Start by marking “Blessed Are the Cheesemakers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Blessed Are the Cheese...

Sarah-Kate Lynch

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,360 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
Set on a small Irish dairy farm, this tender and funny debut novel follows two lost souls as they try to carve out new lives amid a colorful cast of characters reminiscent of those in the hit film Waking Ned Divine. Abby has been estranged from the family farm since her rebellious mother ran off with her when she was a small child. Kit is a burned out New York stockbroker ...more
ebook
Published May 5th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Dorothyanne Brown
Mar 20, 2011 Dorothyanne Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To give full context, I'm in the middle of a move, tied up with family concerns, and otherwise surviving the end of a particularly nasty winter. I kept this book out of the packed file because I planned to read it and leave it behind.
Within the first few pages, I realized that there was no way I could do that. I have to keep this sweet, loveable book nearby. The magical cheese farm of the Josephs Corrigan and Feehan, with its gaggle of singing pregnant milkmaids and cows that milk best to the S
CMT325
May 02, 2008 CMT325 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheese lovers, unite! I eat cheese everyday, so the title drew me in. One thing I found charming was how, in the beginning, the cheese was personified as an angry female who was offended at being left in the fridge to rot. This is just one of the odd/fun ways of writing in Lynch's novel. Another neat thing were the "quotes" on the art of cheesemaking. For example, I never thought about how good cheese needs to come from good grass(the cow's food) ... and even the rain, sun, and time effect the c ...more
Erinn
Mar 19, 2008 Erinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So worth reading, I can't tell you !
Every now and then I think to myself 'I wish I were a cheesemaker...'
Quirky tale of the love inherent in making good cheese and the redemption and reclamation of young women gone 'awry'.
Perhaps it doesn't deserve a 5 star, but I give it that because of the delightful old men that put their love and patience and energy into ripening their cheese...
Laugh out loud funny. Sweet and memorable, the taste lingers in my memory still.
Eva
Oct 28, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of a Maeve Binchy novel. It is a tender tale of redemption and second chances. Deep in County Cork, Joseph Corrigan (Corry) and Joseph Feehan (Fee) make small batches of world famous cheese. Their two families have worked together for many generations, one family providing the milk and the other, the cheese making genius. When we first meet the old boys, they are interviewing for a new dairymaid. Her qualifications must be that she can carry a tune, has short fingernails, a ...more
Martha
May 29, 2008 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vacationers and beach bums
If I could give it 2 and 1/2 stars, I would. Not particularly well-written or all that funny. It was cute. By no means was it a deep and thoughtful romance. It was on the level with Danielle Steele novels (both in story content and complexity of read) versus Anita Shreve. I give it 3 stars because it's fun, quick and perfect for the summer. Those of you who have read my reviews know that I am totally into mindless "chick-lit" right now and this was perfect for me with one personal exception whic ...more
Barbara
Aug 19, 2014 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I thought it was a cute, easy summer read. At about page 230 it got really weird, and although I wanted to find out how it ended, I really didn't like it.

This reminded me of a bad "Lifetime made for TV movie."
Michelle
(3.5 stars) Three stories come together in an Irish dairy farm. Corrie and Fee are the elderly cheesemakers, who are desperate to find the next generation before it is too late. Their operation is a labor of love, with many quirks, including pregnant, vegetarian milkmaids who milk to the Sound of Music. Abbey is the granddaughter who was taken away from the farm by her mother, and after marrying at a young age, she lives on a Pacific Island with her husband who is obsessed with irrigation. When ...more
Jamie Gough
Apr 14, 2012 Jamie Gough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blessed Are the Cheesemakers is a fun, cozy read. It’s very easy to get into, and has many likeable characters.

Set primarily in Ireland, the story has elements of magical realism, such as an old cheesemaker with the ability to see into the future, and cheeses with magical attributes.

I really enjoyed the narrator’s voice. You can almost hear a warm smile in her words as she unfolds the story. Although this book addresses some heavy issues (such as alcoholism, adultery and even death), there is
Momruns5
Oct 14, 2009 Momruns5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good fast read. Not a deep thinking book, but a really sweet and surprisingly funny romance, but not just a romance and not a sickingly sweet romance. I laughed out loud a few times. Fee was my favorite character. I want to try some good cheese now. My tastes are really low. Cache Valley cheese is my premier.

