Last Stop This Town
Open Preview read excerpt

Last Stop This Town

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The debut novel from "American Pie" series screenwriter David H. Steinberg. It's the last weekend before high school graduation, and as they prepare to go their separate ways, four life-long friends spend a wild and raucous night in New York City that forces them to face their fear of growing up... and growing apart. West Hartford, Connecticut. Growing up in the suburbs is...more
Published March 7th 2012 by Monkey Business Press

To ask other readers questions about Last Stop This Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Stop This Town

Robert Maier
This may be one of the useless books I have ever attempted to read. It could be subtitled: “No teen cliché left out.” It is a world where a bag of Fritos is “sweeeeeet,” reckless speeding is the bravery equivalent of storming a bastion of Taliban, the only cool sex is completely irresponsible, and parties are the entire point of life.

Politics, philosophy, and any other discussion is totally replaced by snarky remarks, vacuous observations, and lame mean comments. After reading about half, I ski...more
Pegysue
When I started this book I was only going to read a couple of chapters and then run some errands. Well I never put the book down til I finished the last page. What a fun read, I loved it. Four guys who have been friends for most of their lives having their last hoorah before going off to college. And what an experience they had, I laughed out loud at times, got teary eyed at other times and cringed at still other times!! I highly recommend this book! Thanks to Goodreads First reads where I won t...more
Brianne
Last Stop This Town is about the last weekend before High School Graduation for 4 seniors -Dylan, Noah, Pike, and Walker. Growing up in a boring suburb town in Connecticut, they decide to make their last weekend eventful and memorable by going to a rave in NYC. Little did they know what was in store on the journey to get to the rave.

Last Stop This Town took me right back to high school, I loved going to raves and had a few interesting weekends myself. I really enjoyed this coming of age book, it...more
Nancy
The books that I have gotten to review lately have been awesome and Last Stop This Town was no exception. I loved it right from the beginning. What first compelled me to read this book was the fact that I had never read a book like this one, but I ended up loving it because it was so different. As I was reading this book, I could imagine this being a movie! It was very much in keeping with the tone of the American Pie movies and other similar movies. I read this book in about a day, I was glued...more
Jenna
May 08, 2012 Jenna added it
Shelves: fiction
If you liked the American Pie movies and want to read a book that has the same feel, you may enjoy this uninhibitedly raunchy YA novel by American Pie series screenwriter David Steinberg.

It seems to me that the majority of so-called "young adult novels" are marketed toward female readers, and I'm curious to learn whether anybody has any insight into why. Are teen boys simply not as avid about book-reading as teen girls? While teen girls huddle between library shelves or sip Barnes & Noble Ca...more
Melanie Cusick-Jones
How much fun was this book to read? LOADS! :)

Last Stop This Town is a great graduation/road trip story: it keeps you laughing regularly throughout the story with fantastic dialogue, heart-warming (and non-cheesy) guy-bonding relationships. Some of the set pieces are familiar but done well or with quirky twists - and in honesty there are so many truthful elements to the scenes that I found myself genuinely caught up in the story page after page.

Being a book written by a successful movie screenwri...more
Alison
Looking for a book that can go from a homeless dude throwing his own poop to a sentimental scene between lifelong best friends in less than 200 pages? This book is raunchy, sentimental, hilarious and totally engaging. I started reading it this morning before work and finished it this evening after I got home. Although my high school days are sorta far behind me, I related to the "end of an era" theme as a semi-recent college graduate. The ending made me tear up a bit, too. I look forward to read...more
Tellulah Darling
I fell in love with these guys on the first page. Every nuance of theirs was so perfectly realized that I couldn't help cheering them on and hoping that this night would indeed be the stuff of life-long memories. Funny and touching, this story has it all. David H. Steinberg has totally captured that fragile high school graduation period when childhood and security definitively end and our "real" adult lives begin. It is not easy to depict this important cusp but he does so with grace and humour.
Keetgi
Yes, I'm clearly biased but this book is honestly such a fun read.
Karen
Enjoyable quick read. Very easy to visualize as a movie!
Joli
May 29, 2012 Joli added it
I admit it, I was lured into reading this book by the setting - NYC, the timeframe - the weekend before graduation when the characters would be on the cusp of change, and by the author - an American Pie screenwriter. I loved most of the movies of the franchise and was swayed to read the books for that reason.

