Start by marking “In The Spirit of Happiness” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
In The Spirit of Happi...
Monks of New Skete

In The Spirit of Happiness

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The bestselling authors of "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend" show how their strong connections with dogs and the natural world stem from the principles of monastic life. 14 line drawings.
Published May 5th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In The Spirit of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Spirit of Happiness

What a well-balanced and practical guide of monastic wisdom for the 21st century. This community is rooted in Orthodoxy, but open to all Christian traditions and all people, for that matter. It clearly and convincingly shows that the vocation of a monk is none other than the vocation of every Christian, that is, to be present with God in all of life, in every situation.

Lots of really helpful insights into how to live as a follower of Christ in a balanced, God-glorifying way. I liked how open-en
Danny Adams
I originally bought this book back in 1999, at the start of a difficult and challenging period of my life, and I've been "referring" to it ever since whenever times get tough. Don't let the fact that it was written by monks put you off; they know that everyone needs to do at least a little contemplation now and again, both of themselves and spiritually, and this book provides ways (sometimes challenging, sometimes surprisingly easy) to do that. I've kept it on a bookshelf that's always close at ...more
A nice walk through monasticism and everyday spiritual life, by people who know a lot about raising dogs. Nothing heartbreaking and revolutionary so far, but recommended as a nicely written intro into contemplative practice and an antidote to words like "blogosphere" or phrases like "monetize site traffic." Plus, who doesn't like to say "New Skete"?
I've been seeking spiritual growth & this book really helped me. It's written by Christian monks but they are not exclusionary (thank God!). Many things resonated with me: such as meditating by reading the Psalms and keeping myself conscious of whatever it is I'm doing.

A quote from the book:
"We're not made for drudgery. Drudgery in life exists because human beings are also weak. We're defective, we make mistake, we succumb too easily to negative attitudes. ... It's entering into the struggle
About halfway through this book, I am taking a breather. So far, I love it. It addresses spiritual journeying and knowledge-seeking, and the message (so far) is: it's difficult, there are no easy answers, live life in moderation, searching is a continual quest, seek out joy. This book is written with numerous anecdotes and conversational pieces throughout, which are one of the best ways, I think, to write about spiritual growth, and that is, write down conversations between people (usually two o ...more
Very good book through and through. Much sage wisdom herein, and many good reminders of the basics regarding right and embodied living. The last chapter—unlike all those gone before—left a bit to be desired, though. While attempting to encourage the reader’s best efforts towards “happiness,” the results appear to be too dependant on human effort (rather than, say, a collaborative sense of “joy”). I trust the monks could clarify what they meant were the question to be asked, but clarifying it in ...more
Fabulous, a MUST read!
Many of the great books I read on spirituality give me a new enthusiasm for my practice, but this one really turned me around and awakened me to some beautiful ideas about love, forgiveness, lectio, and even the psalms. A great book that focuses on what we all can do, whether we are monks, nuns, oblates, or living completely in the world.

After Julian's _Revelations_, this might be the one that has done the most for my progress. But I just finished it, so I'm bound to think that. Highly recommend
Jean Marie Angelo
Some years ago I started volunteering at a community center. Someone lovingly wrapped this and left it in my mailbox as a Christmas gift. I read it before the year was up. Wonderful reflections about the path. These are the same monks who have written numerous books about dog training as a spiritual practice. I never found out who left the gift, but I suspect it was one of our older members who has since passed away. My he live in enlightenment. He deserves it.
Jacqui R
This book contains many universal truths. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking a spiritual path, regardless of denomination (or lack thereof). At times, it made me want to run off and join a monastery, but that isn't possible at this time. Which got me to thinking that our homes are our monasteries, it is up to us to seek inner peace which can be achieved by following some simple practices which are included in the book.
This book has some good advice and interesting, well meant anecdotes, but I just couldn't make myself sit down and finish it. I don't think it's poorly written, it just didn't capture my attention well enough to compete with other influences.
Read while touring the Tuscan Italy for two weeks for work. For me, the perfect setting for this book. I spent many hours sitting in old churches and cathedrals meditating on the messages in this book. Lovely.
Dean P.
A reasoned, balanced look at the Christian life through the lens of an Orthodox monastic community. A good resource for individual growth and community discussion.
There was a lot about this book that I liked. It has several very good, very timely messages about the nature of humanity and its spiritual needs.
Bill Vinhage
Excellent insights on how to acheive happiness in this life based on monastic principles. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

I enjoyed this book and really got something out of it. Especially the chapter about jobs and work.
This book is amazing and potentially life-changing. I will never read a book like this ever again.
A beautiful and honest look at monastic life and how one might live it today.
Keith Brooks
When it was good , it was good , but when it was bad , it was atrocious .
Adrian Hunley
Loving this book so far!
refreshing. loved it.
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jade Myers
Jade Myers marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Sandi Auerbach
Sandi Auerbach marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Stephanie is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • An Infinity of Little Hours: The Trial of Faith of Five Young Men in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order
  • The Book of Common Prayer
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Illumined Heart
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • A Book of Hours
  • The Rule of Saint Benedict
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • The Orthodox Church
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Learning Theology with the Church Fathers: The Clarity of Scripture
  • Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul
  • On Wealth and Poverty
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition