Inhuman (Fetch, #1)

Inhuman (Fetch #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,124 ratings  ·  466 reviews
In a world ravaged by mutation, a teenage girl must travel into the forbidden Savage Zone to recover lost artifacts or her father’s life is forfeit.

America has been ravaged by a war that has left the eastern half of the country riddled with mutation. Many of the people there exhibit varying degrees of animal traits. Even the plantlife has gone feral.

Crossing from west to e...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Inhuman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inhuman

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
78th out of 931 books — 2,077 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
248th out of 1,479 books — 10,195 voters

More lists with this book...

Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
If love triangles where at least one of the dudes is an über-douche don’t bother you, you might be fine reading this book.

I hate triangles. I frigging hate them. I want to kill all of them with fire. This is one of the ones that I’d like to kill slowly with fire. I’m not exaggerating when I say that Rafe, one of the love interests, ruined a lot of this book for me. More specifically, I should say that it was our MC, Lane, and her interest in him that ruined this book for me.

The guy is an ASSHOL...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages Read: 18, the first chapter

Reason I quit:

All of the characters are idiots thus far, but the real reason I stopped was this (on page three):

When the wall went up eighteen years ago, that part of the country became as mysterious to us as Africa was to the rest of the world in the nineteenth century. The Feral Zone was our Dark Continent.

That's racist! photo thatsracist_zps8b69df61.gif

But wait! There's more!

"'I know what's over there.' She plucked a bottle of hand sanitizer from the back pocket of my jeans. 'Rubble and disease.'
'And mutan...more
Whitley Birks
See more book reviews on my blog.

This book starts out by comparing a land full of virus-infected, bestial people to Africa. And then it manages to go downhill from there.

There were so many problems with this book, they drowned out the good parts. The premise for this story was fairly good, if you can accept comic-book-science, and the plot line was exciting and engaging. It’ll keep readers interested, even readers like me who are busy rolling their eyes the whole time, so that’s actually impress...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
I DNFed this book at 50% and could not bring myself to read on. I was extremely confused by the world building, I really wanted to me immersed by the danger of a dystopian world plagued by mutant creatures, but how this world was presented in the book did not capture my attention. I felt that there was an excessive amount of time wasting right after Lane left the wall, and I was extremely bored by what follows afterward to the time she finally escaped from the soldiers.

I truly found the idea of...more
Sheri
This was such a great story! Full of adventure, mystery, and surprises, Inhuman is a definite must read.

Lane grew up in the West and, like most people under the age of 19, has never seen what is on the other side of the wall that separates them from the East. Having lived a relatively sheltered life in the West, she and her friends have only heard stories of the feral territory of the East where the Ferae virus, which turns humans into feral human-animal hybrids, is still very much active after...more
Estelle
This review can also be found on Book Probe

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Inhuman by Kat Falls is a fast paced, action packed novel that will thrill many readers to come. I went into this book without any expectations at all however I was pleasantly surprised in the end.

One of novel’s strongest points is its premise. From the very beginning, it immediately grabbed my attention and it certainly did not disappoint as the story progressed. The effects of mutation from the fictional, man-made virus were bo...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, NetGalley is giving away ARCs of this one for free, so ... sure, why not? Sounds pretty crazy.

Also ... is it just me, or does the cover look an awful lot like the Divergent covers?
Leigh
Expected publication: September 24th 2013 by Scholastic Inc.
original title: Inhuman
ASIN B00B9FX5ES
edition language: English
series: Fetch #1
Source:Netgalley EARC

I was intrigued by the premise of Inhuman, and I knew I had to give it a try. I was completely blown away! It is an action packed adventure, full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing. You will not want it to end. I know I didn't.

Sixteen year old Lane has lived a pretty sheltered life. Like everyone els...more
Dianne
Attention YA dystopian fans! Ready for a slightly different teen heroine in a slightly different dystopian society? Inhuman by Kat Falls was a VERY pleasant surprise for me! Sure, we have a teen girl, raised in a sheltered environment who has a germ fetish and an almost endless supply of hand sanitizer, but that’s all explained! We also have two handsome guys, one the definitely the damaged good guy, one the definitely damaged bad boy, both strong, brave and interested in Lane. The best part of...more
J.A. Belfield
Inhuman by Kat Falls is one of the craziest books for content I’ve read in a long time. But in a good way. For me, it held flavours of Under the Never Sky blended with a twisted Wizard of Oz vibe blended with Alice in Wonderland … yet still managed to remain itself, and that somehow gave it a uniqueness, allowing it to stand out in its own right, and making it a very enjoyable read.
The MC, Lane, is a strong character for leading this whacky tale. Her development shows her strengths comi...more
Sara
I laughed out loud quite a few times in this book, but not in any way the author would have intended. The plot was right on the border between okay and ridiculous. A talented author could have salvaged it with a good story, but Kat Falls does not deliver. Her characters are flat and uninteresting. I can't be the only person out there who is sick of gorgeous characters running into countless other gorgeous people (even though it's the end of the world)... especially when the supermodel-like girl...more
Sana
I loved this book, which I got from my librarian as an ARC.