AND I wanted to read a book that would make me laugh my face off.

Last Stop This Town reads like a raunchy teen comedy. The main characters best friends Dylan, Noah, Walker and Pike fill a n...more
Kerri
Four teenage boys--a ladies man, a lover, a dork, and an oddball--are looking for one last hurrah together, partying it up and trying to get laid, before they have to grow up and go off to college.

Does the plot seem familiar? Tragically, it's the same plot given to us by Adam Herz, in ,American Pie. David H. Steinberg, who is credited with writing the storylines for American Pie 2 and American Pie: Book of Love, should, and probably does, know this.

As a fan of the American Pie movies, I entered...more
Evie
***Originally posted to: Bookish Book Blog |YA and Adult Book Reviews, Author Interviews, Guest Posts, Giveaways and news! ^___^

Packed with raunchy humour and hold-on-tight-to-your-socks action, Last Stop This Town is a delightfully entertaining, surprisingly elegant, and intensely gripping story of four friends' last weekend together. And boy, what a weekend it turns out to be! From the screenwriter of "American Pie" series, David H. Steinberg, comes a brilliant and refreshing tale of friendshi...more
Ginifer
3.5 of 5 Stars

This is a pretty good, quick read. There is some hilarious stuff in here, which is the main take-away value for this type of book. While a good bit of this story is similar to American Pie, I have to say the book is better. It had been a while since I watched the movie, and when I thought back on the characters, I remembered Jim, Stifler, Finch, and "that other guy." After viewing the movie again, I realized there are actually two "other guys" (completely forgot Chris Klein was eve...more
Rachael Woohoo
Rating Clarification: 3.5 / 5

If you want to see more of my reviews, check out my blog @ Moosubi Reviews!

As a current high school student, I suppose I'm supposed to relate to the four main characters in this novel. In a way, I did - at points, I understood their feelings of wanting to belong, questions about the future, and not wanting to let go of one's childhood. Other elements, I'm afraid, weren't as easy to relate to - however, Last Stop, This Town was definitely an entertaining read!

Last Sto...more
Jennie
This was an easy read, quick and fun. And completely bat shit crazy. I don't mean crazy in a good way either. This book is the first book version I've ever read of the wacky high school comedy genre (as in all of those terrible but entertaining movies). And like every wacky high school comedy the point is make the most of the time you have with your friends because everything is going to change. Which would be fine if Steinberg didn't beat the reader over the head with it. Subtlety is NOT his...more
Moody Lions
www.moodylions.com for more :)

(Parental advisory: This book contains strong language, drinking, drugs, and sexual situations, all involving teens.)------>; Well I mean, that's sort of to be expected.

Within the first few pages of the book, I wasn't very invested with the characters, I could barely remember their names. But with the progression of the novel, I quickly learned that each character had their own place in the story. Dylan, the leader of the pack and owner of the Cube, Noah, the mo...more
Billie
This review is based on a free copy of the book received from the publisher through the Goodreads Advance Reader process.

With their 12 year educational sentence nearly done what better way to celebrate then go to New York. Friends since the first year of their sentence, that would be Grade 1, they know that things will be changing after they graduate so this is a celebration of their friendship.

Typical banter amongst the four gives us clues as to their positions within their little clique.
Althou...more
Stephanie
Terrible. At first I thought it might be interesting, since I had never read a book written from the teenage male perspective. But the writing and the plot were just awful. It read a bit like an action film, complete with car chase. Good thing it was such a fast read.
John Mann
This was a tough decision for me, but I liked it enough to give it four stars. I kept thinking about how much the book was like one of the various teen comedy movies like Van Wilder, American Pie, Superbad, etc. After I had finished the book, I saw on Goodreads that the author was actually a screenwriter for several of these types of films, including American Pie! If you don't care for those kinds of movies, you'll probably not like this book.

