Start by marking “Куклата” as Want to Read:
Куклата

Куклата

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Искам да знам дали хората усещат, че са луди. Понякога ми се струва, че мозъкът ми не смогва да съхрани целостта си, че е изпълнен с твърде много ужас, с твърде голямо отчаяние.
А и си нямам никого, досега не съм бил толкова неизразимо сам. Защо това би трябвало да ми помогне да напиша тези редове?... Да изхвърля отровата от съзнанието си.
Защото наистина съм отровен: не мог
Published January 20th 2012 by Enthusiast (first published January 1st 2011)

Petar X
The Doll is a very creepy story, way ahead of its time. It is a very dark tale about a woman's total obsession with a mechanical male sex doll. She drives her lover mad with jealousy with the intensity of her passion for the doll and consequent indifference to him. The story is short, very sexy, gothically dark, and still cutting-edge although it was written in 1928. The other stories - blah.

Hitchcock loved du Maurier - three of her works were the basis of films he made - Jamaica Inn, Rebecca a
Candi
Oct 05, 2015 Candi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This collection of some of Daphne du Maurier's earliest writing was very absorbing. I am quite glad I have had the opportunity to discover stories she conceived in the beginning stages of her very accomplished career. In these thirteen short stories du Maurier demonstrates her skill at depicting the very subtle nuances of human behavior and thinking. The overall tone is quite somber. She explores jealousy, egocentricity, obsession, manipulation, degeneracy, fear and foreboding, and disappointmen ...more
Hannah
Nov 11, 2011 Hannah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
HERE'S ANOTHER GR GIVEAWAY I WON'T WIN - YIPEE!!!!

Here's why:

I have too many GR friends and books. I mean, who needs a review or friends to read it? Much better to let a book like this languish in the never-never land of 0-books-0-friends world. Much better that a giveaway junkie who really just wants a freebie will win this instead of a 3 year member who takes the time to read and review books.

It's not as though I'm a du Maurier fan or anything. Nah, not me. Nope. Nuh-uh.

I think I've been black
Blair
The Doll is a compliation of 'lost' short stories by Daphne du Maurier, most written early in her career and either published or discovered much later. It's safe to say this is a mixed bag, and not a book I would recommend to readers who aren't already familiar with du Maurier's stories. While I enjoyed the majority of the tales in this collection, they are very different to those I have found in other collections by the author: many of them are about relationships, and the tone of most is more ...more
Obsidian
Mar 09, 2016 Obsidian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't know what happened this time. The first time through I could not get through this collection. My mind was wandering, I couldn't even get through the sentences. I just took it off my reading shelf and ignored it for more than a year. This time though, I flew this collection. Daphne du Maurier is able to tap into the deepest/darkest parts of people and is able to wrap it up in just a few pages. I thought all of these stories were great.

East Wind (4.5 stars)-This story is just giving you a
Jaksen
May 18, 2015 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. She was morbid and weird and crazy, at least in her writing. I've recently read a book about her, her father and James Barrie, author of Peter Pan. It's a wonder she got to age 23 with her brain intact.

I look forward to 2039, and hope I am still around, to read her adolescent diaries, which she forbid to be published until that date.

Still, even if I knew nothing of her background, these stories would be great. 'The Doll' itself is one of the weirdest things I've ever read, but knowing
Ryan G
Jan 12, 2012 Ryan G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore a well written short story more than I do the same writing in novel form. The skill needed to tell a finely honed story in such a small amount of space, when down well, never fails to impress me. This collection of thirteen stories blew me away, every single one of them made me laugh, shudder, and stare in amazement once I was done.

I don't know what to type next or even what to say if someone were to ask me about this one. I think I would just stand there, tongue-tied, unable to fully ex
Lydia Presley
Original review posted here

I don’t know which short story to gush about in this review. From the creepy, ick factor of the book’s title story, The Doll, to the heartbreaking loss experienced in East Wind, to the funny, but bittersweet tale of Frustration… I could go on and on.

I think one story though really got to me. I loved them all for their tragic, gothic-like settings, stories and people.. but there is one story that is all letters that move from the thrilling moments of a new, forbidden lo
Jessica
Not as multi-textured as her later stories, but still...damn impressive. And not a happy ending among them ;-)
Lovers who are misaligned, married couples uneven in their love for one another, mother-daughter pairs where the daughter dotes, the mother competes... There is humor here too, but not as much as in the later works. If there is a fault it is that you can often tell to what ending the story is headed, which is not so much true of her later work. Still, the journey there is not to be misse
Susan
Oct 14, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daphne Du Maurier brings both her skill for writing atmospheric and brooding stories, and her undoubted understanding of human nature, to this excellent anthology.
Some of these stories were better than others, but the writing was consistently good, with some of the pieces containing powerful messages about the society she found herself living in.
There were some memorable characters, such a clergyman, who is such an odious hypocrite....not really a man of god at all, but a man full of vanity and
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Daphne du Maurier is one of my patron saints, one of the handful of writers who indelibly shaped me and my tastes in literature, so I expected I'd love this collection of 'lost' short stories. I wasn't disappointed: the pieces here are wry and a little dark and deliciously British. These stories span her career, from her start to her post-Rebecca and post-The Birds days, and it's really exciting to see her entire career captured here.

While du Maurier is known for her deliciously Gothic novels,
Stacey
Oct 26, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not typically a fan of short story collections, however I really enjoyed this collection. Daphne du Maurier is an outstanding author and she really understands the nuances of human nature. This is exhibited time and again in this short story collection. Most of these were written early on in Daphne du Maurier's career, with one being written later on. I seemed to get the impression that she prefers certain names for her characters or no name at all. I believe she went on to explore some of t ...more
Nikki
The Doll is a collection of du Maurier's early short stories. The introduction (by someone I'm not otherwise aware of) seems to suggest that the main interest here is in the beginnings of themes that later haunted her work, and the glimpses of the things that haunted her personally. I'm not that interested in that, though, but I still found the stories well-crafted and interesting. Daphne du Maurier certainly had a way with her narration; 'The Limpet' made me smile in recognition...

Not as fine a
Mmars
Jan 31, 2014 Mmars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I wonder if, as readers who know du Maurier's later works, we are a bit harsh in our judgment of this collection of stories. After all, du Maurier wrote all but one of the stories in this collection between the ages of 18 and 23. Additionally, they were published singley in magazines and not intended to be compiled nor to be read in succession.

But read in succession I did. I devoured them. For her young age, she showed remarkable insight into the behaviors, attitudes and thoughts that may lead t
Tony
Feb 10, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE DOLL: The Lost Short Stories. (various, 1926-1932). Daphne du Maurier. ****.
This is a great collection of previously uncollected short stories by this author. They are called “lost” because they had been published in relatively obscure magazines at the time, and became unavailable to anthologists. Ms. du Maurier must have inherited genes that promoted writing skill, since these early stories were truly exceptional for one new to the craft. They all deal, in one way or another, with the rela
Stephanie Jobe
Oct 30, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright I am going to do this story by story. This is always harder I can’t give much of a blurb for a short story without giving anything away and her writing has always defied description for me. I can remember reading Rebecca in school and realizing afterwards that piece of information you never receive, but you also don’t realize it is missing. Rebecca is one of the few books from school that I really want to reread.

“East Wind”

An idyllic island village cut off from the world and living the s
Amy Sturgis
This is a collection of some of Daphne du Maurier's earliest works. While it's a bit uneven, as you'd expect, all of the stories are solid, and some are truly excellent.

The standout stories, in my opinion, are the following:

"East Wind" reads a bit like Du Maurier is channeling H.P. Lovecraft. It's a haunting, harrowing sketch. Just lovely.

"And Now to God the Father" is a brilliantly dark and cynical look at the vain and self-satisfied worldly ambition of a vicar who serves man instead of God. T
Melody
Dec 22, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca and loving it, I decided to read The Doll, a compilation of short stories she had written during the early 1930s. I understand that many of the short stories in this collection were published in periodicals way back then and it is only at this time that they have found their way into print.

While reading The Doll: Short Stories, I couldn't help comparing this to Rebecca as the latter had left quite a deep impression on me. I don't think I'd ever forget th
Zee
Here is an early showcase of Du Mauriers' literary prowess and her interest for certain themes that she would develop later into full length novels. In this little medley of tales one can spot a prototype of ‘Manderley’ house as well as recurrences of the blood-red azaleas that have become synonymous with it (the haunted setting of her most acclaimed novel ‘Rebecca’).

Overall, the stories centre on the varying degrees of sexual degeneration and the disintegration of relationships. These are expl
Melanti
Jan 27, 2016 Melanti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, anthology
There's a bit of everything in this collection. A little humor, a little eeriness. A couple precursors to her wonderful Rebecca. Yet, I wasn't a huge fan of most of the stories.

The titular story, "The Doll" was very memorable, and I can see why it wouldn't have been published way back when. And there were a couple other stories that also would have seemed improper back then.

But for the most part, these stories seem far, far less polished than the novels by her that I've read, and not nearly as
Ivan
Aug 28, 2011 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've only read the titular story - but it's riveting entertainment; very dark and macabre. A man becomes obssessed with a woman who toys with his affections. What's macabre about that? Well, she has this mechanical male doll named Julio in the other room, life sized and fully funtional (if you get my drift). This is only 15 pages long, but full of suspense and dread. I haven't read the rest of the stories in this collection.

I have several collections of Lady Browning's stories - partly because t
So interesting to read the early short stories of Daphne du Maurier - you can sense the talent, but it's clearly not fully formed. Only a couple of the stories have the creep factor that her later works have ("East Wind" and "The Doll") while the rest are more character studies. Maybe it was her youth or lack of writing experience that made stories like "Picadilly" and "Mazie" feel slightly off.

As I said, you can clearly sense the talent here and it's interesting to see the development between
Kirsty
Jul 13, 2016 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read The Doll: Short Stories ever since its publication in 2011. Most of the stories within this book were, says Polly Samson’s introduction, ‘written early in Daphne du Maurier’s career, yet they display her mastery of atmosphere, tension and intrigue and reveal a cynicism far beyond her years’.

The Doll is made up of thirteen stories in all. The title story was written when du Maurier was twenty: ‘It was the first thing she wrote in Fowey,’ Samson tells us, ‘having fled the dis
Rebecka
Nice collection, especially considering these are her early works.
Glenda
This is a collection of thirteen stories that du Maurier wrote in the 1930's. I am not a fan of short stories but I needed to read a collection of short stories for a challenge I am doing and since I enjoyed Rebecca, I felt this was as good as any other story collection.
I didn't care for the first two stories, The East Wind and the Doll. Nothing much happens in The West Wind and The Doll was just weird, but probably scandalous for its time. The rest were better IMO and dealt mainly with human f
Diane S ☔
Dec 13, 2011 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 As always Du Maurier's writing is extremely atmospheric. Some of these stories are ironic, some are very dark and some such as "The Doll' are very chilling. Definitely could have given Stephen King a run for his money had they been writing and publishing during the same time period.
Jessica
May 03, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These really weren't quite as good as I expected. There were a couple gems in here, but most of the stories were blasé, depressing, and bleak.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Recommendation One: Read this stories with some space of time between them. Their themes, especially those relating to male and female dynamics become quite samey in several of the stories. It is as she is working out a basic idea about how people are drawn together and then repelled by each other, but playing it in different keys. None of them quite jive though.

Recommendation Two: Don't go into this expecting the mastery of Rebecca, but rather as a storm cloud signifying the coming of that maj
Susan Oleksiw
Oct 02, 2013 Susan Oleksiw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 13 short stories most of which were written between 1926 and 1932. In them the reader sees the themes and character types that will later come to characterize du Maurier's work. "East Wind" is set on a rocky island cut off from the mainland until a ship anchors in the harbor to protect against a storm. "The Doll" is about a man who falls in love with a woman who has a secret. The term "hypocrisy" is almost too gentle for the series of events in "And Now to God the Father. ...more
  • The Virago Book of Ghost Stories
  • Conjunctions #39: The New Wave Fabulists
  • Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics)
  • The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
  • Sugar and Other Stories
  • Love Devours:  Tales of Monstrous Adoration
  • The Fantastic Book Of Everybody's Secrets: Short Stories
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)
  • Who Killed Zebedee?
  • Catharine and Other Writings
2001717
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami
More about Daphne du Maurier...

“Then all at once she turned to me, her face pale, her eyes strangely alight. She said, “Is it possible to love someone so much, that it gives one a pleasure to hurt them? To hurt them by jealousy, I mean, and to hurt myself at the same time. Pleasure and pain, an equal mingling of pleasure and pain, just as an experiment, a rare sensation?” 4 likes
“I loved you too much, wanted you too much, had for you too great a tenderness. Now all of this is like a twisted root in my heart, a deadly poison in my brain. You have made of me a madman. You fill me with a kind of horror, a devastating hate that is akin to love – a hunger that is nausea.” 1 likes