Start by marking “2312” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,081 Ratings  ·  1,594 Reviews
The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future.

The first event take
Published May 22nd 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 2312, please sign up.

Alaska The lists were actually what was going on in Swan's mind at the time. They let the reader into Swan's... illustrious past. However, the Extracts were…moreThe lists were actually what was going on in Swan's mind at the time. They let the reader into Swan's... illustrious past. However, the Extracts were harder to figure out.(less)
Jesse I would not re-read 2312 if it was the last book I'd ever read. It's so slow-moving that there's literally 20 pages where two characters walk and…moreI would not re-read 2312 if it was the last book I'd ever read. It's so slow-moving that there's literally 20 pages where two characters walk and whistle. Whistling for 20 pages in a book. The first 40 pages set up a brilliant mystery, then the plot completely ignores this for the rest of the book.(less)

Jeremy
Jul 01, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I'm not actually done, but I couldn't make it through.

I've tried to read Kim Stanley Robinson in the past, and I've managed to plow through. His world building is great, but something about the novels fail to grab me.

This one though, ugh. I made it about 60% through before I could identify the problems. I don't care about the main protagonist AT ALL. She's a 140-something hermaphrodite of Chinese descent that grew up on Mercury (cool, right?), but at her age, she's completely self-absorbed, a
Dan
Apr 13, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read maybe one sci-fi book a year. My barrier to entry is generally the writing itself. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I find that most contemporary sci-fi books - as with most "genre" books - tend to be poorly written, sacrificing craft in favor of the fascinating worlds, etc that they present. So, it's always a pleasant surprise when I encounter a work of sci-fi that's also really well written because I am a bit of a futurist at heart and love to delve into these worlds. (It's not for nothing that S ...more
Graham Crawford
Mar 17, 2013 Graham Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It has an extremely interesting structure that verges on the allegorical. There's an alchemical marriage of Mercury and Saturn, The dynamic of old and emerging structures embedded in the present, three prose styles,- all very clever. A duet of Swan and Frog.

The lovers spin like Pluto and Charon, around the two plot Lagrange points of an endless walk beneath the surface of Mercury, and waiting to be rescued in the blackness of space- two p
Chad Peterman
Sep 08, 2012 Chad Peterman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this book. I really tried. But after fighting to get halfway through this book without even being able to figure out what the plot was, I gave up.

I had read a lot of positive reviews for this book, so I decided to give it a read. Now I wonder if these reviewers read the same book I tried to read. The plot, at least up to the point where I gave up, hadn't progressed (in fact, I don't even know what the plot was). And I really wasn't invested in the characters.

Now this book did hav
Alexandra
Apr 08, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book just made me happy. Wonderfully, giddily happy. That's the TL;DR version: if you like nearish future sf and you would consider yourself small-l liberal and enjoy a bit of adventure and politicking, oh this is awesome.

Why?

There's the gender aspects. Robinson goes beyond gender-bending and into gender-thwarting. I first really realised something was going on when a new character was introduced and for the entire interaction, there were no pronouns used. And it's a gender-neutral name. S
Brad
Oct 21, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a slightly more difficult book than is usual, but no less satisfying for having read it.

I remember the Mars Trilogy with great fondness but I also remember it being stuffed full of invention and depth that most tales have no more than a gloss. This novel is very much like his previous novels in this regard. I am at once in awe and fully satisfied with the tale as I am also annoyed at how long it took to have the human aspect developed.

If anyone had told me during the first 300 pages t
Ben Babcock
For the past three years, I’ve paid for the privilege of voting in the Hugo Awards. I do this not because I love voting in the Hugo Awards (though that’s cool) but because, for the past few years, they have made available a voter packet containing digital copies of most of the nominated works. All I need do is purchase a supporting membership at the year’s WorldCon, which is always cheaper than if I were to buy the various novels and anthologies in which these works might be found. (Also, all th ...more
BG Josh
Dec 29, 2015 BG Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So at 65% I finally just kicked this pig and stopped reading. This book is objectively terrible. The story is foolish and non existent, no one involved is sympathetic or even slightly interesting. The main character actually gets her way by threatening to scream, at one point. I was constantly reminded of the twilight books.

The world is goodish, unless you have ever read any other trans humanist books.

The only people I can recommend this book to are extreme liberals. Unwashed hippies, reeking o
Shoshana
I was afraid for a long time that all the literary crap in this book was covering up what was really an overdone, boring plot.

It turned out not to be true - the plot is cool - but the plot only inhabits about 100 pages of this monster 6 or 7 hundred pager of a capital-N Novel.

Really, Kim Stanley Robinson, did we need random-ish, unfathomable "lists" between each chapter? Actually, I can answer that for you. No.

