Start by marking “Dark Passage” as Want to Read:
Dark Passage

Dark Passage

Tyson Barrett's dreams want him dead.

An illicit drug trial promises to cure the crippling nightmares that have kept Tyson awake for months, nightmares rooted in the terrible abuse he suffered as a child. Exhausted and near collapse, he jumps at the chance to get his life back.

But Tyson soon discovers a side effect no one could have imagined. Doors are opening between Tyson
Published March 10th 2012 by Trebor Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Passage

Griffin Hayes
Apr 05, 2012 Griffin Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
By now, any of you who know me won't be surprised when I tell you that most of my story ideas come from dreams. The seed for Dark Passage was sown after I awoke from a particularly bad one. I couldn't tell you now what that nightmare was about, but I remember waking up and staring at my bedroom ceiling, a single thought chiming over and over in my head: "Thank God that was just a dream." I'm sure we've all been there before. Of course, we're all built a little different - maybe that's why I writ ...more
The Haunted Reading Room  [#VoteCthulhu Why Choose the Lesser Evil?]
Review of Dark Passage by Griffin Hayes
5 stars

A one-sitting horror thriller, “Dark Passage” is nevertheless a complex study of psychological underpinnings, horrific child abuse, and yes, metaphysics (witness the writings of Brenda Barrett, which gave me chills like I have seldom encountered). Not at all for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, still this novel is coherent, complicated, and delectably horrifying.

Tyson Barrett has a problem: he can’t/won’t sleep due to terrifying nightmares, and
Edward Lorn
Feb 07, 2013 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing
Hugh Howey, author of Wool, wrote the blurb that hangs above Griffin Hayes's name on the cover of Dark Passage. It reads: "Nail-Biters beware." Though I haven't read any of Howey's work (yet, as Wool is on my TBR 2013 list) the man obviously knows good horror when he sees it.

After posting on Goodreads that I had started and was enjoying Dark Passages, Griffin contacted me, asking me to be completely honest with my review. I fully intended to, whether he had asked or not, but I'm going a little
I was lucky enough to win an electronic copy of Dark Passage by Griffin Hayes in a Librarything Giveaway.

Lucky isn't really the word. I am an avid lover of all things horror; horror films , horror and zombie video games and novels are highly ranked amongst my favourites. Yet very few things I watch, play or read actually scare me. This novel is one of those elusive creations that actually horrified me; such a rare treat cannot be commended enough.

Dark Passage is very well written, with hardly an
Yawatta Hosby
May 29, 2012 Yawatta Hosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, thriller
This 46 chapter novel exceeded my expectations. Already a fan of the author’s writing style, I knew the story would be spooky, entertaining, and action-packed. But it went well beyond that. I’ll never smell a pine tree scent or see a fly the same way ever again.

* Griffin Hayes has an amazing talent with characterization, voice, and description. His creative, original metaphors helped enhance the narration. Each character sounded different. I got lost in the story, feeling what the characters fe
Caedy  Eries
This is the second work I've read by Griffin Hayes and I fall in love with the twisted thrillers all the more. This story, about a man named Tyson Barrett, who is tortured by nightmares of his traumatic childhood, receives a miracle cure for his insomnia. However, as we've learned, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. That is the case with this so called "miracle cure" that Tyson hopes will not only solve his medical problems but his personal ones as well (considering he has become es ...more
Nov 27, 2012 Adriane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-horror, kindle
This book was great, and truly legitimately scary, I was on the edge of my seat for the better part of three hours last night digging into this story. It was to the point that my husband kept asking me if I was ok due to the intensity of my stare at the kindle. I would actually put this book on par with The Shining, and that's saying a lot, because I loved the Shining and it scared the piss out of me.

It may have affected me more than other people due to my connection with my own dreaming self,
Sep 21, 2012 Doreen rated it really liked it
Ha! **** Really good read! Pretty creepy in spots. I love creepy. I have noticed the more creepy books you read it gets harder and harder to get creeped out. (Does that even make sense?) Lol Anyway, this was a great choice and it was one that was suggested by one of my Twitter followers, so awesome choice! And thank you Mr. Hayes. Really good twist at the end also! No more info. :)
Amy Lutchen
Feb 11, 2014 Amy Lutchen rated it really liked it
I'm on a roll!

What a creepy book. I'll never look at flies, power drills, or any sort of blue pill the same again. And well, asylums, they are always as creepy as hell and I've always kept my distance from those...

Hayes gets two thumbs up for his masterful story of nightmares and one father's journey to stop them from destroying what's left of his life.

