Start by marking “All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep” as Want to Read:
All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep

All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep

My little one, lay down your head.It's time to doze, it's time for bed.You tell me, "I'm not sleepy now.""Just try," I say. You ask me, "How?"
In this lyrical animal ABC book, a mother tries to tuck her child in for the night by telling him about all the awake animals that are getting sleepy. From antlered Antelope to zzz-ing Zebra, this alphabet of animals becomes an exqu
Published October 2nd 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep

Candice
May 06, 2016 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Just about any child
This is such a great book on many levels. A terrific bedtime story. A wonderful alphabet book. The title holds the promise of more skillful alliteration by Crescent Dragonwagon and it delivers. "Fox, fading fast, finds rest in the forest while frog just floats, letting her feet flop until they find firm footing near the ferns." "As the light laps the leaves, Lion lies down, lounging with Lioness and the little ones." Add this to my list of beloved books that will stretch a young child's ...more
Jason Stalides
An excellent bed time lullaby about animals, the alphabet, and going to sleep. Fantastic art. But the text was masterful. There was an rhythm to the rhymes that make them fun to read and also challenged and helped expand my boys' vocabulary. It's always a win when a book prompts them to ask questions.
Karen
Aug 02, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I love this book! Not only is it designed to help wind a child down, it is also an alphabet book full of fun alliterations, and informative science matching the animals to their homes/habitats. Teachers will appreciate the educational aspect, parents can appreciate the gentle soothing tone and message of the book, and kids will enjoy the pictures of the animals, as well as the sound of the alliterations / "tongue twisters"
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
After a busy day, children need a quiet book before bedtime. Just say the title of this book and you'll know right away that this is a perfect choice. It's a lovely combination of an alphabet book and an animal book and a book of alliteration and a good night book. The amazing alliterative text by Crescent Dragonwagon will whisper you to sleep while the gentle illustrations by the amazing David McPhail will lull you to dreamland.
Melissa
Is this the greatest title, or what? And Crescent Dragonwagon always knows her way around a little verse, and David McPhail has a gift for providing lots of true-to-life detail without being overwhelming...love the lion draped bonelessly over the windowsill on the last page.

My one quibble, and it's totally coming from my experience as a mom of a terrible sleeper: the boy asks HOW to fall asleep, and the whole book is like, "You just DO sweetie, like all these sleepy animals!" Yeah. Right.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
In this calming book a mother tucks her child in and tells about animals from A to Z and how they go to sleep in hopes of calming the child into slumber. The illustrations are beautiful. The text is calming. The alliteration is a nice touch. For example, "Hedgehog is hibernating, hiding in her hole." I wouldn't be surprised if this book did indeed calm a child down before going to sleep. Nicely done.
Kathy Davie
Nov 22, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
A bedtime picture book story that is introduced by antonyms and slides into rhythm.

My Take
McPhail's watercolor illustrations are warmly detailed and fill each page, as Mom lulls her son to sleep with unique tales of different animals — many of them mother and child — in this lyrical animal ABC book.

It's sweet as Dragonwagon includes a brief mention of each animal's habitat and appearance in a soothing sleepytime rhythm of alliteration, a useful literary device parents can play with as they read
Joanna
Apr 14, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, abc
You guys. I had some serious misgivings when I started reading this book to Cameron at bedtime tonight. To start, he wasn't sure he wanted to be in bed (and in fact was quite sure, really, that he did not) but was at that too-tired state that just does not often end well. I liked the title, but stumbled a bit. "All the Awake Animals are Almost Asleep" Sweet, but kooky, right? And then the opener! No, no. "My little one, lay down your head. It's time to doze, it's time for bed." Blech! Sing-song, ...more
Irene
Oct 16, 2012 Irene rated it really liked it
Summary: In "All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep," author Crescent Dragonwagon introduces readers to a mother who puts her son to bed with an animal alphabet. This version of the alphabet is packed with alliteration like "Each evening, elephant eases her elegant ears and edges into sleep," and is drawn in exquisite watercolor due to the work of the talented illustrator David McPhail. The pictures of the beautiful animals creates a comfortable feeling that will soothe any child for bedtime, ...more
Johara Almogbel
Sep 14, 2016 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it
Haven't tried this on any kids yet, but I like it. The words are calming and the illustrations are pretty. Also, alliteration abound and I do love alliterative sentences.
Margaret Chind
This is an amazing bedtime book and one that I would eagerly recommend on anyone's gift list for new babies, older toddler, preschoolers and beyond working on animals and their alphabet. I love the title, and getting my preschooler to pick out all the letter A's is a ton of fun and that is only the beginning. The text through out is lyrical and keeps a good rhythm and rhyme that is pleasant to read and would not be bothersome to read again night after night. The images are full of variety and ...more
Lyn
A sleepy little one is lured to sleep while his mother explains how all the animals have a time to wake and time to sleep.

“Every creature, tame and wild,
Has night and day, has still and leap,
Has wide awake and sound asleep.”

The animals and their sleeping habits are introduced alphabetically. The illustrations by David McPhail are clear and beautiful. His animals are easy to recognize at a time when many children’s books are so artistic that the accompanying
pictures are hard to understand.

Cre
Jared White
Apr 26, 2016 Jared White rated it did not like it
Yeah, I actually placed a children's book on my "abandoned" shelf, to me it was just that bad. I recently read and reviewed another alphabet book which I really loved, Alphabet Soup: A Feast of Letters by Scott Gustafson. It was silly but their using so many words which started with each letter was done wonderfully and each picture integrated those words.

