Start by marking “Soul and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #1)

Soul and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In ancient Egypt, a young priestess of the goddess Hathor is laid to rest in a beautiful tomb with everything she needs for her journey into the afterlife…

Three thousand years later, archaeologist Ursula Allingham discovers the mummy of Amisihathor and is confronted by a mystery. Is the man buried with the priestess really her husband? Or was she actually in love with a sc
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 138 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Imajin Books (first published November 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Soul and Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul and Shadow

Jesse Christiansen
In this intelligent, sensitive, well-crafted first novel in the Lily Evans Mystery Series, the reader is ensnared by well-researched Egyptian historical magic, lulled by a deep yearning for love and identity, and enthralled by continuous twists of fun adventure.

As I read this book, I found myself charmed by its coziness and easy, yet articulate prose. Then McLeod weaves her magic subtly, and before long, readers will find themselves hypnotized by the deeper world that underwrites this book. Thro
Todd Fonseca
Soul and Shadows – Echoes of the Past

Egyptologist and illustrator Lily Evans finds her visions and dreams of ancient Egypt inspirational for her paintings. A wealthy and famous English archaeologist happens upon Lily’s work and believes that they are the result of a connection Lily has with the unsettled soul of an Egyptian priestess – Amisihathor. While Lily does not believe in such things, her visions and dreams become more and more intense as does her romance with Kent – the grandson of the v
Betty
Mysterious and romantic, a delightful surprise

A romantic adventure into the world of ancient Egypt, this book is a charmer. Light and fun early in the book until the paranormal slips in. Here we have the elements of two distinctly different women in love at different times in history with only the link of history to join them, or so it seems. The book was a delightful surprise to me.

Lily, a grad student and research assistant to a highly regarded professor in the field of Egyptology is in the ri
Dennis Batchelder
Nice mix of history, mystery, and romance

Susan McLeod's "Soul and Shadow" blends together Egyptian history and a modern day romance to make an engaging story. She tells it mostly in the present from the point of view of Lily Evans, a university researcher who studies and draws ancient Egypt artifacts.

At a museum exhibit Lily is approached by Dame Ursula Allingham, a retired archeologist. Dame Ursula wants to help set right an ancient problem: she's been haunted by Amisihathor, temple songstress
Cheryl
Lily Evans is an artist, who specializes in ancient Egyptian portraits. Maybe that’s why Dame Ursula Allingham approached her for Lily’s help. Ursula is a famous archeologist who unearthed Amisihathor. Lily will never forget the day that Ursula told her these words “I have a story to tell you”. Mrs. Allingham wants Lily to solve the true story about what happened between Amisihathor and Kahotep, her lover. Lily agrees. As Lily starts reading up on Amisihathor, something magical happens and it’s ...more
Lori Henrich
Lily Evans love everything Egyptian. She works for the University doing research and other work. When the new Egyptian exhibit opens she is thrilled to attend. Lily is approached by an older woman who has asked for her help solving a mystery. At first Lily thinks the women is a little off her rocker, but when she finds out that she is Dame Ursula the women who uncovered the items in the exhibit, she is excited to hear what she has to say. Kent is Ursala's grandson and Lily is very quickly drawn ...more
Glenn
Nov 16, 2008 Glenn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, romance, egypt
Shelves: indie-author
Soul and Shadow by Susan McLeod is a finely crafted story that combines the mysteries of ancient Egypt, a modern romance, and certain mystical occurrences that tie them together. The writing is excellent and the characters are interesting and memorable. Reaching the last third of the book, I couldn't put it down as several key plot twists played out - some in unexpected ways. I look forward to Ms. McLeod's next book.
Ryan Snyder
This book seemingly follows the lives of tow different woman. One- Lily- an Egyptologist and the other Amisihathor- a long- dead Egyptian priestess. Lily's life takes a complicated turn when an archaeologist discovers the tomb of the priestess and Lily is called in to help. Throw in a romance with the archaeologist's grandson, and her silly best friend and you have a book I literally could not put down.

