Start by marking “Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)

Scarlet (Scarlet #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  18,708 Ratings  ·  2,417 Reviews
The people of Nottinghamshire know Will Scarlet as Robin Hood’s shadow, a slip of a boy who throws daggers with deadly accuracy and an accomplished thief with an unerring eye for treasure. A select few know that Will is actually Scarlet, a young woman “recruited” by Robin two years earlier as he wandered the alleys of London. But no one knows who the real Scarlet is, what ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA

Khanh (the Grinch)

This is an alternate retelling of Robin Hood, where Will Scarlet is a hemorrhoidal pain in the ass who talks like a Monty Python and the Holy Grail cast reject that gets involved in a horrifyingly painful love triangle WITH ROBIN HOOD AND LITTLE JOHN.

There are two facts about Will Scarlet that you should know before starting this book.

1. Will Scarlet is actually a "she," a girl disguised as a boy

2. The "Scarlet" in her name refers to the fact that SHE CAN'T STOP FUCKING BLUSHING*

*That's actually
Claire
I don't know about anyone else but when I think of Robin Hood I think of this:

Wait, I'm the only one who pictured him like that? Huh. Blame my childhood.
Anyway, when I first started reading this book I admittedly imagined Robin Hood as being pretty hot. Like a total fox. (GET IT?!)
Granted, the Robin Hood in this story was not the main character. Rather, the main character was a young woman who everyone knew as Scarlet. Her identity is mysterious and only a few people know that she's secretly a
Soumi
Scarlet is wrenching and moving story of love and friendship, bravery and loyalty, a retelling of the legend of Robin Hood, only the voice of narration was Scarlet. Yes Will Scarlet, the most skilled knife- handling young fellow of Robin, in the traditional tales, famous for his hot temper. But he’s not actually what we think he is. He’s no lad; he’s a lass; a girl hiding her true identity in men’s cloth.

description

Being a part of the merry men, Scarlet was always successful to hide the truth from rest of
Ferdy

A retelling of Robin Hood where Will Scarlet, a member of Robin's band is a actually girl in disguise.
-The storyline didn't really entertain me, it was boring and the real action only really kicked in towards the end.
-The narrative was strange, it was part present tense and part past tense, I couldn't get my head around it.
-The British-isms and British slang didn't read right AT ALL, it felt forced and it made me cringe at how hard it tried to sound authentically British.
-The love trian
Duckie
Aug 08, 2012 Duckie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read a version of the Robin Hood story where I wanted the sheriff to win. Flimsy characters, clunky writing and gaping plot holes mangle what otherwise might have been a decent YA novel.

The narrative is in Scarlet's voice but it's pretty hard to tell what that is, exactly. It's vaguely British and vaguely working-class but is rooted in neither Yorkshire nor London, where she claims to be from at different points in the novel. Like the plot, it also shows up when it fe
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
*Re-read for tomoorrrroowwwww!!*

His hands came on either side of my face, holding me up to him. Waves were crashing in his eyes, sure and strong and sweeping. "You are my whole heart, Scarlet. And this is breaking it."

I don't know. I don't know how I came across this or why it spoke to me...but it did. Even today I am still giddy and weightless when I think about this book. How amazing is it when you find something that, while it seems intriguing, doesn't necessarily scream, 'You will love me'
Kimberly Sabatini
May 07, 2012 Kimberly Sabatini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya
OMG!!!! I loved this book. I'm going to start this review by announcing something that I NEVER expected to say (John--if you're reading this you should close your eyes and skip ahead) ROBIN HOOD IS MY NEW BOYFRIEND!!!! There, it's out in the open. Phew--I feel better now. I know that once you read this--you're going to want him too--but just remember I said it first and this post is time-stamped. But don't worry, you don't have to be turned away empty handed--Rob's band of Merry Men are pretty d ...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Dec 05, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to read about Robin Hood finally meeting his match heroine-wise
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

"We do what we do because there's something we can do about it. Things like 'how long' and 'what if' aren't part of that. It's about the hope, not the horror."

Scarlet, 2012 debut novel fromA.C. Gaughen, takes the legends and characters associated with Robin Hood and spins them all into an engrossing story focusing on a secretive thief who's much more than meets the eye. The people of Nottinghamshire know the thief as Will Scarlet, knife-wielding companion to Robin Hood,
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Take a badass female lead who knows how to throw a knife and whose snarky inner comments made me laugh - but who blushes way too much for no reasons.

Give her a good shake : there's hope for her in the sequel, I hope, I know it.

She only has to let go of her split personality and I'll truly appreciate her.

Just sayin'.

