Start by marking “The Future of Our Past (The Remembrance Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Future of Our Past (The Remembrance Trilogy, #1)
Preview

The Future of Our Past (The Remembrance Trilogy #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  4,535 ratings  ·  594 reviews
Julia Abbot and Ryan Matthews have been inseparable best friends since the moment they met. Each of them fight an internal battle unwilling to risk their incredible friendship but unable to quell their deep longing for the other. On the verge of his departure to medical school and to her new job on the opposite coast, Ryan and Julia are forced to face the undeniable truth ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 338 pages
Published 2012 by Telemachus Press

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Our Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Our Past

Jackie
Aug 08, 2012 Jackie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like 50 Shades of Grey most likely
My blog for Book Reviews!

This book was not for me whatsoever. Maybe I set myself up to dislike the book as much as I did since I am not a romance-reading kind of person. I only discovered this book because it was on a recommendation list for people who liked Fifty Shades of Grey. I haven't read it, and I have heard horrible things about it, but The Future of Our Past had so many good reviews on here, I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't mind reading a story that has romance, but usually there
JaHy♕ Bitchy  Goddess ♥'s  everything CrAzY  ☿
. ***WARNING** Please don't let silly 'ol me deter you from reading the story. Gracias :-)

Otay time to get down to the nitty gritty. First off, this book gave me a friggin cavity.

This is a story of two best friends named Ryan and Julia whom mean the world to each other after 4 short years. Both want to be more than friends but neither were given the gift of a backbone so they keep their traps shut about their feelings(for way to fucking long) until finally one of them admits it(ahh, there is a g
Anne OK
A new-to-me-author who was highly recommended by a friend. This is the first book in "The Remembrance" trilogy. An absolutely breathtaking and unforgettable love story. I couldn't stop reading from the time I started until I finished a few minutes ago. And wouldn't you know it, I can't get the second book until who knows when. And then there's a third book, too. Warning: there's a huge cliffhanger at the end and I know this bothers lots of readers. For me, this book was magical and no matter whe ...more
Aestas Book Blog
I tried to love this book, I really did. I wanted to, but... there was just too much standing in my way.

I 'stealth' read this the other night and didn't post updates because I wasn't in love with it.

On the surface, it's actually a sweet story of friends who wished they were more but never found the courage to do anything about it. But what that led to just frustrated me to no end.

I guess it was because all the problems in this book stemmed from the direct actions of hero/heroine. There were n
Jenese (Readers Confession)
On first thought, I wished there was more back story to this couple. I understand that they have been best friends with sexual tension, secretly in love with each other, but I wanted to know more. I love romance books, but halfway through the book I was almost nauseated from all the "I love you so much." So much to the point that I was getting bored. I thought they had some cute banter between the two of them but it was more mushy mushy I love yous more than anything. I don't like when character ...more
Jen
Sep 07, 2014 Jen added it
DNF AT 38%. I'm sure this works for some folks, but if I have to read one more "my love" or "I love you so much" I'm going to throw my poor kindle against a wall. This one's just not for me.
Bobbie
WOW.... I'm shaking..... Incredible Love Story
You are captivated by the love these two charactures have for each other. I could not put this book down. The love this man Ryan has for Julia and her for him is consuming whole heart, body & soul. Their struggle to share their life together and yet still follow their personal dreams. Their so close to having it all and then........... (sorry you gotta read this book!)
I can't recommend this book enough, it's hot, sexy & loving that is not bey
Amanda
I really wanted to like this story. With all the 5 star ratings I went in with high expectations. This book unfortunetly didn't do it for me. I found the characters very unrealistic and hard to relate with. I couldn't feel their connection at all. I wish we got to know their back story more in depth. I didn't like how there was no back bone to their sotry. I get that there is sexual tension between best friends, but as a reader I want to be able to understand and feel their connection, and what ...more
Susan

If you're a prolific romance book reader, you become accustomed to (and frankly, enjoy) a certain amount of cheesiness: unrealistic "bedroom" talk, uber-perfection of characters, etc...that's why we read, right? :) But, it doesn't mean we don't have our levels of standards!

This book drove me bonkers. SO CHEESY. Every chapter was the EXACT same thing:

I miss you.
I love you so much I can't breathe.
Make love.
Both of us cry.
Why did we waste so much time?

Every single chapter! I would be ridiculously
Kelly 'Perusing Princesses blog'
WARNING: Contains one very hot and very heart meltingly loveable leading man!!:D

Well the first word that springs to my mind when thinking about this book is 'WOW!', secondly, I would like to say that it made a really nice change to pick up a book (or in my case, my kindle) and fall into the depths of those emotions of that first 'one true love' bittersweet despair.

