Start by marking “How We Got Here: A Slightly Irreverent History of Technology and Markets” as Want to Read:
How We Got Here: A Slightly Irreverent History of Technology and Markets

How We Got Here: A Slightly Irreverent History of Technology and Markets

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Best-selling author Andy Kessler ties up the loose ends from his provocative book, Running Money, with this history of breakthrough technology and the markets that funded them.

Expanding on themes first raised in his tour de force, Running Money, Andy Kessler unpacks the entire history of Silicon Valley and Wall Street, from the Industrial Revolution to computers, communica
Published June 14th 2005 by HarperBusiness

To ask other readers questions about How We Got Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Got Here

Mark Speed
Feb 19, 2014 Mark Speed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
As the subtitle says - it's a slightly irreverent history of technology and markets. If you're fairly well-read you probably could have written this book yourself after a bit of Wiki-surfing. (Or at least I know I could have... Just kicking myself for not having done so.) But that's not the point. This is the kind of book that does the Wiki-surfing for you, in a readable and logical way. There are some new and interesting facts and connections I'd not quite appreciated. I'd not realised that the ...more
Jani-Petri
Jul 14, 2012 Jani-Petri rated it it was ok

Some interesting chapters, but overall the book is an editing mess. Weirdly disconnected chapters and sometimes I got a feeling that I am reading something that was intended as a script for some TV series. Last part of the book seemed to be there mainly for autobiographical reasons. You are better off just reading the first 100 pages or so.
Christopher Obert
Apr 27, 2010 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
I really liked this book, it was good, but it could have been much better. The author does a good job telling the story of technology and the stock markets but I think that better editing could have made this book great. To be fair, the subject matter was complex, and to me very interesting, but it did not flow as well as it could have. The author has had many careers and felt that the book should have some humor in it (and I agree) but he is not a stand-up comic and the book could have used les ...more
Brad Johnson
May 25, 2013 Brad Johnson rated it really liked it
An insightful look at the process of technological development from the perspective of a tech investor. Kessler really seems to understand the difference between historical narrative and the "generator of history" (as NNT puts it) - he plunges into the non-linear path of historical progression without the usual false inevitability implied by standard historical narrative. This really impressed me with the value of tangible risk taking in sharpening critical thinking - Kessler is used to having " ...more
David
Feb 06, 2016 David rated it liked it
Useful high-level, story-driven accounts of symbiotic evolution between computational devices and capital markets starting with the Industrial Revolution.
Liras
Jan 13, 2011 Liras rated it really liked it
A quick read. I liked the way he tied in history with markets and how technology not only fueled growth but eventually became the thing that propelled us forward. Money, technology, trading, markets--all go hand in hand and are extremely reliant upon each other.

The only one of Mr. Kessler's book I have read, although I am familiar with his others via book reviews and the news.
Adam Boisvert
Jan 06, 2009 Adam Boisvert rated it it was amazing
What the field of economic history needs, in my humble opinion, is more irreverence. Some people are experts in the history of economic growth, other people are experts in the history of technological growth, and the few people that are experts on both tend to take themselves entirally to seriously. Kessler at least provides an informative and entertaining introduction to the subject.
Jim
Aug 30, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it
I love this book. It's one of those books that, with good humor, provides some great 'threads' of innovation that have colored the movements and growth of technology and markets. As it suggests, it is slightly irreverent, which makes it all the more fun. Andy Kessler is a solid author who's style I find to be well flowing and quite enjoyable.
Benjamin
Jun 05, 2010 Benjamin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
calles itself an "irreverant history." in the end its about how technology and market forces join forces: free markets bring funding for tech, tech brings more freedom to markets.
Farmingkat
Jul 04, 2010 Farmingkat rated it it was amazing
Andy's best book. A very complicated yet straight analysis on the history of technology, and how event in the old days can still have relevance in today world
Neal Barker
Excellent introduction to the history of technology and the markets and their eventual meshing.
Martin Linkov
Nov 07, 2010 Martin Linkov is currently reading it
Shelves: bizna
Kessler has an unique style. Writting about complex things in an easy and engaging way!
Ram
May 19, 2011 Ram rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook
A good read about technology and stock markets
Ming
Jan 28, 2009 Ming rated it liked it
nice economic/technological history from a former technology hedge fund manager. irreverent indeed but fun and quick to read.
Daniel Zahn
Daniel Zahn rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Louise Barton
Louise Barton marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Vitaly
Vitaly rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Bachelor Selvam
Bachelor Selvam rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
David
David added it
Jun 06, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ricardo Silvarolli Korall
Ricardo Silvarolli Korall rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Jean-louis Brunet
Jean-louis Brunet rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Warren Butler
Warren Butler is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Bing Gordon
Bing Gordon marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Mdillard
Mdillard marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Tony Tsang
Tony Tsang rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2016
Davidinhongkong
Davidinhongkong marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Mark Wessner
Mark Wessner rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wall Street: How It Works and for Whom
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • What It Means to Be 98% Chimpanzee: Apes, People, and Their Genes
  • User Interface Design for Programmers
  • The Dogma of Christ & Other Essays on Religion, Psychology & Culture
  • The Madoff Chronicles: Inside the Secret World of Bernie and Ruth
  • Ambling Into History: The Unlikely Odyssey of George W. Bush
Andy Kessler is an investor, author and businessman.

Andy Kessler has worked for about 20 years as a research analyst, investment banker, venture capitalist, and hedge fund manager. He was also the Co-founder and President of Velocity Capital Management, an investment firm based in Palo Alto, California, United States.

He has written forThe Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Wired, Forbes, The
More about Andy Kessler...