Start by marking “The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8: Unfixable” as Want to Read:
The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8: Unfixable

The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8: Unfixable (The Invincible Iron Man #8)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Why should Tony Stark be the one to benefit from all of his technology? What right does Stark have to keep his miracles to himself? Doc Ock demands answers--and salvation--from Iron Man. To get Tony Stark's attention, Dr. Octopus serves him notice with a 21-kiloton nuclear device. To force Stark's compliance, he threatens to kill millions of Manhattanites. And to prove Sta ...more
Published March 14th 2012 by Marvel (first published September 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8

Jeff
Nerd Fight! or Revenge of the Nerd or Who is a Bigger Ass: Tony Stark or Dr. Octopus?!

Dr. Octopus like most sociopathic criminal master minds holds a grudge and Tony Stark, like most billionaire, playboy, industrialist, inventors is a superior jerk. The two met at a scientific conference a long time ago when bowl haircuts still weren’t popular. Words were exchanged, insults traded, animosity festered.

In the present (right before Superior Spiderman), an ailing and dying Doc Ock, his malevolence t
Mike
Starts off with exactly the kind of smart writing I keep coming back to Fraction for. Great conflict set-up btw Doc Ock and Tony Stark, and I was really intrigued how well Fraction kept thwarting Stark from his 'easy answers'. Not sure I'm a fan of how it ended, but if this becomes the seed for future plotlines then I'm all in. Grubby, flawed and broken actors in comics: far too interesting not to read.

The one thing that distracted me from fully enjoying the story was Larocca's art. He's very ta
Shannon Appelcline
The Unfixable story proper is interesting, though it doesn’t really seem to go anywhere [7/10]. The Free Comic Day story has great characterization and great art, but no depth [6/10]. The Rescue story isn’t interesting at all and should have been included several volumes ago [5/10]. Overall, another kind of disappointing volume, though I think it’s in large part a problem with the vagaries of TPBs versus monthly comics. These last couple of volumes included enough junk that it really stalled thi ...more
Pturingan
This volume was just mostly filler. The only good thing, for me, was that they made Doctor Octopus look really, really strong. Maybe that was the point of the whole storyline?
Tarique Ejaz
Doctor Octopus is dying and he wants to prove to the person that had humiliated him way before just to feel better about himself. Sounds crazy? Add to that the fact that he has planned to blow up the entire city of New York if his demands are not heeded. Now, crazy seems an understatement.

The billionaire, philanthropist playboy is brought to his feet as his intellectual is challenged by a major protagonist of the Spider verse.

Plus, the cameo by Electro and Sandman who are taken for a spin by Pep
Mike Clooney
This is one of those mish-mash volumes, collecting a few shorter stories that couldn't merit a book of their own. Overall, the lengthy Fraction/LaRocca run on INVINCIBLE IRON MAN was nothing short of phenomenal, but the lead story collected here - "Unfixable" - is mainly an interlude piece before diving into the "Fear Itself" crossover, and does little to further the main multi-year arc of Tony Stark's redemption and repurposing. It does however offer an interesting take on Doctor Octopus as a c ...more
Jacob
Matt Fraction continues to amaze telling great stories. This has to be one of the longest writer and artist collaborations in quite some time, perhaps after Bendis & Bagley and Brubaker & Epting. I would suspect this has to be longest any one writer and artist have worked together on an Iron Man title ever.

This collection tells a nice 3 part story with Dr. Ock. I can't believe how Marvel has ruined the look of that character and Elektro. After the 3 part tale the same writer, Fraction, h
Dan
A decent collection of stories including Doc Ock and the sinister six (well, 3 of them, anyway), plus the free comic book day story with Thor, and one with Pepper / Rescue. The main story also leads into the separate Fear Itself storyline.
Sean
May 27, 2013 Sean rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel comics fans!
I love the idea of a genius super villain jealous and disgusted with the attention that Tony Stark gets. Sadly, the inclusion of Otto Octavious, Dr. Octopus, as that villain makes little sense. Even with some forced retconning, for the story's sake, its still obvious. Otto's machinations are fitting but misguided. Stark's solution was also out of character. The action was lacking here, especially considering characters involved. Pepper's scrap with other members of the Sinister Six was bland. Th ...more
Renata
Ooh I liked this one so much that it took longer to read because I kept emailing fragments of it to Tara.

Like, yes, more Pepper/Rescue forever. Also yes to Tony snarking on Doc Ock forever. But most importantly, YES TO IRON MAN AND THOR ON THE MOON FOREVER. File that under things I didn't know I wanted until I received them, oh my god.