For those of us who have been fortunate enough to know what its like to be in love; to remember that moment when it completely consum
Stephanie
I am going crazy after reading this book. It was truly amazing! I just finished about five minutes ago and I'm frantic because I have to know what happens next. I started this book four hours ago and couldn't put it down. I was suppose to be doing my graduate school homework for my vicious Quantitative Methods class (it was such a hard decision to make...yeah, right). Instead, I found myself engrossed in Julia and Ryan's love story!!

Thank you so much for sharing your books with us Kahlen. If I c
Arabella ~♡AB♡~ (Mrs Jase Dean)
This was very sickly sweet and was missing the most important part for me, the falling in love. The two main characters had already done that before the book started so I think that's what let it down for me.

However, it was very well written and their journey together was lovely and there is a massive cliffhanger so I will no doubt read the next one.
Becky
A few quotes that pretty much convinced me I'd never get to the end of this Cheesefest of bad writing, at just 3 percent into the book.
"Fall had left the trees barren of their lush leaves, reminding me of what my life would become if I went to Boston; a blank page, without the colors that Julia painted on my life. It seemed so bleak, a wasteland."

"They were all laughing and bantering with each other. My eyes flew to Julia. Her face was pink from the cold, her eyes were sparkling and laughter was
Taryn at My Secret Romance

I have to set this aside, unfortunately. This is a book I think I would've ended up loving, but it's just so sugary sweet that I cannot deal with it any longer. From the 'I love yous' and 'we want each other but can't be together', to the 'let's talk about everything else but our feelings' is shoved in my face within the first 20% of the book. It's too much too soon. Plus, too mushy for me.
Janey

Beautiful, touching, heartwarming story. Loved Ryan & Julia's relationship & how their hearts ached to be united forever. A cliffy approached, although I had been anticipating something since 2 thirds of the way through. So glad I have #2 to dive straight into...
Juls
First off LOVE the names of the main characters and that bracelet, where do i find one of those??? ;)

I'm not a romance hater, I love the idea of love. Makes me feel all mushy and softy inside. But even though Ryan and Julia had so much distance between them we only saw the coupling after all the wait. Had there been more about how they were coping and maybe thrown in more people like Liza and Vincent to make them sway from the relationship a lil I think I would have totally been on board with al
Holly
Julia & Ryan are best friends and have been inseparable since the moment they met years ago. But, as Ryan finds himself accepted to Harvard Medical School, the two friends not only have to face being separated by thousands of miles, but they also have to finally come come to terms with the fact that what they feel for each other goes way beyond friendship.

This story was, in a word, beautiful. Sometimes the simplest premise can make for the most enjoyable books. And when it comes right down t
Sheri
This book has so many good reviews, and I had been looking forward to reading it for a while. But, I had a really hard time getting into the story. It's not that it was bad or badly written, I think it was just too sickly sweet and sappy for me. The "I'm so scared where this is going," "I love you more,", No, I love you more," and "I miss you so much" lines got old really, really fast. What the story came down to was a lot of missing each other, saying I've loved you forever but was scared to te ...more
Willow ~ The Romance Cover
Warning this review makes reference to things in the second book!

This is a tough book for me to review, because if I look at this book as an individual book I probably would have rated it a three. It was sweet, but seemed a bit slow in places for me, but it picked up at the end of the book via a cliff hanger. I had to read the second book straight away to see what was happening, and omg the second book is very good,I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it a lot, I really cared about what was going
Anna
This series is exactly what I needed. I absolutely adored this book ! Quickly onto the next one. It CANNOT end like that !!!
TAMMY CUEVAS
Ryan and Julia have been the best of friends through college, but have never admitted their true feelings for one another. Now, they face separation when he is accepted to Harvard Medical School and she accepts a job on the West Coast. Only at the last moment do they realize how much they love one another. The two of them must find a way to be together without sacrificing their hopes and dreams.

This novel has the unfortunate dialogue of a soap opera and the descriptive prose of a Harlequin roman
Vivian Dominguez
Ok..that's it!!!...I can't take this anymore!!!..I throw in the towel...I GIVE UP!!! This is a DNF for me...I tried finishing this..I really did...but it was TORTURE!!!

It was just too mushy & sweet for my liking and just lacking in so many things I look for in a great read...it felt like swallowing a spoonful of sugar and adding a spoonful of maple syrup along with another of honey....it was just...

Soooo..I stopped and said to myself...WTH r u doing??...This isn't like school that a teacher
~JenRen~
Vanessa
WTF?!? That's HOW this ends!!