The only thing I disliked was the ending, and the fact that she did not end up with the guy I wanted her to end up with. WHY... I don't know.

But it is only the first book, right? Things can change...

This is also the first book I've read by Kat Falls, and I am impressed with her storytelling. Her sentences are okay and all, but the whole story formed together really well.

Things I liked:

-There was a plot that actually moved and surprised...more
Serena
I give 3.75 stars

If you don't read past 50% of this book then you really have not read this book at all because that's when the REAL action starts.

OMGGGGG this book would've totally been 4 stars if it didn't take so long for the plot to really begin, though I can see the desire in wanting to have a thorough foundation for the story. So let me get to the main point...

CAN THERE BE TWO MORE PERFECT GUYS IN ONE STORY!? ANSWER: UHH-NOOOOO

I can't even blame Lane for not making a conscious decision be...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Action-packed dystopian novel filled with great characters, sweet romance, and suspenseful moments. This is a must read for all YA Dystopian fans, it will not disappoint!

Opening Sentence: Now that I was actually on the roof of the skyscraper, I was having second thoughts.

The Review:

It is the year 2026 in America and life as we know it no longer exists. 18 years ago there was a virus unleashed that killed millions and left many more mutated w...more
Denise Weintraut
Despite a clunky beginning, this story held true to my expectations; it gave me a rollicking adventure with a new outlook for a dystopian novel. I'd enjoyed Kat Falls storytelling with Dark Life and Rip Tide, and Inhuman was terrific storytelling, too. I didn't like the obvious background knowledge that was just plopped in the reader's lap in the beginning as I wanted to be teased into the storyline. However, once I was there, I couldn't let go.

Delaney Park, so named for a now off-limits city, i...more
Mary (Ravenclaw FTW!)
Real Rating: 1.5

I hate frogs. We have toads out in my desert that are poisonous and I grew up with my dogs getting into them and going pretty insane. Luckily they lived through it, but watching your dog thrash around because it got the wrong sort of high from a toad is not fun.

Even if I were to find out that frogs and toads are the sweetest, nicest, most well behaved creatures with a heart of gold, I would still hate them because you can't erase the past. Every time I look at a pole in my backy...more
Danica Cannon
Wow.

Can we just talk about the characters for a minute? Because their relationships with each other and their dialogue had me laughing hysterically! Rafe is so snarky and hilarious that I was practically rolling. He’s been so hardened by his life in the Feral Zone that he has a sarcastic sense of humor and has toughened himself to survive at all costs, yet as the story progresses you learn more about his background and about how caring he can actually be.

Then there’s Everson, the stoic line guar...more
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

This is my third round of "Fun With Limericks," a (hopefully) fun way of dealing with books I didn't finish, or I finished, but for whatever reason, I felt I could not write a proper review.

Today, I bring you a limerick for Inhuman by Kat Falls. I actually did finish this book, even though the experience was quite unpleasant. It was easy to forget that this is a novel with a post-apocalyptic setting, because the protagonist seemed less con...more
Abbie
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review)

The premise to Inhuman was quite an interesting and original idea.
I really liked how the author made a dystopia / apocalyptic with human/animal hybrids instead of zombies.

Unfortunately though, the story didn't live up to my expectations.
The pacing was slow through the majority of the book, and i found my self bored quite often.

At times, i found Lane quite stupid. After an encounter with a feral hybrid, where she was left uncons...more
Lori
OMG!!! This is one of the best books I've ever read!!! Once I got into it (and that was almost immediately), I couldn't put it down. At times I yol (yelled out loud), col (cried out loud) and lmh (lost my heart) to the story. The book was exciting, heartwarming, full of surprises and wonderful characters. Thank you for the ARC through Goodreads' First Read Giveaway Kat Falls!
Abbe "The Sexy Gryffindor" Hinder
I'm not even going to try with this one. After barely finishing the first chapter, I can tell that I will hate all the characters, it's a racist piece of crap that should burn and well...I'm too lazy to get into another uncreative dystopian.
Angie
The world has been decimated by a deadly virus. At first the virus killed you quickly, then it mutated into something else. Now if you get the virus you may mutate into an animal and become savage or you might just die. The East has been cut off because of the virus. A giant wall divides the US at the Mississippi River. No one in the West is allowed to cross over into the East and no one in the East is allowed in the West.

