Start by marking “Mennonite Girl” as Want to Read:
Mennonite Girl

Mennonite Girl

The daughter of a Mennonite preacher, Mary struggles with the trials of growing up Mennonite in non-Mennonite community. With wit and clarity, Mary recounts her youth in the Welcome Inn, balancing her family values with her own unique take on the world around her.
The edition is out of print.
Published May 2011 by Bryler Publications

To ask other readers questions about Mennonite Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mennonite Girl

Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 28, 2013 Literary Chanteuse rated it really liked it
Shelves: bios-memoirs
An enjoyable look at a young woman's life growing up in rual Oklahoma and later Ontario, Canada. The author tells the story in a way that feels like I am in a room listening to her. Entertaining with humor and a look at the past with religion playing a big part of her upbringing. If you are a fan of memoirs this one is worth the read.
Heather Rapin
Apr 23, 2012 Heather Rapin rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I have bought an extra copy for a friend. This book gave me a good understanding of how it was to grow up in a Mennonite family but it is also a poignant tale of family, tradition and a time in history. Mary's descriptions of Hamilton's North End are accurate and I was especially excited to visit the new Welcome Inn in Hamilton recently and walk past some of the buildings that are still standing there today. Mary Ediger's descriptions of family and community ev ...more
Jan Pottie
Aug 10, 2012 Jan Pottie rated it it was amazing
Mennonite Girl hit close to home and I am not even Mennonite! I kept inserting myself in the story, playing my own games with Mary,the young Mennonite girl, and her imaginary toys; regretting that I ever laughed at Granny's rifle in the Beverly Hillbillies, following the logic and especially the loopholes in logic-dancing must never be witnessed (a helpful technicality!), K-Tel's 20 Explosive Hits may possibly enter the house if received as a gift at Christmas. Plead ignorance and sneak. How fam ...more
Libby Broadbent
Mar 09, 2012 Libby Broadbent rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It tells the story of a young girl's life in a big family, growing up under the umbrella of the Mennonite faith. The writing is fresh and vivid, each scene plays like a movie of a child's life, full of questions and insight and humor. The story is not what the reader might expect... this is not a story of horse drawn buggies and making bread in a kitchen with no electricty. This is the story of a family putting their faith into action, living in a city in the late sixties, down ...more
Dorothy
Apr 17, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book! The stories are fun, the characters are fabulously developed and the writing style grabs your attention right away. There is plently of humour and also some poignant moments as Mary describes the trials and tribulations of her growing up years. There are many "uh-huh" moments as Mary recounts events, thoughts and feelings that many readers will readily identify with. I think this book would be enjoyed by a wide variety of people, whether they have connections with Menn ...more
Kathy Provost
Apr 10, 2012 Kathy Provost rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Mary managed to bring me back to a time during my own childhood, where many similar experiences occured. I had tears in my eyes recalling this time and those childhood memories which I had long forgotten. A wonderful read which filled me with my own bitter sweet recollections from a unique time in our history.. a time where changes was in the air.. and our hopes and dreams were taking flight.. good job Mary!
Judy Pye
May 15, 2012 Judy Pye rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to read. The author has a very rare talent of being able to thoroughly capture the reader and more importantly evoke strong emotions. I laughed, I cried and I giggled out loud as I read the story and I will always carry with me the memory of those wonderful, but very itchy homemade kilts.

Elizabeth Hemeon
Apr 18, 2012 Elizabeth Hemeon rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. It made you feel like you too lived in the Hamilton neighbourhood.
There was joy in the memoir and love of family in all descriptions of a unique family life few of us would have experienced. The book as well was very skilled in its language and construction. Bravo!!
Monica
Sep 01, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
I'm a little biased as my friend is the author. But I have to say, it was still a funny and charming book to read!
Marg
Apr 20, 2012 Marg rated it really liked it
I am reading this now and it is great! I recommend it right now! More when I am done.
Mary didn't disappoint me. I liked this a lot.
Janet
May 02, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
Love your style Mary! I can feel your humor and hear your laughter as I read this book! Hope you write more!
Susan
May 28, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susan by: Friends
A wonderful book full of humour. Very descriptive and great for all ages.
Irene
Apr 22, 2012 Irene rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Written with humour and filled with vivid details and descriptions, Mennonite Girl will stir up many of your own childhood memories whether you were raised a Mennonite or not.
Yvonne Mounsey
Apr 25, 2012 Yvonne Mounsey rated it really liked it
Enjoyable stories about an unusual and interesting childhood. Mary writes well and I look forward to more of her great stories.
Yvonne
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Viola
Viola rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Tiffany Jewer
Tiffany Jewer rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Mary Hoag
Mary Hoag rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Esther Willms
Esther Willms rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Diane Z.
Diane Z. rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Nicole O'brien
Nicole O'brien rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Alessandra Massaro
Alessandra Massaro rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Linda Tomusk
Linda Tomusk marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2012
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
May 02, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Andrea Shaddy
Andrea Shaddy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
Pam Klassen-dueck
Pam Klassen-dueck marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Laurie Carlson
Laurie Carlson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Ellen Harger
Ellen Harger marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Amy Lou
Amy Lou marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Marie Timms rainey
Marie Timms rainey marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 14, 2014
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Gwen Bumpers
Gwen Bumpers marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014