Start by marking “Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Never Give Up: My Stro...

Tedy Bruschi

Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"Tedy gives you something to believe in. Whether we're winning or losing, he holds his head high, and he knows himself and handles himself so well, others can't help but follow him. The way he practices and plays forces you to become a better teammate; the way he demands hustle and toughness forces you to become a better leader; and the way he carries himself inspires you ...more
Audio
Published April 17th 2008 by Your Coach Digital (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Never Give Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Give Up

C Baker
Being a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots it goes without saying that one of my favorite players has always been Tedy Bruschi. In the era of free agency when so many players switch teams, players that have been with the Patriots for a while become household names in my house. While it may seem silly or odd for a grown man, I remember when I first heard Bru had a stroke. I sat down and watched a tape of the New England win over the Philadelphia Eagles, at times teary eyed believing that Br ...more
Nick Demarco
Never give up is a good book because I enjoy football an this is all about football am his career. it is very interesting how hes making a come back from his stroke an playing football again. It is a very interesting book an anyone could read this book.
Justin Sylvia
Granted i didn't really know all that much about Tedy Bruschi as player never mind as a human being, i would honestly say that i thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from Page 1 to the last. In my honest & sometimes humble opinion, i would say that you don't even have to be a pats fan in order to read this book. I bought this book, as i usually do on my Nook Color and decided to jump in shortly after i finished reading my previous book. I learned a lot about Tedy as a man/father/brother/husb ...more
Stephen Micale
Stephen Micale
4/9/12
Quarter 3 Book Review

The book I read for my quarter 3 book review was “never give up” by Tedy Bruschi. It was a book about his stroke and then his recovery. The book follows his life prestroke, during his games and alter party. Then his stroke and what was happening during, like the diagnosis. Then his recovery and eventual return to the game He lovesfootball. This is a very inspirational story, that shows if you try hard enough you can accomplish anything you want, no matte
Nasser
this book is about NFL star Ted Brioschi and his adventure from a stroke to coming back to his team in new England. the things that Ted Brioschi talks about in this are first the stroke he has which when he got it and the doctor told him he wouldn’t be able to play football for a long time he was very frustrated with himself. as he was working so much just to make it back he was very determined to come back not just 100% but 1000%. when I first read this book I wasn’t really impressed on the fac ...more
Mario
My take on this book never give up by Tedy Brushchi gives his readers good deatel about him and his life. In this book he talks about how he got in to football he started playing football in the streets with his freinds. Also on who he made it to were he is now playing for the newngland patriots a team that he has won not one but 3 super bowls. he talks about somthing serios that has taken place in his life a stroke. The deatal that he give all of the readers like how he had to do all of thies r ...more
Danielle
Lots of information on his stroke and remarkable recovery, from the point of view from a level headed man who happens to be one of the greatest football players ever.
Zach Wilber
Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery, and My Return to the NFL, by Tedy Bruschi is a very inspiring and humbling biography. Tedy Bruschi led the New England Patriots to 3 Superbowl wins. However, this book goes beyond just football. As many people know, Tedy suffered a stroke in 2005 just days after playing in the Pro Bowl. This book covers all of the good and bad times he experienced in those times, and how he managed to come back and still be an excellent player. I would recommend this book t ...more
Chris
A fascinating story of a remarkable young man, with 3 young children, who suffered a stroke at the age of 31 or 32. With the help of a very supportive wife and extraordinary medical care, he physically recovered. Never intending to return to the NFL, he slowly healed and began to see that if he could play pro football again, he might be an encouragement to other stroke survivors to achieve their potential in their own recovery. He did return to football, despite receiving a storm of criticism, a ...more
Tony Espy
Tedy Bruschi is one of my favorite Patriots ever, and after reading this book, I admire him even more.

The book focuses on his stroke, his subsequent recovery, and the process he and his wife went through to determe what was next for him career-wise. As a fan, I selfishly rooted for Tedy to return to the Patriots. I had little awareness of the grief he went through after deciding to return to football.

A highly recommended read for any fan of the game of football.
Christi
I'm a big Tedy Bruschi fan. I'm an even bigger fan after reading this book. You don't need to follow the New England Patriots to enjoy this inspirational story of a man who recovered from a stroke to play in the NFL 8 months later. But it helps since there is a lot of football talk and recalling of big games. His candid glimpse into his relationships with his wife, his three young sons, his teammates and his doctors is what really makes this book enjoyable.
Daniel Bellemore
In the book Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery and My Return to the NFL by Teddy Bruschi, it talks about the struggles he had to face and overcome to get back into playing on the feild when cooping the fear of not playing after a stroke. This book is good for anyone that likes sports, a good read, and an inspirering autobiography. I would reccomend this book to any friend.
Denise
My Dad gave me this for Christmas because I LOVE Tedy Bruschi. Let's just say he's a better inside linebacker than author. But, he has a very inspirational story to tell - surviving a stroke at such a young age, and returning to professional football not even a year later. Amazing. This one is for hard-core Patriots fans or families of stroke survivors looking for hope.
William Fitzpatrick
A well written, fast paced journey from elite NFL athlete to stroke victim to the NFL's first stroke survivor-athlete. Tedy Bruschi delivers his personal story in a matter of fact style that never becomes self-pity. His positive outlook and determination shine page after page. A worthwhile read for fans and those who have been impacted by stroke in their lives.
Faye
Nov 01, 2007 Faye rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patriots fans, locals, and stroke survivors
This book was recommended to me by one of my former sports psych clients. He thought that I might like it, because of all of the psych elements to Tedy's personality. The book made me have a lot more respect for #54 and what he's been through over the last few years. I actually learned something about stroke rehab too! If you want to borrow it, please let me know!
Erin
I really enjoyed it. Tedy has been my favorite Patriot for years, and I was devastated when he had his stroke in 2005, and to see him back, and now, to read all of what he really went through, it is inspiring. It was a quick, good read.

I know a lot of people hate the Patriots, but this is about more than football, for sure.
Melissa
Inspirational story. I had a hard time getting into it because it seemed to jump around a lot, and didn't go into many details when the stroke actually happened and the repair surgery on his heart, so I kept getting confused about his rehab progress. Overall, a story with a happy ending.
Katie
Oct 22, 2008 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Debbie P
This certainly is not a literary masterpiece...but it's always good to read about how someone overcomes adversity..in this case...being a PRO football player...having a stroke...and managing to come back to the NFL (Patriots) and being a integral part of the organization's success.
Molly
I would have like this better if it was Holley writing alone about Tedy but this is still such an inspiring story. I had no idea about half of what he went through until reading this. I still can't believe he went back to football.
Amy
Loved this- esp for a Pats fan and esp given Bruschi's recent retirement. I thought it dragged just a little bit at the end, but overall was a great, inspirational read and gave me a lot of insight on a player I already respected.
Denise
Clearly at least a must read for at least a Patriots fan if not for all football fans. Mr. Bruschi writes from the heart (yes, pun intended). I would recommend this book for anyone looking for inspiration in unlikely places.
Andrea
Sep 15, 2007 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patriot fans and stroke survivors
I loved this book...it gave you a look into everything Tedy Bruschi went through after suffering a stroke. Towards the end there is a lot of play by play football, which not everyone might like. It was defintely an easy read!
Sue
I really liked this book. It was very inspiring to read about his stroke and recovery and how his family coped with the changes in his life.
Colleen
Bruuuuuschi...if you are a Tedy fan, it gives you some good background as to how difficult it was for him to make the return to pro-football.
Colleen
Inspirational. Tedy Bruschi is a breath of fresh air among elite athletes. The book itself was a little repetitive, but I still cried at times.
Kerri
this was really good. You'll learn a lot about strokes, the Patriots and Tedy. He really has the heart of a champion.
Kristin Bateman
It's not very well-written, but Tedy is THE MAN...so I gave him an extra star. : )
Lynne
I was so interested in Bruschi's story. I found out quite a bit about his life as well.
Lisa
Sep 06, 2007 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes (football fan)
Great book, although there is a great deal of play by play football game action.
  • Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion
  • Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • Meat Market: A Season Inside College Football's No. 1 Recruiting Machine
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL
  • Mind Game: How the Boston Red Sox Got Smart, Won a World Series, and Created a New Blueprint for Winning
Is there a better way to honor and celebrate Patriot Day, than with our very own Patriots All-Star? One of the most celebrated NFL players of our time, Tedy Bruschi has played in four (and won three!) superbowls during his 11 years with the New England Patriots. In his first book ever, Tedy discusses his stroke, recovery, and determination to return to the NFL. We hope you will join us for this sp ...more
More about Tedy Bruschi...
If Not for the Perfect Stranger: Heartwarming and Healing Stories of Kindness from the 2013 Boston Marathon