GIFSoup

Review:

“I wanted her, but I wanted to make love to her, not just screw in some weak moment. I needed her body. As my friend, she was the most important person in my world, and I wasn’t about to screw that up.”

Ryan Matthews and Julia Abbott have been best friends since freshman year in college. The share everything…except how they feel for each other. When their lives start to drift in different directions; Ryan to Harvard Medical School in Boston and Julia t
Lisa
3.5 Stars

Let me start out by saying that the Julia and Ryan had hot chemistry; these two were unmistakenably in love. You know that couple that is always touching, always talking to the point where you want to gag, that is Julia and Ryan! I struggled with this book because of the lack of drama, angst, or some type of rollercoaster ride through most of the book. The couple had lots of sexual relations and said "I love you" and "I miss you" more times than I can count through the middle of the boo
Cathy✰
This book starts out with Ryan and Julia already knowing and loving each other. They met 3 to 4 years prior but never dated and denied their feelings for each other until graduation leaves them heading in different directions.

Here is why I only gave this book 3 stars:

1. It felt like instant love, because they fell in love with other before the book starts. This book skips over 4 years so I felt the author could have wrote some from when they first met and fell for each other.
2. Way to much tim
Hayley
Where do i start....

The relationship between Ryan and Julia was magical and you were brought into it when reading the book. I loved the book being written from both points of view as it was special seeing how they both felt about each other. It's difficult to put into words how many emotions this book put me through ( all good i promise ) i felt love, confusion, heartbreak, it had me in tears at the end and shouting at my kindle in others. All these things are what i look for in fantastic book.
Sandra
Oh God. Amazing, Brilliant read. I love this book so much i'm hyperventilating. It's a true love story, very pure and smooth. It wasn't as outrageously dramatic as most books are, very refreshing.

WOW!. Best read ever. I knew though that their would be a massive cliff-hanger at the end, i dreaded it, and I was right. Oh I can't wait for the sequel in July. I really can't.
Louise Rawcliffe
Holy cliffhanger!!

I quite liked this one but it felt like something was missing. I think it's because they were already in love at he beginning.

It was sickly sweet at times, always with the constant love yous, can't live without yous etc....

That said I am starting straight on book 2 as the cliffy makes me want to read on
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
Seriously what is going on with this kind of endings.... They are spreading like a disease!!
Come on authors! Chances are, if we picked up your book at the first place, we'll read the next book too. Thank God I waited for the second book to come out.
Back to my review I really liked it but I'll say more after book#2!
Have you read these yet? 3 53 Jun 29, 2013 05:40AM
Fantastic 2 17 Jun 28, 2013 10:53AM
The Remembrance T...: The Future Of Our Past 1 14 Mar 13, 2013 11:50AM
Blue Moon Book Lo...: February 2013 BOTM - "The Future of Our Past" by Kahlen Aymes 3 9 Feb 17, 2013 12:09PM
Shut Up & Read: The Future of Our Past by Kahlen Aymes 45 31 Oct 14, 2012 01:01PM
  • Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3)
  • Once Upon A Temptation
  • Live In Position
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • Black and White
  • Grave Refrain
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Gilded Cage
  • Healing Faith (In Your World, #1)
  • Welcome to Drama Academy
  • Edible Delectables
  • Color of Loneliness (Color, #1)
  • Pieces of Us
  • The Last Keeper (The Keepers' Chronicles #1)
  • Cure For Pain
  • Three Daves
  • Living Backwards
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
Kahlen is an award-winning author of sizzling hot, deeply moving contemporary romance. Her stories are filled with intense love, passion, angst and emotion that breathes life into her characters and leaves her readers captivated. She lives near Omaha, Nebraska with her daughter, Olivia and their three dogs. Creative by nature, she enjoys the arts, music and theater... But the love of her life is w ...more
More about Kahlen Aymes...

The Remembrance Trilogy (3 books)
  • Don't Forget to Remember Me (The Remembrance Trilogy, #2)
  • A Love like This (The Remembrance Trilogy, #3)
Don't Forget to Remember Me (The Remembrance Trilogy, #2) A Love like This (The Remembrance Trilogy, #3) Angel After Dark (After Dark, #1) Confessions After Dark (After Dark, #2) Promises After Dark (After Dark, #3)

“Don't forget to remember me, alright?” 52 likes
“She's already making the feast, Aaron. She's... perfect."
[...]
"Really? Jen! Get your ass in the kitchen and start making dinner. Julia is three hours behind you and she's already started!"
I laughed out loud again when I heard Jenna's response in the background. "You get your ass dressed. The turkey will be served at McFarland's Corner of 15th and Nichols. Bring your wallet, asshole.”
17 likes