And really, Kim Stanley Robinson, did you have to format your very cool, forgivably in
Trudi

Abandoning this one at about the 50% mark. I gave it the ol' college try, but turns out this really ain't for me. Densely written, huge passages of world-building (and terraforming), but not enough of a propulsive plot or engaging characters to keep me turning the pages.
Ric
Nov 21, 2013 Ric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Encyclopedic' is the word that comes to mind with 2312. Robinson set out for a broad brush look at our race 300 years ahead, and this is precisely what we get. The tale takes us to many locations in the future solar system --- Mercury and the city on the Terminator, Venus with its solar shield, Saturn and its multiple terraria, Earth and its old world colonialism. The only venue missing is Mars, but then, Robinson has written a boatload on Mars.

There is an SF mystery that ties the story togethe
Tamara

I may be overdosing on this particular susgenre, since I read Blue Remembered Earth recently, and The Quiet War not long before that. They essentially tell the same story, but whats disturbing is that they essentially come to the same conclusion. All of this seems to come down to the Richard Florida version of the future. The 24th century for hipsters.

They're liberal-geek amusement parks. A guided tour of one half of the western culture war. The roller coaster of exciting new urbanism. The merr
Liviu
2312 is actually quite interesting about 100 pages in, I just wish the author's style would me more on my taste; this way it is like reading a very dry proof but of a very interesting result so while I derive little emotional pleasure, it's intellectually satisfying; let's hope that continues as otherwise as fiction I would have no reason to continue with 2312 and i really wish to finish it.

I finished 2312 and overall I wouldn't call it disappointing as I did not expect that much from it, but I
Irshad
Jan 23, 2016 Irshad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I couldn't get through with this book. Unfortunately I had to DNF it. It took too long for me to process the whole sci-fi realm.
Wealhtheow
This book is huge in breadth and depth, covering everything from falling in love, the destruction of cities, the precise techniques required to recreate terran microbiomes, artificial intelligences integrating with human society...Sometimes I grew frustrated because the book spent fifty pages recounting two characters whistling to each other, and only a paragraph to enact and then dismiss a plan to provide affordable housing for all people on Earth. I wasn't always on board with the focus or the ...more
John
Apr 24, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2/3 of the way through this one. Not as good as some of his previous works so far. Could do without the "lists" and other iterations, and some of the fragmented partial commentaries from fictitious future reference works. The usual KSR weirdness abounds, particularly his love of unconventional and experimental social arrangements (he truly is the contemporary science fiction author most like Robert Heinlein in this regard). This is yet another book about colonizing and/or terraforming planets in ...more
Gerhard
Jun 15, 2012 Gerhard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, favorites
There is an astonishing setpiece in this book where Swan visits New York, which climate change and rising sea levels has turned into a kind of new Venice. Fresh from space, Swan's intoxication with the beauty of Earth and the wonder of New York's transformation is ravishing.

So much SF these days focuses on the negative aspects of science and technology; KSR is quite old-fashioned in that he thinks we have enough of a technological base at the moment to get us through to a new level.

What has hap
Daniel
Aug 03, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to use the word "transcendent" to talk about a book with spaceships in it. I am fully aware that this is a silly thing to do, and I hope that one day you can forgive me. But really, 2312 is a transcendent work of science fiction.

Let's start with the science fiction and work our way up to the transcendence. So. Three hundred years from now (q.v. the book's title), we've managed to colonize the solar system and we've started terraforming some likely planets, moons, and asteroids. The adven
Tom Burke
Jun 26, 2012 Tom Burke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to rate this so low. The book was pretty ambitious and quite detailed. The story follows Swan, a 130 year old woman living on Mercury who finds herself in the middle of a terrorist plot.

The world as imagined by Robinson is quite amazing. Humans now inhabit most of the planets and thousands of asteroids. Swan is expert at designing worlds and it is quite compelling to read about hollowed out asteroids with completely fabricated eco-systems inside them.

My problem is probably not with the b
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
A finished copy was provided by the publisher for review.

Three hundred years into the future where humans can freely travel to different planets and grow farms and forests to conserve endangered animals. Animals have been bred and live on farms in space. People aren't just male and female anymore. They have both sexual organs. Gender is no longer the greatest divide in humanity. "The double lock and key" seems to be a perfect match and experience since it contains all pleasures at once. It was a
C.E. Murphy
I've finished Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312, which in some ways I liked a lot and in others found a little frustrating. Mostly I didn't feel Swan's voice was much differentiated from previous KSR protagonists, though the other two major POV characters were reasonably different. I liked the development of the romance and the world, I liked many of the choices the characters made, I just sort of felt like I could switch Frank out for Swan and it wouldn't be significantly different.

The other proble
Katherine
In many ways, this is much more of a love story than anything else. Boy meets girl, even.

This does take place in the same universe as the Mars Trilogy, but you don't need to have read them to appreciate this book, other than perhaps knowing that longevity treatments were developed then, allowing humans to live 150+ years.

