Start by marking “True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure” as Want to Read:
True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure

True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure

The #1 bestseller that presents seasonal, sustainable, and delicious recipes from Dr. Andrew Weil's popular True Food Kitchen restaurants.

When Andrew Weil and Sam Fox opened True Food Kitchen, they did so with a two-fold mission: every dish served must not only be delicious but must also promote the diner's well-being. TRUE FOOD supports this mission with freshly imagined
Published October 9th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about True Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Food

Caro
Sep 22, 2013 Caro rated it liked it
Some promising recipes to try, though the authors assume you have the same access to unusual ingredients (sea buckthorn juice, anyone?) as they do on the other coast.
Carine
Sep 15, 2012 Carine rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
***I received the book thanks to Goodreads First Reads***

I learned about Dr. Andrew Weil thanks to my mother several years ago. I was hence eager to discover this recipe book with such a colorful, yummy bowl on the cover.

“True Food” simply means true, yummy, everyday ingredients (understand unprocessed vegetables, fruits, fish, a little meat and a little chocolate) prepared in simple yet incredibly delicious ways.

This recipe book and its title did not come out of the blue: they are inspired by o
Marilyn Harriman
Jul 27, 2015 Marilyn Harriman rated it really liked it
After dining at the restaurant (Fairfax,Va location) a couple times, I was inspired to purchase the cookbook and try some recipes. There are definite pros and cons: the upside is the abundance of healthy, filling recipes. The downside is the number of recipes that call for special ingredients. I had to make a trip to Whole Foods for every recipe I made, and it was pricey. The matcha tea, for example, for Green Arnie, was $17.99. The recipe calls for 8 lemons (79 cents each). It's delicious but a ...more
Kristi
Mar 21, 2013 Kristi rated it liked it
This cookbook was not what I was expecting. Firstly, I had thought recipes would be organized by season given the subtitle. While non-traditional, I enjoy cookbooks that are focused on real food and sustainable eating to be organized that way. It makes it easier to meal plan for in-season cooking. I was also surprised by the large number of the recipes that called for really specialized ingredients. Some may be available in specialty grocery stores in middle America, but I’m pretty certain many ...more
Raquel Richardson
Dec 30, 2012 Raquel Richardson rated it it was amazing
Loved just about everything about this book from the concept of why they started the restaurant and how they put the recipes together. I've already done many recipes here and it's a great read and book.
Alexis Depalmo
Jan 08, 2013 Alexis Depalmo rated it it was amazing
This book is for adventurous cooks. It inspired me to cook again. If you are a fan of an anti-inflammatory diet this book guides you. Good pictures and health explanations on the ingredients.
Darren
Nov 01, 2012 Darren rated it liked it
After a while a 'yet another' book authored by one or more partners in a restaurant can begin to grate. Unless you are a devotee of that particular establishment you start to question the purpose of the book. Of course, a chef at the top of his or her game, renowned for innovation or a particular speciality can still manage to pull a rabbit out of the literary-culinary hat, but for those lower down the 'food chain'?

It is unfortunate that this book brought these thoughts to a head. Here you get t
Alex
Feb 10, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: mycookbooks
Kristin Shafel Omiccioli
Sep 01, 2012 Kristin Shafel Omiccioli rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, giveaway-wins
I won this book as a free giveaway from Goodreads.com's First Reads: True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure by the owners/chef of True Food Kitchen restaurants in California, Arizona, and Colorado—Dr. Andrew Weil, Sam Fox, and Michael Stebner. I haven't had a chance to make any of the recipes yet, but they all look very tasty, healthy, and relatively easy to make (thanks to easy-to-understand instructions). True Food's aim is for healthy lifestyles, and includes information about gluten- ...more
Alix
Jan 07, 2017 Alix rated it really liked it
I picked up this book after eating at True Food Kitchen in Austin. While I didn't find the recipe I loved at the restaurant (Red Chili Noodles), I did find other delicious recipes. Given Weil's food pyramid, there's actually a lot of meat and fish based recipes (not surprising, perhaps, given American demands), but I did find delicious recipes that were vegan or that I could veganize. The Curried Cauliflower soup was creamy, a little spicy, and delicious; the beet and Quinoa Tabbouleh was bright ...more
Tia
Nov 22, 2013 Tia rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite cookbook, ever! Everything is made using real, organic when possible, fresh ingredients, and the flavors are better than restaurant amazing. In one week we've made a number of the dishes, including:

Veggies & Tzatiki
Homemade Hummus
Asian Cauliflower
Teriyaki Chicken Stirfry
Curry Cauliflower Soup
Halibut + Fingerling Potatoes

There are only 2 drawbacks for this cookbook. First, each dish is hard to make for working parents because of the amount of time prepping takes.
Debbie
Nov 07, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I checked this beautiful cookbook out from the library to see if I really wanted it in my cookbook collection. A collection that has outgrown its allotted shelves and is coming under my scrutiny for necessary but thoughtful thinning. I love my cookbooks!

This book shares recipes used in a group of restaurants by the same name started by Weil and two partners. The recipes are all healthy but not easy. Most include a longish list of ingredients, some I've never heard of, so it's not a book for a no
Susi
Sep 15, 2012 Susi rated it liked it
This cook book is for adventurous cooks, with recipes asking for things you may not typically use every day--like jicama, honshimeji mushrooms, miso, nutritional yeast flakes, or bison meat. This doesn't mean the recipes aren't good, it's just that you may have to plan in advance to make these meals and track down some ingredients. The photographs are helpful (and tempting) and the soups in particular look yummy--though some are labor intensive if you follow them to a T. The curried cauliflower ...more
Janine
Jan 31, 2013 Janine rated it liked it
I tried a few recipes from this book and they turned out very nice. The Curried Cauliflower Soup and the Sweet Potatoe-Poblano Soup are truly outstanding. A lot of the others are just not stimulating enough for me - a lot of it is fish / shellfish, bison meat, or require purchase or preparation of specialty ingredients such as umami sauce and yuzo kosho. I prefer simpler undertakings. For example, the book has an interesting curry recipe, but it seemed quite complicated with lots of ingredients, ...more
Kellye
Sep 15, 2012 Kellye rated it it was amazing
**I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway**

The sustainable food movement is gaining ground everywhere. Making it accessible to almost anyone anywhere. I love the idea of using organic healthy ingredients but was always at a loss as to how to use the ingredients. True Food provides you just that. Beyond great healthy recipes it offers advice and guidance for preparation. The book is full of BEAUTIFUL full color images that show you exactly what you are making. It contains everything from smo
Natalie
Mar 14, 2013 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best cookbooks I've ever cooked from. Borrowed it from the local library, and I plan to purchase it to add to my kitchen collection. Recipes focus on healthy fresh produce, spices and grains instead of typical butter and sugar that are so common in the American diet. The blueberry quinoa johnycakes, Moroccan chicken salad, and carrot-parsnip bread were particularly delicious. Highly recommend if you are into healthy eating and looking for some new and interesting recipes to tr ...more
Britt
Aug 24, 2012 Britt rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this book, for a number of reasons. First, it's a healthy cookbook, yet manages to have recipes that the everyday person would be able to use. Second, it even has recipes for basic things, such as pesto, that help beginning cooks like myself. Third, it makes me confident that I can cook decent food.

I really enjoy this book, and if anyone wants a cookbook that's loaded with healthy food, yet for the average beginning cook, then this is the book for you!
Taylor
Aug 22, 2012 Taylor rated it liked it
I'm not a huge health food nut but I saw this on the give away list and thought why not. I looked through and it's actually not a bad collection of recipes. I learned some things from it too. Like how healthy bison meat is. Granted, I'm not sure how easily I'd be able to get my hands on some but I digress.
It's a decent collection of recipes and I fully intend to try my hand at a few of these.
I won this as a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Claudia
Dec 01, 2013 Claudia rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I opened this cookbook with a desire to really like it, and sort of an expectation that it would be fantastic. Well, it was, perhaps if all the ingredients would be available in an average grocery store in my region. Astragalus root? Hmmm.... So, not a book to give someone or rely upon if said person lives in rural upper Midwest. And this was disappointing, because I do feel that food I have access to is "true" and "real." Just not super exotic or hoity-toity.
Sherry
Oct 20, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads. I love that the recipes are seasonal and fairly simple to prepare. Many vegetarian choices is a big plus, too. Extra sections like, "What is the Anti-Inflammatory Diet?" and "How Americans are Learning to Love Raw Kale" add a nice touch, not found in typical recipe books. Curried Cauliflower Soup-- yum! The only thing that I didn't like about this book is that the recipes are lacking nutritional information.
Cindy Deister
***Not a vegan or even vegetarian cookbook - though some dishes are V or VEG, or can be adapted.***
True Food Kitchen is one of my favorite restaurants in Houston - they offer vegan or adaptable dishes on the menu, which is based on Dr. Andrew Weil's food pyramid. Reading through this cookbook informed me on cooking techniques and flavor combinations. Each recipe I have tried has proven delicious!
Pamela Rose
Sep 02, 2013 Pamela Rose rated it it was amazing
I know that as a resident health guru, Andrew Weil has a lot expected of him. He certainly delivered in this cookbook entry based on his restaurant menu by the same name. In addition to many unusual and healthy recipes, there are several valuable insights into the world of healthy eating. My one small criticism would be that there are so many uncommon food ingredients that one has to practically relearn cooking! But, I certainly think it is worth trying.
Katie  Jones
Jan 20, 2015 Katie Jones rated it it was ok
Boohoo! The food looks so good but right out of the gate.. I am sure Andrew Weil is not a stay at home mom with ADD! Most of the recipes are to long- to many ingredients, extra sauces- and things I can't easily find like Sea Buckthorn Juice, honshimji mushrooms, annatto seeds? And I do cook.. A lot. Granted I've only looked it over. I have not made any recipes...yet these lovely recipes seems overly showy. Maybe it will expand my horizons. We'll see!
Laurel
Oct 27, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it
We discovered True Food Kitchen on vacation. Once we tried the food, we wanted the cookbook. It is beautifully photographed, and Dr. Weil's commentary explains his diet rationale. But the food is the real attraction: tasty, healthy and beautiful. The kale salad is amazing. I don't like kale, but this salad changed my mind. Bon appetit!
Skigirl
Mar 01, 2013 Skigirl rated it really liked it
So very yummy. I've followed Weil a bit as I like his holistic approach to health. When a True Food Kitchen opened in Denver, I had to try it. I was a follower at first bite and immediately checked this out of the library. I've made 6 or 7 recipes and they've all been delicious and healthy. I feel great after eating this food!
Nicole Maendel
Apr 26, 2013 Nicole Maendel rated it it was amazing
This is a cookbook where Foodie meets Medicine Man/Woman. I have enjoyed reading Dr. Weil's research and contributions to the Natural Products Industry over the years. I was pleased to find his wisdom integrated into a user-friendly cookbook. I loved the Strawberry-Chile Salsa. Don't miss the drink section!
Ann
Sep 14, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a first reads giveaway. It is a gorgeous cookbook, the kind anyone would be happy to get as a present. The recipes are well thought out and beautifully presented. The focus of the cookbook is on the anti-inflammatory diet, which I can personally recommend. If I hadn't received this book for free, I think I would buy it.
Cathy
Jun 12, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Some great recipes for meals that are nutritious and full of vegetables (especially good enchiladas and chicken teriyaki) and I like that there are so many kinds of flavors from around the world but many of the recipes have so many steps and ingredients as to make them unrealistic to make very often. Also some of the ingredients are impossible to find locally and no substitutions are suggested.
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
A lot of the recipes in here are more complicated than my norm, but they make for good jumping off points. Some of them are doable even for slackers like me! It's a beautiful book too. My biggest criticism is that they didn't include a copy of the Weil anti-inflammatory pyramid, which is what the recipes are based on, just a photographed version? How bizarre.
Saundra
Oct 02, 2012 Saundra rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a first reads giveaway. True Food is delicious to read with so many mouth watering photographs of food. The recipes seem easy to follow as well. I like that the book includes a section on basics (carmelizing onions and making different sauces). I can't wait to go shopping and then try some of theses recipes.
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Simply Satisfying: Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You'll Want to Make Again and Again
  • The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Handwritten Recipes: A Bookseller's Collection of Curious and Wonderful Recipes Forgotten Between the  Pages
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life
  • The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A Delicious Alternative for Lifelong Health
  • Secrets of the Best Chefs: Recipes, Techniques, and Tricks from America's Greatest Cooks
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • One Good Dish
  • Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Fields Of Greens
  • My Year in Meals
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and program director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. He is the author of many bestselling books, including Spontaneous Healing, 8 Weeks to Optimum Health, and many others. he is also the editorial director of the popular DrWeil.com website which helps people to live healthier and happier lives.

Learn More:
Facebook.com/DrWeil
YouTube.com/DrWeil
Instagr
More about Andrew Weil, M.D....