Start by marking “Weg ohne Weiser” as Want to Read:
Weg ohne Weiser

Weg ohne Weiser

Edmund Carr is at sea in more ways than one. An eminent journalist, he has recently discovered he has only a short time to live. Leaving his job, he takes passage on a cruise ship where he knows that Laura, the beautiful and intelligent widow whom he secretly admires, will be a fellow passenger. Exhilarated by the remote vista of exotic islands never to be visited and his ...more
Published January 1st 1987 by Fischer (Tb.), Frankfurt (first published January 1st 1961)

Mariel
Jul 01, 2013 Mariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no tombstones in the sea
Recommended to Mariel by: Virginia Woolf
She little knows what it means to 'the other Edmund' to let himself go and talk to her. The other Edmund has never had such a friend.

I couldn't find again the passage I really wanted. It really said what it means to me to have this and write what I think about, what matters to me, here on goodreads (and in the imaginary in the head conversations). The little magic space of books and dream it more than one place. It might matter to someone else to know about it too. If you never imagined that oth
Rebecca Foster
(3.5) My second taste of Sackville-West’s fiction (after All Passion Spent). It was her last novel, published just one year before her death, and was inspired by world cruises she and her husband, Harold Nicolson, took in later life. She was at this point already ill with the cancer that would kill her, though it was as yet undiagnosed.

That context goes a long way towards explaining the preoccupations of No Signposts, set on board a cruise ship and narrated by fifty-year-old Edmund Carr, a journ
Nov 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still quite fond of Vita. I'm still not quite at home with her. I still can't explain just why that is!

And, once again, her book was not at all what I expected! I knew it was about a terminally ill man who chooses to spend his final months on a sea voyage with the woman he (secretly) loves. Reading this, I envisioned frothy, blue prose, a pale, expansive wistfulness. A touch of restlessness. A touch of sensuality. A touch of aristocracy. And, in a way, it is those things. But this is a far m
Maria Ch
Oct 29, 2015 Maria Ch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Edmund is a journalist who finds out that he has a short time to live due to a terminal disease and decides to spend his remaining time on a journey at sea with a woman he likes Laura. The narrative is in fact his narrative, his stream of thought in regards to the object of his affection. Initially the writing is more general, varying between observations and convictions, going as fas as aphorisms on life as the author ponders on different issues like life, love, happiness. Edmund is a self proc
Siria
A slight little thing, more novella than novel, No signposts in the sea strives very hard to achieve memorability, but just about reaches mediocrity. There are flashes of beauty in the prose, but they don't make up for the deficiencies of characterisation and plot.
Ali
Jan 26, 2017 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vita and her husband; Harold Nicolson and their friend Edie Lamont – to whom the novel is dedicated, set sail on a cruise of the West Indies and South America in 1959. Vita and Harold had enjoyed cruise life before, yet on this last, sad voyage Vita began writing No Signposts… a novel about dying, unrequited love and how life should be grabbed at with both hands. The novel feels beautifully intimate, bound up as it is life, love, death and travel.

The novel is also shot through with extracts of p
Kathrine
Jan 07, 2012 Kathrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel is a meditation on life, love, what motivates human beings and contains real insight into the ideas of nature vs progress, the limitations of materialism etc - all very relevant to today, amazingly so.
Very philosophical, beautifully written and a joy to read. I think this is the best Vita Sackville-West have written.
Mary
Aug 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely novella.
A re-read for me!
Edmund Carr, when he learns he hasn't long to live takes a passage on board a ship where he knows that Laura, a beautiful and intelligent widow whom he secretly admires is a fellow passenger.
I loved it even if it did have a sad ending!
Ellen
Sep 14, 2015 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I had met Edmund Carr on a cruise, I would have abandoned ship at first port of call.
Chrystal
Nov 29, 2014 Chrystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Who wants to read a boring book about a jealous man mooning about on a cruise ship for three weeks? So dumb.
Tiah
- Is it any more extraordinary than the things that people will say to one in railway carriages? That their husbands beat them, for instance, or that their son is in prison for forging a cheque. -

- She certainly has the gift of involuntarily drawing people out. I taxed her with fraudulence, for although, as she says, she is interested, it is in a very detached way. -

