Start by marking “Avengers Forever” as Want to Read:
Avengers Forever

Avengers Forever (The Avengers)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Heroes out of time! Through the years, the Avengers have fought myriad villains and monsters, protecting Earth and her inhabitants from harm. No matter the odds, no matter the sacrifice, Earth's Mightiest Heroes have always found a way to reach victory. Now, they face a different kind of menace. A menace so great, it has made allies out of sworn enemies. This seemingly unc ...more
Published November 23rd 2011 by Marvel (first published January 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers Forever

Jackie
It may have started slow, and confusing in the beginning - which makes complete sense since the first four issues was a set up to explain the purpose of the story - but in the end, everything came to together and it was awesome.
Nicolo Yu
I knew when I was buying this originally in single issues every month almost two decades ago that this story by Busiek and Pacheco was going to be a modern classic. This story would place in the top five of most Avengers' list of essential stories.

This was a story full of great scenes and iconic images. One inedible cover was that of issue four; a disillusioned Captain America on the verge of defeat kneeling in front of damaged statue of the original founders.

This story has remained for me an ev
Joseph Rice
Not a bad series. A lot of reviewers noted that, if someone didn't know all the history of the Avengers, they'd be lost in this book, as various Avengers from various timelines are brought together to fight for the sake of time itself. But I didn't find the Avengers themselves confusing. Busiek gives enough information to understand which Hank Pym we're getting, for instance.

Instead, like most time travel stories, this one gets a bit bogged down in bringing too many timelines together and trying
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oh, dear. I shouldn't have put off writing this review for so long. There is a lot going on in this book, because of the complexity of the storyline. It revolves around Rick Jones, a sort of honorary human sidekick of the Avengers who has some very traumatic moments, as well as having saved the Avengers himself a time or two. Immortus, a villain from the future fixates on him Rick Jones with the intention of killing him, and Rick uses his mental abilities to pull various Avengers from different ...more
Nicholas
Kurt. Kurt, my man. You let me down. I am so disappoint.

I am not a fan of time travel stories. I mean hypothetically, they could be done right, but I've yet to find a single case where there aren't at least tiny flaws in logic present. Most of the time there are huge gaping holes in the logic. Sadly, Avengers Forever falls into that latter category.

The premise is interesting - Avengers from different time periods are assembled to rectify dangers further down the time stream. As humanity spreads
Kurt
I like the Avengers, but this continuity-heavy limited series was a little much for me. The basic story is that Kang and Immortus are fighting over Rick Jones, so seven random Avengers get roped in from different time periods to save humanity and the future and time itself and whatever. Over the course of twelve issues, some continuity problems are resolved, but most of what looks like resolution feels more like a more streamlined confusion than anything else, with alternate timelines and parado ...more
The_Mad_Swede
I am a huge fan of Kurt Busiek's writing. I absolutely adore his Astro City and have read three out of the five hard cover collections of his run on The Avengers (the part of the run he did with George Perez, and the remaning two volumes await my attention) with great enjoyment. So, naturally I wanted to read his Avengers Forever miniseries (which originally came out simultaneously with some of those early Avengers issues of his and Perez's). Unfortunately the volume proved difficult to find, bu ...more
Adam Graham
This twelve issue 1990s Maxi-series finds a team of seven Avengers, all from different eras coming together to fight for the life of Rich Jones who, as a young man, aided the Hulk and brought the Avengers together. They're opposed by Immortus who, working for the Time Keepers, is determined to kill Jones who possesses the Destiny Force which has lead humans in many timestreams to become the terror of the galaxy. Along the way, as the Avengers cross time and space they meet the 1950s Avengers (la ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Busier knows his Avengers history and does a great job of playing with it here, by combining together 7 Avengers from a variety of eras and facing them with many classic events. He also makes great use of Kang and Immortus, two of the Avengers' best foes.

The story really shines through the first seven issues but then it starts to hit some bumps. Issues #8 + 9 are way too heavy on retcons, producing stories that are more about the past than the present (and not really updating the Avengers in an
Ryan Morris
I just read this for probably the fourth time and it still stands up as one of my favorite Avengers stories. Definitely NOT for the casual reader, AVENGERS FOREVER requires readers to have a good amount of Avengers history under their belts to be really enjoyed. Kurt Busiek is at his wordiest here, with many pages taking extra time to read. Sure, some of the peripheral dialogue can be skimmed, but there's such a large chunk of story exposition that demands attention.
When I first read this in 199
Miles
"it is a tale... full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing." Marvel's original claim to fame was quirky, "human" characters, where character development and chemistry were emphasized more than was typical for comics. Somewhere along the way, certain writers seemed to feel that they needed to raise the stakes in order to get readers excited. It was even better if they could stretch stories over multiple issues (maybe with some cross-overs along the way). Ideally, these stories would involve doze ...more
Tom
I've been on a kick of reading Avengers comics, and Kurt Busiek is one of my all-time favorite comic book writers, so this seemed like a natural fit.

It was pretty good, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. If Busiek has a flaw as a writer, it's his tendency to try to cram TOO MUCH onto the page at once. One pities his poor artists: "Okay, in this next panel, the Avengers fight an army of millions of soldiers ripped from history. Okay, now have a panel that shows all the Avengers from
Devin Bruce
Oct 25, 2008 Devin Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel Comics fans.
Shelves: adventure, comics, fiction
Avengers Forever is a superhero adventure story that spans the history of recorded time and a couple of theoretical dimensions, as well as nearly 40 years of Marvel Comics continuity. And with all that baggage, while it's really trying to soar, sometimes it gets held back. I really liked the idea of gathering 7 Avengers from throughout the team's history and trying to get them to work together. Having future members keeping secrets from past members, awkward interactions: the attention to the in ...more
Martin
4 stars for Carlos Pacheco's art (which was, as usual, Amazing!) and 2 stars for the story (which did not succeed in getting me 'hooked', or even more than mildly interested). Still, taken as a whole, I do award it 3 stars, so it was not a total waste of my time. To me, it just wasn't the 'oh-my-goodness' story that other reviewers make it out to be.
Michael
Great adventure. Kurt Busiek crafted an exciting story. He assembled a great team, and the different characters all have great moments. His use of Hawkeye is a particular highlight. Carlos Pacheco provided some incredible art for the book. There are many sequences that are simply jaw dropping. The only criticisms are that there are times the story drags a bit because the creators are tying up some loose continuity ends created by other Avengers stories, and there is a chapter towards the end of ...more
***Dave Hill
Collects the 12-issue maxi-series from the late 90s, wherein Busiek (with Roger Stern co-plotting) engages in a delicious feast of Avengers trivia and no-prizing, trying resolve in-continuity some of the outstanding plot hiccups across Avengers history.

With a team consisting of Avengers from their founding to the future, and the involvement of Kang and Immortus duking it out against each other and across history, it's far too confusing to summarize well -- you just have to lie back and enjoy it
Chris Ammerman
So disappointed. Strives for ultimate epicness but ends up feeling like self-parody. It's a retcon-a-palooza, to start. Full of paradoxes, MacGuffins, dues ex machina, and inexplicable blind spots. The visuals are all dramatic poses and explosions. The dialog is already hit-you-over-the-head expository, and then it has to tell what the visuals aren't showing, on top of it. It was a slog, and doesn't make me want to continue exploring the marvel lire.
Chris
Well, it's not quite as great as I remember, but it is still a fun and satisfying (albeit rather confusing) read. My biggest problem with the series (and with a lot of modern comics in general) is the need to try and untangle and explain years and years of convoluted comic book history. In doing so, the creators unwittingly make things more confused and convoluted, if that's even possible. There were a few other things that bothered, such as the characterization of Rick Jones and Hawkeye's terri ...more
Kellie
It is a little cheesy and hokey but it was a really great read. I was hesitant to read it but I am very glad that I made the time to do so. There is not much more that I can say without spoilers.
Devero
Una grande storia dei Vendicatori, sulla storia dei Vendicatori. Anche, la storia definitiva di Kang e Immortus.
Kurt Busiek, uno dei migliori scrittori di fumetti vivente, si lancia in un'analisi approfondita di molti dei momenti cruciali della continuity dell'universo Marvel, e tra le righe di una storia tanto bella quanto complessa, fornisce la sua interpretazione di ciò che questo gruppo di eroi è, è stato e sempre dovrebbe essere. Nulla a che vedere col ciarpame scritto da Bendis, anzi, all'
Brad Vavra
An enjoyable read