Abby has been estranged from the family farm since her rebellious mother ran off with her when she was a small child. Kit is a burned out New York stockbroker who's down on his luck.
Jenny
Apr 10, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This charming story of two old British cheesemakers weaves together the lives of several interesting folks with varying degrees of brokenness in their lives. It was silly, romantic, and heartwarming. Fine holiday-at-Ocean-Shores fun reading.
Lynn
Sep 21, 2008 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun. I think if I were British - or Irish - or Australian - or something - I would have given it another star. The colloquialisms kind of threw me for a loop -trying to figure out how we might say the same thing here in America. The idea - a dairy farm in Ireland that crafts sublime cheese made using milk gathered by pregnant vegetarian young women from cows all named Maria, and the characters including a psychic old man and a farm full of quirky characters- calls Alice Hoffman to mind ...more
Lanette
Cute, quirky characters. Didn't love it as much as "The Wedding Bees" but I enjoy her ability to infuse magical bits into the story-line (much like my favorite author, Sarah Addison Allen.)
Kris - My Novelesque Life
.5 STARS

"Blessed are Corrie and Fee, for theirs is the kingdom of the world's tastiest farmhouse cheese. Tucked away in a corner of Ireland, the lifelong friends turn out batch after batch of perfect Coolarney Blues and Golds, thanks to co-operative cows, non-meat-eating fecund milkmaids, and the wind blowing just so in the right direction. Add to this mixture Corrie's long-lost granddaughter Abbey, fresh from a remote but by no means backward island where her husband has been on a mission - alt
MyACPL Athens County Public Libraries
from James:

This book is sort of a cozy read that uses a lot of cussing. It's funny in parts and touching in others. Lynch is a fine storyteller and I can easily see why others would give "Blessed Are the Cheesemakers" 4 or even 5 stars. It's sweet in a gruff way and lines up easily with current popular books like "The Storied Life of AJ Fikry." That said, I found it too predictable and somewhat dated. And it has a terrible, terrible cover.

The basic story is of two aged fellows who are renowned f
Kimberly
Nov 21, 2008 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Former Irish tourists, cheese lovers, and people needing a sense of family
Recommended to Kimberly by: Dixie
This book was, at the risk of sounding cliche, magical. I would have read it just for the way the dialogue is written in a blatant Irish accent. The relationship between the two cheesemakers and their little "family" is so tender. The ending actually produced blurry vision; I was surprised to find myself crying. And the ill will they harbor for their pasteurizer, Old Fart Arse, made me chuckle a few times. If you're sensitive to graphic sexual references, though, I'd skip this book.
Jenny
Aug 26, 2014 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was fine, I guess? I liked aspects of it, and I definitely want to vacation at the farm, but there were also some issues with it. The tone is a little uneven--the author appears to be going for a kind of Sarah Addison Allen, magical romance kind of vibe, but there is a ton of profanity (usually delightfully delivered in an Irish accent) and there are a few pretty graphic scenes where two characters almost (but don't quite) have sex. Of course, when they finally do consummate their passion, ...more
Eric
Dec 11, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The only reason I picked up this book was the title. It's one of the few lines that I quote from "Life of Brian" regularly, probably far too frequently as we walk down the cheese aisle at the grocery store. So I loved it that someone used it as the title of a book. And the book has exactly the sort of serious lightness you'd expect out of using a quote from "Life of Brian". The only weakness is that the how to make cheese parts got perhaps a bit dry. I knew, pretty much right from the start, whe ...more
Lauredhel
Feb 18, 2016 Lauredhel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure none of my friends could ever have guessed that a quirky magical-realist fluffy-with-dark-edges cheesemaking romance would be right up my alley. None at all.
Sandy Lenahan
This was just what I needed after all the heavy drama material I've been reading and listening to. This sweet, funny lighthearted dramady was like a little Irish rainbow in a Debbie Downer downpour : )

Told from many POV's Blessed are the Cheese Makers is reminiscent of Mauve Binchy's later works and it's just as good though some bits are a little darker than Binchy's work.
Sue
Aug 25, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the Irish dialect and the great local characters. I loved the idead of such a place and such people. I have been reading too many 'deep' books lately and this one was refreshing and just plain fun.

