Start by marking “Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  39 reviews
When our children are born, we do everything we can to make sure they have love, food, clothing, and shelter. We read to them, play with them, and comfort them when they cry. But despite all this, one in five children today suffers from a diagnosed anxiety disorder, and countless others suffer from anxiety that interferes with critical social, academic, and physical develo...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Brave

John
This is the book that every parent wishes their child came with at birth. It is an outstanding, well-written guide that is based on state-of-the-art research (not just on opinion). The book teaches parents practical, easy to implement skills for helping children learn healthy ways to manage anxiety and stress. I highly recommend it!! It is an essential guide for anxiety prevention and treatment that belongs on every parent’s’ bookshelf.
Tova
I'm in the middle of the introduction and I am already recommending this book to other people. A 5-star first impression!

**After finishing the book, I can honestly say that this book is a must-read for all parents and teachers. I envy the children who will grow up understanding that anxiety is just as valid is anger and shame, happiness and pride.
Lesley
An good, easy to read book for parents to help children who sometimes have anxious times and how to support them the correct way.
Bernadette
In Part I, Growing Up Brave provides readers with a deeper understanding of anxiety disorders and its manifestations, helping caregivers to decide whether or not a child's behavior should be of concern. In Part II, parents are given practical suggestions on how to enhance their daily interactions to help their young children feel less anxious and more brave, focusing particularly on special playtime and bedtime routines. Most of the suggestions are focused on younger children, but the author doe...more
Kimberly Hughes
This is a very thorough book written for parents on how to help their children conquer their anxiety. It has very specific instructions on how to use Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), which is a skill-based, hands-on, and evidence based approach.

The first three chapters are an overview on understanding childhood anxiety. It gives an idea of what are normal fears at various ages and what are not. It also briefly covers how parental interaction can influence a child's anxiety. Reading through this...more
Elizabeth Mundie
I received a Goodreads Giveaway copy of Growing up Brave vy Donna Pincus. As I have several projects going on at the moment, I skimmed many parts of it but haven't finished it. I intend to go back and read it more thoroughly. I have a new granddaughter on the way, and I have a feeling I will refer to this. Also, I have found some things in it that have been helpful to me, as an adult, and also helpful when I've shared items from it with other adults.

What I have understood so far leads me to bel...more
Lici
Ok, like all books about parenting there is some guilt inducing material in this book. But she does go out of her way to reassure parents. I checked this book out from the library and will probably purchase it because I found it useful.

What I like best about this book is she has a lot of things you can DO. I'd say starting on chapter four are the proactive steps you can take to help your child cope with their anxieties. I appreciate the formulation of words for discussing feelings and reactions...more
Emily
I highly recommend parents read this book. It talks about normal fears and abnormal fears in kids, toddler aged to high school. Dr Pincus discusses why some kids are more anxious, what in their environment might augment that anxiety and discusses how a parent can intervene to prevent a normal fear from snowballing into anxiety.

While the book examples and exercises focus on kids across the board, it does have a special chapter on teens and how dealing with teen anxiety is different than child an...more
Kristin
This really helped to explain childhood anxiety, and anxiety in general really well. The strategies at the end seem like good ideas. They will require some more mulling over and time to implement them. However, I came away immediately with some ways to restructure the way I talk to my kids so as not to increase feelings of anxiety.
Leah
This is a really great book for any later or teacher. Even if your child doesn't suffer from the extreme anxiety detailed by some of the cases in the book all kids have some anxiety in life. The coaching techniques are easy to follow and can be used with kids of all ages.
Julie
I think this is a very good book for parents to have. Especially in this day and age where depression and anxiety tend to be the norm, and is effecting children earlier and earlier.
Donna B.Pincus, PhD had packed this book full of examples, senerios, and good techniques for reconizing dealing with depression and anxiety in children of all ages, and thier parents too for that matter.
I will be keeping this book very handy. The important information and tools that this books provides is not a jus...more
Michelle
Good book but I prefer "Helping your anxious child" by Rapee.
Leslie
Great advice and ideas for helping my son cope with anxiety.
Helen
Dr Pincus gives easy to read and follow descriptions for "Growing Up Brave". The information is relevant and practical. I was blown away by the idea that the parents' behaviors are so important. Parents always want to help children fix their behaviors when much of the "issues" belong to the parents who unwittingly reinforce the problems instead of the solutions. I would definitely recommend this book to all parents to not only "fix" problems but to prevent them as well. Thank you Dr.Pincus! I ho...more
April
This is a great source of information for parents that have children with anxiety. It is a fast read and easy to understand. There are several helpful ideas that you can easily incorporate into your daily routines in addition to inspiring real-life stories about kids overcoming different types of anxiety. I've personally tried the 'Five Minutes a Day Time' and the tips about implementing a routine bedtime and found them extremely helpful. Not only did they work but I also learned a lot about how...more
Angela Wade
Concrete ideas that made a difference.
Erin Ching
I only skimmed this book because it turned out that it was not helpful for my particular situation (i was looking for help with a young toddler, and this book is more for kids ages 3-18). But it looked like it would be very helpful for verbal kids. It's written in an accessible style, has very practical suggestions, is not judgmental, and deals with a wide variety of situations. I will definitely keep this book in mind for future reference.
Don O'goodreader
If you have a child suffering from excessive anxiety, Growing Up Brave by Donna B Pincus is the book for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a more general overview of the childhood anxiety, perhaps you are a teacher or counselor, this book misses the mark. Highly recommended for parents of children with anxieties, but few others.

