Start by marking “The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless” as Want to Read:

The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless (Parasol Protectorate #1-5)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  550 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Ma
Published October 30th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set

m_miriam
Judi
I read this series because the first book was recommended by my daughter, Sarah Easley. I bought the bundle of all five books. I thought the whole series was fun! I love the characters! Alexia is great. So unsure of herself to begin with. Then finds love, a life, adventure, her gift and so much more! Conall finds Alexia and is grounded by her. Ivey eventually finds love and immortality, but never good taste in hats! Tunstell gets a queen. Professor Lyall gets a new love and a new Alpha. Biffy le ...more
Adam
I liked this series.

The characters were fun to hang out with. Some of the concepts were refreshing. I feel like Carriger wrote the books well.

It was just lacking something for me to really, truly love this series. I don't know that I can define exactly what that is.

Maybe it's the fact that I just don't really care all that much about the lavish descriptions of high society in Victorian London. I don't know. The plot twists were well-executed and made sense in the storyline. It was fun to read
Algona Public
This is a really fun read aimed at new adults. Carriger writes traditional steampunk fiction that provides a fascinating twist to Victorian culture. The dialogue is witty without feeling pithy and the author does a great job at establishing mood. My primary complaint about this series is that Carriger falls into exotification, especially Egypt, which I find tired and problematic. That said, the series is populated by engaging characters who are developed well and have compelling interpersonal re ...more
J Shearer
Not sure what to expect, I purchased this set because it was recommended because of other books that I have read and reviewed. I was totally amused by the characters in these books and will miss them now that I have gotten to know them. It is not often that I can say I will miss characters from a book!
While the romance is just part of this book, it is an interesting concept to pair a shape shifter with someone that turns them human whenever they touch. The world they live in is awfully interesti
Heather
Dec 23, 2012 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of victoriana, steampunk, vampire/werewolf, romance
Recommended to Heather by: James Alexander
Shelves: fantasy
Yeah, I did read the whole series, so it did hold me enough. Hey, I like werewolf/shapeshifter stuff.

But...

1.A. I find steampunk annoying. In general. If I could put my finger on why that is, I could then decide whether this book shares any of the blame or whether it's just me. But I don't know yet.

I found the fictional science annoying. I am willing to completely suspend belief for magic/supernatural stuff, but once someone starts to talk "science" I get into a different and more discerning min
Pablo
The Parasol Protectorate - A mix of Gothic and Steampunk story, the 5 books are entertaining and the story has its fun moments, my only issue is the repetitive description of details or the nature of characters, after the first two books I started skipping complete paragraphs, without losing anything of the plot. the whole thing could have been condensed in 2-3 books at the most.

if you are looking for some very light reading, this may be.
Cristina
Mikaela Humphrey
I got this box set because I absolutely loved Gail Carriger's other books like The Finishing School series and was hoping she wouldn't disappoint me with The Parasol Protectorate series. Well she did not disappoint me I absolutely loved these books too!
Doug Lebeau
Well, the books were quite enjoyable. I am not sure how I even found the series, I think because I bought the Winter Witch due to seeing it on the TOR website. However it happened, I am glad that I read the Parasol Protectorate series. It is a pretty fun series, plenty of action, well written characters, a strong independent woman taking the lead, written by a woman, who didn't make the men total idiots; wonderful.

Short tight stories, the Victorian era is well described, particularly the attire.
Bcoghill Coghill
A friend said that I would enjoy this steam-punk novel. She was correct and I have enjoyed it. Nicely paced with interesting characters and good writing. A step above most of the genre.
Stacey
A wonderful light hearted series with all the elements: romance, action, mystery and humor. The stories are engaging and well written. I thoruoghly enloyed them.
Sheri Stebenne
Thick wasted women who enjoy eating !!!!!!! Heroine after my own heart !!!!!!
Robert
I read and reviewed each book individually as I read them.
Soozie Bea
I devour and return for more.

