Start by marking “Big Fat Lies” as Want to Read:
Big Fat Lies

Big Fat Lies

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  24 reviews
'Diets and exercise won't help us lose weight. Vitamins and minerals are a waste of money and sometimes downright dangerous. Sugar makes us fat and sick. And polyunsaturated fat gives us cancer and works with sugar to give us heart disease. This book exists because I desperately hope that with a little knowledge we can all vote with out feet and change the rules of the gam ...more
Published 2012 by Penguin Viking

To ask other readers questions about Big Fat Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Fat Lies

Wade
I wish someone in the Australian Health Foundation had the balls to change their stance in the light of Mr Gillespie's research. The resulting battle would make a lot of what passes for Australian current affairs look like schoolyard teasing.

Yes, David Gillespie's research and conclusions are that earth-shattering. Basically, nearly everything you've been taught by health care professionals, nutrionists, and above all weight-loss and fitness centres is flat wrong. We shouldn't eat sugar, nor see
Cheyenne Blue
Dec 01, 2012 Cheyenne Blue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheyenne by: Found in the latest houseit
So in a world of diet books, nutrition books and exercise books, we have a book written by a lawyer (?!) which claims that dieting makes you fat, the nutrition bodies of the world are lying to you, and exercise is a waste of time better spent reading his book.

Really?

I picked this up, read a few chapters that interested me most (there is a fair bit of "technical" hoo-hah), and skimmed the rest.

Gillespie's drum is that we eat too much sugar (well, yeah), polyunsaturated fats, particularly seed oil
Les Walters
Mar 15, 2012 Les Walters rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All concerned about healthy eating
Shelves: will-read-again
Sub-titled, "How the Diet Industry is Making You Sick, Fat, and Poor."

See http://sweetpoison.com.au/

Full of very scary information about issues that affect the health of us all. I found it rather too technical for my taste in parts, though I can understand the author's reasons.

It's almost overwhelming, but I believe this book should be widely disseminated and absorbed by all. We need to take a stand for our health and survival against the tide of greed that has just about swamped us.

David Gill
Anne Green
Promoted as an expose of diet myths, lies and general nonsense peddled by those with vested interests, this book is written by a lawyer with a vested interest in selling books I suspect.

OK maybe some of the stuff he quotes is true, or half true, or a quarter true. When it comes to statistics and quoted studies, you can almost prove the moon is square if you’re clever enough (and quote enough statistics and studies to bore the pants off the reader to the extent they don’t give a damn either way
Annica
If you didn't know that refined sugars aren't good for you, especially if you'd like to lose weight, then maybe this book will be informative to some degree. I'd really warn about the other advise delivered by David - a lawyer who's attempted to summarise medical information, a subject in which he has no training or experience. He promises that you will lose weight without exercising as long as you cut out sugar from your diet and goes on to advise that animal fats are not harmful and all nutrit ...more
David Driscoll
The claims of scientific research to back the claims in this book are ridiculous. Spending at least five minutes on pubmed or google scholar will show how much David Gillespie distorts and misquotes the research - looking at reviews articles will put his quotes into perspective and show how much cherry-picking goes on to 'support' the conclusions!

It is one thing to say that you have had a personal experience and found something, it is another to suggest that this information is cutting edge scie
Lis
This could be a life changing book.
I found it fairly straightforward to read, an even amusing in places although I have to admit to skimming over a few of the "science bits".
I want to believe the findings and experience of David Gillespie wholeheartedly but am hesitating because a. it seems so simplistic and obvious and b. because it goes against everything almost everyone else is saying about our health and diet.
Give up sugar and seed oils and get healthier, thinner.... It's got to be worth a g
Alex

Once you read his previous book, it is a bit repetitive. The advice on vitamins and minerals is worth reading. His advice on sugar seems interesting and worth a try. The new stuff on seed oils I am still not convinced, but I am convinced that saturated fats are not the problem, but rather sugar or the amount of sugar in the modern diet.
Andrea
Subtitled "How the diet industry is making you Sick, Fat and Poor". The book was recommended to me by a colleague after a discussion about how margarine is actually worse for you than butter. Quite controversial in places, but interesting reading so far.
Kirsten
Very eye opening. He's also quite funny at times. Everyone should try this book. Even if you don't agree with it in the end.
Michael Adcock
Awesome book that debunks many myths about nutrition, and in particular sugar, but also vitamins and oils (I don't find the oils side as compelling personally).