The people, the spacers, in this book are almost far removed from us as a different species. They almost resemble the Culture from Iain M. Banks's books. The spacers are very he
Vladimir
Mar 21, 2013 Vladimir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Това е един от най-силните и значими фантастични романи от последните години. Достатъчен да върне вярата в жанра, чиято памет отдавна е огромен, населен с какво ли не лабиринт, в който обаче малцина се впускат. 2312 е хроника на едно такова потапяне и историята на едно фрагментирано бъдеще. Фантастиката има нужда от такива подвизи. Времето, прекарано в четене за тях, никога не е изгубено.
Tudor Ciocarlie
The world is so careful constructed, the colonized Solar System is so beautiful, the gender questions are so interesting that you can almost overlook the thinness of the characters and the unengaging story.
Kaethe
Perhaps I didn't like this more because the time spent drifting about the solar system slowed down the momentum. It is an espionage thriller in form, although too digressive to be thrilling. It's a future in which people live much longer, and most of the human settlements are beyond scarcity. Earth, by way of contrast, really sucks. Endemic poverty, disease, all the social ills humanity is heir to, and the sea levels did rise with predictably disastrous results.

There are lots of entertaining and
Michele
First book of the year that I was simply unable to finish. If it hadn't been a library book, in fact, I would have literally tossed it in the garbage. I know this is likely to offend fans of Kim Stanley Robinson who is, by all accounts, one of the better science fiction authors out there. But this novel proved insurmountable for me.

While at first I was intrigued as the author introduces us to life on Mercury in the year 2312, the pages quickly turned into an information-dump where $10 words were
Jason
Dec 24, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2012

4 Stars

2312 is a tough book to review, there is a great deal to like and to recommend in this one, but there are also some big issues too. As many reviewers have pointed out, this book leans towards hard science fiction without ever really becoming a teaching lesson. To me, it is a speculative piece of fiction that incorporates real mechanisms behind the physics and the biology of the future presented. It is intelligent, well thought out, and researched. This was my first Kim Stanley Robinson an
The book begins: “The sun is always just about to rise.” (1). Which is true for most of the people on Mercury. They either walk in the predawn light or live in the one city, Terminator, that circles Mercury in that same predawn light, driven by the sun like a remote controlled car. The “heat of the coming day expands the tracks, and the city’s undercarriage is tightly sleeved over them; so sunlight drives the city west.” (5). Always announcing the dawn. Until the tracks are attacked and the city ...more
Steve Callear
Sep 25, 2012 Steve Callear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with exception to the plot. Robinson created an amazingly detailed world that I really could imagine as a possible future.

Good characters as well but, some were really under developed. Alex, yes she was dead but, we never learn about any of her personality, except that she was loved and highly regarded by many. She was supposed to be the hero/motivating factor for the main character Swan, yet we never know what type of person she was except that she was basically the matriarch for me
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

In the year 2312, the solar system is a very different place. Humans have terraformed and colonized every inhabitable planet, moon and asteroid in the system; humanity has created thriving populations on the Jovian moons, hollowed out large space rocks and reconstituted them as terraria full of endangered animals and exotic life, and has even created a home on the impossibly hostile surface of Mercury. It is here, on Mercury's "Terminator" - a city that g
Alternate Realiti...: Was it effective? 7 24 May 13, 2014 06:37PM
Alternate Realiti...: 2312 14 34 May 02, 2014 02:25AM
Poor execution 3 55 Mar 29, 2014 11:05AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - November 2013 13 52 Nov 07, 2013 05:59PM
Playlist? Gallery? 2 29 Aug 04, 2013 08:16PM
abduction 8 40 Jul 28, 2013 11:24PM
Beyond Reality: 2312: finished reading (*SPOILERS*) 6 69 Jul 27, 2013 08:30AM
  • Intrusion
  • The Falling Woman
  • Existence
  • Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children, #1)
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • No Enemy But Time
  • Stations of the Tide
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • Arctic Rising
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • The Einstein Intersection
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • The Healer's War
  • Empty Space (Empty Space Trilogy #3)
  • Jack Glass
  • Slow River
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
Kim Stanley Robinson is an American science fiction writer, probably best known for his award-winning Mars trilogy.

His work delves into ecological and sociological themes regularly, and many of his novels appear to be the direct result of his own scientific fascinations, such as the 15 years of research and lifelong fascination with Mars which culminated in his most famous work. He has, due to his
More about Kim Stanley Robinson...

“Humans were still not only the cheapest robots around, but also, for many tasks, the only robots that could do the job. They were self-reproducing robots too. They showed up and worked generation after generation; give them 3000 calories a day and a few amenities, a little time off, and a strong jolt of fear, and you could work them at almost anything. Give them some ameliorative drugs and you had a working class, reified and coglike.” 15 likes
“We are here to inscribe ourselves on the universe, and it is not inappropriate to remind ourselves of this when blank slates are given us.” 7 likes