I have a bit of a history geek hiding inside me somewhere and Egypt is such a unique and fasc
Linda
Lily Evans, Research Assistant To Professor Peter Briggs As Well As An Artist, Was Pleased That Amishathor The Ancient Mummy Came To Town Even Though Most People Couldn't Pronounce Her Name. New York Would Benefit From Her Arrival! As She Stood Looking At The Treasure That Was Amisi. Suddenly A Petite Older Woman Asked If She Was Lily Evans And From That Point On, Lily Was Caught Up In The Intrigue That Asmi Had Started Centuries Ago Was Why She And Her Husband Were Not Entombed Together And Wha ...more
Rai
Dec 08, 2008 Rai rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in ancient Egypt, mysteries, romance
Egyptian mystery

I have been fascinated by ancient Egypt my whole life, so I was delighted when I came across Soul and Shadow. I found the story immediately engaging. I happily and eagerly kept turning the pages of this book. The author has done a wonderful job incorporating research into this light mystery tale. The story has a double-storyline that weaves seamlessly back and forth between the present and the past through a clever plot. I enjoyed both timelines equally. The author deftly shows t
Fran
Soul and Shadow

Author: Susan McLeod

Reviewed by: Fran Lewis

Two sets of lovers one from the present and the second from the past whose lives become intertwined and expertly woven together in Susan McLeod’s novel Soul and Shadow.

Amisihathor was a songstress in the temple of Hathor. Her position was to sing and bring joy and pleasure to the goddess. This was a revered and honored position. Married to Kahotep, a powerful priest of Horus, she was to be buried along side him in the same tomb.

Amish
Kathy
Mar 28, 2015 Kathy added it
Past and present collide

This was a fun find. I have always found ancient Egypt to be fascinating. The author does a good job of blending history and present in a fun tale that will keep you guessing. I enjoyed the book very much and look forward to the sequel.
Dawn Edwards
Mystery, Romance, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, Wow!

Ms. McLeod has done a terrific job of mixing these four genre into an exceptionally well-written story. Her book skillfully tells parallel love stories three centuries apart.

Ms. McLeod has done impeccable research on the Egyptian history to bring about the interweaving of the love stories in modern day and early Egyptian customs. Once reading, I could hardly put this book down. Terrific writing, Ms. McLeod. I'll be looking for your next book
mountainmama
When a young research assistant attends an Egyptian exhibit she is drawn into a quest to solve an ancient secret. Discovering a dream-like magical connection to the entombed Amisihathor, Lily Evans travels back to discover the real story and helps the unsettled soul find her way to peace. In the process, she falls in love, confronts an ex-boyfriend, uncovers some unsavory truths, and almost loses her life.

Beautifully written and superbly edited, the story is fast-paced, well-constructed, and eas
Judy Porter
Lily shares her life. With the pas. Learns life lessons.

Excellent writing entwining the present with the past life with death. And love sneaking in gently

Highly recommend for teens adults make and female.
Melissa
I liked this book.

The writing was easy and flowing and not once did I have to re-read a sentence due to grammar and misspelling issues. The story line is enticing and captivates you right from the beginning. The characters are charming,relatable and real. I recommend this book to everyone. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

That said...The cover. Please don't judge this book by its cover. If I could call the author and tell her to re-design it and re-publicize it I would. Not only does the d
Susan
I loved everything about this book! I loved the vivid visions of ancient Egypt and Amisi's tragic story. I loved all of the characters, especially Lily's cat Cleocatra! The conversations between the characters was realistic and witty. Love triangles can be annoying but in this case it worked. I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't resolved in this book, but since this is the first in a series I suppose it isn't surprising. Soul and Shadow really held my attention because there were mysteries t ...more
Cat
I liked the premise, especially because I really love stories about ancient Egypt. I'm not sure that I liked the way the storyline was executed, however overall it was an okay read. The ending is definitely unclear, so be prepared.

