The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)

The Vanishing (The Last Dogs #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When all the humans in his world disappear, Max, a yellow Labrador Retriever, begins the search for his family. He knows that if he can just find Madame Curie, a wise, old black Lab, she'll be able to help. Madame had a premonition of astonishing events to come -- she might know where Max's family is.

But Max can't make the journey alone. Joined by friends Rocky and Gizmo,...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanishing

Mary
I read an advance copy of this book. Max loves his family, and cannot understand why they would leave him at the veterinary clinic and not return for him. This is the story of canine love and perseverance in a bleak world. All the people have vanished. It seems that all the birds have, too. This is a world of dogs, cats, wolves and rats. Max, described as a golden retriever by one character and as a yellow lab on the cover, and his two friends Rocky, a dachshund, and Gizmo, a terrier, don't know...more
Elizabeth
i found this among the new releases in the children's section of my library. i got it because i love the cover. the story proved itself to be worthy of my attention also.

max is at the vet's office in a kennel when he realizes that the humans are gone. with the help of a dachsund (rocky) with moxy, max breaks free of the kennel and sets out to find where his pack leaders have gone.

on the way, rocky and max encounter wolves; a pack of dogs attempting to create their own utopia without the help of...more
Melissa Guimont
I was reluctant to start this because I knew it was a series that I have limited time for with all of my other books to read. I am glad I gave it a chance. I actually listened to it and loved the narrator. This book kept me on my toes from the beginning because I wanted to know what happened to the people. In his quest to find out, Max meets some charming and not-so charming creatures along the way. With the help of his friends, he's on his way to finding the answers he seeks and I am on my way...more
Wooga
A post-apocalyptic Homeward Bound, and believe it or not this is not the first one I've read. Apparently this is a burgeoning genre where pets try to survive in a world where their owners have left them.
Max, the generic everyman Golden Retriever, is left locked in his cage for a week only to find out all the humans have all dissapeared- and there are wolves poking their heads through the cat door, not a good sign.
Survivors is another book with almost the exact same plot. The main character is...more
Yapha
A thrilling adventure as Max, Rocky, and Gizmo go in search of their people. All of the people have disappeared, leaving the dogs and other animals alone to fend for themselves. Max does not know where his people have gone, but he knows that he must find them. His journey is complicated by ferocious wolves, territorial cats, and several groups of dogs who think they know what is best now that the people are gone. The first in a trilogy -- I look forward to reading the rest!

ARC provided by publis...more
Ashley
Shelli
J.T.
Max the Lab wakes up in a cage without food or water, plagued by nightmares of a spreading darkness. Clever though cowardly daschund Rocky frees Max and reluctantly joins him on a hair-raising adventure, fleeing wolves and communist dogs while seeking their owners. Along with hyperactive yorkie Gizmo, the three dogs fall into typical quest roles (Max=muscle, Rocky=brains, Gizmo=heart). Their adventures are also standard dystopian ones: finding food, fighting off gangs and doggedly seeking remnan...more
Ms. Yingling
Max, a yellow lab, has been abandoned at the vet's and is about to give up hope when the vet's dachshund, Rocky, frees him. Rocky relates how the humans packed up and fled, and Max is bound and determined to go and find them. First, he and Rocky have to battle wolves who want the store of kibble, and who contribute to the vet's house burning down. On the way, the two meet Gizmo, a peppy Yorkshire Terrier. They run into several different groups of animals along the way; the Enclave, run by a cont...more
Stacey
The humans has disappeared. Was it an earthquake? What happened? Follow along with Max and his friends as they woke up in a world where all the humans disappeared. How will these pets deal with the trauma? What a nice change to see the world in a perspective of a beloved pet.
Ms. LaPorte
Novels about the end of time, or epidemic outbreaks are exciting reads, but have you ever wondered what happens to the pets that are left behind? Christopher Holt covers that concern in "The Vanishing." Who'd have thought? Read or listen to this story of a different kind of survival, told from the point of view of a dog.
Ella Mcglynn
You never know what will happen in this book. First, there's Max trying to escape is cage at the Vets, and then he meets another dog named Rocky, and another dog named Gizmo, there's so much entertainment in this book, you'll be wanting more REALLY fast.
Tana~
Great book! It had adevnture and drama then friendship also a bit of mystery! Twist and turns the ending is a total cliffhanger!
Nicole Hewitt
This was a great book to read with my daughter - highly recommended for any child who loves animals and/or adventure stories. The story tells of three dogs who are searching for their humans after all of the people suddenly mysteriously disappear. The dogs have to fight hungry wolves and strange dictator-led dog societies that pop up in the absence of people to take care of them. It's not always particularly realistic (the dogs are smarter than your average canine), but it's great fun and highly...more
Chantel
I found this book through OverDrive with my library and I was looking for an audiobook to listen to with the sleep timer set. I didn't have lofty needs, I love dogs and this sounded like a new twist to a dystopian story that I could get into. What I like best is trying to figure out what happened to all the people (it is told through the funnel of the dogs' perspective) and why the dogs were left alone. My only complaint is that the book doesn't feel resolved because it seems it was left open fo...more
Beth
This is a post-apocalyptic dog story. Wolves do not get treated kindly, but cats do, in this story. I really liked animal stories when I was a kid, and I really love post-apocalypse stories now: thus, I'm the prime audience, and yes I will read this to my boys in a few years. The inside black and white illustrations were nice, since the text is long. Nothing too scary happens, and they discover new ways this animal only world is begining to shape up.

