Start by marking “Full Blooded” as Want to Read:
Full Blooded

Full Blooded (Jessica McClain #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,196 ratings  ·  530 reviews
Born the only female in an all male race, Jessica McClain isn’t just different—she’s feared.

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural world
Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged, 322 pages
Published September 11th 2012 by Hachette Audio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Full Blooded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Blooded

Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Watch out Amanda Carlson, I think I'm in love! I inhaled her debut book like my life depended on it. I haven't read a werewolf novel this good since... since... probably my re-read of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld books earlier this year. Seeing how her novels are the bar by which I measure all furry fiction, that's saying something! Full Blooded's lore is unique and bewitching, her characters are dynamic and her wolves are howling-ly formidable. The action i
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Jessica McClain is one of a kind; a female werewolf the first one ever born unfortunately the rest of her race doesn't view this as a miracle, instead thinking she is the daughter of evil and will destroy their race. Until now though she has been living in relative obscurity under an alias to keep her safe, but her first change hits her and all hell breaks loose as different sects of the supernatural world seem to want to get their hands on her, including the very sexy
Lauren
This book was entertaining enough until the last few chapters where it fell apart.
Jessica had grown up in a pack of werewolves of which her father was alpha. Females are an anomaly and no one expected her to change. The other hitch is when she was born an anonymous letter arrived called the Cain myth that predicted her existence would destroy the pack.
Jessica was living her life out apart from the pack when she late blooms into a werewolf one night.

(view spoiler)
♥Rachel♥
I’ve recently discovered that I love Urban Fantasy reads and Full Blooded had a little of everything I love about them. Kick ass heroine, fast paced action and danger at every turn, and an interesting supernatural world and creatures. Of course, I must have some romance in there, too, and this didn’t disappoint!

Jessica McClain is an anomaly in her Pack. There are no female werewolves but yet here she is, and after years of thinking she would never shift she unexpectedly does, causing havoc and u
Amanda Bonilla
Holy shit, what an ending! Can't wait to read HOT BLOODED. I'm definitely addicted to this series!
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
With Blooded being the appetizer; Full Blooded is the main course.

Jessica is a one of a kind, being the only female to be born to a male werewolf. She is even odder since she didn’t shift once she hit puberty like the other werewolves. Jessica lived her first 26 years of life as a human that was raised by wolves.

But after leaving the Pack life and living a normal human life for the last 7 years she finds herself in the middle of a very painful shift in the late hours of night in her bed.

No one
Julia
An exciting premise, but this book and I have gotten off on the wrong foot. Carlson's delivery is not particularly immersive, and I'm not a fan of her Latina accent for Jessica's neighbor (it's distracting to have such a strong stereotype in the narrative, even as a drive by).

That is nothing compared to how much I don't like her werewolves, however. The prophecy and general panic about a female werewolf aside, when Jessica has an obviously expository rehash of werewolf mating practices, I was ve
MISS VAIN
As a female in Wolf Skin rises, the unborn Daughter of Cain is born; In her the beast shall lie, well hidden in True Form; And from this day forth, the Wolves of the Night shall pay; Blood and flesh of their bones, her mighty hand shall slay; The end of the race will close at hand; When the Daughter of Evil rules the land.

Probably the best shifter book I've ever read! I LOVED IT! Amanda Carlson has landed on my auto buy list and after you read Full Blooded you'll understand why. If you're inter
7/12 - Hmm, not sure about this one so far (page 20). I don't want to say it's got plot holes (too early to assume), but it has got a bit of plot sieve action going on. So, you know how if you dump a cup of flour into a sieve a little sprinkling comes out immediately, but then it stops? As long as you don't poke at it, jiggle it, or breathe too heavily, right? Well, that's the stage I'm at in Full Blooded, the flour's in the sieve, a fine dusting leaked out, but it's stopped for the moment. I'm ...more
Paradoxical
I wasn't exactly impressed with the beginning of the book. For some reason it didn't click with me--Jessica seemed a bland addition to the urban fantasy genre. She's special for being the only female born to werewolves (and the only female werewolf in the world, something told to us repeatedly), and of course comes with nifty powers that nobody else could compare to. This--I like this stuff, okay, but this was boring me more than anything.

I only really got interested in the book about halfway th
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Full Blooded is the first book in Amanda Carlson’s Jessica McClain series, a new urban fantasy series featuring werewolves. No, let me re-phrase. Full Blooded is the first book in Amanda Carlson’s highly anticipated Jessica McClain series, a new urban fantasy series featuring werewolves and an awesome kick ass heroine.

