Start by marking “Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Never Give Up: My Stro...

Tedy Bruschi

Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL

"Tedy gives you something to believe in. Whether we're winning or losing, he holds his head high, and he knows himself and handles himself so well, others can't help but follow him. The way he practices and plays forces you to become a better teammate; the way he demands hustle and toughness forces you to become a better leader; and the way he carries himself inspires you ...more
Audio
Published April 17th 2008 by Your Coach Digital (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Never Give Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Give Up

Luke Farrell
Feb 22, 2015 Luke Farrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never give up was a very inspiring story to read. It taught me many things I did not know about during tedy bruschi's stroke. As a patriots fan I followed all the stories on him but it was very cool to see his side of the story. All though it was not the best written book, it still had a great story and meaning behind it.
C Baker
Oct 11, 2014 C Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football, sports
Being a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots it goes without saying that one of my favorite players has always been Tedy Bruschi. In the era of free agency when so many players switch teams, players that have been with the Patriots for a while become household names in my house. While it may seem silly or odd for a grown man, I remember when I first heard Bru had a stroke. I sat down and watched a tape of the New England win over the Philadelphia Eagles, at times teary eyed believing that Br ...more
Henry
Being from New England and also being a football fan, Tedy's story intrigued me. Although I have been a fan of the Patriots since I started watching football, Bruschi played professionally when I was a bit younger. His book gives insight on how life in the NFL was a decade ago, where I was not as knowledgable of the sport, but also goes into great detail about his recovery following a stroke he suffered following a Super Bowl victory. The daily struggles Bruschi endured for months were hard to r ...more
Amir Mustafa
Sep 11, 2015 Amir Mustafa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a 4 star rating because it gives a great moral and teaches all readers a lesson. The moral Tedy Bruschi shows in the book is to persevere. Also, the title of the novel,"Never Give Up", shows his message in the book. Tedy had a terrible stroke and he thought his football career was over. However, he recovers from this life-threatening stroke and was able to do what he loves which was play football for the Patriots. I definitely recommend this book to anyone because it teaches a g ...more
Nick Pierce
Dec 13, 2014 Nick Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. I personally am a big fan of Tedy Bruschi and especially the New England Patriots. I learned a lot about how and where Tedy grew up and how intense his football life was. I found that the book went into a lot of detail about the physical therapy, even too much detail sometimes. It was a very well written book. I would recommend this book to any football fan, Patriots fans, or any fan of Tedy Bruschi's career.
Nick Demarco
Nov 05, 2014 Nick Demarco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never give up is a good book because I enjoy football an this is all about football am his career. it is very interesting how hes making a come back from his stroke an playing football again. It is a very interesting book an anyone could read this book.
Stephen Micale
Apr 10, 2012 Stephen Micale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Micale
4/9/12
Quarter 3 Book Review

The book I read for my quarter 3 book review was “never give up” by Tedy Bruschi. It was a book about his stroke and then his recovery. The book follows his life prestroke, during his games and alter party. Then his stroke and what was happening during, like the diagnosis. Then his recovery and eventual return to the game He lovesfootball. This is a very inspirational story, that shows if you try hard enough you can accomplish anything you want, no matte
Virginia Runyon
Feb 20, 2017 Virginia Runyon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tried-it
didn't finish
Justin Sylvia
Granted i didn't really know all that much about Tedy Bruschi as player never mind as a human being, i would honestly say that i thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from Page 1 to the last. In my honest & sometimes humble opinion, i would say that you don't even have to be a pats fan in order to read this book. I bought this book, as i usually do on my Nook Color and decided to jump in shortly after i finished reading my previous book. I learned a lot about Tedy as a man/father/brother/husb ...more
Jessica Fellows
Sep 14, 2016 Jessica Fellows rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!
Nasser
Apr 06, 2008 Nasser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is about NFL star Ted Brioschi and his adventure from a stroke to coming back to his team in new England. the things that Ted Brioschi talks about in this are first the stroke he has which when he got it and the doctor told him he wouldn’t be able to play football for a long time he was very frustrated with himself. as he was working so much just to make it back he was very determined to come back not just 100% but 1000%. when I first read this book I wasn’t really impressed on the fac ...more
mark
Sep 16, 2016 mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think of role model athletes and don't have Tedy Bruschi on that list now, you will after reading this book. This was a wonderful read, because it didn't feel like reading at all, if felt like having Tedy sit right next to you, telling you the story. And what a story. If any one New England Patriot football player embodies the spirit of "Do Your Job", that one person is Tedy Bruschi. He is his own worst critic and his own disciplinarian, and all of that was highlighted in his journey from ...more
Mario
Dec 09, 2010 Mario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My take on this book never give up by Tedy Brushchi gives his readers good deatel about him and his life. In this book he talks about how he got in to football he started playing football in the streets with his freinds. Also on who he made it to were he is now playing for the newngland patriots a team that he has won not one but 3 super bowls. he talks about somthing serios that has taken place in his life a stroke. The deatal that he give all of the readers like how he had to do all of thies r ...more
Zach Wilber
Sep 10, 2013 Zach Wilber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL, by Tedy Bruschi is a very inspiring and humbling biography. Tedy Bruschi led the New England Patriots to 3 Superbowl wins. However, this book goes beyond just football. As many people know, Tedy suffered a stroke in 2005 just days after playing in the Pro Bowl. This book covers all of the good and bad times he experienced in those times, and how he managed to come back and still be an excellent player. I would recommend this book t ...more
Chris
Oct 29, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating story of a remarkable young man, with 3 young children, who suffered a stroke at the age of 31 or 32. With the help of a very supportive wife and extraordinary medical care, he physically recovered. Never intending to return to the NFL, he slowly healed and began to see that if he could play pro football again, he might be an encouragement to other stroke survivors to achieve their potential in their own recovery. He did return to football, despite receiving a storm of criticism, a ...more
Christi
Aug 28, 2007 Christi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Tedy Bruschi fan. I'm an even bigger fan after reading this book. You don't need to follow the New England Patriots to enjoy this inspirational story of a man who recovered from a stroke to play in the NFL 8 months later. But it helps since there is a lot of football talk and recalling of big games. His candid glimpse into his relationships with his wife, his three young sons, his teammates and his doctors is what really makes this book enjoyable.
Tony Espy
Oct 15, 2011 Tony Espy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tedy Bruschi is one of my favorite Patriots ever, and after reading this book, I admire him even more.

