Start by marking “The Tiny Wife” as Want to Read:
The Tiny Wife

The Tiny Wife

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,310 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
A thief charges into a bank with a loaded gun, but he does not ask for money; what he asks for, instead, is the object of greatest significance currently in the possession of each patron. The thief then leaves, and the patrons all survive, but strange things soon begin to happen to them: One survivor’s tattoo jumps off her ankle and chases her around; another wakes up to f ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by The Friday Project (first published December 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiny Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiny Wife

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Feb 18, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Canadian Lit / Magical-Realism Fans
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Lynda Mccalman
You know how in dreams it doesn’t matter that nothing makes any sense? All you know is you're in survival mode and WHY things happen isn’t even on your radar! This has that same surreal quality - if you’re looking for creepy & imaginative give it a try.
One woman is shrinking daily, about to disappear completely if she can’t stop it somehow. Another is fleeing from a lion that used to be tattooed on her leg now come to life and hell-bent on hunting her down. There’s no time for lamenting or g
Lynda
The robbery was not without consequences. The consequences were the point of the robbery. It was never about money. The thief didn't even ask for any. That it happened in a bank was incidental.
 Branch 117
 [Branch 117]
A robber holds up Branch 117 of the British Bank of North America in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. There were 13 people inside when the thief entered. The thief wore a flamboyant purple hat and brandished a handgun.
I demand only one thing from each of you and it is this: the item currently in y
Gehna
Warning : Review contains spoilers!

photo tumblr_inline_mzirsezOhv1qbhahq-1_zpsbvnqnfhi.jpg

First of all, never ever judge a book by its cover, especially this book. I mean look at cover, red and black with blown dandelion. Perfect for romantic books, but see, it's not romance, it's fantasy! :D

In a bank robbery, the thief asks for no money (yes, no money!!!) but an item currently in their possession which holds the most sentimental value. People give wedding rongs, watches and books. Soon weird things start happening in their lives. (view spoiler)
Tfitoby
Mar 16, 2015 Tfitoby rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastical, lit
Another wonderful little fable of the fantastic from Andrew Kaufman as he once more tackles the contemporary fears of growing up, failing relationships, and parenthood, the agony of love and the joy of despair. Simply and beautifully Kaufman tells us that we might be lost but then again so is everybody else and only through self acceptance and honesty can our souls survive the realities of existence and only through work can love thrive.

All of which makes this seem like one of those hokey self h
Nik Perring
Aug 15, 2011 Nik Perring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A man robs a bank. But instead of making off with bags of cash he takes one thing from each of the customers there: one thing which holds the most sentimental value.

The bugger gets away with it and disappears with his swag.

And then odd things start to happen to the folks he's stolen from. A woman's lion tattoo becomes an actual lion and chases her all over town. Another lady wakes up to find that she's made of candy. And, amongst others, a man's wife discovers she's shrinking. Those who've read
Wiebke (1book1review)
I just realized I must have forgotten to add this to my goodreads. I read it a while back and really liked it, like all of Kaufman's books. It is a short enjoyable read challenging your thoughts and it will keep you thinking for some time.
Josephine
May 08, 2012 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book is pretty. A pretty little hardback with a pretty cover and full of pretty illustrations. Pretty pretty pretty and I am a sucker for a pretty book.
Contents wise? I didn't enjoy this as much as Kaufman's 'All My Friends Are Superheroes' which I absolutely adored but I did like it, in a weird, almost aching kind of a way. The thing about Kaufman, and this is true about Superheroes as well, is that he tells his fantastical stories in such a matter of fact way that you kind of focus less o
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It all begins the day David's wife Stacey is queuing at the bank. A man comes in, armed with a gun, and makes everyone line up, customers and staff alike, and orders them to give him whatever is most precious to them. He doesn't want their wallets, but random objects of sentimental value - they are pieces of their souls.

Without these objects, strange things begin to happen to each of the people who were in the bank that day. For some, it is a small, passing moment that endangers no one. For othe
Clare Cannon
Feb 23, 2012 Clare Cannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults
If you read this book, be ready for anything. It comes across as bizarre, though there is a strong point being made that is never explicitly stated but there to be pondered none-the-less. I love books that make you think.

Several people are in a bank when a robber appears and orders them to hand over the thing with most sentimental value to them. He explains that he has taken half their soul with him, and they will need to fight in the following days to grow it back, else they die. Each of them s
Caleb
Jan 14, 2014 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a thief takes items of sentimental value from a group of strangers one afternoon he also walks away with fifty-one percent of each person's soul. The consequences of this theft are the strange happenings that occur to the victims and those around them.

Filled with whimsy, this quirky little modern fairy tale has little bit of everything to draw you in. A bit of darkness, some tragedy, moments of comedy and a touch of the macabre and bizarre wrapped up in a clever and thoughtful narrative.