****Spoiler*****

They do not find out what's ca...more
Skyler
Aug 04, 2014 Skyler added it
An amazing book. I liked how it was fast paced, and I can't wait to read the rest!
Barbara
Max,a golden lab, wakes up at the Vet's and realizes something is very wrong. The people have all vanished, his cage is locked and his food and water have run out. A little dachshund comes to his rescue and the two of them venture out into the wide world on a quest to find their human pack leaders. They face danger all along the way in the form of hungry, revengeful wolves, packs of dogs and menacing rats. This first book in a series is a great book to read if you or your child is a fan of anima...more
Amarissa Wilson
This book is Awsome

Joanne
I was expecting not to like this book: the theme is so similar to a recent Erin Hunter release (The Empty city, Survivors #1) that I wonder why there is no copyright infringement issues between the two books. But I did glance at the first chapter and was immediately caught up in the story.

This book was very enjoyable and I know it will probably enchant young readers (and like me, the not-so-young) with it's lovable characters, fast pace, humor and selfless themes. I look forward to seeing more...more
Alice
I liked this book and one of the things that really made it a great read was that I felt like I was in the world as the main character, a Golden Lab, sees it. That being said, I was frustrated as a human not to know exactly what had happened to the humans! I could only infer from some of the clues the author inserts into the canine conversations. I am sincerely hoping that this kind of world does not exist for either canines or humans. I am curious about the next adventure for Max and his friend...more
Jenn
Rating by my 9-yr-old daughter. She loved it.
Serene
I purchased the audio version of this story. I enjoy stories about dogs, but I just struggled to get into this one. I found that I just didn't care enough for the quite generic main dog hero, and I got a bit tired of the 'must find my owner' quest and the evil poodle. I like things a bit less predictable.

I gave up after the dog commune bit. On to other stuff.
Nickie Livelaughlove
Nov 16, 2013 Nickie Livelaughlove rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers
I really love this book! Its very detailed and shows many points of interest. I enjoy reading this and because of that i rated this book a 5 star. This book is recommended for dog lovers as myself, its very creative to actually know what the dogs are both saying and thinking. This book is astonishing!
Darkened Warrior {Stare into your Nightmare}
*******SPOILER COMING!!!!!!!*********

This was interesting. But I don't like how most of the characters were..... Immature. I like how it ended with the Corporation, or, whatever you call it. I almost cried when Madame died. She seemed like a good dog. *Sigh* Oh well.
Edward Sullivan
An exciting, suspenseful beginning to a series about a doggy dystopia. The author seems to be going in the direction of trying to make this into an Animal Farm for middle grade readers. Fans of series like Warriors and Redwall will probably enjoy this one.
Allison Armstrong
At first I didn't think I would like it. I don't like to read about animals that have been mistreated, but when I got into it, I really enjoyed it. I will have to read more of the series to find out what happened to their people.
Courtney
Such an intriguing story!Loved it!
Joseph
Lots of running around in this book, but not much adventure. The main characters never really seem to get anywhere. Unfortunately, kind of dull in my opinion.
  • The 13-Storey Treehouse
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson, #3)
  • The Empty City (Survivors, #1)
  • Just a Dog
  • Trapped
  • Always October
  • Unstoppable
  • Everything for a Dog
  • Athlete vs. Mathlete
  • Story Time
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • Guinea Dog, (Guinea Dog, #1)
  • Waggit's Tale
  • The Candy Smash
  • Guess What?
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
  • A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)
Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2) The Long Road (The Last Dogs, #3) Journey's End (The Last Dogs, #4) Follow The Honey Bird The Last Dogs: Journey's End