The book focuses on his stroke, his subsequent recovery, and the process he and his wife went through to determe what was next for him career-wise. As a fan, I selfishly rooted for Tedy to return to the Patriots. I had little awareness of the grief he went through after deciding to return to football.

A highly recommended read for any fan of the game of football.
Chris
Mar 18, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very intimate look into his personal life and his life of football. What a very genuine and humbled man. He shares details about his desire to overcome the health issues he faced and the wonderful strength and support he found in himself and his family and friends. Wonderful, interesting, and a fun book to read. Loved it! Very classy and sweet man.
Nnhslibrarygmail.com
Oct 09, 2015 Nnhslibrarygmail.com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biographies/memoirs showing leadership
This autobiography demonstrated the tremendous resilience of one of my all-time favorite football players, #54, Tedy Bruschi of the Patriots. He writes about his life as a teen, then as a Super Bowl winning defensive player and then what it was like to have a stroke. His recovery showed courage in the face of adversity. If you are in need of inspiration then this is a must read.
William Fitzpatrick
A well written, fast paced journey from elite NFL athlete to stroke victim to the NFL's first stroke survivor-athlete. Tedy Bruschi delivers his personal story in a matter of fact style that never becomes self-pity. His positive outlook and determination shine page after page. A worthwhile read for fans and those who have been impacted by stroke in their lives.
Denise
Jan 17, 2008 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Dad gave me this for Christmas because I LOVE Tedy Bruschi. Let's just say he's a better inside linebacker than author. But, he has a very inspirational story to tell - surviving a stroke at such a young age, and returning to professional football not even a year later. Amazing. This one is for hard-core Patriots fans or families of stroke survivors looking for hope.
Erin
Jan 06, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it. Tedy has been my favorite Patriot for years, and I was devastated when he had his stroke in 2005, and to see him back, and now, to read all of what he really went through, it is inspiring. It was a quick, good read.

I know a lot of people hate the Patriots, but this is about more than football, for sure.
Daniel Bellemore
In the book Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery and My Return to the NFL by Teddy Bruschi, it talks about the struggles he had to face and overcome to get back into playing on the feild when cooping the fear of not playing after a stroke. This book is good for anyone that likes sports, a good read, and an inspirering autobiography. I would reccomend this book to any friend.
Faye
Oct 31, 2007 Faye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patriots fans, locals, and stroke survivors
This book was recommended to me by one of my former sports psych clients. He thought that I might like it, because of all of the psych elements to Tedy's personality. The book made me have a lot more respect for #54 and what he's been through over the last few years. I actually learned something about stroke rehab too! If you want to borrow it, please let me know!
Amy
Aug 31, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Loved this- esp for a Pats fan and esp given Bruschi's recent retirement. I thought it dragged just a little bit at the end, but overall was a great, inspirational read and gave me a lot of insight on a player I already respected.
Molly
Jul 18, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
I would have like this better if it was Holley writing alone about Tedy but this is still such an inspiring story. I had no idea about half of what he went through until reading this. I still can't believe he went back to football.
Denise
Feb 05, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly at least a must read for at least a Patriots fan if not for all football fans. Mr. Bruschi writes from the heart (yes, pun intended). I would recommend this book for anyone looking for inspiration in unlikely places.
Andrea
Sep 15, 2007 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patriot fans and stroke survivors
I loved this book...it gave you a look into everything Tedy Bruschi went through after suffering a stroke. Towards the end there is a lot of play by play football, which not everyone might like. It was defintely an easy read!
Katie
Oct 22, 2008 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Debbie P
This certainly is not a literary masterpiece...but it's always good to read about how someone overcomes adversity..in this case...being a PRO football player...having a stroke...and managing to come back to the NFL (Patriots) and being a integral part of the organization's success.
Melissa
Jun 05, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
Inspirational story. I had a hard time getting into it because it seemed to jump around a lot, and didn't go into many details when the stroke actually happened and the repair surgery on his heart, so I kept getting confused about his rehab progress. Overall, a story with a happy ending.
  • Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion
  • Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything
  • New England Patriots: The Complete Illustrated History
  • More than a Game: The Glorious Present and Uncertain Future of the NFL
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series
  • Mind Game: How the Boston Red Sox Got Smart, Won a World Series, and Created a New Blueprint for Winning
Is there a better way to honor and celebrate Patriot Day, than with our very own Patriots All-Star? One of the most celebrated NFL players of our time, Tedy Bruschi has played in four (and won three!) superbowls during his 11 years with the New England Patriots. In his first book ever, Tedy discusses his stroke, recovery, and determination to return to the NFL. We hope you will join us for this sp ...more
More about Tedy Bruschi...