The Right Hand

The Right Hand

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Meet Austin Clay, the CIA's best-kept secret.

There has always been a need in the spy game for operations outside the realm of legality-covert missions so black no one in the American government, and almost no one in intelligence itself, is aware of their existence. The left hand can't know what the right hand is doing.

Austin Clay is that right hand, executing missions th...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Mulholland Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Right Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Hand

Chris Reid

I try to follow the news, try to keep a weather eye out for rampant violence in the world as it is flashed across the wires in an endless news=cycle, try to understand the ebb and flow of terror and politics, and some of the meaning behind the action. The violence, and God knows there is more than enough, seems rampant in the Middle East (see Syria, Iraq, etc.) the Far East (see Indonesia, Myanmar, etc.). I kept trying to understand these matters in the context of this book - The Right Hand. The...more
Haley Mathiot
I started listening to The Right Hand with absolutely no idea what it was about, and within seconds I was entranced. Everything about this book was 5 stars or higher. The writing was right for the genre: descriptive and witty, but more focused on the point of the story than the writing itself. The pacing was perfect, the tone was awesome, and the characters were fabulous. I mean, a CIA spy who is so bad-ass and awesome at what he does that the organization doesn't even want to know how he gets h...more
James Kidd
Well. I got to page 64 of 260. I am now giving up. I don't see this improving sufficiently (on the basis of too many great books (or even good books) and too little time).
The trouble with the The Right Hand is a serious lack of detail and and therefore a serious lack of believability.
Why? An example. Clay, our protagonist, is an uber spy type. He is fast. We know this because we are told this many times. What are we are not told is what he does with guns. He takes down lots of Russian heavies....more
Katherine Clark
I really should give this 1 1/2. So many noteworthy authors blurbed this book. Geez. It was pretty bad. I didn't think Vince Flynn (other than maybe his first book) was a particularly good author, but Haas makes him look masterful. I won't be reading any others. I long to discover another thriller writer the likes of Joseph Finder and David Ellis.
Joe Jones
Sometimes things went terribly wrong. For Austin Clay that's just another obstacle to completing his mission. This fast paced spy thriller will grab you from the start and never let go.
Jakenv
Haas knows his stuff. Writing clear & concise. Old theme with new twists & a few red herrings to keep one intrigued. Not your usual spy novel so keep an open mind.
Jen
Wow! I went into reading this book with no expectations. It grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go until the last page.
Swanbender2001
This was good and I definitely want more of Austin Clay. Let's hope this is only the beginning.
Katherine Decker
intense and good
Blood Rose Books
Derek Haas is starting to make a name for himself with his espionage thrillers and the spy game always works outside of legality:

Austin Clay is the right hand of the USA government, he executes missions that no other operative has the ability or skills to pull it off. The only person who knows who Austin Clay is is his handler,and he is given the missions that his government can deny involvement with. When Clay is sent to track down a missing American agent who appears to be captured just outsid...more
Abhinav
You can read the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the latest spy thriller from acclaimed author Derek Haas.

“Quite often brilliant, The Right Hand is one of my favourite reads of recent months. I’d love a sequel to this!“ ~The Founding Fields

I have a confession to make: I fear that I am now firmly set on the path to reading intelligence & espionage action-thrillers month-in, month-out. Where I went years without reading any boo...more
Michael
I noticed this book on a list of best thrillers of the year and decided to read it. I'm glad I did.

Austin Clay is a CIA operative whose actions are so clandestine that only he and his handler know the cases he works on.

Clay is told that another CIA agent, Blake Nelson, is missing in Russia. Clay is ordered to find him, and either rescue him or eliminate him so the Russians can't get the information he has.

While researching the case, Clay learns that there was a young Hungarian woman working as a...more
shad Owens
Great book

Great book

I loved it,very good read.it kept me up reading several nights.I you like spy books and thrillers give this one a try
Dawn
We all like a good spy book. This one has all of the right characters, fast paced once it gets going. Don't give up on it early in the book - it moves early but nothing is happening and lots of description. not too far into it the characters and story start to gel so you get lost in the fast paced action.

