Start by marking “The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)

The Vanishing (The Last Dogs #1)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  57 reviews
When all the humans in his world disappear, Max, a yellow Labrador Retriever, begins the search for his family. He knows that if he can just find Madame Curie, a wise, old black Lab, she'll be able to help. Madame had a premonition of astonishing events to come -- she might know where Max's family is.

But Max can't make the journey alone. Joined by friends Rocky and Gizmo,
Published September 4th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanishing

Brian
This started as a buddy read with my 9-year old daughter but a third of the way in - somewhere around the start of fourth grade, dance classes and Bridge to Terabithia - I was abandoned. She promises to finish it some day, but I'm trying to clear the 2014 "current reading" deck, so I tackled the rest of the book solo.

The story is a fun read, full of action for a young reader - especially dog loving children. Told through the eyes of a pack of dogs thrown together after an untold apocalyptic even
Mary
I read an advance copy of this book. Max loves his family, and cannot understand why they would leave him at the veterinary clinic and not return for him. This is the story of canine love and perseverance in a bleak world. All the people have vanished. It seems that all the birds have, too. This is a world of dogs, cats, wolves and rats. Max, described as a golden retriever by one character and as a yellow lab on the cover, and his two friends Rocky, a dachshund, and Gizmo, a terrier, don't know ...more
Elizabeth
i found this among the new releases in the children's section of my library. i got it because i love the cover. the story proved itself to be worthy of my attention also.

max is at the vet's office in a kennel when he realizes that the humans are gone. with the help of a dachsund (rocky) with moxy, max breaks free of the kennel and sets out to find where his pack leaders have gone.

on the way, rocky and max encounter wolves; a pack of dogs attempting to create their own utopia without the help of
J.T.
Max the Lab wakes up in a cage without food or water, plagued by nightmares of a spreading darkness. Clever though cowardly daschund Rocky frees Max and reluctantly joins him on a hair-raising adventure, fleeing wolves and communist dogs while seeking their owners. Along with hyperactive yorkie Gizmo, the three dogs fall into typical quest roles (Max=muscle, Rocky=brains, Gizmo=heart). Their adventures are also standard dystopian ones: finding food, fighting off gangs and doggedly seeking remnan ...more
Melissa Guimont
I was reluctant to start this because I knew it was a series that I have limited time for with all of my other books to read. I am glad I gave it a chance. I actually listened to it and loved the narrator. This book kept me on my toes from the beginning because I wanted to know what happened to the people. In his quest to find out, Max meets some charming and not-so charming creatures along the way. With the help of his friends, he's on his way to finding the answers he seeks and I am on my way ...more
Amanda
A book for dog lovers!
2017miac
It's been days since you've seen food and days since you've seen the vet, or any other living creature for that matter. All you want is to see your family, play fetch and run in the big open field you call home. Max is a golden Labrador who has all theses thoughts going through his head. Being stuck in a kennel for a long period of time gives him lots of room for thinking. But when a small Dachshund called Rocky appears outside Max's kennel, there's no time to think. Just get out, fight a pack o ...more
Wooga
A post-apocalyptic Homeward Bound, and believe it or not this is not the first one I've read. Apparently this is a burgeoning genre where pets try to survive in a world where their owners have left them.
Max, the generic everyman Golden Retriever, is left locked in his cage for a week only to find out all the humans have all dissapeared- and there are wolves poking their heads through the cat door, not a good sign.
Survivors is another book with almost the exact same plot. The main character is
Yapha
A thrilling adventure as Max, Rocky, and Gizmo go in search of their people. All of the people have disappeared, leaving the dogs and other animals alone to fend for themselves. Max does not know where his people have gone, but he knows that he must find them. His journey is complicated by ferocious wolves, territorial cats, and several groups of dogs who think they know what is best now that the people are gone. The first in a trilogy -- I look forward to reading the rest!

ARC provided by publis
Sandy Thorup
The Last Dogs: The Vanishing is the first book in a series of fantasy books, and i loved it. The book is about a Lab, Max,who has been locked up in a cage for several days. With the help of a Dachshund named Rocky, he realizes that the people have gone missing, and he goes on an amazing adventure to find them. In the process of finding his humans, he encounters starving wolves, an evil poodle, mad dogs, and plenty of other things against him. Driven by the need to find his people and to find his ...more
Ashley
Haley Farrow
This was a fun and intriguing book. I'm reading a lot of dog books lately;). Nicole read it recently, too I think. Dogs lose their owners and go on a quest to find them. It was fun!! Anyone would like it.
Lia Berg
I really really enjoyed this one. I just couldn't put it down once I started reading it!

This is about Max the Labrador who is on the quest to find his missing humans. But as he comes to find out, ALL the humans have vanished off the face of the earth!
He meets quite a few interesting animals on the way to find his humans, like the evil wolves that want all of Max's Kibble, the friendly cats of the boulevard and the Chihuahua who think's he's a cat. and the Rat King Longtooth!