This book is about four friends who are graduating f...more
grundoon
Unsurprisingly, a perfectly cromulent entry to the "American Pie" Meets "200 Cigarettes" And Maybe A Smattering Of "Road Trip", As Written By An "American Pie" Screenwriter genre. No more, no less.
Michele
Last Stop This Town' is about a group of friends and their fear of growing up, and most importantly, of growing apart.
Noah just broke up with his girlfriend, Pike is a pothead, Walker needs to get laid, and Dylan, well, he's DYLAN.
Being one week away from their graduation, Dylan decides the destination of the group on the weekend is a party in New York, instead of going to the traditional beach party hosted by Marco.

This change of plans results in many hilarious situations, as the four of them,...more
Nov 25, 2012 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
The trouble with this book is that there is so much extraneous detail... descriptions that don't matter, a lot of he said, she said, he sighed, etc etc that made for a choppy, disconnected read. I also wasn't too impressed to see that a screenwriter for the American Pie series would actually reference American Pie in his first book. It's just... I don't know tacky? There was a loose plot and a blah ending. This book, re-written in to a screenplay, would probably become another ok summer teen fli...more
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 2.5, all things considered. It's not a trainwreck, and it's very readable, but it's very much a paint-by-numbers last-hurrah-after-high-school road trip movie that seems to rely on pushing the envelope more than telling a solid story. Unfortunate because the book landed a number of good blurbs, further unfortunate since the author has written a number of films. Maybe it doesn't translate over as well. Can't really recommend unless you're really into this sort of lowbrow thing.
Juin Charnell
The action kept coming. Just when you think it can't get any crazier, the night in New York has more to offer. The four main characters are distinctly written. The plot is believable. There were some laugh out loud moments. There were too many pop culture references that may date this book in the future but it absolutely does not distract from the story at all. For me, it read like a movie. It's movie reference would be "The Hangover" meets "Adventures in Babysitting".
Angelica
Quick read, slightly cheesy, predictable (believable, but predictable) male characters and no depth to the female characters. And what is with the use of exclamation points IN the narrative? Please, no. Periods and commas only. Maybe an occasional semicolon.
Athena
Four friends about to graduate high school decide to head to NYC for one last memory making night. Last Stop This Town fits in perfectly between the childhood innocence of Stand By Me and the adult antics of The Hangover. I really enjoyed this book.
Kristie (fabk)
A great, quick read. The guys were all believable and loveable.
Their adventure was fantastic. I would recommend this if you enjoyed the Nick and Norah or Dash and Lily books. It has a similar adventure, edge of highschool/new life feel to them.
William
The book was entertaining......I had my doubts for several pages, but I stuck it out and felt a bit of understanding for Dylan, and Noah. I picture this more like this could have worked much better as a teen movie, rather than a novel.
Patricia
I actually enjoyed this book. The book was very short (less than 200 pages), but still very interesting. A very quick read, I finished this book in a day between breaks at work. Starts off good, and ends good. Very fun read!
Q&A with Davi...: Last Stop This Town 8 14 Apr 12, 2012 04:39PM
Q&A with Davi...: Screenwriting in general 1 9 Apr 11, 2012 08:19AM
Q&A with Davi...: Welcome 1 7 Apr 11, 2012 08:16AM
  • The Parrot Talks In Chocolate (The Life And Times Of A Hawaiian Tiki Bar)
  • Crossroads Road: A Novel
  • Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life
  • Catching the Westbound
  • This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store
  • The Lives of Rachel
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • Welcome to Fred (The Fred Books, #1)
  • How to Fail: The Self-Hurt Guide
  • Village Books
  • Still Life With Brass Pole
  • The Girl From Long Guyland
  • Beyond Nostalgia
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Live from the Road
  • The Missing Link
  • Happy Hour
David H. Steinberg is the screenwriter of the cult classic movie Slackers, National Lampoon's Barely Legal, and several films in the American Pie series. He grew up in West Hartford, Connecticut, entered Yale at age 16, and earned his law degree from Duke, where he served as editor-in-chief of the law review. He practiced law for four years before abandoning his legal career to attend the USC Scho...more
More about David H. Steinberg...