At
Shriya
Mar 18, 2012 Shriya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tome-travelling
Hmm...I knew from Day-1 that I'd be tome-travelling a LOT this year but what I didn't know was I'd also be witnessing crime while on this journey! Yes, crime was what Canada was all about for me (at least while I was visiting it with Andrew Kaufman!)

'The Tiny Wife' is a beautiful modern day fable about a thief who steals something of sentimental value from people. It's funny, crazy, quirky and extremely interesting. In fact I was almost battling with myself while reading it about whether or n
Marie
Jan 07, 2013 Marie rated it liked it
The Tiny Wife begins in a dramatic fashion as a thief in a purple hat bursts into a busy Toronto bank brandishing a loaded gun. But it soon becomes apparent that this is no ordinary stick-up. The stranger demands that each of the bank's customers gives him the object in their possession that holds the most sentimental value. Confused, they comply with his demands and part with the trinkets that they hold dear; a cheap watch, a well-used calculator. But along with these knick-knacks each victim l ...more
Teresa
Dec 30, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tiny Wife is a thing of beauty, 80 pages of carefully wrought words enhanced by sharp, silhouette illustrations. Not a single word is wasted in this contemporary fable with echoes of Hans Christian Anderson, the Brothers Grimm and even a little pinch of Italo Calvino.

Our story opens in contemporary Toronto where a thief carries out a bank robbery with a difference – he asks each customer for the object which is of most sentimental value to them. It transpires that they have also handed over
Nyari
Jan 04, 2012 Nyari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(possible spoilers)

The Tiny Wife, the opening pages had me fascinated, what did I have on my person that had the most sentimental value? And what would it mean for my soul to lose it? Quite an intriguing question. It was my Wizard of Oz 'Are you a Good Witch or A Bad Witch' watch. I read on.

However I was soon frustrated, not knowing why all these strange things were happening to people. Were they punishments or rewards? Who was being pushed or rewarded and why? Why, why, why? And then what?

For e
Craig Wallwork
May 09, 2012 Craig Wallwork rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting, which is how it must be read. Lovely, sweet story that deserves your full attention. It would have gotten five stars had the ending not been so abrupt, and maybe over time I'll learn to appreciate that more, that the ending was perfect, but I guess I didn't want it to end. I wanted to know more about Stacy and David and how they re-built their realtionship, and the changes that took place as a result. I'm also annoyed at the fact I didn't write it. Wonderful stuff.
Cass -  Words on Paper
$1 at Booktopia (24/07/2013)

?/5 (unrated)

No rating as I don't really know how I could rate it.

This was a fun, weird, light read. The prose is direct and simple. The entire story is only just over 80 pages. It reads almost like a folk tale. I can say that I liked it, but I was wanting something a bit more, a bit deeper I guess. Still a delight to read and it was only $1 anyway. ;)
Kate
Feb 13, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd little book. It was a quick read and was certainly interesting. IF you're at all a fan of magical realism I'd give this one a look.

A thief walks into a bank and proceeds to rob the people there. Not for money but for the object on them at that moment that has the most sentimental value. When he leaves with the object he tells them that they'd better find a way to grow back what was taken they will die.

Strange things begin to happen. One woman turns into candy, another's husband
Katja Pedersen
Andrew Kaufman is one of my favourite authors for good reason. Once again, I love the quirky, simply written, yet important story 'The Tiny Wife' tells.
Alexandra Pedro
Jul 09, 2016 Alexandra Pedro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro é outra daquelas histórias cujo significado não se consegue extrair com uma única leitura. Tenho de o ler novamente. Uma história pequena que demora pouco tempo a ser lida mas que tem imenso significado.

A mensagem é bela e é transmitida na perfeição. Dá ao leitor liberdade para pensar por si mesmo e para procurar as respostas. Dessa forma, a viagem por que enveredamos nesta leitura torna-se bastante pessoal.

Ilustrações maravilhosas!

Opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jky
Sandra
Feb 07, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it

Adorei.

E esta edição é simplesmente linda.
Laurie-Ève
Aug 19, 2016 Laurie-Ève rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Magical and refreshing!
E
Apr 03, 2016 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, reviewed
'The Tiny Wife' was a revelation to me.

I have always disliked short stories. There it is, out there. It's a genre that I enjoy to write, but reading them has never been enjoyable. They generally feel unsatisfactory, an inferior form to novels, drama and poetry, not enough depth, not enough character development. Yet, I selfishly write them because I enjoy the writing process. A form that is more enjoyable for the writer than the reader: a narcissistic pleasure.

Oh, how wrong I was. This was diffe
Emma
My first experience of reading Andrew Kaufman was from reading All My Friends Are Superheroes- which I read within one sitting and absolutely adored.

The Tiny Wife is set in what I can only describe as a parallel universe really, fantasy thoughts get intertwined with real life situations and its so cleverly done!

