Start by marking “Summer With My Sister” as Want to Read:
Summer With My Sister

Summer With My Sister

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  634 ratings  ·  82 reviews
New beginnings and an old flame. Summer just got hotter...

Polly has always been the high-flier of the family, with the glamorous city lifestyle to match.

Clare is a single mum with two children, struggling to make ends meet in a ramshackle cottage. The two sisters are poles apart and barely on speaking terms.

But then Polly’s fortunes change unexpectedly and her world comes
Published June 7th 2012 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Summer With My Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer With My Sister

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuirePerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
Best Chick-Lit I've Ever Read
392nd out of 969 books — 2,056 voters
I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberRemember Me? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
No Young Adult Best Chick Lit Reads
234th out of 314 books — 316 voters

More lists with this book...

Best Books To Read
I am ashamed to say that I only picked up my first Lucy Diamond book last month. I was so glad that I did because I loved that book and made sure that I had her new one ready to read. Sue Mongredien (the author’s real name) has produced another fantastic book with this latest release. Polly has always been the sister that ‘made it’. With her high flying career she is lucky if she can even make time for her family, let alone friends and a social life. So when she loses her job and her home she is ...more
Rea Sinfield
I loved The Beach Cafe by Lucy Diamond last year and so it didn't take much persuading for me to buy her recent release Summer with my Sister.

It is quite clear from early on in this book that the two main characters Polly and Clare are two polls apart and they clearly do not get on and yet they are sisters! Polly has been living away from the family village and her parents are very prod at what she has achieved in her high powered job. Soon Polly's world is turned upside down when she is unexpec
Aileen
Polly Johnson lives in London she has a good job she is a workaholic with an excellent salary, however all that changes and Polly has to move back home to Elderchurch in her mother and Fathers spare room. She hasn’t told her parents and sister the real reason for her return but why?
Polly’s sister Clare is the opposite of her sister she is a single mum she works part time at the local surgery she struggles with money and has no maintenance from her ex Steve.
The two sisters are not close and don’t
Fiona
Lucy Diamond never fails ! Clare, a single mum with a pain in the rear ex husband is struggling to make ends meet. She buys second hand presents for the kids and part time makes home made toiletries to give as presents to friends and family. Polly ,her sister is a high flyer living in London. Her job and socialising takes up all her time and there is no such thing to her as taking a step back and looking at other things in life. Then things change, Polly is made redundant and has nowhere to go, ...more
Linda
I loved the pretty summery cover on this book and the book did not disappoint. A light easy read perfect for a summer holiday. Having a sister of my own made the book appeal too. About two very different sisters, one a family orientated girl and one a business woman thrown together one summer. Five stars from me.
Annie
The best of chick lit - just love Lucy Diamond, and hope I'll get round to reviewing this properly at some point. If you're going on holiday soon, don't leave this one at home or it'll spoil your holiday...
Kayla Oliver

This is our book club book! Really enjoyed it, found it a quick and easy read couldn't put it down and literally read it in 2 days!
Megan Jones
Polly, a high flyer, lives in London and has it all until she is made redundant and has to return home. There many truths have to be faced and relationships mended on a life changing journey. To begin with Polly was really annoying and uncomfortable to read but she turns softer and becomes a joy to read and discover. The other characters are well written and a joy to discover their stories. There are many side plots that add to the enjoyment of this. Overall this is a perfect summer beach read a ...more
Chris Bakos
Dec 08, 2014 Chris Bakos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys chick lit
Summer with My Sister by Lucy Diamond.
It is only this year that I added author Lucy Diamond to my reading list and so far her books have been a pleasure to experience. I still have a few books to read from this insightful author.
I have found her books to be filled with down to earth, believable and mostly likeable characters, without being too sugary sweet. Summer with My Sister was no exception. In fact one of the sisters was rather a self centred pain in the arse for at least half of the book
Summer with my Sister is the first of Lucy’s Diamond’s books that I have read. I wanted a quick, easy read and it didn’t disappoint.

The story focuses on Polly, an unlikeable character who finds herself at the top of her game working in ‘The City’ making unspeakable amounts of money. Inevitably she loses her job, and with it her swanky London flat, designer clothes and entire lifestyle. Humiliatingly (or so she thinks) she has to move back to the sleep village of Elderchurch to stay with her pare
Ingrid Fasquelle
Que vous soyez à la recherche d'une lecture estivale, rafraîchissante et divertissante, ou que vous cherchiez tout simplement à vous réconcilier avec la lecture, le roman de Lucy Diamond est à coup sûr le titre qu'il vous faut ! Amour et amitié, tels sont les thèmes principaux de cette histoire toute simple et pleine de vie, qui se lit en quelques heures et séduira tous les types de lecteurs !