Delaney Park lives in the West with her father. She has a privileged life...more
paula
The ONLY reason this smartly-written adrenaline ride doesn't get 5 out of 5 stars is its heavy reliance on coincidence...and I'm not even sure I should ding it for that, given the slightly fairytale (and we are talking Grimm, not Disney) characters, settings, and plot. There is a high wall, there is a humble village beset by a monster, there is an evil queen. She even wears a fur cape.

Kat Falls writes well, builds cool worlds, paints terrific settings, and is REALLY interested in human-animal hy...more
Natalia
DNF at 81%. I just can't continue this anymore. I was reading some reviews and accidentally came across a spoiler that confirmed that I was 100% right in my predictions about the plot. No, really, there wasn't a single thing I didn't see coming and haven't guessed in advance, nothing to surprise me at all. Add to this a lack of compelling characters and zero humor, and you get a very bored and disappointed me.

The story held so much promise, dealing with such an interesting and controversial subj...more
Jackie

Book Info
Expected publication: September 24th 2013 by Scholastic Inc.
original title Inhuman

Book Buy Links

AMAZON

B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Scholastic and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Lane lives in a dystopian society, where beyond the boundary wall live people who are known as ‘feral’ – part-human, part-animal hybrids.

When Lane is picked up for possibly being infected (having the disease that turns people feral), she soon learns that the reason is that her father has been going across the boundary to the old city of Chicago to bring back pricele...more
Jenny
It Would be Inhuman to Deny Your Teen Reader This Book

Anyone who read Kat Falls' previous 2 novels, Dark Life and Rip Tide, will not be surprised to learn that I raced through her new book, Inhuman.

Inhuman describes a world in which a virus, Ferae, has changed human society. Those who don't carry the virus live in the West behind a wall and live in constant fear of contracting Ferae, and for good reason. Ferae causes its victims to genetically mutate, and eventually become more animal than huma...more
Tammy
A terrible virus was accidentally released in the Eastern United States, people fled west, now there's a wall to the west of the Mississippi. Healthy people live in the west, the sick and the outcasts live in the east. This virus has three stages: the early fever when the body tries to fight it off; the middle stage where the body mutates; and the final stage where the victim becomes insane and aggressive--Ferals.

To save her father, Lane has to go beyond the wall. She's aided by a soldier who'l...more
Wendy
Mar 23, 2014 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Recommendations
"Inhuman" by Kat Falls is a fast-paced, imaginative dystopian thriller that begins in a world ravaged by a feral virus that has genetically changed humans into mutants. In the West, Lane McEvoy is fascinated by tales of a Feral Zone beyond a wall that keeps them safe from infection, little suspecting that her father is a "Fetch" and for years has retrieved artifacts from the region to help stave off creditors after the death of her mother and to bring humanitarian relief to the "manimals" in Mol...more
Donna
Jun 09, 2013 Donna marked it as to-read
This definitely sounds like my kind of book!

Not gonna lie, though. That last part in the synopsis about this mysterious stranger is already ringing insta-love bells inside my head.
graphic content 2 26 Dec 19, 2013 04:35PM
Inhuman Sequel? 3 32 Dec 06, 2013 04:10PM
The Not-So Austen...: Inhuman - November BOTM Discussion 1 8 Nov 16, 2013 04:29PM
  • Countdown
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • The Darkest Path
  • Contaminated (Contaminated, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Stung (Stung, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
Kat Falls lives in Evanston, IL with her husband, theater director Robert Falls, their three children, and a whole slew of pets. She grew up in Silver Spring, MD, attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as an undergrad, and went on to receive an MFA from Northwestern University, where she now teaches.

Kat is the author of the middle-grade science fiction novels, Dark Life and Rip Tide, which she...more
More about Kat Falls...
Dark Life (Dark Life, #1) Rip Tide (Dark Life, #2) Untitled Waiting to Catch Fire

“They'll uncouple easily enough," Omar said dryly.
"You're wrong" Rafe met the man's one-eyed gaze head on.
My heart slowed. What was he doing?
Omar snorted. "You'll forget her in a week."
"Not a chance. I've loved her since I was ten, long before we even met"...
"So if you try to take her from me," Rafe went on lightly, though his eyes had a dangerous gleam, "I will stick a steel knife in your happily ever after and gouge out its guts”
6 likes
“He swept his hand, indicating me from head to toe. "It's like you just broke your seal and slipped out of your plastic wrap".
"Why does everything you say sound obscene?"
"You look like a doll that's never been played with. That's all I'm saying. I can't help it if you have a dirty mind”
4 likes