Start by marking “Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen (Liberty Frye, #1)” as Want to Read:
Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen (Liberty Frye, #1)

Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen (Liberty Frye, #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The average ten-year-old girl seldom travels far from home. She doesn’t worry about being kidnapped by witches or imprisoned in medieval castles where children are ensnared to meet their unspeakable demise. She rarely gives thought to curses, potions and magic. She certainly isn’t concerned about risking life and limb to decipher ancient rites and lost treasures....

But Lib
Published February 4th 2012 by Penelope Pipp Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen

Claire
Jul 02, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it
Thanks to author J. L. McCreedy for the review copy of this novel, which is aimed at teen/young adult readers.

Liberty ('Libby') Frye has just turned ten years old when she learns the grandmother she once thought to be dead is actually very much alive. Libby and her parents set off on a journey to visit the elderly relative, but things take a rather strange turn almost immediately...

This is a book that I'd have loved as a young reader! Libby is a strong character, likeable and endearing and I can
Monica T
Apr 27, 2016 Monica T rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I came across this book as temporarily free for Kindle in December 2013.
This is a copy of a review I wrote back then for my own blog and also posted at Amazon.com.

An enjoyable spicy mix of friendship, magic and adventure

The first chapter or two made me initially suspect that it might be too much of an imitation of Harry Potter; but as the story proceeded, I think it turned out to stand on its own feet. Of course it has evident roots in a magic fairy-tale tradition familiar from both old and n
LitPick Student Book Reviews
Jan 03, 2016 LitPick Student Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen is a book about a young girl named Liberty Frye, or Libby as she likes to be called. Libby and her family seem strange to everyone in their small town. They seclude themselves from society and don’t often meet with anyone, except when Mrs. Frye brings cakes and things to people who are sick. Also, the Fryes are overly protective of Libby, who hates that her parents won’t let her communicate with anyone beyond her classmates.

One day, the Fryes receive a mys
Jalyn Ely
Jul 02, 2014 Jalyn Ely rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I’m pretty sure I had a good reason when I picked this up, but come time to write a review and I can’t remember what made me want to read this.

Libby was okay. I think the main reason I didn’t like her a lot is she was 10. She had a bold, fearless personality that I’m sure I would have loved in a teenager, but I wasn’t so crazy about her as a ten-year-old.

I think the story really should have been about Ginny. She went from shy and timid when Libby met her to brave and courageous at the end of the
E V Scarlett
Jun 21, 2014 E V Scarlett rated it liked it
Libby Frye is a somewhat ordinary girl, except her parents blame her for everything and keep secrets from her and always tell her it’s for her own good. She’s learned to live with her overbearing mother and father. When a mysterious yellow envelope appears and her parents decide they’re going to Germany to see her grandfather, Libby is ecstatic. Her parents are bringing her with, and they’ve promised to tell her everything when they return from Europe. Except then her grandmother poisoned her pa ...more
Lisa Tobleman
May 30, 2014 Lisa Tobleman rated it liked it
This is a review of a Netgalley edition. It was free in return for an honest review (this is the same review from my blog)

This is a dark tale along the lines of classic fairy tales, but without the charm and sparkle that I like to see in a middle grade book. It is not poorly written, and the main character Libby is likable but there were too many times when the dialog either vaulted me out of the story “vat is dat?” …. or I just had to sit back and go “wait what just happened?”. The small German
Paige
May 16, 2014 Paige rated it really liked it
I am always happy to be able to read and review a good middle grade fiction book. While I am past the target age group, I like to read a wide variety of things, and sometimes a book like this is just the ticket. It didn't take me long into reading this book to realize that Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen is one of my favorite kinds of books--the ones with strong female characters. Libby may be ten years old, but she has a mind that, to me, reads far beyond her age. Her as the main charact ...more
Natalie Montanaro
Apr 11, 2014 Natalie Montanaro rated it it was amazing
Most little girls are content with making friends, enjoying summer vacations, planning parties, baking cookies and generally caught up happily in the routines of everyday school and family life. Not Liberty Frye! She’s a spunky, cynical, energetically brave and oftentimes somewhat impatiently irritable young lady whose own unbelievable adventure is just about to begin.
J. L. McCreedy writes a novel that whispers hints of old Grimm, the likes of Hansel and Gretel’s horrible plight, Harry Potter’s
Roxanne Crouse
Jun 07, 2012 Roxanne Crouse rated it really liked it
I don't normally read middle-grade novels, but I'm glad I read this one. Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen by J.L. McCreedy is a well plotted, fun, adventurous read. The novel follows a classic fairy tale structure, but is written in a modern style so modern readers will enjoy reading it. The story is full of well developed, colorful characters and moves at a fast pace that will keep you entertained. Young Children will love to read, or have their parents read this story to them. A big plus ...more
Melysah Bunting
Dec 18, 2012 Melysah Bunting rated it really liked it
Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen by J.L. McCreedy is a young adult story about a ten year old girl, Liberty Frye, who loves to read and dreams of adventures. Living in Baluhla, Alabama with strict parents isn't much fun, but one day a mysterious girl named Ginny appears. Shortly after Ginny shows up a strange envelope shows up on the doorstep. What's with all these peculiar incidents?

Liberty Frye's parents go all hush-hush. Liberty all of a sudden finds herself in Germany around Christmas
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jul 02, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it really liked it
Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen

by J.L. McCreedy

193 pages- ages 9+

Published by Penelope Pipp Publishing on February 4, 2012

(ebook reviewed)

It all started when Libby’s parents got a letter from her grandparents saying Libby’s grandfather was ill (Libby didn’t even know she had a grandfather). Libby soon found herself travelling to Germany with her parents to visit and care for her sick grandfather. What she found in Germany was a lot more than what she expected! Libby finds out that she is
Stan Roberts
Mar 18, 2012 Stan Roberts rated it it was amazing
I'm very glad I read this book. It was a unique story that was easy and fun to read. It has quite a few unexpected twists that will keep you excited and make it hard to put your kindle down. I like the main characters a lot and I also like the villain (actually villains, but the main one especially) as she is well developed and sort of sends a chill down your spine.
One thing I particularly like about this book, that is different than most of the books coming out these days, is that it is able t
Renee
Dec 16, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen is a rollicking adventure spanning two continents and featuring the impressive title character (Libby) who begins as an ordinary 10-year-old and who transforms into a confident girl who embraces her new identity as a powerful witch. But the best part of the story is the collection of quirky characters beginning with Uncle Frank who, despite being in a wheelchair, plays a critical role in protecting Libby. His old air force buddy, Sal makes a splash as he en ...more
Rebecca Ewing
Jan 11, 2013 Rebecca Ewing rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it. Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen was an enchanting story that kept me going from start to finish. It's a quick read, and the story develops fast enough to keep readers of all sorts engaged. It also encourages positive principles of loyalty and friendship in addition to generous sprinklings of humor throughout. The characters were all thoughtfully created and each adds a necessary ingredient to the story. Furthermore, as a parent, I was ...more
Gina Hott
Sep 18, 2014 Gina Hott rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9-14-girls
Hott Review:
What I liked: I generally enjoyed this book. It was a bit confusing in places, but I think it was just because I was reading too fast. There was nothing that I believe should deter middle-graders from reading this. Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen is a solid read with an interesting storyline and a fun plot. I’ll be adding it to my children’s TBR list ;) .
What I didn’t like: The book’s intro features a drunk neighbor and I almost put the book down thinking this had been imprope
Sagittarius Scholar
Jan 21, 2016 Sagittarius Scholar rated it really liked it
'Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen' is a fast-paced read, with twists and turns at every chapter. I enjoyed the book, and I LOVED the fast paced action. This book tells the story of a ten year old girl, called Liberty Frye, and her holiday to her mother's home town Hanau, Germany. The entire trip is shrouded with mystery, with many plot twists and surprises. Can Liberty handle all these secrets being revealed???

I recommend this book for action and mystery book lovers. If you also enjoy book
Kid Lit Reviews
Apr 26, 2016 Kid Lit Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reviews, 2015
Kids will enjoy the Hessen witch world and Libby’s place in it. The characters are edgy and often funny. The Hessen world, past and present, is enticing and curiosities abound. The writing drew me in then the plotting and characters grabbed me. If you like witches, magic, strange happenings, and the cautious spilling of secrets, you will love Liberty Frye and the Witches of Hessen.

To Continue Reading, Go To: http://bit.ly/LibertyFryeWitchesOfHessen
Dana
Nov 13, 2015 Dana rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a mystery/adventure story as 10 year old Libby Frye goes to Germany with her overprotective parents to meet a grandmother that she had not known existed. Once there, trouble compounds and it is up to Libby's best friend, Ginny to help her out. There are witches, an old fighter pilot, an international traveling goose, mysteries and magic in this fast paced story. I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
Alena
Feb 05, 2014 Alena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children-s, 2014
A lovely book
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Celise
Celise marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
E.
E. marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Marilyn Collins
Marilyn Collins marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mick Loves Books
Mick Loves Books marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jeanna Massman
Jeanna Massman marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Kate Matson
Kate Matson marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Kid Lit Reviews
Kid Lit Reviews rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Biscay
Biscay marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
J.L. McCreedy first learned a love of writing (and developed an incurable condition of wanderlust) while growing up in Southeast Asia as the child of missionaries. She holds a B.A. in English and a law degree, freelances as a writer and consultant for charitable organizations and, whenever possible, drags her splendid husband across the globe on ill-planned, shoestring adventures.

Also by J.L. McCr
More about J.L. McCreedy...