Polly est des deux la sœur qui a toujours le mieux réussi dans la vie. Véritable bourreau de travail dou
Kim
Polly has always been the glamorous sister with the high flying job in the City and an expensive lifestyle to match whilst Claire is a single mum, struggling to make ends meet as she brings up her two children in a ramshackle cottage just around the corner from her parents who are her main support. The two sisters couldn’t be more different, they barely speak to each other any more and these days only get together around Christmas time each year.

Suddenly, Polly’s fortunes change and she finds
Wendy
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well developed and I could pictured them. I quickly found myself liking Clare and though I initially disliked Polly I found myself wanted to yell no at her when she 'talked' of going back to London and turned Jay down. This is my second or third book by Lucy Diamond that I have read and she is swiftly become one of my favourites for an easy, fun, lighthearted but sometimes serious read.
Georgina
Last year I read The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to see whether I would enjoy her latest novel Summer With My Sister.

Summer With My Sister is the perfect beach read, light, quick and entertaining. I liked that there were very few characters to keep track of which meant that I got fully involved in each character. In the beginning I completely disliked Polly but as the story unfolds I began to warm to her more and more.

The only thing I disliked about this
Danielle
I love Lucy Diamond books, and looking forward to be reading more books from this author.

The storyline wasn't too challenging and made for a great light hearted read, there were only a handful of characters which I love as there was no problem trying to remember who was who. I loved the build up the author created around the situation involving the girls brothers death this is what kept me turning the pages eager to find out what had happened.

This story is full of heartache, romance and family
BestChickLit.com
This book is a perfect summer holiday read: a sweet story of family values leaving you with a satisfied smile on your face. The storyline might seem a bit simple and sometimes predictable but there are a few heart wrenching hidden secrets to keep you interested. I really enjoyed the way your opinion of Polly changes as the story progresses and I found myself really routing for her and a happy ending despite her being such a cow in the beginning!

I would have liked to have know a bit more about th
Carol
Another great Lucy Diamond book, with great characters you can't help but warm to. I enjoyed both the sister's stories and the manner in which they came together. Who wouldn't want to live in Elderchurch?
Susan
Another escapist read. Wanted it to go on and not finish how it did. Like last Lucy Diamond book maybe more to come in future books about these characters. Good holiday read.
Clo
Really loved this book, Ihave had it sat on the shelves for months now and just never got round to reading it, ran out of books last week so had to read this one and was really happy with it, stuck with me for a while afterwards.
Two sisters totally different, one very rich and good job, other sister skint, with 2 kids and divorced - they couldn't be more different until the rich one loses her job and has to return home back to her parents and sister, at first she hates it but then she seems to d
Kylie G
Another easy going read from Lucy diamond. Could really identify with sibling unhappiness and so lovely that the family finds it's way back together.
Revathy Nair
Simply awesome!!! Anything else I would say would ruin the whole experience. I am reading this again and more of Lucy Diamond too
Bev
Easy, light read, enjoyed the messages in it about the importance of family & friends.
Asma Qadriyah
Its nt dat bad.. Its..... Okaishh.. Tilting towards a little blaahh side..
chippyvale
This is.. the 4th book from Diamond I've read I think? And I LOVE IT !!! =]
Katie
Basic storyline was good, but took forever to get to it!
Eeedawg
I am a huge chick-lit fan. In most chick-lit stories, you know who is going to end up with whom, and I always look for the original twists or humourous moments to enjoy the book. Summer with My Sister was lacking in these qualities. I found this book to be an extremely predictable plot with no laugh out loud moments or any special twist to make Lucy Diamond's tale an original one. The plot dragged on for almost 200 pages before it even started to get going. I probably would've enjoyed it a lot m ...more
Jennifer Whiteford
Really fun, well paced, hard to put down.
Sian Sladden
Easy read, read on the way to Florida
Mary
first book by this author wont be last. loved it all clare and pollys relationship was amazing great funny easy chic lit awesome
Beach book
  • Summer Daydreams
  • White Wedding
  • The Long Weekend
  • Ten Years On
  • The Au Pair
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
  • Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #1)
  • Warnings Of Gales
  • What I Did On My Holidays
  • Recipe for Love
  • Last Christmas
  • The Longest Holiday
First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lucy Diamond on Amazon who writes religious children’s books. That isn’t me, though.)

I
More about Lucy Diamond...
The Beach Cafe Sweet Temptation Christmas at the Beach Cafe One Night in Italy Me and Mr Jones