Besides the fact that Lily is asked to channel the spirit of a dead priestess, the story is pretty normal. The characters are realistic and believable (in fact, Lily's mother reminds me so much of my own...). My issue with the book is the way the flashbacks are done -
Kitty
I enjoyed the Egyptian stuff, and it was an original storyline. However, the writing style felt a little... inexperienced, perhaps?
Maria
This premier novel by Susan McLeod is full of unexpected twists, turns, mystery, and romance. Lily Evans, an artist and expert on ancient Egypt, begins her adventure when she meets a charming and eccentric woman while viewing a new display at the museum. This encounter also leads Lily to Kent, who does his best to convince her that he is the man of her dreams. What happens next is a clever unraveling of ancient and not so ancient secrets, some of which are deadly. This book was published by lulu ...more
Nicole
The main character is working hard in the Egyptology department at her university when approached by a famous archaeologist in her field. From that moment she starts having visions of life in Egypt. The life mimics her own.

It's a very interesting read and a great story. The story ends kind of abruptly and leaves a lot unanswered. Apparently there is a sequel that may answer more questions. It was a fun book and would recommend it.
Robin
Really enjoyed this book, though I'm not crazy about Stephen, I'm not sure why Lily would put up with his interfering in her life and being so bossy and dismissive of her ideas and beliefs. I'm hoping Lily and Kent can work out their problems, I really like Kent and think he is a positive in Lily's life. Katy is a hoot and I love her enthusiasm for life.
Very interesting book - a little shorter than I would have liked, but that's ok, too. Good character dynamics and a good twist at the end. I loved it when Lily would dream back in time, living the memories of an Egyptian songstress... Very detailed and made the scene very easy to see in my mind's eye.
Anne
Lily is a research assistant for an Egyptologist. She gets caught up in a mystery involving items in the new exhibit at the museum. Weird things start to happen and a handsome stranger shows up as well.

First in a series. Fun read, especially if you like all things Egyptian!
Rachel
The plot seemed like it had promise, but the writing was spotty at best. The story didn't flow, and there were many holes in the plot that would be easy to flesh out and would make it a much better story.
Kathy Rabkin
I didn't really enjoy this book too much. Although easy to read and nicely written, there was too little history and too much romance. It also ended too suddenly leaving me feeling as if it was unfinished.
Kerr
The ending was a little predictable perhaps, and rather abrupt. but then there's apparently another one, (cant find it) Fire and Shadow.

Still, quite a good shortish story.
Ruby
very intriguing story that keeps you on your toes. was not expecting the ending at all, to either story. that's all i will say so as not to spoil. my advice--just read it ;)
Ronda Blanke geiger
This was an interesting book. It left something to be desired at the but if the second book finishes some of the loose ends it may be worth the read.
Ray
Enjoyed this one. I will continue the series as new books are written.
  • Trusting Evil
  • City of Darkness (City of Mystery, #1)
  • Amelia's Last Secret
  • Rowena Through the Wall
  • The Storm Killer
  • Shadows of St. Louis
  • Sink or Swim
  • Spring's Fury (The Graistan Chronicles, #3)
  • A Hint of Murder (All Three Stories)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • The Weight of Glass
  • The Aslaric Vampire (Eternal Death, #1)
Susan Jane McLeod has been writing since she was seven years old. The best job she ever had was managing a bookstore. Susan also writes short stories and poetry, and has won awards in both mediums. She is an ovarian cancer survivor and currently works for a non-profit family foundation that runs Zara's Center, a home for AIDS-impacted orphans.
More about Susan J. McLeod...

Lily Evans Mystery (3 books)
  • Fire and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #2)
  • Shell And Shadow: A Lily Evans Romantic Fantasy (Lily Evans Mystery, #3)
Fire and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #2) Shell And Shadow: A Lily Evans Romantic Fantasy (Lily Evans Mystery, #3) Deadly Dozen: 12 Mystery/Thriller Novels by Bestselling Imajin authors