Love it!
Christy
The first book in the series is the best- it brings the SIZZLE. Sadly the sizzle is lost in the following books, the big alpha male relegated to a side-character role (and not even the most interesting at that) - so read the first for the sizzle, but read the rest for the robots. And the hats. And the parasols. And the vampires. But mostly the tea and cakes.

Highly recommend, although I wish the love story and HAWT factor had carried through the rest of the books. I will happily read anything she
Alaina Sloo
Pure fun and supernatural steam punk fantasy series: a smart, plucky heroine in a Victorian London where werewolves and vampires are a (mostly) accepted part of society. (Especially great beach reading: all the gray London weather will make you doubly grateful you're on the beach!) I couldn't help gobbling up this series one after the other. For high school readers and adults, if only because of a few fairly descriptive sex bits.
Caiti.mcelroy
I liked this series quite a lot. The first is too much of a stereotypical romance at times for my taste, but the last four books lighten up on the romance. The plots are well written and interesting and the characters are enjoyable. These were my purse books for about a month and I read them at lunch. Light, good reads. I also really enjoyed the steam punk element of the books; it was well done and very creative.
Sandi
Not terribly remarkable but rather enjoyable all the same.
Gilbert Wilcox
Thoughts that came to mind while reading: Would a transsexual that has been transformed into a supernatural creature ie werewolf or vampire revert to their born sex, the new Form rejecting the hormones and undoing any surgery? Or would the desired sex be established permanently as if a born characteristic? And how would that affect the psychology of the individual?
So glad I stumbled upon this author and this series! Fun, charming and unique with never a dull moment. The author knows how to spin a tale that is outrageous yet believable. Loved each and every character and simply adored Alexia and Conall. Vampires, werewolves, Queen Victoria and dirigibles...what else could you ask for?
Ashley
So this is what it promises - a steampunk-ish, vampire, werewolf, and other supernaturals, romance, mystery series. If you're looking for a good summer read for the beach or pool, this is it. If you're not into steampunk, don't worry, you don't have to be to like this - but it helps if you like the Victorian era.
Sharon
Loved every minute!
Andrea Bennett
Bought this set not knowing anything about it. I'm so very glad that I did! What a fast, fun read.

On a geek-y note - the author has a spectacular vocabulary. It was such a refreshing change of pace to read a book where the vocabulary was as enticing as the story itself!
Monica
Steampunk + mystery + a tad bit of Victorian romance + a whole lot of werewolves, vampires, and tea-drinking. Reading this witty and character-driven series is like peeling a very sweet and satisfying onion. Never a dull moment.
Katherine
I finally wrote a review for the whole series on my post at Bookish Temptations. Check it out here!!

Cassy Harwood
Read the whole series, I could not put it down. The characters had so much personality. Very cute.
Would highlt recommend it to someone looking for a fun, romantic read.
Betsy Norton
The first two books in the series were good, but by the end of the third book things slowed down. I had to put it down for a while. I might come back to it.
Sarah Emily
My partner referred to these as "children's books." They are actually much more in line with a steampunk P.G. Wodehouse, which makes for utterly delightful reading.
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Disenchanted & Co. (Disenchanted & Co., #1)
  • The Chain of Destiny
  • Assumed Engagement
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Darcy's Tale, (Volume I: Into Hertfordshire)
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • Blue Moon Rising (The Patroness, #1)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • 1/2 王子 8 (1/2 Prince, #8)
  • Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
  • Etched (The Etched Tales, #1)
  • A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
Ms. Carriger writes steampunk urbane fantasy comedies of manners to cope with being raised in obscurity by an expatriate Brit and an incurable curmudgeon. She escaped small town life and inadvertently acquired several degrees in Higher Learning. She then traveled the historic cities of Europe, subsisting entirely on biscuits secreted in her handbag. She now resides in the Colonies, surrounded by a ...more
More about Gail Carriger...
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)

“Shame on you! Bad vampire.” 0 likes
“If left together for too long, the two of them might actually take over the civilized world, through sheer application of snide remarks.” 0 likes