The book opens with one hell of a scene. Jessica – the only female born into a werewolf clan – undergoes her first ever shift into wolf fo
Mariya
From everything I knew about wolves, not being in control was an extremely bad sign. If I couldn't subdue my wolf-- couldn't master my Dominion over the new beast inside me-- I wouldn't be allowed to live. Holy shit, I'm a wolf

One of the best Shifter books EVER! Absolutely LOVED! Amanda Carlson is the next big thing in Urban Fantasy! Obviously, if you a huge Shifter fan you'll love it and if you're not, you'll want to devour more shifter books after this one! As soon as you begin reading you be
Feminista
Rating: 3 out of 5.

I love UFs. I have also been wanting to read this book/series for a long because it sounded like just the kind of book I'd like.

It started out really well. Jess McClain is of the werewolf McClain clan. Her father is the alpha of the pack. Sounds normal right? Except Jessica is the first/only female to have been born from a werewolf. Werewolves mate with human females and can, usually, only give birth to males. To make matters worse, there is this prophecy of sorts, that paints
Wendy Darling
Not a terrible book by any means, but one that is extremely predictable. The heroine is not particularly memorable (though of course she's Super Special and has violet eyes), and there's one wham-bam action scene after the other with very little going on in between. This really reads more like PNR to me than urban fantasy.

My biggest peeve, however, is that the dialogue is awful. Just...awful.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
The book starts with a bang (worst "wake up call" ever) and just keeps going. The action is great. I love that we are thrown into this world, and even though Jess has been on the periphery of it, she now has to learn quick, and we get to tag along.

Werewolves, witches, vampires (not romantic, these are evil suckers), demons, and so on. Jess has just become the only female werewolf - something everyone in the supernatural community seems really pissed about. Through in prophecies, conspiracies, an
Sandy Williams
Holy hell, that was a ride!

It's been a while since I've become so breathless after reading an urban fantasy book. I'd read a few reviews of FULL BLOODED, so I knew I'd likely enjoy it, and when I started reading it, I did. I enjoyed the whole first half. It was good, Jessica was freaking awesome, and - this is going to sound really weird - but I developed a bit of a crush on her dad.

I know! Weird! I'm supposed to develop a crush on the love interest, not on the MC's DAD! But you guys, Callum - d
delane
HOT DAMN I'VE BEEN DYING TO BE ABLE TO OFFICIALLY REVIEW THIS BOOK!!!!!!
I too was graciously allowed to receive the ARC for this book....as well as being one of the ones that got to read it a chapter or two at a time as it was being written.
I'VE NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN!
I love these characters! I admit that part of it is bias....I mean I feel like Jessica is kind of my gal too...even though I'm not the one that thought her up!
James! HUBBA HUBBA! I've got a picture in my head that might be illegal
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
Blooded was the first book that I read from Amanda Carlson and I knew that she had me before I was even finished that prequel novella. But I was still unprepared for how totally hooked I would be with Full Blooded.

It never fails to surprise me when I read a book from a new-to-me author and it blows me away. I love when a writer is able to capture me through the story and characters. Especially when I get so engrossed in a story that several hours pass without me being aware. Full Blooded is defi
Ӄaȶ  McCarthy ~ Aeternum Designs
My Thoughts

FULL-BLOODED is pure Urban Fantasy gold!!

It’s been a great year for Urban Fantasy and the winning streak continues with Carlson’s new series Jessica McClain. The author has given life to a fierce and uncompromising society of werewolves where Jessica is not supposed to exist. In this world, there are no female-born werewolves and hasn’t been for a very long time. Until Jessica.

Superstition is rampant among the werewolves and most in the Pack fear her. Some even believe she is the pro
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

After reading Blooded, the novella of the story (that takes place before this one), I was more than curious to learn more about our heroine, Jessica McClain. The contrary isn’t possible! I must say that I was impressed by this strong woman and I was looking forward to the rest of her history. I can affirm now that this impatience was rewarded when I see how much I enjoyed this first volume.

Some time has passed since the end of the novella and Jessica is inst
Pamela / SpazP
Thoroughly enjoyed!! Review closer to release.
Qwill / The Qwillery
Full Blooded is the first novel in the Jessica McClain series. It was preceded by Blooded, an eNovella, that was published in April.

