Start by marking “Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety” as Want to Read:

When our children are born, we do everything we can to make sure they have love, food, clothing, and shelter. We read to them, play with them, and comfort them when they cry. But despite all this, one in five children today suffers from a diagnosed anxiety disorder, and countless others suffer from anxiety that interferes with critical social, academic, and physical develo ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Brave

Feb 18, 2015 Wright rated it really liked it

Much of the book referenced cases of anxiety more severe and in younger children than my 11 year old. Still though - a lot of helpful general info and techniques to improve feelings and behaviors. A list in the book summarized a lot of what I found helpful:

"The Dos and Don'ts of Helping Your Child Get Brave

A few general reminders:

• DON’T give extra positive attention to your child when she's complaining or distressed about separating from you. It's okay to be caring and reflect her fe
Aug 02, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that every parent wishes their child came with at birth. It is an outstanding, well-written guide that is based on state-of-the-art research (not just on opinion). The book teaches parents practical, easy to implement skills for helping children learn healthy ways to manage anxiety and stress. I highly recommend it!! It is an essential guide for anxiety prevention and treatment that belongs on every parent’s’ bookshelf.
Sep 05, 2014 Coffeebelle rated it it was amazing
I'm in the middle of the introduction and I am already recommending this book to other people. A 5-star first impression!

**After finishing the book, I can honestly say that this book is a must-read for all parents and teachers. I envy the children who will grow up understanding that anxiety is just as valid is anger and shame, happiness and pride.
Jul 07, 2013 Lesley rated it really liked it
An good, easy to read book for parents to help children who sometimes have anxious times and how to support them the correct way.
Jennifer Heise
The child who gets a stomach-ache every day before school. The child who collapses in fear of a butterfly. The child who has trouble attending social events because they are nervous about interacting with others. The teen who can't go anywhere without a friend or parental lifeline; or the one that refuses to go anywhere at all (or when they do, indulges in illict substances to relieve their anxiety). These and other children and teens with anxiety issues weigh heavy on their parents' and caregiv ...more
Kimberly Hughes
Sep 15, 2013 Kimberly Hughes rated it it was amazing
This is a very thorough book written for parents on how to help their children conquer their anxiety. It has very specific instructions on how to use Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), which is a skill-based, hands-on, and evidence based approach.

The first three chapters are an overview on understanding childhood anxiety. It gives an idea of what are normal fears at various ages and what are not. It also briefly covers how parental interaction can influence a child's anxiety. Reading through this
Aug 03, 2013 Bernadette rated it really liked it
In Part I, Growing Up Brave provides readers with a deeper understanding of anxiety disorders and its manifestations, helping caregivers to decide whether or not a child's behavior should be of concern. In Part II, parents are given practical suggestions on how to enhance their daily interactions to help their young children feel less anxious and more brave, focusing particularly on special playtime and bedtime routines. Most of the suggestions are focused on younger children, but the author doe ...more
Elizabeth Mundie
Sep 14, 2012 Elizabeth Mundie rated it really liked it
I received a Goodreads Giveaway copy of Growing up Brave vy Donna Pincus. As I have several projects going on at the moment, I skimmed many parts of it but haven't finished it. I intend to go back and read it more thoroughly. I have a new granddaughter on the way, and I have a feeling I will refer to this. Also, I have found some things in it that have been helpful to me, as an adult, and also helpful when I've shared items from it with other adults.

What I have understood so far leads me to bel
Dec 27, 2012 Lici rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ok, like all books about parenting there is some guilt inducing material in this book. But she does go out of her way to reassure parents. I checked this book out from the library and will probably purchase it because I found it useful.

What I like best about this book is she has a lot of things you can DO. I'd say starting on chapter four are the proactive steps you can take to help your child cope with their anxieties. I appreciate the formulation of words for discussing feelings and reactions
Kytka Hilmar-Jezek
Feb 13, 2015 Kytka Hilmar-Jezek rated it it was amazing
A must read, especially for new parents!

This is an excellent and comprehensive book for parents who may be a tad over-protective and for their children who may suffer from anxiety or shyness as a result. The author has done a wonderful job of explaining parenting in a way which makes parents feel confident and secure in their choices and in allowing their children to make mistakes, take some falls and grow in the world by exploring and walking with a sense of wonder. New parents sometimes need s
Feb 04, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend parents read this book. It talks about normal fears and abnormal fears in kids, toddler aged to high school. Dr Pincus discusses why some kids are more anxious, what in their environment might augment that anxiety and discusses how a parent can intervene to prevent a normal fear from snowballing into anxiety.

While the book examples and exercises focus on kids across the board, it does have a special chapter on teens and how dealing with teen anxiety is different than child an
Jul 02, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I think this is a very good book for parents to have. Especially in this day and age where depression and anxiety tend to be the norm, and is effecting children earlier and earlier.
Donna B.Pincus, PhD had packed this book full of examples, senerios, and good techniques for reconizing dealing with depression and anxiety in children of all ages, and thier parents too for that matter.
I will be keeping this book very handy. The important information and tools that this books provides is not a jus
Mar 16, 2016 Maryann rated it it was amazing
Never having children who had anxiety issues, this is such a valuable resource for dealing with a grandson who does.

Also excellent resource to use to see that so many other families seem to be dealing with this. My husband and I feel there very negative aspects of the co-sleeping trend. Sure young animals sleep with their parents, but let's face it they don't when they are 6, in fact they have probably had several off-springs of their own.

