Sons of Cain

Sons of Cain

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An ancient group of twelve unspeakably powerful men are prepared to implement mass suicide in the United States. Already in control of the Congress and the Presidency, all that they lack is the Supreme Court. The only thing standing between these SONS OF CAIN and the lives of the Court is a small group of dedicated warriors. Wealthy ex SEAL, Nick Rieper, and his dozen, Kni...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 444 pages
Published April 6th 2011 by Lepanto Group, LLC

I didn't realize that I've always longed for a Catholic Tom Clancy, but here you have it: a book Catholic men will probably just love.

Though I found parts of it preachy (and I've told the author that, mind you), I found the story and plot to be good, entertaining, and suspenseful. I had a hard time putting it down and I appreciated the faith woven throughout it.

Personally, I'm excited to see what Val Bianco comes out with next, because he keeps me on my toes on Twitter and his sense of humor is...more
Ellen Gable
Sons of Cain by Val Bianco begins with a prologue describing Pope Leo's horrifying vision of Hell, the vision that prompted him to write his famous "St. Michael Prayer."

Misery loves company. One need only look at the present state of the world to see that Satan is hard at work trying to gain souls to keep him company for all eternity. Those who do not believe in the devil will think twice after reading this compelling and frighteningly realistic novel.

The cover is eye-catching and enticing. I wa...more
Jennifer Kehoe
I have read a great number of books in my life but there are only two which have prompted me to stalk my husband with a copy of the book in hand insisting that he read it so that I could discuss it with him.
The first was Brideshead Revisited. The second-Sons of Cain.
I’ll admit that I was slightly apprehensive before reading this book, firstly because it was my first dip into reading on Kindle, and secondly because I usually steer well away from anything in which Satan features. I needn’t have...more
Erin Cupp
Ahh, a cozy summer read to bring poolside…. Those would not be the words to describe Sons of Cain by Val Bianco. On the recommendations of many friends, I finally got around to getting a copy to read for myself. I first opened it up on my Nook, saw the page count, and then proceeded to say, “I’m never going to finish a book this long, not with the other deadlines I’m facing!” Fear not, though. Don’t let the page numbers fool you: it’s a speedy read. It has everything: Catholic clerics behaving b...more
Anne Carpenter
Positives: Intriguing story line, good character development, realistic setting that relies on true or relatable events for authenticity.

Could be improved: unsynchronized timeline, major POV issues, numerous grammatical and spelling mistakes. A good sweep by a tenured editor and proficient proofreader would do wonders for this piece and tighten it up as the plot deserves.
Barb
This book is a prime example of a great story in need of a good editor. I'm finding the numerous grammatical and other errors distracting from the tale itself, which is a shame. The buildup of suspense in the Prologue was masterful.
Therese Heckenkamp
Just looking at the cover of "Sons of Cain" will send a shiver through you. This novel by Val Bianco is a true Catholic thriller. A fascinating story of grand proportions, "Sons of Cain" wraps around your very mind, heart, and soul, and refuses to let go.

The prologue provides a stunning beginning—even more so because it is based in truth, on Pope Leo XIII’s frightening vision that occurred in 1884 . After reading this vivid prologue, you will forever have a devotion to Saint Michael, the warrior...more
Julie Davis
You're either going to love this thriller or hate it. It has a definite Catholic orientation (which is a turn-on for me, let's get that straight right now) and definitely hews to the conservative side of the political spectrum. So there's that.

Here's the book description:
Annmarie
To me, the hallmark of a good book is that I get lost in the story and the fact that I'm reading becomes no longer apparent. This is the expeience I had with Sons of Cain.

After the Prologue, I thought "This is going to be a 'guy' book." But I was completely hooked before I could even finish the first chapter.

Bianco's dialogue is natural and his characters are believable. The story is fast-paced and suspenseful. Overall it was an enjoyable, if intense, read.

Bianco's inclusion of spritual warfare...more
Meghan
I loved this book. I think I say that a lot, but I just happen to be picking up book after book (except for a small few) that have been perfect reads for me.

This book would be perfect for anyone who is: 1) unhappy with what has been going on within the Catholic Church as of late (especially if you're, like me, a Catholic) 2) unhappy with the Obama administration 3) unhappy with what the United States is becoming 4) at least sometimes think that the conspiracy theorists actually know what they're...more
Roberta Blythe
While some reviews I have read focus on the "fiction" of this book. While it is indeed written as a fictional work, many members of the Christian faith will find many points all too "non-fictional". While written with emphasis on the Catholic Church, the portions referencing society, culture, current events all point to current day - and affect all Christians.

The action was fast-paced and somewhat reminiscent of action movies I have enjoyed. But I hope readers can focus on the reality pointed a...more
Ginny
It was a good thriller with a Catholic point of view. It is the ultimate fight of good versus evil - the real deal one of Satan's minions has organized a secret society of prominent leaders to force the world to his point of view. A group of human warriors with angelic help take them on.
Elizabeth Hunt
Sons of Cain is one of the most enjoyable, unputdownable books I have ever read. From the start, the story engages the reader and does not let go. Fast-paced and suspenseful this book makes one ponder the question, "Could this be real?" Sons of Cain is not a book I will soon forget.
Sally Beaudean
This book, in spite of its political undertones, is a thought provoking story of good versus evil that is reminiscent of Frank Peretti. It presents an interesting theory on Satanic involvement in political events in modern society. It's a good book and a quick read.
April
I'm not Catholic but, I am a believer. I've read many Christian-based stories and this is truly one of the best. I was totally engrossed in the story and it's characters. I hope there is a sequel. I would like to read more adventures involving these characters.
Philip
This was a real page turner, I couldn't put it down! Don't read it if you are put off by religion... I found it incredibly interesting, a different type of fantasy thriller if you will.
Scott
Still sort of stunned. I've never encountered a "Catholic thriller" before, but I'll say it was a gripping read, and I'm very glad to have found it.
Mrp
Excellent thought provoking book. While the 1st chapter may be a little slow you will find it significant later. Hang in and enjoy.
Neil
Fairly interesting read. Quite compelling. Probably not recommended to anyone who doesn't have an interest in Catholicism.
Sandra Gilbert
Not bad, good premise, took a little bit to get into it and connect with the characters, but by the end it was all good.
Pat
Although I'm not Catholic, I thoroughly enjoyed this gripping book. I learned much about the Catholic Church that I never heard before. The plotline not only held my attention, but it glued the book on my hand until I could finish it. The battle between Satanism and Christianity was made very real for me.

I think any Christian who is concerned about the direction our country has taken not only politically, but also spiritually, morally, socially, and all other ways, needs to read this book. It i...more
loraknits
Nov 30, 2012 loraknits rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to loraknits by: Lora
Shelves: catholic-fiction
If you can get through the first few chapters with the horrific crime, the rest of the book is good and resolved.
Marylu Zuk
Fascinating read. I learned more about church history than I did from eight years of Catholic school!
Mark Caldwell
Once you have read this book you can never say I didn't know. An eye opener.
Michelle
Waiting for a sequel
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Elouise
Elouise marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014