Start by marking “How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How Great Women Lead: ...

Bonnie St. John

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In boardrooms and lecture halls, on the field and at home, strong female leaders are making a statement around the globe. In HOW GREAT WOMEN LEAD Bonnie St. John and her teenage daughter, Darcy Deane, explore the qualities that motivate some of the world's most powerful women. Through engaging, out-of-the-spotlight interchanges, the authors discover commonly held values, b ...more
ebook
Published April 24th 2012 by Center Street

To ask other readers questions about How Great Women Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Great Women Lead

Jun
I was quite disappointed. If the book is titled or described as a mother-daughter journey interviewing great women leaders, it would have been more accurate. There are golden nuggets in this book, but the fluffs are just too distracting and frustrating to weed through. If you really want to know Bonnie and her daughter's work experience together, this would be a good read. Well, the title is just too misleading.
Ima
Oct 17, 2012 Ima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book would have been better as two volumes: 1. the interviews of the women leaders and 2. the journal of the authors. The first would have been an interesting read, the second was a tedious endurance test that caused me to set it aside many times.
Thanks to First Reads for my copy.
Vivian
Mar 14, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
At first I wondered how I was ever going to sift through the chat and get to the pith in the limited amount of time I had to give this book. Here's the deal -- Bonnie (the mom) persuades Darcy (her teenage daughter) to create with her a list of notable women who they could interview and then hold them up as role models for women (young or old) in understanding, developing, and sharing leadership qualities.

When they notified their large circle of acquaintances of their plans, seeking suggestions
Casey
May 07, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I received this book free from a First Reads giveaway, and I'm so glad!

This is just a terrific book. It's such an inspiring journey that is relevant to women of all ages, thanks in part to the range of featured women, and to Darcy Deane, the teenaged co-author. Actually seeing (well, reading) Deane's stereotyped views of women in power challenged and seeing her become influenced by these great women is an experience I think young woman will relate to and older woman will recognize either in them
Vonetta
Nov 20, 2013 Vonetta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a couple reviewers noted, the primary reason for why you picked up this book -- getting tips and stories about how great women lead -- gets lost in the wash of the authors' stories about how they got the interviews. St. John talks a lot about being the first Black woman to win Olympic medals in ski racing despite having her leg amputated when she was five. She also talks about the complexities of her daughter's life, since her daughter looks white. And we get unnecessary details about how wel ...more
Karen
Aug 28, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. I enjoyed the shared Mother/Daughter experience. Seemed a little long and I found myself skimming over some pages. The same thread of belief, value, determination was repeated. It is not really what/who you lead but who/what you are.
Elise Johnson
Sep 20, 2012 Elise Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I think all women should read it. Fabulous insights on leading people and doing the best you can.
Melanie
Jul 09, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book at my college orientation. I had never heard of Bonnie St. John or the book, but since I am passionate about leadership (and will have the opportunity to meet Ms. St. John at the Women's Leadership Conference at my school in September) I immediately set about reading "How Great Women Lead". What I found was a brilliant, inspiring, and intriguing look into the lives of two women (Ms. St. John and her daughter and co-author Darcy) combined with fascinating glimpses i ...more
Blaine
Jul 19, 2016 Blaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The interviews were really interesting. The mother-daughter journey...not so much.
Dawn
Interesting information about viewpoints about leadership from those in leadership positions.
Brooke
I enjoyed the "behind the scenes" mother/daughter dialogue most of all in this book that focuses on the thoughts of over 20 prominent (and a few not-so-prominent) female leaders on the topic of leadership.
Kristin Smith
I saw Bonnie St. John speak as a keynote and was fantastic! I was excited to read her book. It was a good read, but I enjoyed her talk more. The interviews were interesting but the book moved slowly to fill in details of their adventure. It would be an amazing adventure but it was just slow to read if you weren't the one on the journey.
Heather
May 31, 2012 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Overall this was a very good book!I can honestly say I learned so very much from this. At this stage in my life I can't apply much, but maybe I will be able to later. I will definitely keep this to reread at a later date and would recommend almost all college and high school girls read this.
Kim Mccollom
Jul 03, 2012 Kim Mccollom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, and I probably liked it so much because I also saw her speak. What a tremendous idea to take your teen daughter on a journey around the world to meet with great women leaders! Their stories are inspiring, and not always in the way you think they will be. Enjoy!
Allie
Sep 09, 2013 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting selection of interviewees - I loved the diversity of the women featured. The tag-teamed dialogue between mother and daughter occasionally veered toward over-bearing and cheesy, but the quality of the interviews redeemed that part.
Cathy Doyle
The interviewing with your teenaged daughter is an interesting angle and the child seems to have had an interesting education that prepared her to take advantage of this opportunity. Comments by the women involved were interesting.
Zoomis
Zoomis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Angel
Angel rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Annette Jussaume
Annette Jussaume is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Ms Amanda Cullen
Ms Amanda Cullen rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Atalie
Atalie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jennifer Lee
Jennifer Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Elia
Elia rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
V.G.
V.G. marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way
  • Jeremy Lin: The Reason for the Linsanity
  • The Handoff: A Memoir of Two Guys, Sports, and Friendship
  • A Life That Matters: Transforming Faces, Renewing Lives
  • Be Fearless: Change Your Life in 28 Days
  • Once Upon a Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for Redemption
  • The Geography of Memory: A Pilgrimage Through Alzheimer's
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses
  • I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • The Soul of It All: My Music, My Life
  • The Perfect Gentleman: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
  • Letters to a Young Feminist
  • Mogul, Mom, & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman
Bonnie St. John is one of the nation's leading inspirational speakers and has been featured on the Today Show, Montel Wiliams, CNN, Good Morning America, as well as People magazine, the New York Times, Essence, and many others. Despite the amputation of her leg at age five, she became a silver and bronze medalist in downhill skiing in the 1984 Paralympics at Innsbruck, Austria. She went on to grad ...more
More about Bonnie St. John...