I also loved the cheese making. I think it would be a blast to learn how to make cheese.
Isabelle
Ik vond het een leuk boek. Zo vond ik bvb de beschrijving van de kaas die in elk hoofdstuk terugkomen wel fijn. De kaas verwijst feitelijk naar de gemoedstoestand van de persoon die in dat hoofdstuk de hoofdrol speelt. Een voorbeeld: 'Deze prinses had de uiterste verkoopdatum overschreden, en als een adellijke prinses bedierf, was dat een ervaring waarvan de tranen je in de ogen sprongen.Ze lag daar nu al bijna drie maanden in haar vetvrije papier, omhuld door een bruin papieren zakje van Murray ...more
Henry
Jul 20, 2014 Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another pseudomym of Sophie's? What is her real name, I wonder.

This book is zany but fun to read: most events are improbable but add to the plot, just as the events in her Shopaholic do.
Good for some great laughs mixed with sorrow and revenge.
The charactes make the story.
Alison
Jul 11, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and worthwhile read, this book has a bit of everything to offer. I loved the title and premise of this story. Two elderly gentlemen, Joseph Corrigan and Joseph Feehan are owners of a small Irish dairy farm, where they produce wonderful cheese which is do to a lot of different factors, harmony amongst all, a group of vegetarian milkmaids, songs from The Sound of Music, played for the cows....
The group of characters are wonderful, and besides the two owners and the milkmaids are Avis, who ta
Beth Gabor
Dec 17, 2011 Beth Gabor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was so much fun! It is indeed a love story, similar to Chocolat, but the real love story isnt between the two you would suspect. Pick this book up when you want something light and fun and you need a good chuckle.
Kami
Jan 14, 2009 Kami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really enjoyable book. I found myself literally laughing out loud at parts. I listened to the audiobook (unabridged, of course) and thought the narrator was really great - definitely added to the character of the book.
Francesca
Aug 21, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really surprised myself by loving this book. It's sweet and funny and sad and has people that feel completely real, even if their situations are a little bit ridiculous. I didn't particularly enjoy the twist at the end but I suppose the plot needed one final mishap to fit with the theme.

I loved the way it all came together and I usually avoid this sort of thing. My favourite quote is from quite near the end:
What sort of man leaves his wife in the middle of the countryside though? Corrie worr
Melanie
*Listened to the audiobook.*

This was a cute book, and - I think - better suited to listening than reading. It was engaging and different enough to keep me interested, but still accessible and familiar enough to not drag.

The narrator did a good job with the Irish characters, but struggled mightily with the American accents - in particular Kit, whom she regularly managed to have sound like either a bad John Wayne or a whiny teenage pseudo-Irish girl. It was weird, and made it difficult to find him
Kate
May 25, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book this year because I laughed out loud, I cried, and I want to go live with the characters. A very fun, quick read. Thanks for recommending it Karen!
Mary Catherine
May 18, 2010 Mary Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blend a peaceful countryside, understanding people, problems and a little mystery and you have a great book to curl up with and want to finish in one sitting.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely escape read that make me laugh and cry!!
I think it would be a fabulous movie reminiscent of Waking Ned Devine.
  • Pomegranate Soup
  • Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries
  • Bread Alone (Bread Alone, #1)
  • Eating Heaven
  • Starting from Scratch
  • Crescent
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • Francesca's Kitchen
  • Nectar
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • The Ensign - November 2013
  • Beyond Repair
  • The Food of Love
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • The Cook and the Gardener: A Year of Recipes and Notes from the French Countryside
  • Aftertaste: A Novel in Five Courses
  • Spooning
  • Into the Light (sequel to Out of Darkness)
Sarah-Kate Lynch is quite a cranky journalist of several decades who prefers making things up to recording them accurately. This is not very good if you are a journalist, which may explain (a) the crankiness and (b) why she now writes novels.

She also writes two columns in the New Zealand Woman's Day, New Zealand's best-selling weekly magazine. One is about nothing and the other is about travel.

Sar
More about Sarah-Kate Lynch...