Austin Clay is our spy who handles it all. He grew on me as the book went along, now looking forward to the next adventure for Clay. Will look for him in future books. Also, will read other book...more
Donna Church
The title alludes to the fact that the left hand can't know what the right hand is doing. For Austin Clay, CIA, this means coloring outside the lines. When a spy goes missing, Clay is called in to recover him but finds himself on a more complicated mission to save a young woman and expose a double agent within the organization. As you wends his way across Eastern Europe, the action grows increasingly intense and the trail of bodies mounts to a final show down conclusion that exposes multiple lev...more
Joyce Ferrante
I won "The Right Hand", by Derek Haas, free from Goodreads First Reads and loved every page I read! I enjoy action packed books that keep me reading to find out what will happen next and this book definitely does that. Austin Clay is "the right hand". His superiors (the left hand) sometimes prefer not to know exactly how he will complete his given mission. No matter what he encounters he somehow accomplishes what he sets out to do - with edge of the seat excitement. I plan to read Haas' other bo...more
Dawn
I hope more books are to come.
Cody Endres
I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of The Right Hand several months ago. Myself not being very interested in CIA related thrillers, I wrote this off as a "Bourne" ripoff based on the cover. Boy, was I wrong! Austin Clay is an awesome character that I hope to see more from. Haas doesn't go on and on like other writers in the genre about unimportant geographical details and such. It was an enjoyable, brisk read that I finished in 2 or 3 long sessions. Check it out!
Jo
Austin Clay is a spook for the CIA. His mission is to find a missing agent in Russia but it becomes complicated with the discovery of a beautiful Hungarian nanny caught up in a political storm that could get her killed. Great read, exhilarating adventure and pretty obvious that Haas writes for the film industry. Turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.
Pamela
Wow!! A page-turning adrenalin rush. Austin Clay, aka "The Right Hand," is akin to the merging of Jack Reacher - James Bond - Juan Carrillo. This black ops spy novel races you through Russia, Poland, and Los Angeles, via Langley - reading like a box office smash hit. A fast and furious good read.
Greg
Boring, cliche, disconnected, etc. I found myself skipping large chunks of the novel and picking up later on without missing much beyond the uninspired dialogue. The author never got me to care at all about the characters, who all seemed two-dimensional and unreal.
Paul
It was a very entertaining read. I look forward to more in this series.

Note about the rating: I prefer a 10 point system for better differentiation. So, for me, 1 star is either a 1 or 2, 2 stars a 3 or 4, and so forth. This book is a solid 5 for me.
Joe O'c
Excellent; potential start of a new series as a special stand alone agent of the CIA is tasked with rescuing a captured agent in Russia and find out what a young woman knows of a plot against the US
Jeri Gabrielson
Top notch spy thriller filled with all the twists and turns you could want. Protagonist: Do you fear him, want to cheer him on, or stop his murderous ways? I'm not sure I've come to a final decision yet.
Bob
Not bad, but the sauce needs to simmer more. Character development seems to take place in the last third of the book. Nice tone throughout, but a bit skimpy in the meat.
Jim Graham
A good read. Not as good as his first three. I did get lost with the number of characters. But I will buy his next book. He's an amazing word smith.
Ron
Apr 22, 2013 Ron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: action, spy
A quick moving tale of extractions gone wrong, betrayal, double crosses, and redemption in the world of the CIA.
Shawn
I got really tired of reading "the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing" over and over again. We get it!
Lulu
Sep 01, 2012 Lulu marked it as to-read
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Derek Haas co-wrote the screenplay 3:10 to Yuma, starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. He also co-wrote the film Wanted, starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie. Derek lives in Los Angeles.

More about Derek Haas...
The Silver Bear (Silver Bear, #1) Columbus (Silver Bear, #2) Dark Men (Silver Bear, #3) The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear / Columbus / Dark Men (Silver Bear, #1-3) Bluthund (Columbus #2)