See more at: http://1book42day.blogspot.com/2012/1...
Emily
A good read for parents/families with kids who need help overcoming fear and anxiety. I was hoping to learn strategies for helping kids with the everyday stresses they face. They are so busy! But this book was geared towards children whose fear/anxieties are almost all-emcompassing. It has strategies for supporting the parent-child relationship to make a positive shift and help the child in their thinking and coping.
This book had a lot of good information and easy-to-follow tools you could use to help with your kid's anxiety right away. I learned some tips for myself as well! It's also easy to skip over certain sections that don't apply to you. I recommend it if you are unsure or concerned that your child's anxiety is "normal" or something to be concerned about. The author breaks it down in a way that is very easy to understand!
Jenny
I found this to be a very helpful book. I suffered mild anxiety as a child/teen and developed my own strategies to deal with it. It was interesting to see that many of the strategies she introduced in her book are similar to the things I did (and still do) to calm myself.

Although it focuses on children and teens, you could apply the principles to adulthood as well.
Christina
Dr. Pincus has great strategies for parents to help children overcome and understand their feelings of anxiety and stress. I like that she prioritizes the health of the children and the health of the family. I'm also glad that she suggests cognitive behavior changes and the close attention of parents before medication or even therapy.
Jenny
I wasn't quite the right audience for this book. I wanted to read a book that would help me prevent my children from becoming anxious; this book gives you hints on what to do once your kids are ALREADY anxious. There were a few nuggets I could glean, but this is more of a reactive than proactive book.
Melinda
I'm the anxious parent of an anxious child, so I temporarily waived my "Parenting Books Only Feed The OCD" rule for this book, and it was worth it. Good case-based advice and practical strategies that seemed feasible to implement, plus it was relatively non-cloying, which I appreciate.
Hessie
I think this would be a great book for kids with severe anxiety disorders. My kids have some minor anxiety issues but they don't seem to approach the problems addressed in this book. Still, great ideas for any parent to follow to help establish a healthy relationship.
Jane H
a really good read with helpful balance between theory and practical information. My children didn't fit as neatly into the profiles presented so the book was not as directly applicable as I had hoped, but for a child with a specific anxiey I would highly recommend this.
Michelle
Pincus provides specific examples along with specific strategies for children. She has a straight-forward approach with a lot of encouragement for parents. Simply lots of great advice! Thanks to Goodreads for my free copy.
Andrea
This was written in a clear, easy to understand format. Contains many good ideas for kids from preschool trough teenager. It caused me to look at some of my actions and reactions in a different way.
Kari Ludeman
I used several techniques in this book to help my 4 year old overcome a public restroom phobia. This book will stay on my bookshelf as I am sure anxiety will creep its way back into our lives in the future!
Susan
Well-written with lots of case studies. Geared more toward parent of younger kids. I would have like to have a little more coverage of the adolescent anxieties.
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn--and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less
  • Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected
  • Travel Unscripted
  • The Trouble with Boys: A Surprising Report Card on Our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do
  • Teach Your Children Well
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • The Guardian of All Things: The Epic Story of Human Memory
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • The Idle Parent: Why Laid-Back Parents Raise Happier and Healthier Kids
  • Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Make--Or Break--Your Child's Future
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
Mastery of Anxiety and Panic for Adolescents Riding the Wave, Therapist Guide (Programs That Work) Riding the Wave Workbook