In All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep trying to integrate all of those words for each letter is just done clumsily. Also, I had mixed fee
Sarah Wilbern
Sep 19, 2014 Sarah Wilbern rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Crescent Dragonwagon. (2012).All The Animals Are Almost Asleep. New York: Little, Brown and Company.
Librarian review.
Alphabet book.

This was a good book. It used all the letters of the alphabet, and used different animals for each letter. A=antelope, E=Elephant. It used all wild animals for the different letters. The pictures were really good. The pictures showed what was being written about. They were really friendly.
This book would be good for grades pre-k-3rd grade. It would help students le
Samantha
An alphabet book featuring animals A to Z at bedtime. Text is alliterative and watercolor and ink illustrations extend the sense of peace the text evokes. I was slightly disappointed by some of the letters appearing later in the alphabet (X, Y, and Z) because those are difficult letters that I always look to see how an author handles them. X didn’t stand for an animal and the Zebras didn’t get to enjoy the vocabulary that the other animals did in their alliterative text.

On the whole a good titl
Michelle
Jan 03, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Crescent Dragonwagon provides a lyrical bedtime story with unique and cozy animals. David McPhail's illustrations are soft and detailed as well. Kids will beg for this one to be read over and over. I love alphabet books that add extra details and this one does not disappoint. My one and only complaint would be that the elegant large letters that adorn each page are lovely but not how an elementary student sees those capital letters. Minor complaint though in an otherwise near perfect book.
Elisabeth
Oct 06, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
This is an excellent bedtime (or naptime) book if you give yourself enough time with it (you'll want to put in on the TOP of your book pile!) So much going on with the language (great vocab words, wonderful opportunities to talk about things like opposites and letter sounds) and the illustrations are so inviting you'll want to take your time enjoying each page. Not a book to rush through, but one to ease into and quiet down with.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler - Kindergarten
Animals: Various

Fabulous watercolors provide a list of animals Antelope to Zebra as a mother encourages her child to sleep like the animals as they drift off to sleep. The two excellent features of this book include: (1) the animals are painted anatomically and are very noticeable where the listener is not distracted by superfluous background details; and (2) the alliteration is not obnoxiously overused but enforces the sounds of each letter.
Kathy
Apr 16, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
An ABC book that was not painful to read! I loved it. It transitioned from bedtime story to ABC book and back seamlessly. The alliteration was fun to read and not forced. David McPhail outdid himself with the beautiful watercolor illustrations. This is a lovely book that families will want to share again and again.
Debbie Tanner
Oct 01, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it really liked it
This lovely picture book would be great for putting a child to bed. The pictures are so sweet but the language in it is great too. The pictures do a good job of showing what's going on so it would be a good one to help kids understand some of the bigger vocabulary words.
Shelli
Oct 30, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a sweet book to read before bed to your little ones. Also a very cute ABC book that uses several descriptive words of the same letter.

Example: The Baby Bison has Bedded down Beside her Brother By the Barn.
Jennifer Rasmussen
Feb 25, 2014 Jennifer Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Adorably, Annika recently went through a bedtime "delay of game" phase where she asked what various animals did at bedtime. Then we discovered this book. A to Z, all the various awake animals bed down their different ways. Still pondering if Crescent's name is a nom de plume.
Margie
Oct 23, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it
Perfect illustrations by David McPhail compliment lovely, lulling text by Crescent Dragonwagon sending readers on an alphabetical journey to slumber.

My full review:http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
Mary
This is a great book for animals and letter awareness. It goes through the alphabet with animals and their characteristics, using alliteration the whole way. The images are lovely—great for dialogic reading and read aloud!
Lizzie
Nov 29, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it
McPhail's watercolor artwork works well for this nighttime ABC book. Nice use of the letter within each verse. But the drawings of Mom and child look dated to me. I'm also not sure how familiar kids are with cursive anymore. Also, I gotta love good old Crescent Dragonwheel's name.
Savannah
Jul 21, 2013 Savannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
My four year old liked this one. Loved the beginning until it started going into the alphabet. I loved the font of the letters. I'm bored of ABC books with all the words the same as the letter it's depicting. However, great alphabet book.
Dolores
Jan 02, 2013 Dolores rated it really liked it
Great read aloud for bedtime or storytime. The pictures are adorable and the rhythm of the book is sweet and soothing. And I like the fact that it's an alphabet book too. It reminded me a bit of the million times I read "Animalia" to my son.
Rachel Watkins
Sep 14, 2012 Rachel Watkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This is a perfect animal alphabet bedtime book for a child that is never sleepy. Talks about opposites in an intelligent manner. Uses vibrant descriptive words and unusual animals: I = Ibex, Q = Quetzal, U = Urubu.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great alphabet book as it uses a lot of words with the letter they are highlighting all at the same time, some parts don't flow as well, but this is a very unique take on alphabet/bedtime book.
Cristi
Apr 01, 2013 Cristi rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The pictures are beautiful and the animal alphabet is cleverly done. I would give this book as a gift to any child learning their ABC's or as just a baby gift.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • On My Way to the Bath
  • Little Owl's Day
  • Alphabeasties and Other Amazing Types
  • Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping
Crescent Dragonwagon is the daughter of the writers Charlotte Zolotow and the late Hollywood biographer Maurice Zolotow. She is the author of 40 published books, including cookbooks, children's books, and novels. With her late husband, Ned Shank, Crescent owned the award-winning Dairy Hollow House, a country inn and restaurant in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, for eighteen years. She teaches writing ...more
More about Crescent Dragonwagon...