- The average reader skims; he does not pause to observe what you, Laura, rightly called the pattern. He does not weigh, as the a
Debra
Aug 25, 2008 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book because the topic intrigued me - a foreign policy columnist from England, recently diagnosed with some sort of fatal condition that could kill him at any time, traveling on a cruise ship in order to get closer to the object of his affections. The main character was kind of cliched, I thought, and the woman he's obsessed with was also very one-dimensional. But the author's observations about human interaction were on target; I liked when she went off on tangents more t ...more
Susan
Feb 17, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
on her craft"The most egotistic of occupations,and the most gratifying while it lasts... and to live in the perusasion that one is doing something worthwhile.Because of course one must hold on to that conviction, or one wouldn't go on. Luckly a writers powers of self delusion are limitless, and oh the smugness of feeling that one has done a good day's work!' p59 There is more that she has to say-- on love ,jealousy, and ocean travelwhich should make this a must read for those of us of a certain ...more
Alaina
May 04, 2010 Alaina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I couldn't shake the feeling throughout reading this book that the author was caught up in aging self-absorption as she wrote. It reinforces a suspicion I have that post-middle age sometimes becomes a sort of second adolescence.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed discussion of the end of life. I sympathized with Edmund, even though he behaved foolishly throughout the story, which is perhaps testament to the good qualities of the author. Surely Virginia loved her for a good reason.
Liz Polding
Apr 06, 2015 Liz Polding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A love reciprocated, but never expressed, this is a sad story of two people for whom it is all too late. The story has a gentle resonance and somehow manages to be strong enough to hold up the weight of the many social theories that the author puts into her characters' mouths. Do real people talk like that? Not really, but it scarcely matters. The ideas are interesting, the book is strong enough to take them. Cerebral and rather touching.
Christopher Sanderson
It took a little while for me to get going, i don't know why, maybe because i have never been on a cruise. But i did get going, for I do share all the doubts the fears, the love, the jealousy, the self introspection which flows throughout this book. It is true some books you don't want to end, this was one of those books.
Jean
Mar 17, 2012 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely small novel. Although I didn't really warm up to the main character, Edmund Carr, I loved the uncredited quotes sprinkled throughout the novel and the descriptions of places visited. This would be a wonderful book for those who cruise to take along to read out loud to one's partner.
Sophie Wainwright
May 08, 2013 Sophie Wainwright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the slow and sure pace of this book and it's elegant structure. The written style and composition suited the simplicity of the story and the fact that from the start, you know how it will end. Reading about the final days of Edmund's life, there is a sense of inevitablity and a continual inherent sadness which is very moving.
Lauren Strickland
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Beautifully written but the ending was a foregone conclusion . But I would have loved to have had the opportunity to travel the seas in a tramp steamer like these two did for months on end, well maybe weeks on end..
David Vanness
Jun 02, 2012 David Vanness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
My edition is 144 page hardback. I found this very enjoyable. Now I'm looking forward to some of her other works. Any suggestions ?
Kay
Apr 09, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up by accident but found it a very enjoyable read and a fascinating view of relationships in the light of "Portrait of a Marriage".
Rasma
Apr 12, 2014 Rasma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming moments, reminiscent of Daddy Longlegs, a rather cliche ending but all endings are, ahem, in the end.
Deb
I had forgotten that I had read this.
Victoria
Sep 08, 2014 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
maybe one of her best; so spare and nuanced; not an ounce of flab here--just a perfectly constructed arc that ends in a sheer cliff face. Perfect.
Natalie Ray
Jul 24, 2016 Natalie Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grant freely that this is not great literature, but I was unexpectedly moved by it, and I think it's one of those stories that I'll carry with me.
Myrthel
Although the story did not reach the same level as other novels I read by her I do love her clear open and somehow spacious way of writing.
Leah
May 18, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wanted to draw out the reading of this book as long as i could; the beauty of Sackville-West's prose drew me in and made me want to stay with it for as long as i could.
Kimberly
Jun 09, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short. Not very sweet.
Stephen AB
May 16, 2017 Stephen AB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A grim depressing tale.

A fifty year old man, on being told he has months to live, follows aboard a world cruise a woman he secretly loves, to her surprise; he then sets to rationalizing his secretiveness to himself - of love, life and approaching death, wrenching himself in knots. Some spoilers follow...

He has been essentially rootless, homeless, loveless, all his life - but also lacking in much self awareness, despite thinking, as a man of the world, a realist, he's on top of everything (yes, a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • The Corner That Held Them
  • The Skin Chairs
  • One Fine Day
  • Salem Chapel (Chronicles of Carlingford, #3)
  • The New House
  • The Lost Traveller
  • Miss Mole
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
  • The Wedding Group
Vita Sackville-West was a prolific author, poet and memoirist in early 20th-Century Britain who is known not only for her writing, but for her not-so-private, private life. While married to the diplomat Harold Nicolson, she conducted a series of scandalous amorous liaisons with many women, including the brilliant Virginia Woolf. They had an open marriage. Both Sackville-West and her husband had sa ...more
More about Vita Sackville-West...