Jul 01, 2012 Mitch rated it liked it
I really liked Dark Passage once I figured out what was going on. Except that didn't happened until into the second half of the book, the summary really tells you nothing and the first half was just incredibly weird and there wasn't much connecting the dots. I know as a suspenseful thriller this book was supposed to keep me guessing, what's with Tyson Barrett's nightmares? Why's his mom locked up in a mental asylum? What the heck's going on? But besides the prologue that really didn't fit into t ...more
May 05, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Dark Passage is the first book I've read by Griffin Hayes. I read this book on the recommendation of a Goodreads friend, and dear Mallory was right -- this book was totally worth the read. This may have been my first Griffin Hayes book, but it certainly won't be my last.

Let's start with a RECAP: Tyson is a man of suffering. For the past six months, he's slept so very little that he's hanging on by a thread. His marriage has fallen apart, his career is spiraling downwards, and little tidbits of a
Apr 27, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars:

I will preface this review by saying that I don't usually read horror and I'm a wimp so I'm pretty easy to scare. That being said, I was drawn in by the very vivid images Hayes created from the very first chapter. I was struck by the quality of the writing on the whole, with some scenes described so clearly I could easily see them on a mental movie screen. I strongly feel Hayes was able to build both atmosphere and suspense. He was, in fact, so successful that I would actua
Sep 06, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book for free in return for a honest review*

Tyson Barrett's life is out of control. His wife left him and took their son, Kavi, with her and his business isn't doing well either. Nightmares keep him awake and begin his downfall. Friend and business partner, Skip, tells him about a clinical trial for a new drug that might help with his insomnia. To his surprise, the drug works but he soon finds the side effect is much more than what he expected.

Griffin Hayes has crafted
Craig McGray
Apr 06, 2012 Craig McGray rated it it was amazing
I'll preface this by saying that I don't sleep well. I may get three to four hours of broken sleep per night. Mr. Hayes has not helped me with this latest book. His vivid descriptions, and distinct style, made me have a dream about the story. Mr. Hayes has hit his mark once again with me.

I enjoyed the twists and turns that led me through the story. Dark Passage is one of the fastest books I've read. The pages kept turning as I was led from dream to reality, and places in between. I especially en
Caridad cruz
Jun 05, 2013 Caridad cruz rated it it was amazing
wow!! this book was FANTASTICALLY CREEPY!! it had twisted minded characters with good and bad guys. I really enjoyed reading this book. This book will hook you from page one and will NOT let you go until the last word. It is that good!! It is fast paced, it has drama, monster's, it was emotional, creepy, scary, thrilling, etc... I have read different books by this author and must say that I am impressed with his method of writing. I say this because he has different styles in his stories. His ta ...more
Billie Copas
May 07, 2012 Billie Copas rated it it was amazing
Pardon the language, but this is one hell of a book! Absolutely fabulous. It's creepy, twisted, one of the best horror books I have read in a LONG time! I cannot stress enough how good this is. I read a lot of books, and I have a good many favorite authors. Griffin Hayes is most definitely one now. All I can say is, Look out, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker! .......Griffin Hayes has arrived and he is putting you on notice! If you like horror, this book is definitely a MUST READ!! It had ...more
Donald Armfield
Griffin digs his nails in with his horror story. And leaves claw marks you won't forget.

Tyson an insomniac joins a test subject for meds to help one sleep. All seems good, plus the fact you can pull things outta your dreams.

If dreams come true what's the catch. Tyson finds that out the hard way. Digging up his past he did not know about.

Griffin's Wes Craven twist is sure to call out Mr. Sandman and help you sleep at night ..... well maybe. A terrifying 5 stars.
Oct 05, 2012 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Being a wimp when it comes to anything scary, I actually loved Dark Passage. With the jumps from dreams to reality. I could not put the book down. I loved every second of Dark Passage. I look forward to reading more of Griffin Hayes's work.
Jan 30, 2013 Pinky rated it it was amazing
It was my first horror book and I am glad it was this one. It had everything !
Roxanne Crouse
Mar 13, 2013 Roxanne Crouse rated it liked it
Actually I give it 31/2 Dark Passage was entertaining and a nice break from the paranormal, romance, love triangle books I’ve received. If you’ve had your fill of the books reminiscent of Twilight you may want to pick this book up, if you enjoy horror and gore like I do. The kindle formatting of the mobi file the author gave me was a little wonky with beginning paragraphs in a larger font than the rest of the chapter and occasional larger fonts at random. I downloaded the free sample on my kindl ...more
Feb 19, 2013 C.W. rated it really liked it

RATING: 3.8/5

Last night I had a nightmare in which I was chased by several freakish creatures. My legs wouldn’t allow me to run away – they felt like pillow cases stuffed to the top with wet cement. The monster in my dream was not the same as the one from Dark Passage by Griffin Hayes, but I awoke in the morning immediately thinking to myself, “I’m sure as hell glad I’m not Tyson Barrett.” Anyone who has read Hayes’s novel could easily understand why.

L.H. Thomson
Mar 15, 2012 L.H. Thomson rated it did not like it
Tyson Barrett is plagued by insomnia. In the hopes of a miracle cure, he volunteers for a drug test. But Tyson has a horrible past, one that haunts his dreams -- dreams which begin intruding upon the physical world.

Dark Passage has several merit-worthy elements, but is ultimately betrayed by numerous writing issues in structure and approach. The plot treds some familiar horror turf -- dreams and reality intruding upon one another -- and most of it has been done well elsewhere. The characters are
Sep 08, 2012 Tabitha rated it really liked it
Dark Passage is classified as a paranormal thriller and it definitely lives up to the hype; be warned, this novel contains images so chilling that it may keep some readers up at night, squinting into the dark corners of the bedroom, searching for signs of grotesque creatures…

The first chapter is a vague yet poignant look into the past. An unnamed boy is alone in a house that is clearly run by a mother with OCD. The reader learns from snippets of the boy’s thoughts that his mother is a germaphobe
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

This book was seriously creepy! And that's a good thing 'cause I LOVE horror novels! At one point it was soooo creepy (and more than a bit gruesome) that I had to stop eating my snack. Is that a good thing? Well, if it was trying to creep the heck out of me, then yes! Mission accomplished, lol!

The storyline was really interesting and kept me wanting to find out more...I'm always up for cracking a mystery!

I also really liked the Persian mythology reference...I am i
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Jun 19, 2012 Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto rated it really liked it
Today's review is on Dark Passage by Griffin Hayes

I never look at reviews written by other readers until I myself have finished reading the book in question, and have my own opinion formulated. So when I looked over the reviews for Dark Passage, I was surprised to find a common theme. Like the main character, many readers themselves suffered from a sleep disorder of some sort, including myself.

Tyson Barrett's childhood was anything but average. His mother, who had OCD, controlled every aspect of
Jun 24, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
First, my sincere apologies for the timing of this review. Griffin, I should have had it done months ago and didn’t. No fault but my own. That said:

Dark Passages is one of Griffin Hayes’ novels and one of the longer ones, I believe. Page by page you become immersed in his characters and, although your “trying to sleep” mind wants you to give up the tale there is no way you can.
The sad but believable Tyson Barrett is plagued by horrendous nightmares in which he seems to be reliving his young day
Stephen Clynes
Feb 13, 2013 Stephen Clynes rated it liked it
5 year old Tyson Barrett was told to never enter the locked room at the end of the hallway in his home. One day he did... what he saw the reader does not know as the story jumps to when Tyson is 38 years old. Tyson now has really bad nightmares and finds sleep very difficult. You assume Tyson is suffering from PTSD at whatever he witnessed was behind the locked door when he was 5 years old. Tyson joins a drug trial to see if the medication will help him sleep. The dreams continue and you wonder ...more
Lynn Thompson
Nov 20, 2012 Lynn Thompson rated it really liked it
Great Horror story and not his normal short story either. Griffin Hayes nails horror on the head!

Not only does Tyson Barett have to deal with his abusive childhood, anger issues, and sleepless nights because of nightmares, his wife leaves him with his 5 year old son. He doesn't think his life could get much worse. That is until his best friend convinces him to join a pharmaceutical drug study.

Tyson's life seems to get better with this new drug. He is sleeping again and his nightmares have final
Ezra Gray
May 16, 2012 Ezra Gray rated it it was amazing
Dark Passage, by Griffin Hayes, is the frightening tale of Tyson's struggle to leave his childhood trauma behind him. The problem Tyson has, though, is that it follows him home from his dreams.
Without spoilers, the monster in this was terrifying. Hayes has an excellent imagination and a gift for keeping the tension torqued. Every time I thought, well, this will have to be it, he pulled another twist.
This is a well told story, carefully thought out and nicely paced. The characters and their actio
David Staton
Dec 06, 2012 David Staton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well thought out, wonderfully executed! (4.5 stars)

Not only is this book inventive and enjoyable, but it's a really quick read for the simple reason that you can't put it down. Once I got into it I burned through it in 2 days because every free second I had, my kindle was in my hand, and Griffin was leading me through a sleepless world of fear and excitement. I don't think I will ever smell a pine tree again without looking over my shoulder.

One of the best things I've read in a while. I would
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • This Little Piggy
  • The Nightmare Within
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • The Donzerly Light
  • The Mole People Beneath the City
  • The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)
  • Slag Attack
  • Attic Clowns
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Midnight Paths: A Collection of Dark Horror
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • Forsaken
  • Voice
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • The Venus Complex
  • Seraphim
  • Desolation: Stories
Get the latest news on hot new releases by Griffin Hayes delivered straight to your inbox.
Frequency: Once every 3 months. Bonus: If you behave, I might just toss in a delightfully horrific short story free of charge, just for you!

Primal Shift Volume 2 (A Post Apocalyptic Thriller) by Griffin Hayes
Primal Shift Volume 2 is my newest release.

About Griffin Hayes:
Griffin Hayes spent most of his
More about Griffin Hayes...