The basics of this story is that the robber takes away sentimental goods from thirteen subjects and the plot is for them to be "reborn". The protagonists are meant to realise the fault i
Tempo de Ler
Apr 07, 2014 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sempre gostei de livros que conferem profundo significado ao que me parecia ao início apenas pura loucura. A Esposa Minúscula é um desses livros: oscilando entre a tragédia e a comédia, o lógico e o absurdo, acaba por nos oferecer uma grande diversidade de temas e camadas a explorar.

Tudo começa quando, no assalto a um banco, o curioso ladrão leva de cada um dos clientes o objecto com mais significado para eles…Mas o que já era de si estranho torna-se ainda mais excêntrico quando este mesmo ladr
Boof
A tiny story in a tiny book about a tiny wife. This novella is less than 100 pages long, but what you get for that is a weird and wonderful little story that starts off in a bank. A robber (dressed rather flambouyantly in purple and feathers) enters and holds the queue up at gunpoint and asks each person in the line to hand over the thing with the most sentimental value to them. Once he has got something from each of them he disappears after telling them that he has taken a portion of each of th ...more
Suad Shamma
Oct 23, 2013 Suad Shamma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2013
I have been a huge fan of Andrew Kaufman since the very first book I picked up for him "The Waterproof Bible". Since then, I've been on a constant hunt for his books, every bookstore I enter, I go straight to the K section hoping to find his name. Unfortunately, his books don't seem to be very popular over here. I found All My Friends are Superheroes at a book fair, and I devoured that in one sitting, until a few months ago anyway when I found both The Tiny Wife and Born Weird in one of the book ...more
Literary Relish
Dec 28, 2015 Literary Relish rated it really liked it
Kaufman has created a wonderful fable, a modern fairy tale and one that doesn't stop at including all of the dark (and slightly twisted) elements present in your traditional Hansel and Gretels and Red Riding Hoods a la Brothers Grimm.

A peculiarly-dressed man robs a bank stealing not money, but items of sentimental value and the SOULS of the patrons; victims who are soon plunged into a haphazard, frightening world where tattoos come to life, women metamorphose into sweet treats and husbands turn
Mar 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I really struggle with these kinds of adult fairy tales where magical things happen and everyone generally acts as though it's somewhat normal. I'm constantly trying to analyze and figure out what everything MEANS so that I can't relax and enjoy it. Fortunately this novella is short enough to read in one sitting so I tried to just sit back and ride this imaginative wave.

A bank robber goes into a bank but instead of stealing money he takes an item of sentimental value from each person. The resul
Erin
Dec 14, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short novel packs a whole lot of crazy, weird and whimsical happenings in 80 odd pages. I loved every minute of reading it, not to mention the great illustrations.

A thief walks into a bank and demands each person give him their most emotionally valued item (that they have at the time) . There are consequences to relinquishing these items and this story tells us what happens to those who give them up. Some are amazing, some tragic. All are wonderfully strange and fun to read.
Anne
Jan 15, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very small, but oh so beautifully formed. The Tiny Wife is really a novella at 88 pages and it is very easy to read the whole book in just one sitting, in fact I expect anyone who picks this up will not put it down again until they have read to the very last line. Beautifully presented in a gorgeous little hardback volume - very similar to the Ladybird books that we all know and love from our childhood, and illustrated expertly with silhouette drawings by the very talented Tom Percival.
An astoun
  • Jag ringer mina bröder
  • A Walk In The Park
  • Exchange
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Free Preview - The First 14 Chapters
  • King Dork (King Dork, #1)
  • Republic Of Dirt : A Return to Woefield Farm (Woefield, #2)
  • Det mest förbjudna
  • Norrtullsligan
  • Den onde dagen (Sagaen om Isfolket, #44)
  • Att föda ett barn (Maj, #1)
  • The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
  • Billy and Me (Billy and Me, #1)
  • Barnbruden
  • One Million Lovely Letters: When life is looking hopeless, one inspirational letter can change your life forever
ANDREW KAUFMAN's critically acclaimed first book, All My Friends Are Superheroes, was a cult hit and has been translated into six languages. Kaufman is also an accomplished screenwriter, film-maker and radio producer and has completed a Director's Residency at the Canadian Film Centre. He lives in Toronto with his wife and their two children.
More about Andrew Kaufman...

“Perhaps one of the hardest things about having kids is realizing that you love someone more than your wife. That it's possible to love someone more than you love your wife. What's even worse is that it's a love you don't have to work at. It's just there. It just sits there, indestructible, getting stronger and stronger. While the love for your wife, the one you do have to work at, and work so very hard at, gets nothing. Gets neglected, left to fend for itself. Like a houseplant forgotten on a windowsill.” 11 likes
“But I'm here to tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. Your soul is a living, breathing, organic thing. No different than your heart or your legs. And just like your heart keeps your blood oxygenated and your legs keep you moving around, your soul gives you the ability to do amazing, beautiful things.” 7 likes