Blank-133x176
In The Spirit of Happi...

Monks of New Skete

In The Spirit of Happiness

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The bestselling authors of "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend" show how their strong connections with dogs and the natural world stem from the principles of monastic life. 14 line drawings.
ebook
Published May 5th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1999)

Nate
What a well-balanced and practical guide of monastic wisdom for the 21st century. This community is rooted in Orthodoxy, but open to all Christian traditions and all people, for that matter. It clearly and convincingly shows that the vocation of a monk is none other than the vocation of every Christian, that is, to be present with God in all of life, in every situation.

Lots of really helpful insights into how to live as a follower of Christ in a balanced, God-glorifying way. I liked how open-en...more
Danny Adams
I originally bought this book back in 1999, at the start of a difficult and challenging period of my life, and I've been "referring" to it ever since whenever times get tough. Don't let the fact that it was written by monks put you off; they know that everyone needs to do at least a little contemplation now and again, both of themselves and spiritually, and this book provides ways (sometimes challenging, sometimes surprisingly easy) to do that. I've kept it on a bookshelf that's always close at...more
Jacob
A nice walk through monasticism and everyday spiritual life, by people who know a lot about raising dogs. Nothing heartbreaking and revolutionary so far, but recommended as a nicely written intro into contemplative practice and an antidote to words like "blogosphere" or phrases like "monetize site traffic." Plus, who doesn't like to say "New Skete"?
Heather
I've been seeking spiritual growth & this book really helped me. It's written by Christian monks but they are not exclusionary (thank God!). Many things resonated with me: such as meditating by reading the Psalms and keeping myself conscious of whatever it is I'm doing.

A quote from the book:
"We're not made for drudgery. Drudgery in life exists because human beings are also weak. We're defective, we make mistake, we succumb too easily to negative attitudes. ... It's entering into the struggle...more
Thalia
About halfway through this book, I am taking a breather. So far, I love it. It addresses spiritual journeying and knowledge-seeking, and the message (so far) is: it's difficult, there are no easy answers, live life in moderation, searching is a continual quest, seek out joy. This book is written with numerous anecdotes and conversational pieces throughout, which are one of the best ways, I think, to write about spiritual growth, and that is, write down conversations between people (usually two o...more
Matt
Very good book through and through. Much sage wisdom herein, and many good reminders of the basics regarding right and embodied living. The last chapter—unlike all those gone before—left a bit to be desired, though. While attempting to encourage the reader’s best efforts towards “happiness,” the results appear to be too dependant on human effort (rather than, say, a collaborative sense of “joy”). I trust the monks could clarify what they meant were the question to be asked, but clarifying it in...more
Royce
Many of the great books I read on spirituality give me a new enthusiasm for my practice, but this one really turned me around and awakened me to some beautiful ideas about love, forgiveness, lectio, and even the psalms. A great book that focuses on what we all can do, whether we are monks, nuns, oblates, or living completely in the world.

After Julian's _Revelations_, this might be the one that has done the most for my progress. But I just finished it, so I'm bound to think that. Highly recommend...more
Jean Marie Angelo
Some years ago I started volunteering at a community center. Someone lovingly wrapped this and left it in my mailbox as a Christmas gift. I read it before the year was up. Wonderful reflections about the path. These are the same monks who have written numerous books about dog training as a spiritual practice. I never found out who left the gift, but I suspect it was one of our older members who has since passed away. My he live in enlightenment. He deserves it.
Jacqui R
This book contains many universal truths. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking a spiritual path, regardless of denomination (or lack thereof). At times, it made me want to run off and join a monastery, but that isn't possible at this time. Which got me to thinking that our homes are our monasteries, it is up to us to seek inner peace which can be achieved by following some simple practices which are included in the book.
Seth
This book has some good advice and interesting, well meant anecdotes, but I just couldn't make myself sit down and finish it. I don't think it's poorly written, it just didn't capture my attention well enough to compete with other influences.
Cynthisa
Read while touring the Tuscan Italy for two weeks for work. For me, the perfect setting for this book. I spent many hours sitting in old churches and cathedrals meditating on the messages in this book. Lovely.
Dean P.
A reasoned, balanced look at the Christian life through the lens of an Orthodox monastic community. A good resource for individual growth and community discussion.
Ryan
There was a lot about this book that I liked. It has several very good, very timely messages about the nature of humanity and its spiritual needs.
Bill Vinhage
Excellent insights on how to acheive happiness in this life based on monastic principles. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Benedette

I enjoyed this book and really got something out of it. Especially the chapter about jobs and work.
Beth
This book is amazing and potentially life-changing. I will never read a book like this ever again.
TheAcaciaTree
A beautiful and honest look at monastic life and how one might live it today.
Keith Brooks
When it was good , it was good , but when it was bad , it was atrocious .
Adrian Hunley
Loving this book so far!
Christan
refreshing. loved it.
Colin Lewis
Colin Lewis is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
The Art of Raising a Puppy How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners Divine Canine: The Monks' Way to a Happy, Obedient Dog I & Dog Dogs & Devotion