Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words

Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  22 reviews

ebook
Published February 2nd 2012 by FaithWords (first published January 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Saying It Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saying It Well

Tim Chavel
Charles Swindoll is one of my favorite Bible teachers. In this book he explains, encourages, and give many valuable tips on speaking. The book is written to help pastors prepare and deliver a sermon, however the principles can apply to any public speaker and speech. I trust the quotes from below from this book will be a blessing to you.

God gave you your makeup and superintended every moment of your past, including all the hardship, pain, and struggles, He wants to use your words in a unique mann...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Public speaking is considered to be most people's biggest fears. Have you ever considered if there might be a simple way to get over the fear? I know I used to fear public speaking and even now know that perhaps I could easily improve on what I am talking about in order to make me a more efficient and well-liked public speaker.

In the novel, Saying It Well by Charles Swindoll, he walks you through how he has become a confident, successful and capable communicator through his step-by-step process....more
Peter B.

"I am convinced that 'saying it well' begins with 'living it well.'" (p. 257-258)
Harold Cameron
“Touching Others With Your Words”

“Bestselling author and master communicator Charles Swindoll has been effectively speaking to others for over fifty years. In SAYING IT WELL: Touching Others With Your Words he shares his secrets on how to talk so people will listen.

Filled with techniques, stories, and models that clearly explain the formulas for successful speaking, Swindoll teaches readers the foundational principles for how to communicate, from preparing for a speech, organizing thoughts, and...more
Rachel
My reason for borrowing this book from the library was:

1. I have been greatly encouraged by the author's writings this year. He truly is an effective storyteller of life and communicator of God's Word, and is now one of my FAVOURITE nonfiction author's!

2. In the last year, I've felt God calling me to write, only, I often feel lost in trying to share what I have to say in a clear and concise manner. Just reading a few things about this book intrigued me to check it out. I was not disappointed!

Th...more
Gail Welborn
***A must read for anyone who speaks in public!***

After almost five decades of “…speaking, teaching and preaching…” bestselling author, preacher and communicator, Charles Swindoll penned “Saying it well,” an extraordinary book that teaches how to touch “…others with your words.”

Using himself as an example he begins a first-person account of how to learn your particular speaking “style,” what Swindoll calls “…your own put together…” A phrase his dad used to describe the need to be you when you s...more
Rex
I have been a fan of Chuck Swindoll's preaching for over 30 years. I have found his approach to be refreshing and candid. When I found out that he had written a book about his process in building sermons, I just had to read it. I found this book to be more than a book about sermon preparation, it was also a book on how to live your ministry. In this book you get a look at Swindoll's life and ministry, including his failures as well as his successes. I would highly recommend this book to anyone i...more
Katie
I really enjoyed reading Chuck Swindoll's new book. I found it to be very informative & encouraging. I have been listening to his radio broadcasts for a long time now & I love his messages. From hearing him speak I would have never guessed that he ever suffered from a stuttering problem in his lifetime. His book is very interesting because he gives the reader a background of his life & how he came into the ministry field. I believe his advice is right on & that every speaker shou...more
Dottie Parish
Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words by Charles H. Swindoll, is a delightful and practical book. Though the book details the ins and outs of preparing and giving sermons, much of the content is also applicable to other types of talks. Swindoll, a well known and beloved pastor and speaker, shares the specifics of his own preparation and delivery of sermons over 40 years, along with stories from his journey as a pastor. This is a valuable resource for all aspiring speakers who want to l...more
Shelly Watkins
Adding this to my reference shelf. Not a "how to", rather a "how to progress towards" while staying true to one's self.
Keith Davis
More than a book on public speaking, it's a book on successful living and finding your "calling" in life. I found it to be a wonderful book with an inspiring message—and useful for practical application.
Jack Carver
The author's practical advice in the area of public speaking are familiar to this reader. What makes the book unique is how the author peppers his advice with biographical information and real life lessons that shapehis principles for living up to the title. Nice hands-on approach with the author's story to bring light to his principles.
Hank Pharis
I would have never guessed that I would like Swindoll's book on preaching better
than any of his books. He has some good suggestions on preaching
but what is most powerful is his autobiographical stories about his
life and ministry AND his emphasis on authenticity.
Michael O'Neal
Thoughtful book on preaching by Swindoll, however it was a little dry at times. This book could have been overly technical making it a laborious read, but Swindoll creatively used interesting illustrations to demonstrate many of his points.
Doug Sullivan
Tremendous resource. Swindoll is the master of illustrations, but they overshadow his craft honed over the years of delivering hard-hitting, Spirit-led messages. Very helpful insights that put character and authenticity ahead of mechanics.
Nate
Good book on preaching, speaking etc. compared to other books on speaking and preaching this pales in comparison. I would stick with Preaching and Preachers by Martyn Lloyd-Jones or Lectures to my Students by Charles Spurgeon.
Milton Moon Louie
It kind of like a little autobiography. But his points are to be yourself and work hard on preparation for the sermon. What I got out of this is be authentic - be yourself. B
Eric
Like having coffee with a mentor. Practical, meaningful, and inspirational. I found it interesting that you can see him using his principles in the writing of his book.
Brandon Meeks
Some parts were extremely helpful offering much practical advice. That's what we expect when we read or listen to Chuck.
Chuck Mencke
This is a wonderful book full of insight on how you can learn to best express yourself in front of the public.
Won in a Good Reads Giveaway.
Inta
Inta marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Danielle Lynn
Danielle Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jordan Shouse
Jordan Shouse marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Del Parsons
Del Parsons marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)