Start by marking “Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Trained pastry chef, blogger, and mother of two Aran Goyoaga turned to gluten-free cooking when she and her children were diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Combining the flavors of her childhood in Bilbao, Spain, with unique artistry and the informal elegance of small-plate dining, Aran has sacrificed nothing.

Dishes range from soups and salads to savory tarts and stews to
Published October 23rd 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Small Plates and Sweet Treats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Plates and Sweet Treats

Darren
What to do when you are a trained pastry chef and you and your children are diagnosed with gluten intolerance? Give up those foods that you love? No, try making your own gluten-free equivalents and more besides. And that is exactly what this author has done, with a range of small dishes from soups and salads to impressive-looking deserts, maybe enhanced with a taste of Spain for good measure.

Let us be honest. Gluten-free cooking and many other something-free styles of cooking tend to have a bit
Christopher Provan
I was very happy to win this book. What I thought I would receive is a gluten free cook book full of recipes that normally would contain gluten but in this version do not. In other words recipes that if you eat real fast taste sort of like their gluten laden cousins. I would have been happy with this. What I received was this amazingly beautiful cookbook filled with mouth watering recipes written by a very accomplished chef. Last night was grapefruit risotto with shrimp (unbelievably good)tomorr ...more
Carolyn
Just received today and have already started poking around! Very nice photos of finished dishes, crisp and clean. So far, looks like recipes are pretty much one page...always a joy for novice cooks! Haven't checked accessibility of ingredients, but will include in follow-up. Thank you for such a lovely book!

Update: Still think it's a lovely book, but not sure it would be of use to me on a daily or even monthly basis. I appreciated the "key" in the beginning that explained the ingredients and how
Hooskadooo
I received this gorgeous book as part of the first reads give away. I was blown away by the great photographs and the fact that there are photos of every recipe. Not sure why some cookbooks offer recipes with little to no pictures. I was also happy to see that there was a good mix of familiar type recipes along with those that are completely unexpected yet appealing.

I look forward to trying many of the recipes in this book and increasing my knowledge of working items that are not the basic whit
Tima
Becoming gluten-free can be scary and intimidating. Small Plates begins with a story and beautiful pictures that tell the story of the author and how she came to write the cookbook.

By dividing up the book into seasons Goyoaga uses fresh foods that are in season to create healthy, filling meals that just happen to be gluten-free as well. When it comes to food, I'm told that presentation is half of it, and the pictures create a gorgeous presentation. The book is well laid out with a recipe on one
Michelle
I had the honor of winning this in a First Reads giveaway. This book is a delightful gem! You can tell that the author put such thought into every single aspect of the book- and it shows! The cover art is beautiful, as well as the book itself. Even if you never touch it again (which you will, since the recipes are great!), it looks beautiful on your coffee table or in your kitchen. The recipes are delicious, healthy, and elegant. Overall, I've tried 2 of her recipes so far and they've been great ...more
Meg
The pictures are wonderful and many of the recipes sound good.
However, there was a lot of recipes that called for supplies and ingredients that I don't feel will be everyday items for most people. Various types of flour and starches were called for. I'm not sure how realistic it would be for the majority of people to enjoy this book. If you are a huge chef/baker than I'm sure it would be good.

Received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
bookczuk
When I grow up, I want to cook like Aran Goyoaga.

This book will definitely be a help in revamping to a gluten-free life. The pictures are yummy, the recipes beautiful, approachable, and reasonable. Love that it's divided seasonally. Win.
AnandaTashie
Oct 21, 2013 AnandaTashie added it
Shelves: 2013, non-fic
Red kuri squash & spinach tortilla; chocolate, beet & almond butter molten cakes; chesnut crepes with creamy mushrooms; meyer lemon, almond & yogurt custard pots; chocolate, hazelnut & buckwheat cake; chocolate, banana & hazelnut cream toasties.
Beth
This book is by a blogger I love and I picked it out mostly because of the beautiful styling and photos, but the recipes are great too.
Khinna
I can't express how much I live cooking from this!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Marielle
Marielle marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Ilka Schalkwyk
Ilka Schalkwyk marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Asa-marie Webster
Asa-marie Webster marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Christine E.
Christine E. marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Issa
Issa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kate Doran
Kate Doran marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Laretta
Laretta marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Teresa da Cunha Pinto
Teresa da Cunha Pinto marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Suzanne Bonet
Suzanne Bonet is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2014
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Getting Really Healthy
  • Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home