Start by marking “Believing It All: What My Children Taught Me About Trout Fishing, Jelly Toast, and Life” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Believing It All: What...

Marc Parent

The acclaimed book in which a natural-born storyteller relays the vital lessons and inspiration he has drawn from life's most perfect teachers: children.
ebook
Published May 23rd 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Believing It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believing It All

Topmar
Jan 30, 2009 Topmar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those reads that begs me to mix metaphors: the cat's meow, apple of my eye, bees' knees (and do bees really have knees? or do wasps?)... A find from my little library down the street. Even my snooty English grad school pal had to admit the writing is superior.

A must for anyone out there with kids.

(P.S. I prefer the original subtitle of what must be the first hard cover edition. It's "What my children taught me about trout fishing, jelly toast, and life".)
Susan  Thompson
Oct 20, 2009 Susan Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved this book! Poignant and beautifully written, this is the story of a stay-at-home / writer dad and his two young boys.
Sharon
Feb 26, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a stay at home father about the lessons learned from his 2 preschool boys, I found this to be a sweet and loving book The author's statement that child abuse arises out of self-hatred, something I had not considered before although, once pointed out seems quite clear. The fact that the author feels his children have taught him to be a better person by seeing him as the important and best person in their lives,is very touching. The fact that Mr. Parent plans to use this lesson as a way ...more
Robyn
Aug 13, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book written by a stay at home dad about the lessons his children teach him. He hits the nail on the head and it's really nice to see it from a fathers perspective. Always a good reminder to be present in the now with your children. They don't wait for no one.
Anna- Lesa
It was good, but a little corny too. I'm not gonna lie, I cried a few times, but overall exactly what you would expect.
I also thought the author focused on his oldest child way more than the little guy!
Erika
Oct 29, 2008 Erika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents--especially of boys
Recommended to Erika by: My nieghbor - a parent of two boys!
As a parent of two young boys, I really enjoyed this. Marc Parent is a beautiful writer and nails many of the emotions that come along with parenthood on the head!
sleeps9hours
Jul 31, 2008 sleeps9hours rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this reflection on parenthood by an insightful father.
Heather
Oct 14, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, books-i-own
A quiet little series of reflections from a stay at home dad living with his two little sons on a rural area, trying to make sense of life and find wisdom in their childhood. Quick read.
Shawna Prather
Mar 03, 2008 Shawna Prather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anybody with kids..kinda makes you think about the stuff that is really important like mud puddles and comes from a realistic perspective
Joan
Oct 15, 2010 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thought fodder.
Kallie
Sep 10, 2009 Kallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book. The way the author described things about life really resonated with me.
Lisa Burtt
Apr 08, 2009 Lisa Burtt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little book about a stay-at-home dad - very cute!
Mary
Mar 19, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I've given it away to friends who are parents. It's warm and thoughtful and hilarious.
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2009
Diana Puffer
Diana Puffer rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Mimi
Mimi rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Jjsheffer
Jjsheffer rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2009
Hollie
Hollie rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Cat.
Dec 13, 2012 Cat. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
The joys of fatherhood as told by a stay-at-home dad.
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Vonny
Vonny rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Deanna Sutphin
Deanna Sutphin rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Jack Templeton
Jack Templeton rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Jesher
Jesher rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2008
shannon
shannon rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Alisa
Alisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2009
Winna
Winna rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Nur Sakeenah Omar
Nur Sakeenah Omar rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Falling as deeply in love with as many people, places, and things as you possibly can -- that's the best revenge on the unjust brevity of this fragile life.” 15 likes
“In the end, it's not what we keep our children from that will save them. It's what we put into them in the first place.” 11 likes