Jessica is the only female born into an all male race. This leads to problems based on superstitions held by some of the werewolves. Being human and female has not been easy. In the novella, Blooded, we get a glimpse of the difficult life that Jessica has been leading and she finally gets to leave and live away from her father's Pack. Full Blooded picks up her story
P.A. Lupton

I am so glad I read this book. I absolutely loved it. In fact, I think this may be the best werewolf/shifter book I’ve read. To be honest, I wasn’t really that into reading it, I only read it because it was recommended from someone I trust. I love when I have low expectations, because those books often end up really surprising me.

The world the author created in Full Blooded is so unique. It was really cool that the heroine is the ONLY female werewolf in existence. Not only that, but she kicks ma
Stacy
Jessica has pretty much come to terms with the fact that she will never turn into a werewolf, she has finally convinced her father that she needs to get away from the pack that hates her with a passion and she has been living on her own when the unthinkable happens. She turns.

Jessica was an instant like character for me. She stands up for herself, doesn't take anyone's crap and even though she might be at a disadvantage she will put her all into kicking your ass if you get in her face. The pack
Kt
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Life has never been easy for Jessica McClain. As the only female to ever be born to a werewolf clan, a race full of superstitions, she is reviled and feared. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that she is the Alpha's daughter, she probably wouldn't have lived far past her birth. Yet in the past few years, she has managed to form herself a life away from most of the pack and its scrutiny. But that carefully constructed life comes tumbling do
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)

You really should read the prequel Blooded before you start this book. It gives you that much needed background info and you really get a better understanding of Jessica and her situation.

I loved this book. It started out with a bang and totally kept me going the whole book through. I loved Jessica and all the characters, her best friend, her brother, her father and James. Oh yes I loved me some James!! I loved the way the pack worked even though I thought a few of them were just douche bags.

J
Jacob Proffitt
Ugh. I was actually going along with the book through most of it, though there are a few problems with motivations—mainly with Jessica's dad. I get the protective vibe. I do. But he's not protecting her so much as imposing his own will based on pure ego and a denial of reality that is, frankly, delusional. Add that the ending is manipulatively cliff-hangery and I dropped completely out of charity with the novel by its end.

Authors: it's one thing to leave a cliff-hanger, it's another to neuter yo
Rose
I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of books that center around werewolves. Even though now that I started watching Teen Wolf I'm more likely to pick up a book with werewolves in it, I'm still wary. So when I started Full Blooded, my expectations were as low as possible. And although the book wasn't perfect, it did suprise me in a positive way.

After her change at the age of 26, Jessica McClain is the only female werewolf in an all male race. She's been living away from her father's Alpha pa
Bastard

I don't envision this novel, which I enjoyed, will have many negative reviews around, and I'd hazard a guess that this one will be one of the more critical ones, and that's a good thing... I think. Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson is as close a sure thing debut as any I've read in the urban fantasy genre. It's appeal will make it a fan favorite right off the bat, and a novel that will surely charm its way to be among the favorites of the year for urban fant
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
This review is going to be a little different from my usual reviews. First I won’t be doing it alone, my sister Juanita is joining me today, she is going to help me review Full Blooded, but that is not the only thing different, Full Blooded is the first book Juanita have read in this “kind” of genre. Her books usually don’t have supernatural creatures or different worlds in them. I can honestly say that Full Blooded popped her Urban Fantasy Cherry.

Marcela: Welcome and thank you for trusting me a
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Grazzit's April Members Choice Read 15 29 Jun 13, 2013 01:28AM
Jessica McClain B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chat with Amanda! - 04/22 @ 5-6 PM (CDT) / 6-7 PM (EDT) 131 45 Apr 22, 2013 08:31PM
Jessica McClain B...: Full Blooded 1 10 Mar 25, 2013 06:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Books need to be combined 6 165 Aug 31, 2012 02:53PM
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files #2)
  • A Cat's Chance in Hell (Hellcat, #1)
  • Sealed with a Curse (Weird Girls, #1)
  • Black Rook (Cornerstone Run Trilogy, #1)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifter, #1)
  • Dirty Magic (The Prospero's War, #1)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Bloodrage (Blood Destiny, #3)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
Amanda Carlson is the author of the upcoming Jessica McClain series. The first book, Full Blooded, will be released by Hachette Book Group, ORBIT US & UK SEPT 2012. She’s been writing for over ten years. Full Blooded is her first novel. She lives in Minneapolis, with her husband and three kids.
More about Amanda Carlson...
Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2) Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3) Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5) Red Blooded (Jessica McClain, #4) Aces Wild (Sin City Collectors #1)