I read this very quickly partially because the subject wa
Jul 22, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Pincus gives easy to read and follow descriptions for "Growing Up Brave". The information is relevant and practical. I was blown away by the idea that the parents' behaviors are so important. Parents always want to help children fix their behaviors when much of the "issues" belong to the parents who unwittingly reinforce the problems instead of the solutions. I would definitely recommend this book to all parents to not only "fix" problems but to prevent them as well. Thank you Dr.Pincus! I ho ...more
Dec 26, 2012 April rated it really liked it
This is a great source of information for parents that have children with anxiety. It is a fast read and easy to understand. There are several helpful ideas that you can easily incorporate into your daily routines in addition to inspiring real-life stories about kids overcoming different types of anxiety. I've personally tried the 'Five Minutes a Day Time' and the tips about implementing a routine bedtime and found them extremely helpful. Not only did they work but I also learned a lot about how ...more
Jul 07, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
I appreciated the authors clear structure, definitions and explanations. I wish there had been more diversity in the examples of things kids are fearful of. I was disappointed there was zero discussion on nightmares, night terrors, or larger creative daydreaming. Two strategies are conflicting to one another so frustrating to know which to use. I did not like the rewards based strategies because I just think they end up being counter productive. A quick useful book but not sure I'd fully recomme ...more
Erin Ching
Apr 20, 2013 Erin Ching rated it really liked it
I only skimmed this book because it turned out that it was not helpful for my particular situation (i was looking for help with a young toddler, and this book is more for kids ages 3-18). But it looked like it would be very helpful for verbal kids. It's written in an accessible style, has very practical suggestions, is not judgmental, and deals with a wide variety of situations. I will definitely keep this book in mind for future reference.
Sep 18, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of good information and easy-to-follow tools you could use to help with your kid's anxiety right away. I learned some tips for myself as well! It's also easy to skip over certain sections that don't apply to you. I recommend it if you are unsure or concerned that your child's anxiety is "normal" or something to be concerned about. The author breaks it down in a way that is very easy to understand!
Don O'goodreader
Nov 28, 2012 Don O'goodreader rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
If you have a child suffering from excessive anxiety, Growing Up Brave by Donna B Pincus is the book for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a more general overview of the childhood anxiety, perhaps you are a teacher or counselor, this book misses the mark. Highly recommended for parents of children with anxieties, but few others.

See more at:
Nov 25, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
A good read for parents/families with kids who need help overcoming fear and anxiety. I was hoping to learn strategies for helping kids with the everyday stresses they face. They are so busy! But this book was geared towards children whose fear/anxieties are almost all-emcompassing. It has strategies for supporting the parent-child relationship to make a positive shift and help the child in their thinking and coping.
Sep 28, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
This really helped to explain childhood anxiety, and anxiety in general really well. The strategies at the end seem like good ideas. They will require some more mulling over and time to implement them. However, I came away immediately with some ways to restructure the way I talk to my kids so as not to increase feelings of anxiety.
Feb 26, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Straightforward and easy-to-read approach on how to address your child's anxiety and fears. I appreciated that this book spelled out specific activities you can do to help your child manage his/her worrisome thoughts and/or panic symptoms as well as overall improve the parent-child relationship. Very good resource.
Jul 06, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I think there are a lot of good strategies in this book that I want to try out with my 6 year old daughter who is prone to some anxiety and behavior problems that have been exacerbated with moving and crazy home conditions for the past six months. Though the effectiveness is TBD, the strategies are research based and this book is a fast read so I would recommend it to anyone.
Mar 17, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I found this to be a very helpful book. I suffered mild anxiety as a child/teen and developed my own strategies to deal with it. It was interesting to see that many of the strategies she introduced in her book are similar to the things I did (and still do) to calm myself.

Although it focuses on children and teens, you could apply the principles to adulthood as well.
I wasn't quite the right audience for this book. I wanted to read a book that would help me prevent my children from becoming anxious; this book gives you hints on what to do once your kids are ALREADY anxious. There were a few nuggets I could glean, but this is more of a reactive than proactive book.
Jan 30, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Dr. Pincus has great strategies for parents to help children overcome and understand their feelings of anxiety and stress. I like that she prioritizes the health of the children and the health of the family. I'm also glad that she suggests cognitive behavior changes and the close attention of parents before medication or even therapy.
Apr 13, 2013 Hessie rated it really liked it
I think this would be a great book for kids with severe anxiety disorders. My kids have some minor anxiety issues but they don't seem to approach the problems addressed in this book. Still, great ideas for any parent to follow to help establish a healthy relationship.
Sep 17, 2012 Melinda rated it really liked it
I'm the anxious parent of an anxious child, so I temporarily waived my "Parenting Books Only Feed The OCD" rule for this book, and it was worth it. Good case-based advice and practical strategies that seemed feasible to implement, plus it was relatively non-cloying, which I appreciate.
Kari Ludeman
Sep 04, 2012 Kari Ludeman rated it really liked it
I used several techniques in this book to help my 4 year old overcome a public restroom phobia. This book will stay on my bookshelf as I am sure anxiety will creep its way back into our lives in the future!
Jul 09, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it
This was written in a clear, easy to understand format. Contains many good ideas for kids from preschool trough teenager. It caused me to look at some of my actions and reactions in a different way.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Travel Unscripted
  • The Art of Roughhousing
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Circles Around The Sun: In Search Of A Lost Brother
  • The Guardian of All Things: The Epic Story of Human Memory
  • Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn--and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • The Big, Fun, Sexy Sex Book
  • Kill the Company: End the Status Quo, Start an Innovation Revolution
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • The Memory of All That: George Gershwin, Kay Swift, and My Family's Legacy of Infidelities
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent