw us into such a complex story and have us figure it out?" While Hickman does something like this on a much smaller scale in his other works, I needed to read Ultimate Comics Hawkeye to see how the whole conflict began.
With this first piece in place, it created this fantastic t
Holden Attradies
I was really hoping this would be awesome but it was pretty disappointing. My biggest disappointment is "super villains take over the world and threaten EVERYONE" has become VERY old in the Ultimate line. It seems to have been used so many times now that it just plays off as unbelievable and no longer threatening, something the Ultimate universe had been trying to avoid originally.

I also REALLY didn't like the art for Hawkeye within the comic. The cover art was great, but inside the book he jus
Sean
May 05, 2015 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel completists, Hawkeye superfans
The biggest problem this book has is its not a Hawkeye book. Its an Ultimates story involving Hawkeye and should have taken place in that book. We are given a very brief look into Clint's past but the star of the book is sadly the antagonists. There is even in the inclusion of some Ultimate Universe mutants with absolutely no exposition as to who they are or why they're present. Hickman is always a guy with big ideas, and the're here, just misdirected. The art by Rafa Sandoval is very good but h ...more
Brian
Aug 11, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate Comics Hawkeye introduces several important plot points into the post-Death of Spider-Man Ultimate Comics world. There's the Serum that creates super mutants, the twin brothers of Xorn and Zorn in Tian, as well as enjoying a story with Hawkeye, the Mutant X team and the Hulk.

It's important to the overall story line, but nothing really stands out. I will say I enjoyed seeing more of Hawkeye as this is the Ultimate Marvel Universe, so there's not as much time spent on some characters as i
Emma
Aug 12, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel, comics
Joe Odran Doran
Mar 13, 2012 Joe Odran Doran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hawkeye gets a lot of stick for being "the least exciting" of the Ultimates, but while there might be some truth to that in terms of his superpowers (or lack thereof, it isnt really clear) his character has always been good as far as im concerned.
This tpb really delves into his back history with Nick Fury, and the result is a well crafted and at times touching interaction between the two.
As for the plot, its a good mix of action and intrigue, and serves to whet your appetite for the newest Ulti
Mely
Feb 08, 2012 Mely marked it as read-seq-art  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Some interesting world-building changes going on here, but this doesn't have much about Hawkeye as a character -- a little bit about his recruitment by Fury, but if you're wondering how he's dealing with the murder of his girlfriend and children by a trusted colleague, keep wondering.

I also don't love the character design, even aside from Hawkeye's hair changing from blond to brunet apparently at random.
Taleisin
A solid Hawkeye adventure, this time our favourite archer is up against a group of super mutants called "The People". We also get some flashbacks to his backstory. According to this mythos, Hawkeye actually has super powers. His eyes see everything in high contrast and he's able to adjust the focal length of his vision. That's kinda cool. Although I'm not sure how I feel about him having super powers.

A quick read, but a good one.
Scott
Dec 30, 2015 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really sure what to make of this book. It is weird as a stand alone story. It may be better if it's part of a bigger story, but it doesn't look like it is. It is different from other versions of Ultimate Hawkeye as well. There was a lot of build up of action and no payoff with it. Instead we got some mystical eternal mumbo-jumbo.
Shannon Appelcline
A fair enough comic. The writing is good and there’s some interesting background on Hawkeye. The problem is that it feels largely redundant. There’s just enough new info here that you want to read it in addition to the contemporary Ultimates, but there’s not enough to actually make it feel very revelatory.
Alexandria
I rather enjoy the storylines Barton is set up to fail but he manages to pull it off in the end. I think I would have liked this comic set more if I hadn't already found Fraction's work. Fraction's Barton kind of spoils everyone else's for me. But I still can't resist a storyline where the much-sidelined archer ends up being the one between Captain America and a devastating personal attack.
John
Apr 25, 2012 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just didn't care much for this "Ultimate" version of Hawkeye. It is pretty much just a war comic with lots of action featuring a bad-ass special forces guy who happens to be an expert with a high-tech bow and arrow who also happens to be named Hawkeye. Not much character depth here. I prefer the "old-school" Hawkeye, goofy purple costume and all.
B
Aug 11, 2015 B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
I feel like I'm missing a lot of somethings here. This takes place as a sidestory to some other story?

Also, this whole thing seems like a macho swagger competition between Hawkeye and Nick Fury in which both have so much macho swagger they can never lose. It sort of misses the whole vulnerability of Hawkeye by turning him into protagonist-invincible Bullseye.
Sonic
Nov 25, 2014 Sonic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This feels like it might be the work of a young Hickman. Is it? I dunno.
It shows his penchant for high-falutin' sci-fi concepts, ... it also shows (unfortunately) his lack of effort in character development,
and though this was enjoyable,
it was not nearly as strong as much of his other (more recent?) work.
Alex Sarll
It's clear from his other work that Hickman can do politics, and he can do the experience of transcendence as corollary to superhuman evolution, and he can do new spins on Marvel concepts. So why does this mix of the three feel so much like an also-ran early-noughties Wildstorm comic?
  • Hawkeye: Blindspot
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 12: Hard Lessons
  • Scarlet Spider, Volume 2: Lone Star
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates (5 books)
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 1: The Republic Is Burning
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates: Divided We Fall United We Stand