This volume also includes Rescue #1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick? DOES RESCUE ACTUALLY HAVE HER OWN COMIC? BRB let me Google that. Oh I guess there's just that one issue
Becky
This book and the book before it are basically just fillers while the Fear Itself plot gets going. It's really annoying. I want the Fraction/Larroca plot back! These two books were so small, and very few relevant stories in them. They could have been paired down and put together and moved on from. I really hope the next one picks up the plot again.
Also, I'm super bitter because I don't want to actually have to read Fear Itself. I'm hoping the Iron Man plot that comes out the other side is unders
Hanka
Joe Sergi
While good, this isn't as well done as the other story arches and Doc Ock isn't really consistent with other incarnations (we've seen a very similar story in the 80s in The Fantastic Four, with exactly the opposite conclusion and the sane plot in Spider-man in the 90s, with it motivating the villain in the opposite direction).

And while I liked the Rescue story (who wouldn't love a Rescue series? I'd even volunteer to write it for free) it's way out of order and actually occurred around volume 3
Steve
Definitely filler. The main story is a side adventure with Tony Stark having been kidnapped by Doctor Octopus, and literally nothing happens in the story. It's like Otto was like "hey come hang out with me for a couple of hours" and then we had to read about it for three issues. Also this book could have been combined with the previous book quite easily to be one trade, and the fact that they weren't smacks to me of these two trades both being a cash-grab attempt by Marvel.
Ellen
This was enjoyable
Caroline
My favorite in here was the standalone issue at the end, of Pepper Potts working on her role as Rescue. I definitely enjoyed the main story arc of this volume, involving the rivalry between Tony Stark and Doc Ock, though, and it was interesting character-wise to see Stark willing to swallow his pride in order to save people. A solid volume.
Mark
Noble hero degrades self for childish villain.

Cliche story with good art.

I don't like this incarnation of Doc Ock and I think it would have been much more interesting if Tony Stark had truly wronged Octavius which would lead to an intriguing role reversal.

Learning Curve: Low but some knowledge of Iron Man would be helpful.
Noah Soudrette
We're finally back on course after the placeholder that was volume 7. And, while there are a few one shots collected in here, they're pretty good fun, and the three issue Doc Ock story isn't too bad either. Plus we get to see Pep in action, find out about a new romantic entanglement, and all around have fun.
I almost didn't even read this one because Iron Man 7 was so bad, but the lure of art by both Larroca and Romita Jr. was too much ignore. Thankfully, the writing was better in this one (though it would have been hard not to improve on the last issue).
Myke
The main story of this collection was great,particularly the history of Tony Stark and Doc Oc's rivalry with each other, The Pepper Potts issue was also a good read but the Iron Man/Thor issue wasn't as good as i had anticipated.
Koen Claeys
Like the previous volume this was an uneventful filler but I found myself enjoying it more than volume 7 (which has been sold already). Next up : the Fear Itself tie-in.
Jin
"I must admit, this one's a sloppy story! Boring and uneventful. But thanks to the Rescue story that somehow saved this volume, it made me rate it at 3 instead of 2."
Eric
I liked seeing Doc Ock showing up and posing a threat to a non-Spider-Man character. This felt very heavy on action, even without any, which is a weird thing to admit.
Limau Nipis
A 4-star because the history revelation on Pepper Potts, the famous secretary of Mr Stark a.k.a. Ironman.

And the appearance of the evil Dr Octopus.
Brandt Fundak
I've been a big fan of Matt Fraction's take on Iron Man and this volume is no exception. This one isn't as good as Unfixable, but still pretty decent.
Rachel
Three stars (most of it was just prepping for Fear Itself, understandably) but then the Rescue one-shot brought the rating up to four.
VivShay
Read: #501, Liked the rivalry between Dr. Otto and Stark interested in seeing I'd he's capable of fixing him. So far...
Matt
There's some decent stuff here, but, overall, this lacks the thrill of the previous three years on the book.
Alexandra
The Rescue one shot was actually my favorite of the collection, and bumped up the overall rating.
Stephen
Fraction seems to be increasingly phoning it in. It felt rushed. The backup stories were worse.
  • Iron Man: Execute Program
  • New Avengers, Vol. 2: Infinity
  • Black Widow: Kiss or Kill
  • Thor: Latverian Prometheus
  • Spider-Man: Grim Hunt
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...

The Invincible Iron Man (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 7: My Monsters
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 9: Demon
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 10: Long Way Down
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 11: The Future
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares