Start by marking “The Bedtime Book for Dogs” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Bedtime Book for Dogs

Bruce Littlefield

The Bedtime Book for Dogs

Come. Sit. Stay. I want to tell you a story. I think you'll like it. It's about a TREAT and a good dog, a very good dog who wanted to go play. But his friend was busy....

THE BEDTIME BOOK FOR DOGS is a charming story about a dog who decides that he'd rather walk to the park by himself than wait for his human companion-and discovers that all of his usual activities aren't as
ebook
Published June 8th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Bedtime Book for Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bedtime Book for Dogs

Lilac Wolf
Jun 08, 2011 Lilac Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first children's book to review! And it's a new family favorite. I didn't read it myself, I took it with us for our first summer story time before bed. The boys LOVED it. In fact Ivan (2 1/2 yrs old) has insisted I read it about a dozen times in the first 3 days we have had it. I'd say that makes it a hit. My 5 yr old gets mad if he misses a reading of it.

The pictures are simply drawn and colored and this gives me a sense of simplicity and safety...comforting. I could look at them for ages. T
Cheryl
Jun 13, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bedtime book for Dogs is a cute, quick read. It is about a dog, it has no name but all you need to know is it is a good dog. Well this dog wanted to go for a walk but there was no one there to walk the dog. The dog decided to go for a walk himself. The dog played in the park and found interesting things like a squirrel but again there was no one there to share the news with. The dog realizes just how much he misses his owner and heads back home. His owner is there to greet him and tell the d ...more
Renee
May 20, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely adorable. The cover says it's perfect for adults and children and I couldn't agree more. It's very easy to read and the illustrations are so freakin' cute! The only bad thing that I can say about it is it should have been packaged with dog treats. This book mentions treats a few times and Coco (my dog) was disappointed not to get one but overall she gives it 2 thumbs paws up!

*Complimentary copy of the book provided by the publisher for review*
Gmr
Jun 21, 2011 Gmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages
This is a storybook centered around you AND your favorite pooch, or pooches. The author invites you and your furry friend to listen to the story about to unfold with words familiar to both our ears AND theirs...pretty creative if I do say so myself. I mean, the concept is simple enough, but when have you actually seen it employed and with such adorable success. The actual story reminds all of us that our time is spent so much better together than it is apart. The mundane becomes extraordinary, t ...more
Mary Kate
I thought the concept for The Bedtime Book for Dogs was fresh and just different enough to make it fun. But this picture book about a dog who decides to take himself to the park when his human friend is too busy to do so failed to engage me. More importantly, my "test subjects" - two of my book-loving grandchildren (ages 1 & 4) - weren't much interested either. They certainly didn't ask for a re-read. To double-check my interpretation of their reaction, I offered to leave the book with them ...more
Serena
Jun 01, 2011 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bedtime Book for Dogs by Bruce Littlefield, published by Hachette Book Group in June 2011, is chock full of large, colorful illustrations that even catches the eyes of infants. My daughter is only 3 months old and she was drawn into the book by the illustrations of the dog and the park with its bright greens and browns. The story is short and sweet, which would make it easy to read for those learning and those wanting to read on their own. Littlefield’s story is one about friendship — a comp ...more
April
Jun 06, 2011 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
THE BEDTIME BOOK FOR DOGS by Bruce Littlefield is a delightful story for all dog lovers and children alike.It is well written with beautiful illustrations. It will captivate not only your dog but your child also. What a charming story about a dog,who wanted to to outside but his human companion did not.So the dog decided to go outside himself and learned that things are not nearly as fun alone. This is written with words that dogs can understand and relate to. Kids will want to read this book ov ...more
Brenda
Jul 01, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dogs, and when I heard about this book written for dogs I was interested to see if my dogs would be interested, and I gotta say it was a hit. It is filled with words that I use all the time with my dogs anyway, such as come, stay, good dog, and treat, hey what dog doesn't listen when you say the word treat. As I read the book to my two dogs they sat in rapt attention for the whole book.
The bright colors and fantastic illustrations will certainly hold the attention of a child, and because
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jun 04, 2011 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
First I'll tell you how the dogs responded, since it was for them. Bella loved it, and I read it to her a few times. Ewok liked it, but only sat twice. The other times she got distracted by something else.
Now for what I think about the book.
Pretty cool!
Who could have thought a dog would have a book for reading, but hey. It has the basic commands and words all dogs learn, and they hear that and listen. Especially during the treats part.
I felt that the middle of the book both dogs kind of fizzled
Jules
Apr 30, 2011 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This darling book will delight anyone who has a dog or has ever loved one. The story is short and sweet, describing how much more fun it is to play with a good friend than by yourself. I have to admit that I read it to our dogs to see their reactions. They did pick out several words such as sit, stay and TREAT! It was really cute seeing their ears perk up and their heads cock to one side when they recognized the words.

Kids of all ages will have fun reading this book out loud, especially if they
Marisa
Jun 06, 2011 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this through First Reads. I loved the colors and the illustrations and, of course, the doggie! One detail I liked was the changing action of the squirrel. One detail I did not like was one page where words were made up of dog parts. I read this to my boyfriend's dog, Winslow, a Boston Terrier. The book was able to keep his attention for about 80% of the time. He certainly perked up upon hearing certain words. The Bedtime Book for Dogs is such a fun idea! Now I want to read it to my parents ...more
Debbie
A good dog wanted to play. Being a good dog, he does all of the normal things to go play, but found that with out a friend around to play with, it was not as much fun. So, being a good dog, he went home.

Cute and with large printed words for a new reader, this is a simple (maybe too simple) and easy to read story. With wonderful full page, bright colored illustrations by Paul S. Heath that help to tell the story. How fun for a beginning reader to be able to read a bedtime story to a dog or even
Dolly
May 19, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children reading to a dog
I won this book on Goodreads Giveaways and we were thrilled to review this book together. This is a simple and fun book for children to read to a dog (or for a parent to read with a child, and perhaps a dog). The illustrations are colorful and the narrative is very basic, so it is good for beginning readers. Our local library has a "read to the dog" program, so we donated this book to them to add to their collection of books that children can pick to read to the dog.
Dianna
Oct 20, 2011 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bedtime story for kids to read to their dogs. First you invite your dog to "sit" and "stay," then tell him a story about a good dog who gets a treat. What dog wouldn't like that?

Don't worry if you don't have a dog. We don't have a dog, but the book still made sense and my kids liked it. I just think it will be even more loved by kids who have a dog.

Definitely a unique book!
Frances
This was a really cool concept. I read it to my dog Max. Unfortunately he only stayed with it for the first few pages then he became distracted. I tried a couple more times with the same results. He is interested at first then he moves on. I on the other hand found it cute and entertaining.
Virginia
Jun 12, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the cutest books for kids I’ve seen in years, I had to wait till my daughter read it to our dog six times before I got to read the book! As a tool for getting kids to read it definitely works.
Beth Withers
Jun 21, 2011 Beth Withers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a precious little book with adorable artwork! It is just what it says, a bedtime book to read to your dog. It has words in it that my dogs recognize, especially the "t" word, treat! This would make a great gift to any dog lover.
Jill Hunter
May 18, 2011 Jill Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just such a cute book. My kids fight over who gets to read it to the dog each night. Our copy's slightly slobbered, but the dog loves getting to lie down with the kids and have them read to him, plus it's good reading pratice for the kids.
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Dog's owner is too busy so he decides to take a walk by himself, but it's not as fun. This was a cute picture book. It has simple text and big cartoonish illustrations, and involves treats!
Mary (BookHounds)
This is the perfect book to read to your dog or child. It is very sweet and nicely done!
Zib
Nov 04, 2011 Zib rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it to my 11 month old standard poodle. He loves it!
Mary Anne
Aug 30, 2011 Mary Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect picture book for dogs. And perfect for kids to read to their dogs!
Becca
Jan 13, 2014 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a First Reads giveaway. It's a sweet, small book for the loved dog in your life. Not quite special enough to serve as more than a one time read, but maybe fun for kids.
Stephanie
May 09, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
Cute. I tried to read it to my dog and the dog I'm sitting, but neither was very interested. They were both more concerned with keeping the cat from jumping onto the bed.
Mohammad
Aug 06, 2011 Mohammad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very silly book. My son thought it was cute how the dog was a good dog... but I don't see how it has anything to do with bedtime!
Jim Sampson
Jun 15, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dog enjoys me reading to him n now his own book.
Ann Babcock
May 18, 2011 Ann Babcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My doggies love it and it was great to read to them. It is a cute little story and young children would love it!!!
Miss Melissa
Oct 06, 2011 Miss Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, dog
Maybe it is just my mood, but this one came off as kind of creepy to me. I don't know why I would ever want to read a picture book to my dog!
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Bruce Littlefield is a best-selling author, lifestyle expert, and an arbiter of American fun. He shares his passionate curiosity (and occasional mischievousness) through his books and TV appearances. Bruce has appeared on NBC, CBS, ABC News, FOX News, MSNBC, The Rachael Ray Show, NPR, Sirius, and numerous other programs, and has been featured in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, the New York P ...more
More about Bruce Littlefield...