Start by marking “Illegal (Hayling Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Illegal (Hayling Cycle, #2)

Illegal (Hayling Cycle #2)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  10 reviews
'Illegal' is the story of a teenage girl, driven to take desperate measures when all other choices are taken away from her. It is a touching, surprising and painfully honest story.
Published March 20th 2012 by Meadowside Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Illegal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illegal

TheBookAddictedGirl
Ever since baby Jemma died, Lindy's family has fallen apart. Her brothers are in prison and her parents spend all their money on alcohol and gambling.
So when she's offered a job by her cousin, she takes it, desperate to escape. But she's soon in way too deep: her cousin is a drug dealer, and she's caught in the middle. With no way out, she's trapped, caught in a downward spiral…
Until she finds an unexpected ally in the new boy: strange, mute Karl. With his help, can Lindy escape the web she is
Sue Hyams
This is the second book in Miriam's Hayling Island cycle and it's every bit as powerful as the first. Fast paced, exciting, and so tense that you almost can't bear to read on, yet you have to. Lindy, the protagonist, is a brilliantly drawn character - both complex and naive - and it's a joy to see how she grows. Highly recommended!
Savita Kalhan
A great teen read that explores family relationships, identity and mutism. You'll be rooting for Lindy throughout!
Serendipity Reviews
This is the second book in a cycle of three novels set in Hayling Island. I have a bit of a soft spot for this series as Hayling Island isn't that far from where I live, so I find I can totally related to the setting of the books. It feels like I am reading about a neighbouring village. The author clearly shows there is more to a UK coastal village than fairground rides and an ice cream hut. Real life occurs there,just like everywhere else, when the tourists go home, people still have to live th ...more
Tom Harris
Lindy Bellows is fifteen and has a car-wreck of a family. Her two older brothers are at a Young Offenders Institution and since her baby sister, Jemma, died of meningitis five months ago her parents have been no use to anyone. Lindy is plagued by guilt, blaming herself for Jemma's tragic death as she tries to take care of her younger brother, Sean, and hold her dysfunctional family together.

Constantly teased at school by posh girl Jess who calls her 'Benefits Bellows,' Lindy is in turmoil and a
Ever since Jemma died Lindy's family has been falling apart - her mum has lost her job and started drinking, her dad spends his time gambling away the little money they have and her older brothers are both in the young offenders institute. Lindy is trying to hold things together for her younger brother Sean but quickly finds herself in deep trouble. Offered a job by her cousin she sees it as a lifeline but soon ends up caught in an international drugs ring completely unable to see a way out. Som ...more
Book Angel Emma
Guest Review by Beth

Illegal is the second in Miriam Halahmy’s series of books based on Hayling Island and after reviewing Hidden back in October I was really keen to get my teeth into Illegal. It did not disappoint.

Illegal deals with some seriously adult issues, which at times had me wondering if it was indeed a YA book but it deals with them in a mature but readable way which I think is part of its charm and well, genius.
Throughout Illegal our protagonist is Lindy, who featured in the first nov
hawwa
Ever since baby Jemma died, Lindy’s whole world has fallen apart. Her two older brothers are ‘’away’’ in a Young Offenders’’ Institution, her dad gambles his life away; her mum has lost her job and wanders round the house doing nothing and her younger brother Sean who is only nine years old, relies on her for everything. Even Lindy herself isn’t ‘’normal’’. She is the loner and freak of the school. Bullied and taunted she has taken it upon herself to grow a spear nail for protection and, in secr ...more
D.J.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this YA novel. It tackles difficult topics in an effective way, and it made me laugh and feel like crying at times. I wanted to wave a magic wand and make everything better for some of the characters.
Beth
Review Coming
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Gemma Carlson
Gemma Carlson is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Livvy Day
Livvy Day marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 08, 2014
Sarah added it
Mar 06, 2014
Merlissa
Merlissa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Ciska
Ciska marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
I have been writing since childhood and started with poems, stories and diaries. I taught myself to play the guitar and wrote songs. I have published short and long fiction for children, teens and adults and two poetry collections.

My cycle of three Young Adult novels are published by Meadowside, 2011/2013. I also review books, publish articles, I am a writing coach and I appraise manuscripts. I a
More about Miriam Halahmy...
Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1) Stuffed (Hayling Cycle, #3) Secret Territory Peppermint Ward Cutting Pomegranates: With Sculpture by Oded Halahmy