Take a fantastic past earl who becomes the archetype of the broody but selfless hero - you know, Robin Hood, who made my heart beat like crazy thanks to his full awesomeness annn
Angie
Mar 04, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually give star ratings for novels anymore, simply because I know how much soul goes into creating and publishing a book. But with SCARLET, I couldn't NOT give this debut 5 whopping stars. This is the BEST novel I've read in a very very long time. It had me completely sucked in from chapter one, and I didn't want it to end when the last page crept up.
Scarlet is a fabulously complex girl. I loved her so much--strong and independent, with demons in her past and a fearful secret revolvin
Sophia Sardothien
This is my second time reading this, I have to say I love it more than the first time! This book got me tearing up so much <3
Steph Sinclair
A feminine twist on one of my favorite stories ever, Robin Hood?! Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes!
Rachel Carter
May 27, 2016 Rachel Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy-paperback
Loved. It's funny because I think I was more invested in the action than romance in this one, but there still isn't anything I would change. Reminded me of the way Moira Young writes, only a different setting. Will definitely be reading its sequel.
Jen (in her Unicorn Bubble)
Scarlet was an adventurous story that was filled to the brim with excitement and hardships at many turns. I was a little nervous stepping into a book that contained characters that I hold near and dear to my heart, but I loved how Scarlet felt familiar yet was uniquely different at the same time! While I did have some issues with a love triangle, I can't wait to see what happens with the rest of this trilogy. Especially after that fabulous life and death ending!
I swallowed. “We watch each other
Angie
Nov 09, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angie by: Emily Ellsworth
Okay. You are all familiar with my . . . what's the word . . . thing . . . for thieves. And Robin is perhaps the thief I've loved the longest. So it should come as no surprise when I say that I was filled with glee when I first heard about A. C. Gaughen's upcoming retelling--SCARLET. I liked the cover and, without running down too many spoilery details, I looked forward to the focus on Will Scarlet and the fact that it hailed from a debut author. All of these things add up to that most wonderful ...more
Teryna90
The first thing that came to mind as soon as I figured out this was about Robin Hood's band was the Robin Hood song that the italian cartoon singer Cristina D'avena sang, here's the link if you'd like to listen to it, it's really adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdXx....

description
I grew up with Robin Hood's cartoons and soon fell in love with all the movies and the stories... and when I found out that one of my fav author had actually wrotten Robin Hood, not only did I feel stupid but also e
Fenia
OMG FLAWLESS BOOK. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Since childhood i always had an attachment with the story of Robin Hood. and it always felt close to home. And then i read this. and WOW. BRILLIANT TWIST.

Scarlet is such an amazing character. so strong and badass. reading her thoughts made me feel badass. Rob..OH MY GOD. GIVE ME MY ROB!!! We should all get a Rob!!! JUST UGHHH I LOVE HIMMMM!!! :P *crazy eyes* . Much,he's an adorable little puppy and smart. John..well when he's not trying to ruin my ship
Trisha Wolfe
Mar 03, 2012 Trisha Wolfe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this so my kind of story. A stubborn, brash, get-out-of-my-way-and-let-me-do-my-thing lead character, who is flawed realistically, yet fierce, brave and determined—Scarlet is a strong lead who had me rooting for her the whole time. The only girl among Robin Hood’s band of thieves, she hides away, playing the role of a young boy, while her past is steadily sneaking up on her in the form of a Thief Taker named Lord Gisbourne.Though she doesn't let that hold her back from trying to help the cit ...more
Diana Stormblessed
I am a sucker for a good historical retelling, and a strong heroine to be honest, and this book had everything I was looking for.

Scarlet is a member of Robin Hood's band of thieves. Few outside the group know that she's a girl, as she disguises herself as Will Scarlet. In the legends and movies of past Robin Hoods, Will was often considered Robin's best friend, and was always played by the cutest, dorkiest boys. In case you need a reminder:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Photobucket

Robin Hood: Men in
Winnie
Aug 17, 2016 Winnie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I have always loved Robin hood even as a child and A.C. Gaugher is writing it so good, I love Robin, John and Much and Scarlet is an amazing badass girl ;) I know I have given many books lately 5 starts but I guess I have had an good book year ^^

Re-read before Lady Thief, I just love this book and Robin Hood <3 Just aww, I love Robin, John, Much and Scarlet!! I can't wait to start Lady Thief and I hope it is as good ;)<3
Regan
Jan 01, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5/5 I really enjoyed the character Scarlet.

The story was very intriguing, and I am not going to lie I am a sucker for retellings (Robin Hood). It was a quick and easy read, with a strong kick ass female leading the show. Plus, Rob was not so bad either ;)
Maria (highinthebooksky)
aaaaaaaah where is the sequel ???? oh yeah on my e Reader! goodbye friends ! i have to continue! soooo freaking good I can't even!
rob and scar just woow *_*
Ellis
This review originally appeared on Finding Bliss in Books.

Scarlet is one of those books that come with a lot of hype. It is also one of those books I was only mildly interested in. Whenever I saw someone gushing about it, I adopted an "eh, we'll see, maybe one day" attitude. That person? Don't listen to her. She is wrong. Luckily, Meg realised just how wrong the way I was living my life was and sent me a copy. I'm always in for a Red Riding Hood retelling, so I moved it up on the TBR pile. Then
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen is the newest Robin Hood retelling. Y’all, I love the story of Robin Hood and I was extremely excited to pick this book up. I am happy to tell you that Scarlet more than lived up to my expectations! It has a comfortable spot on the list of best fantasy books I’ve ever read.