David Gillespie, the author, is an ex-lawyer. He uses his evidence based training to look at the scientific evidence against sugar, vitamins, and oils. Particularly of interest he interweaves history and economics to show how we started down this path and who profits from it; John Grisham couldn't even make something this insidious up.

If
Karen
Oil ain't oil!
In motor engines or our corporeal ones.
That' lesson #1 learned here.
Otherwise quite a jump-start & stall-out book filled with salient facts about nutrition, weight and health, but no clear structure.
A good thumb-through and recommended reading even if you skip bits.
Jo
Well, this one is due back at the library tomorrow. I'm 3/4 of the way through. I don't see me finishing it.

It was okay. The authors general attitude to exercise was annoying. Every mention of exercise came along with some remark about donning on the lycra. I got a vibe from the guy that he just really doesn't like exercise. Which to me is just about as useful as a grown adult who declares 'I don't eat vegetables.' Maybe he never found a form of exercise he enjoyed.

The info was alright. Nothing
Yvonne Walus
A fascinating read. Everybody who thinks they know something about nutrition should read it and weep...
Mary
A compelling analysis of the evidence (or lack thereof) about the role of polyunsaturated fats in our health and the potential for them to cause serious harm. If it is true, then everyone needs to know. I would really like to hear a nutritionist or health person's genuine response to the arguments in this book (rather than just assertions that because of what is currently taught he must be wrong).

Amazing book.

Natacha
Judy MacDonnell
This is an excellent book, with credible arguments about why we should not use sugar or seed oils. It will certainly change the way I view things from now on, and I agree - it should be mandatory reading for all, especially those in government and in the food industry.
Melanie
This book will change your life. Seriously.
Wendy
Oct 04, 2013 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This book is a must read for anyone interested in improving their health. David Gillespie just states the facts about the foods we eat. It was very informative and has certainly given me lots to think about regarding the sugar and oils that are in our food.
Taryn
Third of 3 books that have left me feeling disgusted at the way we are misled when it comes to nutrition. Major changes are ahead in this kitchen pantry!
Anita
Jan 05, 2013 Anita added it
Insufficient research references to support his conclusions (which are eliminate sugar and switch from polyunsaturated fats back to saturated fats).
Victoria
This book makes so much sense. Explodes myths. Offers advice backed up by science. Entertaining. Easy to read.
Tim
May 13, 2012 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: health
An interesting, thought proving read, backed up by an analysis of research studies
Marion Husband
Very interesting, give up sugar and seed oils, basically, makes sense
Rebekah Jones
Rebekah Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
نجاة بنجابي
نجاة بنجابي marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Big Fat Lies 2 6 Feb 05, 2014 11:03AM
  • I Quit Sugar
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Starting & Running Your Own Small Farm Business: Small-Farm Success Stories * Financial Assistance Sources * Marketing & Selling Ideas * Business Plan Forms & Documents
  • What the Yuck?: The Freaky and Fabulous Truth About Your Body
  • Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating
  • I Want What She's Having, Now!: Exactly How You Can Be So Hot & Healthy You'll Barely Recognize Yourself
  • Gluten Is My Bitch: Rants, Recipes, and Ridiculousness for the Gluten-Free
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Track
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Just Between Us
  • The Better Brain Book
  • Political Animal: The Making of Tony Abbott
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Diet and Nutrition Claims
  • Your Handwriting Can Change Your Life
  • The Misogyny Factor
1980643
David Gillespie is a recovering corporate lawyer, former co-founder of a successful software company and investor in several software startups.

He is also the father of six young children (including one set of twins). With such a lot of extra time on his hands, and 40 extra kilos on his waistline, he set out to investigate why he, like so many in his generation, was fat.

He deciphered the latest med
More about David Gillespie...
Sweet Poison, Why Sugar Makes Us Fat Sweet Poison Quit Plan Toxic Oil: Why Vegetable Oil Will Kill You And How To Save Yourself Sweet Poison Quit Plan Cookbook