Start by marking “The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Secret of Shelter ...

Alexander Green

The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Most of us devote a substantial percentage of our waking hours to making, spending, and having more. This desire to accumulate is natural. But when a bigger bank balance-or the things it can buy-becomes our animating purpose, disappointment generally follows. In The Secret of Shelter Island, nationally renowned investment analyst and bestselling author Alexander Green expl ...more
Audio
Published October 20th 2009 by Your Coach Digital (first published June 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Shelter Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Shelter Island

Emily
Dec 12, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite books!! I will undoubtedly read this again and again. I absolutely loved the compilation of essays in this book...I initially started reading it after hearing about the chapter to make a goal to stop complaining for over 20 days (isn't that a great idea?!)...and as I read, was deeply inspired to become better in my life in a variety of ways.

This book is fun to read and each little chapter is full of practical instruction for how to be happy, whether you're rich or not. It
Zjay
Jul 17, 2010 Zjay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult book to review because it contains so many good ideas and pithy quotations. It is a collection of sixty-eight short essays, most of which stand on their own. Most can be read in 10-15 minutes. But this is NOT a book you should try to speed read. Each essay should be read slowly, meditated upon, digested. Each is an opportunity to reflect on the direction and nature of the life you are currently living. The secret of Shelter Island, in one sense, is about “paying attention to ...more
Munro
Jan 14, 2011 Munro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great personal development book; one that is thought provoking and serves to help one pause to think about life and what truly matters most.

The 6-page bibliography is evidence to the many references and quotes from other books, which added so much of the philosophical flavor and value in the book.

I like this excerpt from the afterword:
"Beyond material comfort, our happiness is highly dependent on principle-centered living. To the extent that we abide by timeless, universal principles,
Nick Woodall
A very interesting financial planning book. It has nothing to do with numbers, but everything to do with people. Well-written, pithy, and very wise. Talks about subjects like goals, character, friends, spiritual matters, and even where to live. A good, fast read. You will enjoy it.
Dzung Vuong
Feb 07, 2016 Dzung Vuong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent to read and to apply. I particular like the references and stories the author used in this book.
Sarah Stirton
Apr 23, 2015 Sarah Stirton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this, loved Beyond Wealth even more!
Chazzle
A collection of about 80 essays dealing with "what really matters". For this kind of book, it's actually quite well written. If the author's own thoughts fail to impress, he quotes the right people, and I found myself really, really enjoying some of the essays. But, for about a third of the book, I was bored. So, I can't give him a fourth star.

Worth a peak, if this is your kind of thing.
Cindy
Jun 10, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
Oct 13, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, nonfiction
I read the author's newer collection and loved it so much that I also wanted to read this one. I was a little disappointed because he covers a lot of the same things in both books--even some of the same stories to make a point. Still worth reading, although you might be fine with just one of them.
Linda
Just picked up this book ... I was, of course, drawn to the title because I spent every summer of my childhood at my grandmother's house on Shelter Island. It is a book of essays about attitudes toward money. I'll keep you posted ... skimming it looks promising.
Michelle Wright
Jul 18, 2011 Michelle Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great source of inspiration about the role of money in pursuit of "the good life".Each little chapter is like a nugget of practical instruction for how to be happy, whether you're rich or not.

Alby
Really enjoyed this title...a great book that I keep going back to read again a chapter.. Deep truths and insights in role of money and values in life.. A must read for those in pursuit of a good life..
Mingyi
Aug 14, 2015 Mingyi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seldom give books such high rating. Really a good read, short articles with seemingly simple but profound life lessons that we can all learn from it every now and then.
Pat
Sep 13, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Having enjoyed Alexander Green's Spiritual Wealth e-newsletter for a while, I decided to read this collection of earlier essays. I found much to savor and re-read in the future.
Rose
Mar 06, 2012 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and engaging book that emphasizes that money isn't everything, and how to live with your standard of living.
Gary Meade
May 03, 2014 Gary Meade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very obscure title for a pretty special book. Short chapters loaded with wisdom. Top read.
Lucy
Sep 09, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book full of pearls of wisdom and will make you evaluate what is really important in life.
Paquita Lamacraft
Wisdom - yes. Living up to
the hype that interested me enough to order it - no.
Jane Dugger
This was really enjoyable. Short essays but very thought provoking.
Lisa
Jan 01, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An thought-provoking collection of essays.
Cindy
Jun 06, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Alexander Green has taken the "wisdom of the ancients" as he calls it and rendered a book that reads like a memoir, a bible and a self help guide all at once. Each small essay/chapter captivates in spite of it's brevity. Such an easy read that you'll want to slow it down and fully digest every lesson. Truly a gift to be shared among the generations, but not too soon, it will enlighten those that are ready. Buy it, read it, gift it."
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Matthew Colford
Matthew Colford marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Peg Hobbs Sausville
Peg Hobbs Sausville rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Jairo Levi
Jairo Levi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 15, 2016
Keith Jones
Keith Jones rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Quin
Quin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Greta
Greta marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016