In Scarlet, the main character is a well known Robin Hood character re-imagined as a girl. She is fierce and loyal – such a fantastic character. But she definitely has some skeletons in her closet that
Susan
Jan 23, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I opened this book, and after reading the dialect, I thought, "Huh...I'm not sure I'll be able to read this..." Then, three pages later, I was so sucked into the story, I stopped noticing the dialect. All I saw was Scarlet's VOICE--and let me tell you, she has one. A powerful, compelling, stubborn-as-hell voice that fits every impulsive, disgruntled course of action she chooses.

To be honest, impulsive MCs are pretty common (erm...my own...::coughcough::), but Scarlet is easily the most convincin
Anne Osterlund
Oct 05, 2012 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scar. That’s what the boys call her: Rob and Little John and Much. They respect her. Know she’s good with a knife and she can steal anything. And she knows Nottingham prison better than the mark on her face.

But Scar doesn’t want them to know everything. They don’t need to know about Joanna. Or why Scarlet can’t keep down a solid meal. Or how she wound up thieving on the streets of London.

Then Guy of Gisbourne arrives in Nottingham on a mission--a mission the sheriff and boys and the townsfolk al
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
What a RIDE!!! I LOVED A.C. Gaughen's twist of the tale of Robin Hood!!

I could not get enough of the fierce, loyal, and equally deadly Scarlet! She really was as badass as they come!! I LOVED HER!!

4 Stars

SCARLET was an awesome retelling of ROBIN HOOD!! I loved the twist that A.C. Gaughen put on the ROBIN HOOD classic! She spun the original ROBIN HOOD tale, with her own freshly imaginative twist, that brings a whole new world of characters, obstacles and adventure!

I loved that the drama, ac
Joy
Dec 10, 2012 Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recently a friend introduced me to the term "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
I wasn't sure what that meant until I read Scarlet. A female character a "Mary Sue" or male "Gary Stu" is an impossible character. They can do no wrong, everyone loves them, everyone needs them, they know everything and can do it all better than anyone.
I'm a Robin Hood fan. I thought the idea behind Scarlet was promising. A different take on the legend. Will Scarlet actually being a female,
Ann
Aug 07, 2016 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I do what I do because I will always believe that no matter how awful life gets for however many of these people, there is something I can do about it. There is something I will do about it."

This book was a great start to a series and I freaking loved it! What makes me even more excited it's that I think we're going to get an amazing character development through out the rest of the trilogy and I already can't wait!
On the other hand, Scarlet and Rob were SO adorable, I truly need to read more
Veronica Morfi
Rating: 2/5

Let me start this review by saying that I am a huge Robin Hood fangirl. It all started from the anime I used to watch back in the day. I mean what little girl wouldn't fall in love with him.

Remember, I was like 10. And that was what sparked my interest for archery, which I've only tried once, but I am also an archer on video games, so technically I have a whole lot of experience. Anyways, I am rambling. Going in this book I expected a lot of action, a lot of stealing and obviously a
Crazy for Young A...: Scarlet (Scarlet #1) by A.C. Gaughen → Start Date: October 7th 2015 25 28 Oct 17, 2015 10:02AM
the girl on the cover of scarlet 1 27 Mar 20, 2015 02:20PM
Any books similar to this? 17 184 Dec 04, 2014 06:35PM
PNR/UF Addicts & ...: Scarlet - A.C. Gaughen 3 59 Oct 20, 2013 09:30PM
Is there going to be a sequel???? 29 165 Jul 28, 2013 03:46AM
The Bookends: May read: Scarlet 1 8 Jun 02, 2013 06:05PM
Young Adult Histo...: Scarlet - May 2013 2 22 May 05, 2013 07:03PM
  • The Wicked and the Just
  • The Traitor in the Tunnel (The Agency, #3)
  • Robin: Lady of Legend (The Classic Adventures of the Girl Who Became Robin Hood)
  • A Breath of Eyre (Unbound, #1)
  • The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, #2)
  • Gilt
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
  • Katana (Katana, #1)
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • Ripper (Ripper, #1)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Secret Letters
  • Vessel
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!
More about A.C. Gaughen...

Scarlet (3 books)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)

“You are my whole heart, Scarlet. And this is breaking it.'

My heart cracked open and clear dropped out of me. My mouth opened, and I looked round me and stamped my foot. 'Does this look like a good time to tell me that, you damn stupid boy?' I meant to sound mean but my voice wobbled. 'Now?'

He gave a little smile. 'My foul-mouthed warrior.”
190 likes
“I know what it's like when you can't get no one to listen to you. When what you say don't matter. I half think every girl knows what it's like to be silenced.” 164 likes