He also finds new fr
Shelli
Ms. Yingling
Max, a yellow lab, has been abandoned at the vet's and is about to give up hope when the vet's dachshund, Rocky, frees him. Rocky relates how the humans packed up and fled, and Max is bound and determined to go and find them. First, he and Rocky have to battle wolves who want the store of kibble, and who contribute to the vet's house burning down. On the way, the two meet Gizmo, a peppy Yorkshire Terrier. They run into several different groups of animals along the way; the Enclave, run by a cont ...more
Del
Jan 02, 2015 Del rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: okays
I must say, the Last Dogs is based a lot on Survivors. The humans have gone missing and dog friends are trying to find them. It is totally Survivors--the main character, a golden retriever, is even just like Lucky (who is a golden retriever in the Survivors, also the main character).

I read the Last Dogs first. When I checked out Survivors I almost immediately realized that the Last Dogs was merely a copy!

It was like reading the same thing over again.
Sharon Bodnar
Yes, it's a kids book but I loved it. Dear Max, the labrador leads a perilous journey to find his family after allthe dogs are left behind by their humans. Good dogs, pompous dogs, and really bad dogs plus wolf battles, cats, and legions of sewer rats. Can't wait to continue the series.
Stacey
The humans has disappeared. Was it an earthquake? What happened? Follow along with Max and his friends as they woke up in a world where all the humans disappeared. How will these pets deal with the trauma? What a nice change to see the world in a perspective of a beloved pet.
Ms. LaPorte
Novels about the end of time, or epidemic outbreaks are exciting reads, but have you ever wondered what happens to the pets that are left behind? Christopher Holt covers that concern in "The Vanishing." Who'd have thought? Read or listen to this story of a different kind of survival, told from the point of view of a dog.
Ella Mcglynn
You never know what will happen in this book. First, there's Max trying to escape is cage at the Vets, and then he meets another dog named Rocky, and another dog named Gizmo, there's so much entertainment in this book, you'll be wanting more REALLY fast.
Richelle F
I also loved this book, which is the starting of the Last Dogs series. This book is filled with tons of adventures with three best friends who are dogs. I don't want to spoil the story, so I would recommend this book to people who love reading about animals.
Tana of Dumbledore's Army✞~
Great book! It had adevnture and drama then friendship also a bit of mystery! Twist and turns the ending is a total cliffhanger!
Nicole Hewitt
This was a great book to read with my daughter - highly recommended for any child who loves animals and/or adventure stories. The story tells of three dogs who are searching for their humans after all of the people suddenly mysteriously disappear. The dogs have to fight hungry wolves and strange dictator-led dog societies that pop up in the absence of people to take care of them. It's not always particularly realistic (the dogs are smarter than your average canine), but it's great fun and highly ...more
Elizabeth
Fun, good depiction of dog perceptions (smell, etc.), but you need to suspend disbelief for dog conversations.
Chantel
I found this book through OverDrive with my library and I was looking for an audiobook to listen to with the sleep timer set. I didn't have lofty needs, I love dogs and this sounded like a new twist to a dystopian story that I could get into. What I like best is trying to figure out what happened to all the people (it is told through the funnel of the dogs' perspective) and why the dogs were left alone. My only complaint is that the book doesn't feel resolved because it seems it was left open fo ...more
Beth
This is a post-apocalyptic dog story. Wolves do not get treated kindly, but cats do, in this story. I really liked animal stories when I was a kid, and I really love post-apocalypse stories now: thus, I'm the prime audience, and yes I will read this to my boys in a few years. The inside black and white illustrations were nice, since the text is long. Nothing too scary happens, and they discover new ways this animal only world is begining to shape up.

****Spoiler*****

They do not find out what's ca
Jenni
3.5 Stars but I'm rounding up because my son liked it so much that he wanted me to read it. It was far more enjoyable than I thought.
Skyler
Aug 04, 2014 Skyler added it
An amazing book. I liked how it was fast paced, and I can't wait to read the rest!
Barbara
Max,a golden lab, wakes up at the Vet's and realizes something is very wrong. The people have all vanished, his cage is locked and his food and water have run out. A little dachshund comes to his rescue and the two of them venture out into the wide world on a quest to find their human pack leaders. They face danger all along the way in the form of hungry, revengeful wolves, packs of dogs and menacing rats. This first book in a series is a great book to read if you or your child is a fan of anima ...more
  • The Storm (Dogs of the Drowned City, #1)
  • Doglands
  • Waggit's Tale
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Stay!: Keeper's Story
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • The Complete Book of Dragons: A Guide to Dragon Species
  • The Rescue (Dog Whisperer, #1)
  • Spunky Tells All
  • The Empty City (Survivors, #1)
  • Always October
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Just a Dog
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • The 13-Storey Treehouse
  • Neversink

The Last Dogs (4 books)
  • Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2)
  • The Long Road (The Last Dogs, #3)
  • Journey's End (The Last Dogs, #4)
Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2) The Long Road (The Last Dogs, #3) Journey's End (The Last Dogs, #4) Follow The Honey Bird The Egotist