Heavy at times, overall a good trip through Kang's history. Would recommend to anyone with a history with the Avengers.
Travis
A huge, sprawling time travel epic that takes a small group of heroes from one end of time to the other, as well as all the stuff in-between and about a half dozen alternate histories.
More guest stars and pieces of Marvel history than seems possible to fit in one story and Busiek actually tries to show us where alot of past time travel stories fit together and actually make sense.

Big and cosmic, with a strong emotional core and a 'Oh, wow!' moment on every other page.
Wasn't thrilled with all the
M
Thanks to Kang, Immortus, and their myriad variations, the fabric of time is being shattered. Putting together a team of past, present, and future Avengers, Rick Jones finds himself trying to help save reality with his unruly sqaud. A shaken Captain America, twin Pyms (one sane, stable and giant; the other crazy, plotting, and small), a confident Wasp, a bow-and-arrow Hawkeye, Thunderbolt-turned-Avenger Songbird, and the future Captain Marvel unite for a time-spanning tale that answers numerous ...more
Chrysoula Tzavelas

After watching The Avengers my housemate handed me this, because I like Astro City. Unfortunately this is dull and incomprehensible for a new Avengers fan. The first and last chapters were interesting but it was full of as much history as you'd expect a time travel story to have and it was as poorly presented as most Marvel comics are. Because the author is good in other lines, I assume Marvel has a style guide that says 'Handle exposition badly.'

Anyhow, this might be great for long time fans b
David
It's batshit insane, mostly boring, very confusing and has a crappy narrative style that tries to emulate films by switching scenes in the midst of a line of panels etc. For me this was both jarring and confusing.

Some of the dialogue and exposition (particularly by Yellowjacket and Hawkeye) are cringe-worthy and it seems to me you need to be as much of an anorak as the writer to really appreciate it. I'd say within the first volume of six issues they introduce about 60 characters. That can get r
Patrick
If you're an expert on Marvel history this will make sense. Otherwise it's confusing and boring.
Sean Kennedy
It took me FOREVER to read this book as it was one thing a comic should never be: interminably boring. The story repeats itself incessantly, and relies so much upon continuity that it just becomes a jumbled mess. By the end I sighed with relief and thought for perhaps the first time in my reading history, "There's another Avengers book I'll never read again."
Tyler Hayes
A wonderful high-concept romp through Avengers history and backstory, only undermined by two issues full of solid walls of exposition. A fantastic read for anyone looking for some trivia-laden superhero action.
Sean
I love Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco both but this TPB was a little too much too swallow. I love the concept and some of the main ideas but at times there was just too much to wrap your head around. Add that to the ending have little to no effect on the Marvel Universe in general and you wonder if the story even matters.
Jon
Wow, this thing had a lot of narrative with it. The last couple of pages were pretty fun, but at least half of the "book" was quite poorly done and overly complex (as time travel stories often are). Unfortunately the wordiness of the book got in the way of, what was at times, some really eye-catching art.
Comic Books: This or That: Avengers edition 5 8 Mar 06, 2013 08:43AM
  • Marvel Knights: The Inhumans
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 2: Superhuman Law
  • Captain America: Operation Rebirth
  • Captain America: Prisoner of War
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek...

The Avengers (1 - 10 of 117 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 7
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 8
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 9
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 10
Marvels Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City Superman: Secret Identity Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession JLA/Avengers