Start by marking “Houses of the Presidents: Childhood Homes, Family Dwellings, Private Escapes, and Grand Estates” as Want to Read:

HOUSES OF THE PRESIDENTS offers a unique tour of the houses and day-to-day lives of America's presidents, from George Washington's time to the present. Author Hugh Howard weaves together personal, presidential, and architectural histories to shed light on the way our chief executives lived. Original photography by Roger Straus III brings the houses and furnishings beautifu ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published November 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Houses of the Presidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houses of the Presidents

Miriam
Jun 25, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The photography is beautiful, but I particularly liked the sidebar articles that deal with typical life during Colonial times and the people mentioned in the book. It made me want to visit all of the houses, and I felt like I knew more not only about the houses, but about the people who lived in them. Really heavy, but fun to look at.
Anna Mcallister
Dec 16, 2007 Anna Mcallister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like early American architecture, and this book has lots of good full page pictures and information about the houses and the people who built them. Pretty straight forward, not crazy exciting or anything, but a pretty cool coffee table book.
Nancy  Price
May 30, 2016 Nancy Price rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
While at first glance this book might appear to be a coffee table book for display only, the text is also quite informative and interesting. Twenty-two Presidential homes are featured (homes for 24 Presidents), from birthplaces to family residences. The photos are amazing, and the author has included biographical information on the Presidents themselves as well as verbal portraits of many family members and capsule histories of major accomplishments of their times in office. The last chapter of ...more
Read Ng
Oct 12, 2012 Read Ng rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, first-reads
This was a GoodReads Giveaway. It made my eyes drool just looking at the cover.

An excellent coffee table book. The glimpses of these homes will make you want to visit each home to see for yourself. I have been to Mount Vernon and have to admit that the small selection of photos can hardly convey the historic feel of the real thing. The narratives are short, just as expected for a book of this nature. Some homes are just majestic, while others are so simple and humble. The photos are just stunnin
Catherine
Mar 07, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This book has two sections of chronological chapters about houses lived in by U.S. Presidents – in some cases their childhood home; in others, presidential retreats or post-presidency residences. The first section has lengthy spreads and photos covering 22 houses (24 presidents: the Adamses and Bushes have to share). The second section devotes one page to other presidents. A more accurate title would be “Houses of Most of the Presidents,” because unfortunately not all are included, although the ...more
Brisbride13
Jan 04, 2014 Brisbride13 rated it liked it
I don't want to say I was disappointed but for lack of a better word, I'll use it. This is what I call a coffee table book; a quick, flip-thru kind of thing that could be a conversation piece. The content of this book was too wordy instead of filled with mostly pictures. When I ordered it from the library, that's what I thought I was getting. I was wanting something that gave short stories about their childhood home; such as sliding down the bannister or building a tree house. This book was too ...more
Marisa
Jan 03, 2013 Marisa rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and I can honestly say that it is the only coffee table book that I have ever read from cover to cover. I have a lifelong love affair with beautiful coffee table books, and this certainly fits that bill, but it is also so much more than that- it is a great introduction to the personal stories of about half of our presidents and a fascinating survey of US history. I've always been interested in history and love historical fiction, but this book really ins ...more
Heather
Oct 09, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I won this book here on Goodreads. When it arrived, I was shocked. It is a giant coffee-table book. But unlike most coffee-table books, I'm finding that other people than me are picking it up and reading it. They are finding it facinating and asking questions. It is beautiful and nicely written. If you are looking for this type of book, I would definatly recommend this one.
Lori
Beautiful photography of beautiful homes. Well researched, written and documented history of America's founding fathers and their homes...even the lesser-known. Includes visitor information for each, glossary of terms, bibliography and more.
Susan Vasquez
Oct 31, 2012 Susan Vasquez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-books
I received this coffee-table book through a goodreads giveaway. It is a wonderfully well-written account of our presidents through a look at their personal homes. The text is accompanied by spectacular photographs with well-thought-out captions. Why can't all history books be this beautiful?
Marguerite
Sep 10, 2012 Marguerite rated it it was amazing
I won this book via Goodreads. It is a beautiful book. The photos are fantastic and I wish I could visit every house. Appreciate the opportunity to receive this. It is great coffee table book and great conversation starter.
Carrie
Feb 08, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great history about these families and the country! Some great pictures of the places they called home!
Sherri
Mar 30, 2009 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coffee-table
Beautiful coffee table book like the other posts say. Plus short history of the persons/people on the bio of the house.
Jen
Oct 07, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Great photos and light background. Our family has visited some and it made us add a few more to our "to see" list.
George
Aug 10, 2011 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous photographs, and interesting information about the Founding Fathers (and in some cases, the women in their lives), including some of the lesser known.
Jim Blessing
Nov 17, 2013 Jim Blessing rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This book contained pictures and descriptions of Presidential homes, all that I have seen except Reagan's ranch. The book was informative and the pictures were excellent.
Ms. A.
Jan 01, 2013 Ms. A. rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary and beautiful book. The pictures are gorgeous and the trivia is fun. Highly recommend.
Janet
Oct 01, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
What a wonderful idea - a glimpse into the upbringing of our Presidents in the homes they grew up in. Curiosity is always a fun way to read! Hope I win a copy to cure my curiosity!
Lynda
Sep 30, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a great deal. The biographical and historical information fascinated me. The highlight was the wonderful photography.
Graham
Aug 12, 2014 Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: presidents
Great coffee table book. Wonderful pictorial and history of presidential homes. Hope to visit those I haven't already.
Robin
Oct 09, 2012 Robin marked it as to-read-do-not-have
I've entered a Goodread giveaway for this one and if I'm not lucky enough to win I am definitely buying it.
Charles M.
Jan 16, 2015 Charles M. rated it liked it
Beautifully pictured book on the presidential homes, including birthplaces or adult residences, etc. With information on visitation hours and dates, etc.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely picture book romp through the homes of the Founding Fathers. Recommended for those interested in the history of domestic architecture.
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Nan
Nan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Erick
Erick rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2008
Chris Carson
Chris Carson rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor
  • Capturing Camelot: Stanley Tretick's Iconic Images of the Kennedys
  • Elements of Style Revised Edition: A Practical Encyclopedia of Interior Architectural Details from 1485 to the Pres
  • American Heroes: Profiles of Men and Women Who Shaped Early America
  • Robert Morris: Financier of the American Revolution
  • Founding Rivals: Madison vs. Monroe, The Bill of Rights, and The Election that Saved a Nation
  • FDR's Funeral Train: A Betrayed Widow, a Soviet Spy, and a Presidency in the Balance
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
  • America's Great Debate: Henry Clay, Stephen A. Douglas, and the Compromise That Preserved the Union
  • Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
  • The Battle for America 2008: The Story of an Extraordinary Election
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • Almost President: The Men Who Lost the Race but Changed the Nation
  • The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past
  • Where Valor Rests: Arlington National Cemetery
  • The Winter Soldiers: The Battles for Trenton and Princeton
  • An Invitation To The White House : At Home With History
  • Gentleman Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution